Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 5

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Users have requested that we bring some organization to the large number of posts being made about the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election in the non-aviation forum. For this reason, we’re creating ‘official’ threads to provide some structure to the overall subject, and make it easier for readers to contribute and follow the various discussions.

Six threads are being created, including this one. If you want to add a post, please make sure you’re adding it to the most appropriate of the choices shown below:

Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Campaign (this thread)
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Campaign
Official U.S. Election – McCain/Palin Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Obama/Biden Plans & Policies
Official U.S. Election – Polls & Projections
Official U.S. Election – Humor, Commentary, Etc.

Examples of content appropriate for this thread:

McCain/Palin (and GOP) campaign speeches, interviews, clips, gaffes, sound bites, advertising, press releases, etc.

NAV20

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 5

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:31 pm

Huh - just this minute posted on the axed Thread 4:-

Quoting Baroque (Reply 313):
so far, Palin seems more like satire than anything real.

Couldn't agree more - personally I don't think she has any chance of making it to the White House in any capacity, whether now or in four years time. The US public has a great deal more political savvy than that.

But it doesn't matter what WE think - what counts at the moment is what SHE thinks. And it's beginning to look as if she's prepared to sacrifice not only John McCain, but also the immediate political future of the Republican Party, in her personal cause.

There's another angle to this that doesn't appear to have received any comment yet. Obama (wisely, IMO) decided not to choose Hillary Clinton as a running mate, at least partly because a lot of people would have feared (probably rightly) that they'd basically be re-electing Bill Clinton as a sort of 'third wheel' on the Presidency.

But look at what could happen now, if McCain/Palin are elected:-

"Barely two weeks after Sarah Palin had been sworn in as Alaska's governor, in December 2006, then-Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's executive secretary got a confusing phone call from Palin's office: The first gentleman would like to schedule a meeting with her boss.

"I was not familiar with the term 'first gentleman,' or didn't hear her correctly, so I kept asking her, 'Who?' " the secretary, Cassandra Byrne, testified recently." And she eventually said, 'Todd Palin.' "

"The appointment was fixed, and Monegan arrived in the governor's office to find himself alone with the brawny, popular fisherman and snowmobile champion, who was sitting at a 12-foot-long conference table, surrounded by stacks of documents. One of the documents had the logo and letterhead of Monegan's own Department of Public Safety.

"The subject, it turned out, was Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a messy divorce with the governor's sister. The Palins, Todd made clear, wanted Wooten fired for a long record of behavior they saw as inappropriate for a police officer.

"He kept using the term 'we.' 'We went to go talk to, we, we.' And so I assumed it was he and Sarah, of course," Monegan testified.

"The meeting "made me a little uncomfortable," he said. "We're having it in the governor's office, and he's not the governor. I think he was trying to use state trappings to handle a personal issue."

Just suppose that McCain gets elected and then doesn't make it through his term. Todd Palin will become 'First Gentleman' of the United States.......and, on past form, start using the Oval Office for meetings........

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...a-todd12-2008oct12,0,6624850.story

[Edited 2008-10-12 05:43:00]

mt99

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:33 pm

I said on last thread:

No one has been able to answer me: "Why is this so important RIGHT now, and wasn't important 3 or 4 months ago?" I mean it McCain campaign feels its so detrimental and of such utmost importance, why in God's name they did not raise the issue then?

For whatever is worth, they are playing their Ace. They are spoon feeding the population what the campaign wants them to hear WHEN they want it heard. Its blatant manipulation. Its insulting that this CRITICAL link is only discussed now.

Do they think Americans are that stupid?

Its going to blow up in their faces.

RJdxer said on last thread:

"Prior to the convention, no one really knew who the democratic party nominee was going to be. It was certainly raised during the primaries by none other than Biden and Clinton."

So when was the convention? Aug 25 -28. Tha'ts almost 2 months and we don't hear about this important concern to national security until McCain is down in the polls.

Even the fact that Biden and Clinton brought it up, proves the point that this "critical" piece of information was known by McCain campaign before, but they chose to keep it quiet until the time benefited them. They choose to keep quiet terrorist links. Is that acceptable? Does that make them accomplices? Do they think Americans need to be spoon fed information?

luv2fly

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Myself I think what we are seeing is the desperate acts of a desperate duo. Palin is starting to be very pro life in her talks in hopes of targeting that market. The troopergate report came out and told us what we believed all along, she abused her power of office to further a personal agenda against someone. Granted her husband, "the first dude" was the fall guy it was her job as Governor to not allow this to happen under her watch. By allowing it shows she supported it.

L-188

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
The troopergate report came out and told us what we believed all along, she abused her power of office to further a personal agenda against someone

It said she had the right to fire him.

As far as that first conclusion, that was Hollis French talking for the Obama campaign, not what the law says.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:00 pm

It is interesting the loud noise of boos at the Phildelphia Flyers National Hockey League home opener where Gov. Palin did a ceremonial puck drop. The owner of the team is a major Republican supporter and wanted to play off the 'hockey mom' image of Gov. Palin to support McCain and her. Problem is such an appearance was a serious mistake, especially after the release of the 'Troopergate' investigation report on the night before.

Phildelphia has a nasty sports fan culture attitude. From so many rowdy fans at NFL football games (mainly serveral years ago) they had a branch of the city criminal court at the old stadium for use during games and allegedly fans 'booed' an appearance of Santa Clause may years ago. Maybe some of the attendees who booed were loyal Democrats, but I suspect that many fans did so as just don't want politicans using their sports events for political appearances and some others who just despise all politicans.

As to Gov. Palin's future, as we say in New Jersey, forggettabotit. I bet she will lose in her next election for Governor due to her unethical beheaviors. If she continues to use character attacks on Obama, she will be seen as a racist, turning off more independents and even moderate Republians and due to the scandals and questionable quality of her to be a VP, shows some serious issues will in all hurt her future.

luv2fly

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 4):
It said she had the right to fire him.

As far as that first conclusion, that was Hollis French talking for the Obama campaign, not what the law says.

That is not the problem here, yes she has the right. Why was her husband calling meetings to discus this matter and using her official office to conduct it in?

So explain how the Obama campaign is holding this inquiry in the state of Alaska? Little tin foil hat action going on there. Also there were more Republicans on the committee then Democrats! So that would mean more of Palin's cronies and less of Obama's, NEXT!

Beaucaire

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm

"....However, at a subsequent rally, a woman told McCain: "I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."....
It's time this spectacle stops and both candidates re-focus on actually doing active,constructive politics ...This campaign has been lasting already much too long- some people get really so intoxicated with media-trash,that they forget about their own decent judgment.

L-188

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 7):
"....However, at a subsequent rally, a woman told McCain: "I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."....
It's time this spectacle stops and both candidates re-focus on actually doing active,constructive politics ...This campaign has been lasting already much too long- some people get really so intoxicated with media-trash,that they forget about their own decent judgment.

No he isn't an arab, but he is apparently a Kenyan national, and hasn't yet proven he was even born in the US, which raises the question on how he can even run for the presidency since he wasn't born in the USA or any US miltary installation.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
I bet she will lose in her next election for Governor due to her unethical beheaviors.

Doubt it. Half the crap that you in the lower 48 are pissing about now is stuff we knew about ten years ago. That and she is still pulling about a 60% approval rating. Down from the 80%'s but stil up there.

It is interesting the loud noise of boos at the Phildelphia Flyers National Hockey League home opener where Gov. Palin did a ceremonial puck drop.

I don't think it helped that the Flyers where playing and got owned by the Rangers who Scotty Gomez plays for.

He is an Alaskan too and yes there was a photo op before the game.

hkg82

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
No he isn't an arab, but he is apparently a Kenyan national, and hasn't yet proven he was even born in the US, which raises the question on how he can even run for the presidency since he wasn't born in the USA or any US miltary installation.

I thought Obama was born in Hawaii.

I've not heard of any issues regarding his place of birth nor his nationality.

Do you have any links please?

Hkg82.

seb146

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:38 pm

I think it is interesting the spouse of a Republican does something and we, as a nation, should just forget it ever happened. Yet, when ANY Democrat does ANYTHING within the privacy of their own residence or on their own time, or long, long before they even decided for a career in politics, that is reason enough to not get them elected. It's like they want us to belive Republicans are all saints.

From what I have heard, Palin abused her powers with regards to the trooper and is for big oil and big corporations. She is not much for Main Street America. Most of the media attention is on her and not McCain. Who is really running for president on that ticket?

mbmbos

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):

Yet another smear.

http://truthfightsback.com/site/smea.../?gclid=COTHwMyPopYCFQ60HgodMSLx5w

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/po...s_barack_obama_a_us_citizen_y.html

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/citizen.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama_citizen.htm

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...obama_have_kenyan_citizenship.html

scrubbsywg

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):

do you seriously still believe this?

here is an even better site, showing pictures of the original which shows enough info for him to get a passport. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

Will you say this is some left wing conspiracy that it is all forged? I have been hearing for months that republicans have this secret info and are just waiting to release it, so when will that be?

Just think about one thing when you think of this theory. what on earth would the democrats be doing if obama wasnt able to legally be president? Seriously, he would do more damage to their future than any scandal. You would imagine that even if obama was trying to 'pull a fast one' that someone would find irrefutable evidence at some point in the last couple years, yet all that can be found are real documents. It is stupid to think he hasnt proven anything.

Zentraedi

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):

lol, you don't believe Hawaii is part of the US? Well, no more so than Alaska I guess.

Even if, as you believe, Hawaii isn't part of the US, individuals born abroad to American parents are Americans.

Jeez, when you see these citizenship doubters(on either side) crop up, you know who the real nutters are.

L-188

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting Hkg82 (Reply 10):
thought Obama was born in Hawaii.

That's what he claims but he has never been able to prove that.

There has been at least 1 lawsuit filed to get him kicked off the ballot.

hkg82

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm

L-188, you are seriously mistaken and uninformed regarding Obama in this context. Given your post history regarding US elections & politics I don't think I'm surprised you still maintain these silly views.

I think you'll find that the only other people who agree with your bizzare views on Obama are Dreadnought & JCS17.

Anyway, moving on, what does everyone think McCain needs to do in the last debate to convince the voting public that he'd be a capable President?

Hkg82.

voodoo

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:14 pm

Best portrait of the McCain campaign so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz65AOjabtM

L-188

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting Hkg82 (Reply 15):
L-188, you are seriously mistaken and uninformed regarding Obama in this context

No I am not the only one who sees him for what he is, a devout maxist, who will steal my guns.

Beaucaire

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Well if he steals the guns of everybody you won't need them any longer anyhow..
And it's called "Marxist" ( although I doubt he has anything to do with that terminology at all..)
 crazy   crazy 

Superfly

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: Comments from the previous thread.
I certainly don't have time to dig up stories from the past to get in to a pissing match about the evils of the far right. Although I'd be more than happy to do such.
I just find it ironic that the McCain nor his supporters here can give any creditable reasons as to why we should vote for him.
We already know the results of the failed Bush/Cheney leadership that McCain voted with over 90% of the time. McCain still hasn't explained to voters if he is any different than Bush.

Mir

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm

As to Gov. Palin's future, as we say in New Jersey, forggettabotit. I bet she will lose in her next election for Governor due to her unethical beheaviors.

I can't say I really care about her next election for Governor. If the people of Alaska want her back, then she'll be back. If not, she won't. I don't give a crap. Just as long as her influence is kept to Alaskan policy, not national policy.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
he is apparently a Kenyan national, and hasn't yet proven he was even born in the US, which raises the question on how he can even run for the presidency since he wasn't born in the USA or any US miltary installation.

Seriously? You actually believe this crap?  Yeah sure

You don't think that someone would have checked that out in detail long before he announced his candidacy?

-Mir

Aaron747

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:27 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
That's what he claims but he has never been able to prove that.

There has been at least 1 lawsuit filed to get him kicked off the ballot.

I've called out Obama supporters for their blind faith and relentless attack on Palin, and now I'll call you out for what can only be called smarmy demagoguery. You people are something else...what happened to having a bit of class? And we wonder why the country looks so different nowadays, sheesh...

mdsh00

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html
The Fact Check.org sent a team to request and obtain a copy and report on it, while holding it in their hands.

Click the pics for a larger picture...
http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_3.jpg
What a communist left-wing gun stealer conspiracy!!!  Yeah sure

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_9.jpg
Obviously another communist left-wing inside job.  Yeah sure

Today while coming back home on the Subway, I saw some graffiti at a stop which said, "Obama is a terrorist 911," "Obama is a communist" all over the walls. If this is what is happening in NYC, imagine other places with a greater number of McCain supporters. The way they have been acting lately, it now seems very possible it could lead to violence sometime between now and the election.

RJdxer

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:08 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 2):
So when was the convention? Aug 25 -28. Tha'ts almost 2 months and we don't hear about this important concern to national security until McCain is down in the polls.

That's incorrect. From the convention on Gov. Palin has been raising the issues. As with Biden and Clinton the press has responded by burying the issues or repeating the shifting stories of Sen. Obama's campaign.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
Also there were more Republicans on the committee then Democrats!

But there was only one investigator and it is his report that they are reading. Also, when are you going to get around to reading the findings, especially the recommendations on how the laws should be changed to allow a person filing a complaint against a police officer greater access to the process. He (the investigator) feels they are to restrictive and leave the complaintant out in the cold which is what Palin's husband and family seemed to feel and why they made the calls and emails. But your blinders are on so I wouldn't expect you to actually look at what is written.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
I certainly don't have time to dig up stories from the past to get in to a pissing match about the evils of the far right. Although I'd be more than happy to do such.

Then do it. I can match you all day long with the ever growing number of states in this election cycle that are investigating ACORN for voter fraud.

I just find it ironic that the McCain nor his supporters here can give any creditable reasons as to why we should vote for him.

They have but those that don't want to hear never do.

We already know the results of the failed Bush/Cheney leadership that McCain voted with over 90% of the time.

Yeah Larry, they are just bestest of buddies. The important votes are the 10% in which he disagreed with the President. Not because he voted yes on a bill of little or no significance.
What does a "present" vote count for since that is the majority of Sen. Obama's votes?

McCain still hasn't explained to voters if he is any different than Bush.

He sure has. On global warming, energy production, cutting government spending and reforming programs he is totally different the President Bush.

luv2fly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 23):
Palin's husband and family seemed to feel and why they made the calls and emails. But your blinders are on so I wouldn't expect you to actually look at what is written.

I read the whole report and it is plain to see that this whole incident was fueled with hate and anger against there former brother in law! And once Palin got into a position of power they used that to further there agenda against this individual. And allowing her husband to use her office to hold a meeting on this is totally uncalled for.

mt99

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:42 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 2):

That's incorrect. From the convention on Gov. Palin has been raising the issues.

What are you talking about the Rep convention was AFTER the Dem convention! You were saying that this "urgent" issue was not raised because the Republicans did not know if Obama or Hillary was going to be the nominee.

The Ayers link was not raised by either Palin or McCain till last week.

They knew about it. They kept quiet. Its insulting.

Its akin to a doctor prescribing you medicines for a cold for 6 months, then saying "You have Cancer. We have known for the last 6 months. You only have one month to live so you need urgent chemotherapy now. No time to waste. This is of critical importance"

PSA727

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:35 am

Obama has never produced his birth certificate. The lawsuit in question is called Berg vs.
Obama. The DNC has tried to get this thrown out, however the federal judge has rejected
their request. I believe the next court date is 10/15 and this is taking place in a U.S. District
Court in PA. This plaintiff is asking that Obama's birth certificate be presented to the court,
BTW a certificate of live birth is not a birth certificate and the COLB was not given to anyone
neutral to authenticate. Part of the problem rose from the conflicting reports as to the exact
hospital in Hawaii where Obama's was born. Now the only living witness to his birth that's
left is his grandmother, and she is basically being sequestered by Obama and not talking.

Now if that wasn't enough, there is this gentleman by the name of Corsi who has just come
back from Kenya with some very interesting information. In fact he was taken into custody
just before a scheduled news conference there, but he and his associate were then later released and taken to the airport after a bribe was paid to the authorities.

And then the Chicago Sun Times is now reporting that a RICO investigation by the feds is
taking shape against ACORN in about 15 states (and counting) regarding fraud with voter
registrations. Y'all remember ACORN? The group the SEC just contacted the Obama camp
about because they did not correctly disclose their $800K payment to the group. I believe
the comment by the campaign officail was "oh, it was just a clerical mistake that we didn't
catch." Obama had said back in December that ACORN was going to be "at the table"
in the first 100 days of his administration. Glad to see that he's remained close with the
group over the past decade.

OMG there's more?!!! Looks like Tony Rezko, y'all know him from that "boneheaded" land
deal he made with his next door neighbor....Barack Obama, is working out an agreement
with the feds in regards to his sentencing in exchange for considerable information about the
Chicago political scene.

PSA727

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 am

Well I guess it's better than being called a racist. That label is being thrown around so often that I've almost forgotten the meaning. It's someone that disagrees with Obama right?  Wink

mt99

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:01 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 29):
Well I guess it's better than being called a racist. That label is being thrown around so often that I've almost forgotten the meaning. It's someone that disagrees with Obama right? Wink

Well I guess it's better than being called a terrorist. That label is being thrown around so often that I've almost forgotten the meaning. It's someone that disagrees with McCain/Palin right? Wink

PSA727

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:20 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 30):
Well I guess it's better than being called a terrorist. That label is being thrown around so often that I've almost forgotten the meaning. It's someone that disagrees with McCain/Palin right? Wink

Actually I believe it's origin (not sure if Latin or Greek) is someone who disagrees with
Bush/Cheney. But since McCain and Palin are identical to the two, I guess it's now
interchangeable. Don't you just love how languages evolve?

OA260

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:08 am

Obama Under Threat, Castro Says

Former Cuban president Fidel Castro has claimed it is a "pure miracle" that US presidential candidate Barack Obama has not been assassinated.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...acle_Barack_Obama_Not_Assassinated

Aaron747

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):

Former Cuban president Fidel Castro has claimed it is a "pure miracle" that US presidential candidate Barack Obama has not been assassinated.

News to Fidel: Nobody in the US cares what you think. We're too busy arguing over who is inciting what, whether it be a new brand of Democratic Party socialism or Southern Comfort politicking.

RJdxer

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 22):
it now seems very possible it could lead to violence sometime between now and the election.

And they accuse the GOP of using scare tactics. sarcastic 

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 24):
And allowing her husband to use her office to hold a meeting on this is totally uncalled for.

Sure it is. If that is the best you have then I'd be willing to bet there is plenty of company to join her in Washington. The state Personnel Board is doing an investigation and that is the proper place for it to happen. If you want to talk about ethics I'll stack hers up against Sen. Obama's or Sen. Bidens any day of the week.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 25):
What are you talking about the Rep convention was AFTER the Dem convention!

By one week, what's your point?

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 25):
The Ayers link was not raised by either Palin or McCain till last week.

Incorrect. It was brought up briefly in September and was completely submerged by the beginnings of the financial crisis which then dominated the campaigns.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 25):
They knew about it. They kept quiet. Its insulting.

What is insulting is Congressman John Lewis calling Senator McCain a segregationist and comparing him to George Wallace. As Clinton was, as soon as questions are raised about Sen. Obama's judgement they play the race card.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20081012/cm_thenation/45371531_1

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 30):
Well I guess it's better than being called a terrorist.

No one in the McCain/Paliln camp has called Sen. Obama a terrorist. They have described, accurately, his relationship with an admitted domestic terrorist.

baroque

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:06 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 30):

Nearly Mt99, someone that disagrees with McCain/Palin and tries to destroy the US - oh hang on, that is Wall St.

Wonder if OBL has been taking notes on how to be a real pain in the proverbial of the USA.

mt99

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:17 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 34):
By one week, what's your point?

My point was (is) that you were wrong in your earlier assertion.

Incorrect. It was brought up briefly in September and was completely submerged by the beginnings of the financial crisis which then dominated the campaigns.

Prove it. And in case there you haven't noticed, the financial crisis was still going on as of last week. If what you have said is true, they could have shouted just as loud as they did last week. Was this during the time the campaign was "suspended"?

What is insulting is Congressman John Lewis calling Senator McCain a segregationist and comparing him to George Wallace. As Clinton was, as soon as questions are raised about Sen. Obama's judgement they play the race card.

Great change the topic. Taken notes from Palin i see: "I wont answer that question, instead let me tell you what i memorized"..

NAV20

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:29 pm

According to this (the most recent) poll, Obama's national lead is now into double figures - a clear 10%.

"With just over three weeks until Election Day, the two presidential nominees appear to be on opposite trajectories, with Sen. Barack Obama gaining momentum and Sen. John McCain stalled or losing ground on a range of issues and personal traits, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

"Overall, Obama is leading 53 percent to 43 percent among likely voters, and for the first time in the general-election campaign, voters gave the Democrat a clear edge on tax policy and providing strong leadership.

"McCain has made little headway in his attempts to convince voters that Obama is too "risky" or too "liberal." Rather, recent strategic shifts may have hurt the Republican nominee, who now has higher negative ratings than his rival and is seen as mostly attacking his opponent rather than addressing the issues that voters care about. Even McCain's supporters are now less enthusiastic about his candidacy, returning to levels not seen since before the Republican National Convention."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn.../AR2008101202333.html?hpid=topnews

Don't recall a lead of those proportions for many years. And, to my mind, it's probably a direct result of the McCain/Palin camp (or maybe just Palin?) deciding to start 'dishing the dirt.'

luv2fly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 37):
And, to my mind, it's probably a direct result of the McCain/Palin camp (or maybe just Palin?) deciding to start 'dishing the dirt.'

I have to agree with you on this. What I think is sad is that when McCain started this campaign he said numerous times he would run an above board non negative campaign, well we can see how he failed to keep that word. On the other hand he will be remembered as the man who ran one of the most negative and at times false information campaigns in history and not for what he did in the Senate for all his years.

RJdxer

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 36):
My point was (is) that you were wrong in your earlier assertion.

Which you have yet to show.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 36):
Prove it.

What is this, triple dog dare you time? You said they didn't talk about it until after the GOP convention, which was the week after the DNC convention. It wasn't until shortly before the DNC convention that Clinton gave up her campaign. Then the debates took place and the financial meltdown happened. That the Ayers and his association were not highlighted during that time period, even though they were mentioned, was dictated by events that were unfolding then. That the news media has chosen now to pick up on the McCain claims is their choice.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 36):
And in case there you haven't noticed, the financial crisis was still going on as of last week.

But in the middle of September there was no bail out package and no solution in place as there is now.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 36):
Great change the topic. Taken notes from Palin i see: "I wont answer that question, instead let me tell you what i memorized"..

So in other words you don't like it when comparisons are made? Too bad. What Congressman Lewis did is insulting because it is so obviously wrong as even Sen. Obama agrees (read link) unlike the true charges of association and thus lack of judgement and character made by the McCain campaign. The real question here should be, why are you afraid of an examination of this relationship? If all it is is "a guy in the neighborhood" there shouldn't be any problem discussing it. Instead Sen. Obama's supporters, like you fly right off the handle.

baroque

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 37):
According to this (the most recent) poll, Obama's national lead is now into double figures - a clear 10%.

Don't worry Nav, it is still a "nosedive" as we were assured it would be. It is just we don't get the correct perspective on things being as how we are standing on our heads!  Wink

mt99

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 39):

What is this, triple dog dare you time?

I quadruple dog dare you

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 39):
You said they didn't talk about it until after the GOP convention,

You were the one that said that. Not me. What i said id that it hadn't been raised until the polls went south.

seb146

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 38):
What I think is sad is that when McCain started this campaign he said numerous times he would run an above board non negative campaign, well we can see how he failed to keep that word.

I think (this is just my opinion) McCain surrounded himself with enough strategists that he could simply sweet talk everyone and let his cronies do the dirty work. Sure, he told his audiences to be nice to Obama and he said he would not run a negative campaign. But, there are plenty of groups out there his people could give money to to put smear ads out.

Just a "for my knowledge" question: The Republicans held their convention second both this year and in 2004. Why is that? Why did the Democrats not hold their convention second? How do they decide these things?

Dreadnought

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 42):
Sure, he told his audiences to be nice to Obama and he said he would not run a negative campaign.

Why is questioning Obama's choice of friends considered 'negative'? Most people with any sort of decency would avoid having anything to do with people like Ayers, and would have quickly recognized that Wright was a radical.

I can understand his association with Wright - in Obama's own book, he admits that he became an anti-white racist during the early 80s, and that now he isn't, and it's up to the voters to decide whether or not to believe him.

But the Ayers connection is a headscratcher, and absent a believable explanation from him, either he sympathises with Ayers and his views, or he is one of those people who simply has no conscience.

Superfly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 pm

About that stupid bigot McCain supporter that called Obama an Arab.

John McCain could have done a better job in answering that question. Glad that he said good things about Obama but he didn't condemn this lady for making anti-Arab remarks. Arab is a race of people and they could be of any faith. The most prominent Arab American politicians are Republican. This lady insulted John Sununu, Daryl Issa and Spencer Abraham who are also Arab. John McCain should have corrected that idiot right there on the spot.

Then do it. I can match you all day long with the ever growing number of states in this election cycle that are investigating ACORN for voter fraud.

Yawn!
...and all they are going to find is new registered voters.

OA260

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm

That stupid Woman who was on the mic with McCain probably represents a huge amount of the IQ's of his voters. What a stupid remark. ''He is an Arab''.

------------------------

Good program on BBC tonight for anyone who can get it ::

Obama and the Pitbull: An American Tale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dzyg0

luv2fly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Another fine example of an upstanding member of the Republican party! He hails from PA and seems not to have the balls to be a raciest when the cameras are on him. Maybe his white sheet was at the laundry!

I watch this and find myelf thinking is this really 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDU6yAwoVrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bky2SGrmC8g

Superfly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 46):
Another fine example of an upstanding member of the Republican party! He hails from PA and seems not to have the balls to be a raciest when the cameras are on him. Maybe his white sheet was at the laundry!

I watch this and find myelf thinking is this really 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDU6yAwoVrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bky2S...rmC8g

Totally disgusting.
If Obama brought this up, conservatives would accuse him of playing the race card.
If the media was so 'liberal', they'd run with this story but they're not.

Dreadnought

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 44):
Another fine example of an upstanding member of the Republican party!

And since when do Republicans have the monopoly of using terms like traitor, liar, murderer, etc.? As I recall, Dems have been using those terms against the sitting U.S. President, his administration and even military commanders for the past 8 years now. So don't get all outraged with me.

And let's not forget these campaign shenanigans:

Vandals destroyed signs and defaced the York County, GOP headquarters writing "Republican means slavery" on the door and also defacing posters. The County GOP Chairman, who is black, seemed unfazed but noted that this "show[s] the election is much closer than folks would have you believe."

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/877049.html

Two men were arrested Saturday in Portland, Oregon after throwing a molotov cocktail at a McCain sign in Portland and starting a fire.

http://www.thebeenews.com/news/story.php?story_id=122376701181256200

In June, Obama plays the race card: "They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2040982720080620

In August, DNC Chair Howard Dean plays his card: "If you look at folks of color, even women, they're more successful in the Democratic party than they are in the white, uh, excuse me, in the [laughs] Republican party."

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html

On the September 12th edition of "The View"Whoopi Goldberg asks McCain: "Do I Have To Be Worried About Becoming a Slave Again?" if McCain appoints originalist justices to the Supreme Court.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/jus...worries-about-becoming-slave-again

On September 17th Obama tells his supporters to "argue and get in their face" of people who do not support him.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...-obama-tells-supporters-argue.html

The same week Obama put out a Spanish language ad misquoting Rush Limbaugh as suggesting "Mexicans are stupid" and should "shut your mouth or get out."

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09...to-rush-limbaugh-stir-controversy/

On September 24, impeached corrupt judge and Democrat Congressman Alcee Hastings said: "Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks."

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/2...what-they-do-with-jews-and-blacks/

On October 9, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid implied that any connection between Obama and failed Fannie Mae CEO Franklin Raines was racist because "The only connection that people could bring up about Raines and Barack Obama is they both are African-American, other than that there is nothing."

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/192383.html

And let's not forget all the examples from "news" media figures who opine that racism is the only reason Obama could lose.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...erg23-2008sep23,0,6910088.column

PSA727

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 46):
And let's not forget these campaign shenanigans:

And don't forget the 4 "enlightened" ones that showed up outside a Palin event in Philadelphia
over the weekend with custom-made t-shirts that read "Palin Is A C**t" (BTW the last word
has an "n" and a "u" in it) One of them was a woman, which I found incredible. Now just
imagine if 4 people (even if one of them was black) showed up at an Obama event with the
words "Obama Is A Ni**er" on it.

Superfly

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 47):
And don't forget the 4 "enlightened" ones that showed up outside a Palin event in Philadelphia
over the weekend with custom-made t-shirts that read "Palin Is A C**t" (BTW the last word
has an "n" and a "u" in it) One of them was a woman, which I found incredible. Now just
imagine if 4 people (even if one of them was black) showed up at an Obama event with the
words "Obama Is A Ni**er" on it.

'C--t' is a derogatory word to describe one's personality. The 'n' word is a derogatory word to insult an entire race. Both are bad but I am surprised you can't make the distinction.

PSA727

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 48):
'C--t' is a derogatory word to describe one's personality. The 'n' word is a derogatory word to insult an entire race. Both are bad but I am surprised you can't make the distinction.

I'm not trying distinguish which is worse/better. The distinction I am trying to make (and was
better laid out in Dreadnought's post) is that there is no shortage of hostility and anger coming
from the Obama supporters, yet the media wants make it seem that McCain's people are the
only ones pushing the "hate button".

But I would love the media to say something like, "Well you know, those 4 were just making
a point about Sarah Palin's personality, and not trying to be derogatory towards women."