Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSA727

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 5

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 299):
Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 260):
The posts from the McCain/Palin supporters on this forum make it fairly apparent that they've now gone completely off the deep end.

No doubt. It's gone from irrational to outright lunacy.

You mean like this one that's been going on for 2 months?

Quoting BN747 (Reply 295):
The fact that the Wasilla Mat-Su General Hospital which does make public live births .. does not do list the Gov downloading a kid. IF the Gov' ran around telling everyone at 6 months..that she's pregnant, why would she have a problem with the hospital announcing it???

Answer: She wouldn't... it would go hand-n-hand with her "Hey, guess what> Surprise! I'm pregnant" story.

Now, if a minor has a kid, like her daughter, Bristol, then as in criminal offenses..the name of a minor can most likely be with held as it was in this case.

Superfly

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 262):
He was a mediocre and overcautious officer, I thought, and let himself be completely rolled by the State department bureaucracy.

See Reply 265

These are your exact words from a few years ago.
Be glad that the search feature isn't working too well because you have made praise about Colin Powell in the past. Even after he stepped down and gone in to retirement.
Besides his endorsement of Obama, please tell us what he was done to change your mind about him.

posted Wed Aug 29 2001 18:54:23 your local timeWed Aug 29 2001 18:54:23 UTC (7 years 1 month 3 weeks 2 days 19 hours ago) and read 168 times:
Powell has what you call "Command Presence", a solid background of public service, and is pretty smart, as well as being a "minority", which gives him (and the country) additional firepower. Not a bad choice. You should be happy about him.

posted Fri Mar 2 2001 18:30:06 your local timeFri Mar 2 2001 18:30:06 UTC (7 years 7 months 3 weeks 2 days 19 hours ago) and read 188 times:
Colin Powell - Interesting idea. He certainly won't be too old, and his coming years as SecState will give him some good political experience outside the military arena (I don't know how much baggage he has on domestic policy). His leadership abilities are well proven.

StuckInCA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 300):
You mean like this one that's been going on for 2 months?

No, I mean the idea that Obama winning would be an enormous disaster for the country. Posts by most of the Republican Regulars in here have degenerated over the past week or so. I'm talking about things like this:

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 273):
Freedom haters, capitalism haters, and religious haters

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 270):
the Obamanator

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 259):
Obama/Biden is euthenasia for the country

I don't think Palin's baby is really a worthy topic, but I do think that either a) her birth story is representative of someone with HORRIBLE judgment or it's b) a lie.

RJdxer

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 302):
I'm talking about things like this:

Well that would be one persons opinion. Do you have any others you like to share?

Dreadnought

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 301):
These are your exact words from a few years ago.

I think you'll agree that I was hardly gushing in my praise. Command Presence? Certainly. Obama has it too. Doesn't mean anything more than he looks good and sounds good. George Clooney has it too.

"Pretty Smart"? That makes you better than 50% of the population. Which is a low margin indeed.

As far as his military achievements - there aren't really any I can think of. He advocated the Overwhelming Force doctrine. Shit, anyone can win with overwhelming force. The great generals of history, Patton, Rommel, Guderian, Lee, Jackson, Napoleon, Alexander, among others, were great because they could win even if vastly outnumbered. Winning with all the advantages is hardly a great accomplishment, apart from the taxpayer's point of view.

Aaron747

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 295):
Sorry pal, but they are the experts on this sort of thing...not us.

That's where you're wrong. All of those women you spoke to are mothers? My wife had our first two years ago and I went to every appointment, studied everything available on pregnancy and delivery, asked a lot of questions of doctos, and stayed with her through the entire thing - I'm just as much an expert as she is, if not more, because she doesn't even remember the last few days very well. Don't make the blanket assumption men don't or can't know about this kind of thing.

StuckInCA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 304):

I'm sure you'd have all the same stuff to say had Powell endorsed McCain, right?  Yeah sure

WunalaYann

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 249):
Actually, I would go even further; he's a figure that carries clout on both sides of the aisle. I cannot think of any other person whose endorsement carries more weight.

Robert Gates' maybe? And I mean this in all seriousness.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 292):
My wife can't vote (she's still an Aussie)

Mate, isn't your better half entitled to dual citizenship after spending sufficient time in the US? I know for a fact that the US recognises dual citizenship.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 274):
Kevin Rudd of Australia?

Ah please leave us out of this!  Wink K-Rudd and J-Ho are celebrities, national icons and therefore not subject to the questioning of their political beliefs. Just ask Matt Damon.

biggrin 

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 281):
And why should I consider her family situation in selecting which candidate to vote for?

If I may. The image of Palin that the media I read seem to carry is one of the über-(insert recreational activity of choice) mum whose family values are held proudly. Is it safe to assume that she was selected in order, but not exclusively, to appeal to a more socially conservative segment of Republican electorate for whom such values are paramount?

If yes, I think it is therefore legitimate to take a close look at how she lives by the values she professes.

Smile

Superfly

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:33 pm

I think you'll agree that I was hardly gushing in my praise.

"His leadership abilities are well proven."

That is far from "mediocre" as you put it earlier.
Admit it, you hate anyone that endorses Obama. It aggravates the hell out of you that someone you respect is not endorsing McCain.

Superfly

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Aaron747

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 pm

I think you'll agree that I was hardly gushing in my praise. Command Presence? Certainly. Obama has it too. Doesn't mean anything more than he looks good and sounds good. George Clooney has it too.

Fair enough, but you also said this:

If it asked "who do you trust more", and trying to think as an American:

5. Powell

StuckInCA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 309):
To those screaming about ACORN

Also today, the Republicans called a press conference to discuss "recent developments in New Mexico regarding ACORN."

Presumably they were going to carry on about how...

"the New Mexico GOP had publicly claimed that 28 people voted fraudulently in the Democratic primary, held in June, for a local race."

But...

at 11am, ACORN -- the community organizing group that Republicans have been trying lately to turn into a voter fraud boogeyman -- held a conference call of its own, asserting that local election officials had confirmed that the 28 people in question, mostly low-income Latinos, were valid voters.

Instead of addressing this issue, the Republicans just ignored questions on this topic and issued more general attacks on ACORN.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem.../rnc_on_new_mexico_voter_fraud.php

Superfly

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 311):
local election officials had confirmed that the 28 people in question, mostly low-income Latinos, were valid voters.

That is enough to scare any Republican candidate in a swing state.

RJdxer

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 306):
I'm sure you'd have all the same stuff to say had Powell endorsed McCain, right?

I still would have said he was a fair weather fan. His endorsement, coming so late in the campaign when it is almost decided surely lacks the weight it would have carried had he made it a month ago or right after the conventions. One thing is for certain, he has shown that he is not going to go out on a limb for anybody ever again.

StuckInCA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 pm

More evidence that this Republican frenzy over "voter fraud" is about as sincere as the outrage over Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comment or McCain's pledge to run a clean campaign:

John McCain's campaign has directed $175,000 to the firm of a Republican operative accused of massive voter registration fraud in several states.

"The difference between ACORN and Sproul is that ACORN doesn't throw away or change registration documents after they have been filled out."

During the 2004 election, Sproul & Associates (the former name of Lincoln Strategy) was accused of attempting to destroy forms collected by Democratic voters in Nevada. That same year in Oregon, Sproul & Associates allegedly instructed canvassers to only accept Republican registration forms in addition to destroying those turned in by Democrats.

StuckInCA

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 am

RJdxer

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 315):
forgot the link in my last post

You would have had more credibility if you left it out. Anything by huffington is biased from the start.

StuckInCA

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 316):
Anything by huffington is biased from the start.

Oh I agree for sure. That doesn't mean that there might not be facts in there.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 316):
You would have had more credibility if you left it out.

I'm not sure why quoting a story from a biased source damages my credibility. I doubt you think I have any credibility anyway.

As I've said before, I look at lots of media. You might say "a vast array." Or "all of them."

RJdxer

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:31 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 317):
I'm not sure why quoting a story from a biased source damages my credibility.

Until I saw it was from huffington I might have believed it. Afterwards, no way. If there are any unaltered facts in there it is completely by accident and not by design.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 298):
What a huge load of BS  

Quoting A332 (Reply 299):
Wow... talk about reducing the little credibility you had down to zero. It's hard to imagine that the vast majority of the world's population are what you have labelled them.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 302):
I don't think Palin's baby is really a worthy topic, but I do think that either a) her birth story is representative of someone with HORRIBLE judgment or it's b) a lie.

I was not saying everyone that loves BO is either "Freedom haters, capitalism haters, or religious haters". No matter how often I clarify this I still get accused of not painting the situation fairly. Interesting.

There appears to be a purposefully placed mental block in the way. When someone, particularly a republican, assembles a grouping of high-level Obama supporters, like I did previously....the reaction is the same as if I had said 9-11 was an inside job, even though the pairing of the people was absolutely fair and valid.

Get yours today! http://www.damiansdomains.com/Hypnotism/index2.html

NAV20

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:44 am

Not getting at you, MD80fanatic, but you'll recall that we had a polite discussion on polls a week ago?

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 162):
Gallup has Obama with only a 2 point lead amongst likely voters!!!!!!!

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 174):
Just as a matter of interest, MD80fanatic, that is Gallup's original 'tracking poll' - a poll where they select a group of voters early in the campaign, and ask all of them about their voting intentions every few days right through to the election.

At that time Gallup's 'traditional' poll was indeed showing Obama's lead at 2%. Their 'expanded' poll was showing the lead at 6%.

The latest figures (October 20th.) now show Obama's lead as 5% ('traditional') and 9% ('expanded').

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/latestpolls/index.html

Bearing in mind that these are tracking polls - asking the same voters the same questions every few days - that appears to be a huge shift, 3% among both 'veteran' and 'recently-registered' voters in just seven days?

Not taking sides - I don't feel strongly either way between Republicans/Democrats, as in Australia there's precious little difference between the two main parties. But, knowing a bit about US politics, I'm frankly astonished to see a 'swing' of those proportions this late in a campaign.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 321):
But, knowing a bit about US politics, I'm frankly astonished to see a 'swing' of those proportions this late in a campaign.

Completely agree. For me though, astonished and disheartened, would be a more accurate descriptive.

Mir

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 278):
If A,B,and C are a part of D, does that mean E cannot also be a part of D?

You are attempting to make the point that E is analogous to A, B, and C. Which is entirely wrong. And, in this case, shameful, since there is no comparison at all between Colin Powell and Fidel Castro.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 286):
Is the good doctor now saying a baby cannot be born aboard an airliner?

A baby certainly should not be born on an airplane if you can avoid it. That's what hospitals are for.

-Mir

moderators
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am

This thread has received many replies, it will be archived and we ask that you continue the discussion at U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 6 thank you.