ohthedrama747
Topic Author

New Dog

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:48 am

Hi there,

We're hopefully going to get a new puppy soon. I'm just wondering if any of you have any advice/websites that I can have a look at. I really want to make sure my puppy is raised properly.

I realise all the time that a pup needs. There are no children in our house now so we could all take care of it. I have found some stuff through Google but just wondering if you have any outstanding sites?

G

MYT332

RE: New Dog

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:00 am

I always find its best to have two puppies vs one. Just a thought.

I love to play with puppies though, they're so soft and squishy and great fun to play with.
One Life, Live it.

cumulus

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 am

What flavour Puppy is it?
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

ohthedrama747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 am

Dalmatian.

I haven't bought one yet, I want to make sure I'm prepared.

G

ThePRGuy

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 am

I prefer cats to be quite honest.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

Beaucaire

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Please consider to visit an animal shelter and why not take a small,abandoned dog rather than support breeders?
Bred dogs usually are subject to more cases of genetic troubles than non-bred ones.The intelligence and robustness of half-bred dogs is well knonw. We ourselves have recovered a dog without proper race-but who really cares !
Our female dog Diane (9 years now,8 years with us ) has persistantly been absolutely adorable,intelligent,understanding our slightest changes of mood,temper,problems..
She is very attached to us since we recovered her from a madman who decided to get rid of her (kill her..)- she feels very intensely our attachment we have for her and shows her dedicated love to us very directly.
The weirder the origins-the more intelligent the dogs become..it's true !
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

concord977

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
I always find its best to have two puppies vs one.

I agree 100%. Dogs are happier and live longer if they have companions that are with them when you can't be home.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 5):
Please consider to visit an animal shelter and why not take a small,abandoned dog rather than support breeders?

Excellent advice. It will be a bit more difficult to find the spefiic breed you're looking for, but you'll be saving a great dog from certain death by rescuing it from a shelter.

We have plenty of room, so we're now up to 5 dogs in our household. Here are a few of them:

No info

ANITIX87

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 pm

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 6):

I agree 100%. Dogs are happier and live longer if they have companions that are with them when you can't be home.

Cats are the same way, but there is one disadvantage.

If one of them dies, it's very evident how hard it is on the other. One of our cats died 3 years ago and since then, the other one doesn't move around as much, meows ALL the time for attention, stands in front of his brother's old bed and meows, and "loses his temper" a lot more often if something bothers him. It's heartbreaking sometimes.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

kiwiandrew

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 4):
I prefer cats to be quite honest.

I would prefer cats to be honest too , but it is never going to happen because they are lying little sods .... I would stick to dogs if it is honesty you are after Big grin

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
I always find its best to have two puppies vs one. Just a thought.

the only problem I have heard with getting two puppies at the same time ( apart from doubling the joys of toilet training of course ) is that they tend to bond with each other and not with you

ThePRGuy

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 8):
I would prefer cats to be honest too , but it is never going to happen because they are lying little sods .... I would stick to dogs if it is honesty you are after Big grin

Generally I find my cats don't have the intellect to sit there and lie to me.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

MYT332

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 8):
the only problem I have heard with getting two puppies at the same time ( apart from doubling the joys of toilet training of course ) is that they tend to bond with each other and not with you

You'd have to get your hands in there and split them up then! Not the worse job in the world.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

Type-Rated

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:45 am

Plus with a cat you can just throw some food on the floor and leave for the weekend without having to worry about them! The ultimate pet for the irresponsible person! Just be aware that the strange cat people are out there. They say things like "One day cats will rule the universe", or "I put my cat out at night so it can spread it's magical powers over the neighborhood".

Here are some tips for you:

By all means DO visit a pet shelter to pick out your dog. Shelters usually have LOTS of puppies on hand. The nice thing about a shelter is that they usually offer a 30 day health warranty and your dog will be up to date on its vaccinations. Shelters also have lists you can sign up for if you are looking for a particular type of dog. If the dog you are looking for comes in, they'll call you.

If you get a puppy, you'll want to housebreak it. Use the crate training method, it's fast and easy.
When your pup reaches about 6 months old, you can start obedience training. A dog that is properly obedience trained is a joy to have around, and you can take it more places than a dog that is more on the untrained wild side.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 10):
You'd have to get your hands in there and split them up then! Not the worse job in the world.

You must remember not to devote all of your attention on one though; you need to split it equally between the two or you'll end up with one feeling very left out and dejected, which is never a good thing.

Personally I like a dog to have fur, I know someone who has the type which is completely bald and it just doesn't feel like you've got a dog - more a sweaty and smelly hot water bottle with bones in it. Labs are my favourite, crossed with Colly/Springer and you've got an adorable animal which is never short of energy.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Type-Rated

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 12):
Labs are my favourite, crossed with Colly/Springer and you've got an adorable animal which is never short of energy.

No wonder, they have been the most popular dog in the U.S. for 17 years running. They have even temperment, are loyal, easy to train and almost always friendly. I currently have two of them. Some of the easiest dogs to handle.

allstarflyer

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting OhTheDrama747 (Thread starter):
I really want to make sure my puppy is raised properly.

If there's a local Humane Society nearby, I'd recommend getting some of their materials . . . you might even find a dog you like there, Dalmatian or not.
Living the American Dream

Type-Rated

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:11 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 5):
Bred dogs usually are subject to more cases of genetic troubles than non-bred ones

I can vouch for your statement about breeders. I was once a member of the Dalmatian Club of America. It's a group that you have to be asked to join based on your knowledge of the breed. After three years I quit. Why? I have never met such a group of money hungry, nasty people in my life. MOST of them are in it for the money. Even the members of the groups board of directors have questionable breeding ethics. I am sure that there are responsible breeders out there, but most of the popular breeds have been so inbred that there are major health issues with these dogs that didn't exist 20 years ago. It's like this:

Hey man, you got a Dobie, I got a Dobie, let's get them together and MAKE SOME MONEY!

People don't realize that if you are a breeder and do everything right, you'll break even on a litter, not make a lot of money.

Strangely enought at the shelter where I work, we hardly ever see any Dalmatians any more. After the 101 Dalmatians movie disaster (which cause so much inbreeding and overabundance of the poor dogs) shelters were loaded up with that breed for a solid 10 years. I've had Dalmatians over the years and they are a LOT of work. They take a special kind of person to own one.