JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

Any A.netters Attend Embry-Riddle?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey there!

I am a Senior in High School and I have applied for undergraduate admission to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. This weekend I am planning on touring the Daytona Beach, FL Campus. I am pretty excited about it as well. If accepted into ERAU, I plan on majoring in Aviation Management. I was just wondering if any fellow a.netters attended this University on account that it does deal with aeronautics. If so, did you like it? How were you able to pay for it? Just want to hear some ERAU testimonies, I guess.  Smile

Thanks!
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Mike89406

RE: Any A.netters Attend Embry-Riddle?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Thread starter):
Hey there!

I am a Senior in High School and I have applied for undergraduate admission to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. This weekend I am planning on touring the Daytona Beach, FL Campus. I am pretty excited about it as well. If accepted into ERAU, I plan on majoring in Aviation Management. I was just wondering if any fellow a.netters attended this University on account that it does deal with aeronautics. If so, did you like it? How were you able to pay for it? Just want to hear some ERAU testimonies, I guess.

Thanks!

I'm not at thae main campus as I am attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University worldwide in Nevada but I will still get my degree from the main campus in Florida. Me personally I am active duty military and Tuition Assitance along with the GI Bill is covering my costs all I pay for is books. I am in the Professional Aeronautics degree program with a minor in Management. Are you majoring in in a management degree? Anyways I think the education is top notch good luck.

For example we had a Accountant that worked for big name companies that was our professor in Mangerial Accounting, and a top notch economist from Spokane, WA teaching or Macroeconomics etc...

Mike

[Edited 2008-10-08 07:41:32]

panam330

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I go to the Daytona Beach campus, for Air Traffic Control. I like it here (didn't at first, but I think that's due to being 1200 miles from home), but I'm anxious to leave and start working. As for paying for it, I've got student loans out the ass, but it'll be worth it. Oh, and don't worry about getting in. As they joke about here, if you've got a pulse and a checkbook, you're good.  Wink

Dougloid

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:31 pm

That was an option when I went for my aircraft mechanic's training, but I ended up at Northrop Institute instead, mostly because of tuition prices and the need for a night school program.

If I'd a had my druthers I would have gone to Parks.

Funny, the people I teach for now own what used to be my old A&P school.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey Mike

I'm currently attending ERAU in DAB... I'm from Venezuela and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the performance ERAU shows on a daily basis... As any other school in the world it has many issues that still have to be fixed but I'm very happy overall.

I'm doing the same major as you're planning to do... it's pretty cool, even though I hate economics with all my guts. Some classes are horrifyingly boring and others are very cool (again, this is not uniquely here).

Flight school is very very tough... to get the private it takes a lot of hours and then the checkrides are quite tough too... but safety here is a big thing, so if you're coming for quality and safety you'll be happy...

feel free to PM me if you have any doubts...

cheers
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

mkeflyer717

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 pm

I am a freshman at ERAU at the Daytona campus. I'm majoring in air traffic management with minors in flight,meteorology, and aviation safety. For the most part I love everything here and the transition has gone very nicely. My classes are not terribly tough so far and some are interesting while others are rather boring. For instance, economics, english and business are definitely not my favorite subjects. The only good thing about them is that my professors are pretty cool, I just don't care for the subject material. Then again everyone has to knock off there basic classes in the beginning so I'll just have to deal with it for now. Another good point to bring up is the fact that there's so many choices. Im not exactly sure what else in aviation interets you, but there are so many interesting options if you decide to switch majors or pick up some minors. All the resources here are dedicated to aviation and the people are really friendly. Most importantly almost everyone has some sort of aviation interest which is pretty cool, it makes us unique as Im sure you know. On the other hand there is the whole girl issue around campus. You'll have to look pretty damn hard to find one in this 86% male college. There's always ways to find chicks off campus and at the beach, but be careful what you run into around daytona! haha

As for the dorms, Im in wood hall which is absolutely perfect even though our toliet stopped working 5 times lol. Its practically like staying in a hotel and there's lots of room. The food is decent. If you plan to drive good luck finding a parking spot at times with all the new construction beginning (they've begun the process of completely renovating the flight line).

There's lots of ways to get involved around campus and many pertain to aviation. Im in the ATC club and theres others like the airport management club which im sure you would be interested in. I was trying out for the flight team but I just couldnt make the time dedication work out. Overall, the education seems great, the classroom (at least all the ones Im in) are awesome, and the weather is nice except for the occasional tropical system that sweeps by, or in Fay's case, crawls by! Fay hit right during orientation week and that sure made things interesting. Well that's enough rambling for now, feel free to send me a message/email if you have any other specific questions. also check out the following link to read some current student journals, Im in one of them written by my suitemate talking about the whole toliet issue:
http://www.erau.edu/db/journals/

-Gaston

[Edited 2008-10-08 14:37:46]
Avoid the Chicago ORDeal!! Fly MKE!

Mike89406

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 4):
Hey Mike

I'm currently attending ERAU in DAB... I'm from Venezuela and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the performance ERAU shows on a daily basis... As any other school in the world it has many issues that still have to be fixed but I'm very happy overall.

I'm doing the same major as you're planning to do... it's pretty cool, even though I hate economics with all my guts. Some classes are horrifyingly boring and others are very cool (again, this is not uniquely here).

Flight school is very very tough... to get the private it takes a lot of hours and then the checkrides are quite tough too... but safety here is a big thing, so if you're coming for quality and safety you'll be happy...

feel free to PM me if you have any doubts...

cheers

I can only imagine how tough the flight school is we have a couple of private pilots that I have taken classes with. You're Pro-Aero? Cool I like the program as well. I have managed to finish most of my core classes the Math Cycle  Wow! I know people in Technical Management have to take an extra math class than my program usually turns out to be Decision Math, Managerial Accounting, and Physics those were my hardest classes although I did enjoy the experience. Half of my classes I have taken so far seems like we have had to write a term paper in APA format. The Fallon ERAU director is one of my coolest professors I have had hes also a private pilot and really laid back, however he's a term paper nazi as we term it. He will dock you points for every grammar error and other things it suppose has something to do with him being a Microsoft Word expert and he teaches MS word classes as well.

I am starting a new semester next week Financial Accounting, and Principles of Management which are two core classes I need for my BS Degree then all I have left for core classes are a Upper Level Humanities, and Microeconomics (mostly upper level) then it's all electives til graduation. The only thing is my semesters are 9 weeks the good thing is I can take up to 5 semesters a year the bad thing is I feel rushed cramming a lot of work.
After this semester I will need 24 credits for my BS I am psyched.

Mike

P3Orion

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting Mkeflyer717 (Reply 5):
Im in the ATC club

What exactly does the ATC club do?
Baker's 7 year, Carpano Antica, Luxardo, Bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters

Mir

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:49 am

I was just wondering if any fellow a.netters attended this University on account that it does deal with aeronautics.

Yes, for a flight degree.

If so, did you like it?

Yes and no. Overall, I wouldn't advise coming here. If you're looking to get a management degree and not fly, you can do much better elsewhere, certainly at your state school. Not only will it be less expensive, but the quality will be better (certainly for undergrad). You'll also get a full college experience, which you won't at ERAU (and that has nothing to do with the gender ratio). You'll also have the ability to move over to a different field if you find out that you'd rather have aviation as a hobby than as a career (and it does happen to some people).

If you're looking to fly, you're also better off elsewhere, for one simple reason: if you decide that flying isn't for you (and some do, for various reasons), if you're at ERAU you're screwed. If you're at a school with a broader range of academics, you're not screwed. This is not the sort of economy where you want to be locked into one career field.

Purdue, Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan and UND all have flight programs on the same level as ERAU's. They also all offer you the ability to expand your horizons in ways that ERAU does not (and expanding your horizons is an important thing to do). I'd give consideration to those. I'd also give consideration to just going to your state school and taking lessons at an FBO if you want to fly for fun and not as a career.

You can PM me for more information if you want.

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 8):
What exactly does the ATC club do?

Meets. Sometimes goes on tours to the facilities at DAB and MCO.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:36 am

Hey, thanks guys for all who applied. I actually have a tour at ERAU this upcoming Monday and I am spending all weekend in Daytona Beach, FL. I am extremely excited! I have everything almost taken care of and just need to send in my Blinn College transcript for my dual credit classes. Just a few more questions though. How are the people there? What exactly do you like best about the University? Did you apply for scholarships? If you work for ERAU for student employment, do you get a certain percent of your tuition knocked off?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:59 am

No problem dude,

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 10):
How are the people there?

Well, I compare it to an airport, actually. You can have from the highest level geek to the lowest level white trash LOL. Now, really, think about it. Riddle has a zillion programs, therefore you'll be able to see engineer, business, math-type guys... pretty much everything...

There are a few dudes who really seem that they came out of their rooms for the very first time to go to Riddle and become space engineers. It's quite funny most of the times.

On the other hand, you'll find the common type of people, from many parts of the world with same tastes (aviation) - even though there are some people who will tell you AIRPLANES? WHAT'S THAT?

What exactly do you like best about the University?

The campus is awesome. I love the Aviation building... wait 'till you see the Advanced Simulation Center... I still get goose bumps when I go in there (after more than 40 times)

If you work for ERAU for student employment, do you get a certain percent of your tuition knocked off?

Nope... student employment is probably a good excuse for me to get a social security number... that's it!

Cheers!

Mir

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:40 am

How are the people there?

There are a lot of military types, due to the large ROTC programs. There isn't a lot of political activism, nor are there a lot of artistic types, both of which you'd normally see at a university. Overall, the people are fine. There are those who think that they're god's gift to aviation - some might be, most definitely aren't - and they're a pain to be around. But they're relatively few in number. There are pretty much two groups: the pilots and the engineers, and there isn't a lot of intermixing (most of the classes are in seperate buildings that are pretty far apart), which is unfortunate.

The professors, at least in the aeronautical science department, are more of a problem. They're friendly, and have good knowledge of the subject material, but their teaching skills aren't always up to the level of their knowledge. They're good at getting you to the Understanding phase of learning, and some will get you to the Application phase of learning, but very few get you to the Correlation phase, which is where you really get to think about things outside of the course and how things interconnect. There's a lot of "this is what you need to know for the test" teaching and teaching to the lowest common denominator, and it's my opinion that college should be about more than that.

What exactly do you like best about the University?

The fleet of aircraft is well-maintained. You know that you're not going to be getting those irritating mechanical problems inflight. The professors, as I said, do know a lot - just that you have to pry it out of them. Also, for all the talk about the "Riddle Runaround", I haven't seen it (though my roommate seems to have spent the last three months in it).

-Mir

airbuske

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:49 pm

I'm a senior at ERAU's Daytona Beach campus. What can I say about my time here? From an engineering students' point of view, for the lower level classes like basic calculus, physics, dynamics etc, most of the professors are ... to put it kindly... appalling. How and why the school recruits these people beats me. But once you hit the upper 300 and 400 level courses, the quality of teaching in my opinion, is hard to match anywhere else. Most of the professors have a wealth of real life practical aerospace/aviation experience and you'll be amazed to as how motivated these guys can get you. Last semester I had professors who had worked 15+ years for NASA, Gulfstream, Lockheed Martin and Boeing. Even though they're teaching, most of them are still actively working on industry projects. If they like you, you can get the chance to work with them while still in school.

Social scene is really quite a drag. I like learning outside the classroom, stuff thats non-av related. Riddle and Daytona Beach unfortunately don't give you that opportunity. Everyone here has an aviation focus so you don't really get a chance to mingle or interact with people who will be treading other walks of life. The fact that there are no girls doesn't help either - and beware of riddle vision.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
There isn't a lot of political activism, nor are there a lot of artistic types, both of which you'd normally see at a university. Overall, the people are fine. There are those who think that they're god's gift to aviation - some might be, most definitely aren't - and they're a pain to be around.

I agree.

All said and done, the situation here has helped me grow as a person, perhaps more than I would have if I went to a traditional college. The social atmosphere is like a poisonous venom - it can really bring you down. But if you can get past that and stay focused on your education, you won't regret coming to ERAU. (atleast I haven't!)

panam330

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Also, for all the talk about the "Riddle Runaround", I haven't seen it (though my roommate seems to have spent the last three months in it).

This usually pertains to records/registration and financial aid, but mostly the latter. It's a nightmare if you have to deal with it (and I do, every single Fall for some reason).

Fly2HMO

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:06 pm

I guess I'll be the first and probably only PRC-campus guy to chime in...

I'm a soon-to-be super senior. I'm majoring in Aeronautical Science (pilot, in plain english). I got an amazing internship with CO so that pushed my graduation a bit back but it was well worth it. I'm (grudgingly) working on my CFI rating right now, was hoping to not do it but given the industry is in the crapper right now, seems like the only way to get hours.

In my 4 years here, I've learned a lot about flying, and maybe even more about life. This definitely is not a school for those looking for the "college experience" or who still aren't sure what they're doing with their life (I see that too often). The flight program is extremely rigorous, more so in the PRC campus (according to several DAB transferees I know here). Many people complain that they take the fun out of flying. As for me, I could see where they're coming from, but lets be honest, sooner or later in the airlines you WILL get an unruly passenger, a diversion due to crappy weather, compressors stalls, you name it. Same thing with training. It's not easy, and certainly not at Riddle.

I didn't fully grasp how good my education really was until I had the internship and went though 737 initial training. There were interns from Purdue, Kent State, and ERAU DAB and PRC. My sim partner is from the PRC campus as well. Long story short, we were the only ones that did not kill anybody in the sim sessions, nor did we ever crash. We were highly praised, and our instructor (who just happened to be #3 in seniority with CO) raved about our performance. Of course the first few sims were not perfect, but we quickly were doing procedures just as well as the new hire class, if not better (im pretty much quoting our instructor). The only other intern that came close to our performance was the kid from Purdue, and sadly, the worse one was from ERAU DAB, though that is not the schools fault but his own, he was more interested in partying than studying procedures and what not (what a surprise, a frat kid  Yeah sure ). He gave the DAB campus a bad name. The instructors really disliked him.

Also, all the airline employees would ask if we were from ERAU. They would just assume we were. Never would they ask if we were from any other school. That just goes to show how respected ERAU is.

Yes, it's the most expensive school out there. Yes, there's many other "quicker, cheaper and easier" ways to become a pilot. But from my experience flying with people from other schools, my education has been well worth the investment, and I haven't even graduated yet. You have to make the best out of your education, that's what matters most.

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 13):
(and I do, every single Fall for some reason).

You and everybody else.

Quoting Airbuske (Reply 12):
But if you can get past that and stay focused on your education, you won't regret coming to ERAU.

That is a key thing many kids here forget to do. You can still do well in school and have a social life. It's those retards that think they're still in highschool that have the most trouble in college.

If you didn't grow up in high school, you better start acting like an adult in college, or you WILL be screwed.

Quoting Airbuske (Reply 12):
The fact that there are no girls doesn't help either - and beware of riddle vision.

Yeah, don't expect to get laid, or loose your virginity in your 4 years here.

slider

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 14):
This definitely is not a school for those looking for the "college experience" or who still aren't sure what they're doing with their life (I see that too often).

You got that right.

Yes, it's the most expensive school out there.

As an ERAU alumnus, I'll say it's absolutely a terrible value. Horrible. In every degree program, and especially if Aeronautical Science when the flight hours can be had elsewhere.

Yeah, don't expect to get laid, or loose your virginity in your 4 years here.

Indeed--mostly a sausagefest. But I hear it's gotten better, ratio-wise, and quality wise from what I hear.

panam330

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 15):
But I hear it's gotten better, ratio-wise, and quality wise from what I hear.

Check and check. There are twice as many girls in the new frosh class than when I was one in Fall 2006 (not that I care). Also, in the past two years, IMO the quality has gotten much, much better. Brand new facilities at the DAB campus (gym, remodeled student center, new flight center, etc), better professors, and many other things that make Riddle more and more worth it.

Mike89406

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
Yes and no. Overall, I wouldn't advise coming here. If you're looking to get a management degree and not fly, you can do much better elsewhere, certainly at your state school. Not only will it be less expensive, but the quality will be better (certainly for undergrad). You'll also get a full college experience, which you won't at ERAU (and that has nothing to do with the gender ratio). You'll also have the ability to move over to a different field if you find out that you'd rather have aviation as a hobby than as a career (and it does happen to some people).

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
If you're looking to fly, you're also better off elsewhere, for one simple reason: if you decide that flying isn't for you (and some do, for various reasons), if you're at ERAU you're screwed. If you're at a school with a broader range of academics, you're not screwed. This is not the sort of economy where you want to be locked into one career field.

For me I am not locked in to a specific Professional Carrier specialty when I get my degree.

"In the Professional Aeronautics program, students can earn more than a quarter of the required semester hours from prior life experience and receive a bachelor degree in as few as three years. The curriculum includes courses of study that complement and build on all types of aviation backgrounds. If you have experience as a pilot, air traffic controller, or aviation maintenance specialist, this is the program for you. "

I am a Airframes Mechanic by trade and the cool thing about this program is while I can further my resume in my career field in the Navy which is Airframes Mechanic I am not limited to only working in that field only. Since I am active duty and attend the worldwide campus in Fallon I take night school while working my regular day shift. They are more generous to accept real life experience as a aviation mechanic as certain credits towards my degree. While it is true that ERAU is more expensive it is not the most expensive for me I know people that run out of tuition assistance that go to state colleges and have to use a chunk of their GI Bill.

I could go to a State school however getting my Bachelors Degree is something I want from ERAU although it's true some upscale and better equipped schools will get you a bang for your buck and status quo when applying for high profile and prestigious jobs I am confident that I can get hired on in many jobs in the civil aviation industry, government contractor, and non-avaition related jobs. Truth be told unless you're degree is highly specialized like flying, Doctor, Lawyer, Psychologist etc... A big thing companies are looking for is the check in the box like formal education, and real world experience.

Mike

Fly2HMO

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 am

But I hear it's gotten better, ratio-wise

When I first came in, the official ratio was 7 penisae to one vagina. Now its (supposedly) down to 6 to 1. And yes you see a wee bit more vaginae.  Wink

and quality wise from what I hear.

Naaah. Then again I have been immunized from Riddle-Vision, because my ex was a model  Wink

But yeah there's a couple I'd do. Nothing spectacular looking though. Sad part is that all the girls, even the freshmen, are true riddle bitches.

As per urban dictionary:

Quote:
Riddle Chick

A "Riddle Chick" is defined as any ugly, snobby, bitchy girl attending Embry Riddle that believes she is the most beautiful and desirable woman in the universe due to Riddle Vision.

In the real world, no one would look twice at a Riddle Chick, but at Embry Riddle, she may even become homecoming queen.

Typically, these girls are found with pot bellies shoved into tiny sorority shirts hanging around the frat guys...and usually pass themselves around at least once.
The most undesirable woman (The Riddle Chick) walks past a group of guys. Suddenly, all of the guys drop what they are doing, and run over to meet her.

First, she flirts with all of them. Then, she gets a few phone numbers. Later, she starts dating one. The next week, she dumps him and dates his friend. The next week, it's a new guy...and so on. She breaks hearts and moves on.

flight152

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:04 am

There were interns from Purdue, Kent State, and ERAU DAB and PRC. My sim partner is from the PRC campus as well. Long story short, we were the only ones that did not kill anybody in the sim sessions, nor did we ever crash.

Really, because the "Riddle" interns at expressjet last semester were not only the ones constantly goofing off on their jobs, abusing the pass travel privileges ansd doing crappy on the systems exam. They were D-bags. I can't tell how many times I spoke to captains who rolled their eyes everytime they had to fly with another Embry Riddle graduate. I don't want that stamp on my forehead.

Honestly, Embry riddle was on my list and looking back I am SO glad I didn't go. I'm glad I didn't go to a school where nearly never person does the same thing. Not only that Daytona beach is such a trashy place.

Mike89406

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 19):
Really, because the "Riddle" interns at expressjet last semester were not only the ones constantly goofing off on their jobs, abusing the pass travel privileges ansd doing crappy on the systems exam. They were D-bags. I can't tell how many times I spoke to captains who rolled their eyes everytime they had to fly with another Embry Riddle graduate. I don't want that stamp on my forehead.

I have to wonder if it's the now generation of college kids coming up in the world  duck  no offense to those of you that are outstanding citizens and not all young adults are that way. I'm not even saying that what you said isn't true. Unfortunately there are more kids that coddled, spoiled and having little or no respect for people compared to when I started the workforce.

Having said that I don't attend the DAB or PRC Campus so I'm not privy to these horror stories you mention about but perhaps it's some of the kids going through the DAB campus for that particular program and maybe not I assume your speaking of students studying to become pilots? What I can tell you is that since I attend the worldwide campus in Fallon, NV and most students are military from the enlisted ranks up to officers, and some civilians, we have one student that is a civilian pilot that fly's a Learjet for a rich lady between SFO and Nevada on business. The average age ranges from the 20's-30's.

We don't get the college experience as in partying and chasing college women because most are married and have homes and have lives outside of the college in fact many are established in their career fields. Most people that I go to school with are after the piece of paper or check in the box if you will.

Mike

Fly2HMO

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 20):
Unfortunately there are more kids that coddled, spoiled and having little or no respect for people compared to when I started the workforce.

You'll get people like that everywhere unfortunately.

Really, because the "Riddle" interns at expressjet last semester were not only the ones constantly goofing off on their jobs, abusing the pass travel privileges ansd doing crappy on the systems exam.

Was that this spring semester? If it was, I knew them, and yes they were Dbags. IIRC They were mostly, if not all, engineering students, and from DAB.

Riddle does have rotten apples, just like any other school.

AA 777

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:58 am

I'm currently a Junior at the Daytona Campus and there are many things I like about the school and there are many things I dislike about the campus. There are some great professors at the school, but like others have said they have a hard time teaching the material.

I'm an AeroSci ::cough pilot:: major and the flight department could use some work. From a safety standpoint its second to none. The planes are maintained better than anything I've personally ever seen. They always appear brand new and everything always works. Kudos to them for that!

One thing about the flight line that I dont think is good is the use of the G1000 for everything. Don't get me wrong, it is a awesome system that makes you aware of everything. However, most places still have round dials and kids that only learn on the G1000 will probably kill themselves flying IFR with a 6 pack. Common phrases I hear on campus include "Well I'll just file GPS direct" and "Just follow the purple line".......It makes me sick to hear this.

I entered school with my PPL-ASEL and that was probably the best decision I've made in a long time. The PPL course at Riddle is nothing short of insane and you will spend more money that you could ever imagine. I've personally seen 25K PPL. Its all about what you put into it. Some people take 2 years to get one rating and others get one rating per semester. The more you study and prepare the faster you will move through the course and the less money you will spend. If you are slow and spend $$$$$ the school wont stop you - they love your money.

Is the training good? Sure. Is it better than UND or Purdue etc? Not at all. In the end everyone has the same license and over time everyone will be a good pilot. Both UND and Riddle can put out a bad pilot. I've said it before and I'll say it again now...but I cant stand the people here that think their ERAU flight training makes them gods gift to aviation.

The flight department has some really good person - with FA being the absolute best. He truly cares about everything and it shows. There are some people that think they are running a major airline and they need a wake up call.

Another thing is the bad name that Riddle people seem to get and lately I've seen that. Certain kids think that their ERAU training makes them a pilot god and they are the best thing since sliced bread. Theres some that are convinced that they are going to graduate and find themselves in the right seat of a 737 at a major. Wake up and smell the coffee people...it doesnt work like that. I believe that some people start ERAU not knowing anything about the industry and believe everything BS story the school throws at them. I've heard numerous stories from people that graduated about getting crap for going to ERAU because of the bad name.

The best part of the whole "experience" would be the friends I have met. I have met people that will probably be my better friends for the rest of my life. That to me is worth more than everything else.....

At this point, Im just looking foward to finish. Not to mention getting out of Daytona. I'll save the whole social scene discussion for another post...its late!

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. I'll tell it like it is...
CRJ-700 FO

Fly2HMO

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 am

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 22):
I'll save the whole social scene discussion for another post...its late!

Social scene? What social scene?

However, most places still have round dials and kids that only learn on the G1000 will probably kill themselves flying IFR with a 6 pack. Common phrases I hear on campus include "Well I'll just file GPS direct" and "Just follow the purple line".......It makes me sick to hear this.

I agree, to an extent. I'm part of the last generation of pilots to learn the good 'ole way of flying: with a timer and a pencil. I fortunately did all my training on a six pack, except for commercial single and CFI, since we just updated the fleet. Transitioning from a six pack to glass is cake. Glass to six pack, not so much. As much as we hate it though, glass is here to stay, and its the way of the future.

Another thing is the bad name that Riddle people seem to get and lately I've seen that.

Not saying it's a lie, but I cant say I've noticed that personally. Every time I say I'm from Riddle I've been received with great enthusiasm.

Theres some that are convinced that they are going to graduate and find themselves in the right seat of a 737 at a major.

Aah yes, shiny jet syndrome. A lot of the incoming freshmen have it. Boy, they're in for a disappointment.  Yeah sure

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Many people complain that they take the fun out of flying.

That's true... Checkrides here at Riddle are a pain in the arse, they make you stressed and some checkride pilots think they're the John Travolta of the skies...

he was more interested in partying than studying procedures and what not (what a surprise, a frat kid )

Frat kids... Dude, stay out of these things!

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 18):
When I first came in, the official ratio was 7 penisae to one vagina. Now its (supposedly) down to 6 to 1. And yes you see a wee bit more vaginae.

I personally don't give a crap about the ratio... 6 penisae to 1 vaginae... not true! Consider the large amount of Sasquach girls around here... I wouldn't even dare to think they have a vagina down there...!

Quote:
Riddle Chick

You made my day! LOL

Really, because the "Riddle" interns at expressjet last semester were not only the ones constantly goofing off on their jobs, abusing the pass travel privileges ansd doing crappy on the systems exam. They were D-bags

The big issue with people coming out of Riddle is the huge ego they develop throughout their career. I've seen ERAU grads thinking they are icing of the cake, when in reality, they're just a bunch of shitbags. I've seen pilots here who don't even care about doing a good preflight, and then complain because they had to come back because of weather... this is just a small portion of the stuff you get to see here.

I think that good pilots here at Riddle are the ones who take 100% advantage of the awesome learning experience and the infinite facilities and mediums to learn how to be a professional pilot. That's what this training is all about.

One thing about the flight line that I dont think is good is the use of the G1000 for everything.

I don't agree. I just came back from the NBAA conference and there wasn't a single plane with the old six-pack. By the time we get out of here to work in the industry, glass, glass... and more glass.

I think getting used to this perspective is way much better. Now you have from Garmin G1000s to the Pro-Line avionics... not to mention the Honeywell and the Rockwell stuff... Once you get used to the technology, then the transitions will be easier. That's the way it's going to be from now on.

Cheers

slider

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:09 pm

In the real world, no one would look twice at a Riddle Chick, but at Embry Riddle, she may even become homecoming queen.

LOL! Too true!

...but I cant stand the people here that think their ERAU flight training makes them gods gift to aviation.

I concur with that. The lack of humility and cocky attitude makes me sick. I know buddies who intentionally don’t admit to being from ERAU because of the backlash in some circles and that’s a shame. But beyond individuals thinking this, the university itself has a holier-than-thou attitude—it’s institutional.

Quoting 797 (Reply 24):
Frat kids... Dude, stay out of these things!

Don’t generalize. Many of us have had tremendous experiences in fraternities and the bonds you have are indeed much deeper than just partying, etc. If I had to explain, you wouldn’t understand. But for some of us, it was a family, a great bonding experience and the bridge to lifelong friends, opportunities, and a gateway to leadership among other things. Again, like ERAU itself, there are rotten apples, no question.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 25):
Don’t generalize. Many of us have had tremendous experiences in fraternities and the bonds you have are indeed much deeper than just partying, etc.

Absolutely. I generalized big time here. I just was making reference to the comment that they posted above toward the bias that exists agains those party-all-day-long fraternities that just seem to be a bunch of idiots drinking beer upside down.

I have many friends in serious frats. As a matter of fact, in Riddle I would have joined AOA (pilot's frat) if I could have... but since my major is Business, then it's not possible.

Mir

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 25):
But beyond individuals thinking this, the university itself has a holier-than-thou attitude—it’s institutional.

Absolutely.

Quoting 797 (Reply 24):
Now you have from Garmin G1000s to the Pro-Line avionics... not to mention the Honeywell and the Rockwell stuff... Once you get used to the technology, then the transitions will be easier.

Learning a G1000 will not help you learn an airliner's glass cockpit. You'd be better off grabbing a $50 addon for Flight Simulator. What G1000 will do, however, is rob you of your situational awareness once you don't have it. Doing my instrument on round-dials taught me to keep a mental track of things in a way that doing it on a G1000 never would have.

-Mir

AA 777

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 24):
I don't agree. I just came back from the NBAA conference and there wasn't a single plane with the old six-pack. By the time we get out of here to work in the industry, glass, glass... and more glass.

I think getting used to this perspective is way much better. Now you have from Garmin G1000s to the Pro-Line avionics... not to mention the Honeywell and the Rockwell stuff... Once you get used to the technology, then the transitions will be easier. That's the way it's going to be from now on.

I'm not trying to start a war here, but all of that is fine and dandy if you plan on flying a brand new jet once you graduate. Of course everything at NBAA had glass in it - it is the wave of the future, but there are still tons of planes flying the skies without 9" TV screens.....

Plenty of people leave here to go and fly cargo at night and those planes do not have Glass or anything close. For VFR flying it doesnt matter at all, however the first time you fly hard IFR without glass (and you only flew glass before) it can be a scary thing - trust me. Im not saying it cant be done, but the G1000 makes it so easy that sometimes you dont even have to think.

I just think there should be some training with a 6 pack so kids have an idea theres more out there than brand new cessnas. I got everything but my PPL in a G1000 and I feel that I probably would have been better getting it in the 6 pack....

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):
Social scene? What social scene?

Haha pretty much.....The social scene around here pretty much consists of going to frat parties or not going to them. In my case I want nothing to do with them so it can get boring fast. Before riddle I hardly ever went to the movies and since I've gotten here I feel I can start reviewing them for the New York Times Ive seen so many.
CRJ-700 FO

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
Learning a G1000 will not help you learn an airliner's glass cockpit. You'd be better off grabbing a $50 addon for Flight Simulator.

This whole thing depends. I think that Riddle is doing a good job by putting us in these new glass cockpits. When I talked to the Cessna and Gulfstream jet pilots, they said that once you get used to the digital environment (glass) then the TRANSITION to other systems such as the Pro Line will be easier.

Flying the old six pack is indeed important, but from Riddle's perspective, they're better off putting us in the G1000s.

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 28):
The social scene around here pretty much consists of going to frat parties or not going to them.

Social scene!? Damn... Family Guy, TBS, Beer... pretty much it!

panam330

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 28):
Before riddle I hardly ever went to the movies and since I've gotten here I feel I can start reviewing them for the New York Times Ive seen so many.

Join the club. I can't stand being here. I go back to New York as often as my budget allows, which unfortunately isn't frequent enough.

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks guys. I visited the University this weekend. I was fairly impressed. Though, keeping my options open. Thanks to all who replied!  Smile

DeltaRules

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Here's another Worldwide perspective.

The first school I visited was ERAU Daytona. Riddle's campus is definitely impressive. Through the tour there & three or four visits to A.netter AdamWright, I got a feel for what campus life was like, both good and bad (case in point, RiddleVision). The only bad thing I got from my tour of Riddle was an ERAU-appointed distaste for Part 61 flight training, something I wish I could get rid of yet haven't been able to shake. I was headed there until Spring 2005 (planned to start college Fall 06), when we discovered Sinclair CC's program, which was cheaper, closer to home & allowed me to start college early. While at Sinclair, I found out about ERAU Dayton.

I'm currently at the Dayton, OH campus. I enrolled there in April 07 & got my acceptance letter & info packet (ERNIE signup, policies, free T-shirt coupon, etc) the first week of May (07). I had some stuff to finish in the aviation program at Sinclair, where I eventually (June 08) graduated with an Associate's in Aviation Technology, before starting with Riddle.

I took my first classes Winter 08 term & even though I had the Marketing class from hell, I quickly grew to enjoy it here. The classes average probably 12-13 people, although said Marketing class had I think 22. I've had a couple of great professors so far, both of which I'm going to try & take as many classes with as I can.

The beauty of Worldwide is the term length. 9 weeks. Which means you can theoretically get more done while having fewer classes. And if you have my Marketing class, which was equivalent to watching paint dry, you only have 8 weeks left after the first night. The class schedule times are easy to remember...all classes are blocked for one night a week, 5:30-10:30pm. They give five hours, though I'm yet to have a class that goes more than 3 1/2-4 at the most, and those classes seem to be on the long end of the spectrum.

I really like the Worldwide campus. You get to know literally everyone there & it's neat to know what everybody's doing & to know who you have a good chance of having classes with, as I haven't run into any D-bags there...yet. If there's a Worldwide campus in your area, JetBlueAUS, I would look into it. You won't get the full Riddle experience, but you might save some money & be in arguably a better, more casual atmosphere.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST