Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:24 am

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...cry-sparks-littlebigrecall/1257227

Quote:
The "social platforming" game is already gathering rave reviews, but it hasn't proven popular with one Muslim group, which issued a complaint to the game's publisher Sony concerning one background music track. Performed by award-winning Malian musician Toumani Diabate, the song quotes two verses from the Qur'an. Many Muslims consider the mixing of music and scripture to be deeply offensive.

Seriously, the article says the game is already packaged, and ready to be shipped out. Is Sony seriously going to recall all of those game packages, destroy the discs, and reissue new discs that do not feature the particular songs?

Are there groups that sit around all day, searching the planet for anything remotely offensive to them, so that they can lodge complaints?

You know what's offensive? People with lots of sand in their crotches.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

stasisLAX

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:29 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Thread starter):
Is Sony seriously going to recall all of those game packages, destroy the discs, and reissue new discs that do not feature the particular songs?

It's a business decision that Sony had to make, or face the possibility of a much larger boycott of Sony products by some members of the Muslim faith.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

vikkyvik

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:33 am

Are there groups that sit around all day, searching the planet for anything remotely offensive to them, so that they can lodge complaints?

I am deeply offended by your post. Please remove it.  Yeah sure

Unfortunately, it seems that the answer to your question is yes. Some people seem to have nothing better to do than find things that offend them and complain.

Makes you wonder if they actually have a life - or if their whole life is based around trying to get offended.

Shit, look hard enough for something that offends you, and you're bound to find it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Springbok747

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 am

Yeah read about this one...what a freaking joke. It's a bloody video game...nothing else. Don't buy it if you feel offended..simple. Shame that Sony is bowing down and recalling the game.
אני תומך בישראל

Aaron747

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:54 am

Sony is a sideline investor in entertainment groups who own adult video companies in Japan that feature titles with women competitively pissing and high school girls being coerced into performing lesbian acts with oversized toys that likely require seeing a doctor after use...where are the complaints about that? Just plain stupid that anyone would complain about what's in the original post.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:58 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 2):

It's a business decision that Sony had to make, or face the possibility of a much larger boycott of Sony products by some members of the Muslim faith.

If this is all that it takes, for an entire religion to boycott a product, then perhaps they ought to just throw out their computers, and go back to writing on stone tablets.

And it's not just Muslims. Christians and Harry Potter? Jews and the Passion of the Christ? Muslims and cartoon drawings?

As the saying goes, why fret the little stuff?

Why not worry more about the fact that their religions are being perverted by their far right wings, and used as bludgeoning tools to promote everything religion is not: murder, greed, bigotry and hate.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Aaron747

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:31 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 5):

Why not worry more about the fact that their religions are being perverted by their far right wings, and used as bludgeoning tools to promote everything religion is not: murder, greed, bigotry and hate.

The eternal question, isn't it? You almost feel like a fool for being intelligent enough to ask it...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jetblueguy22

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 am

If they recall it they are stupid. It always seems ok when a song or a character in a game uses Jesus' name in vain and yet you have one little quote from the Quran (excuse me if that is wrong) and they go nuts! I know most folks here in America it wouldn't bother but I know the certain groups of radicals are freaking out.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

ltbewr

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

If there is something blasphemous toward Christians, there is a lot less chance of acts of protest, violence, terror or a major boycott than if done so as to the Islamic faith. The depictions of pictures of the Prophet Mohammad, or in this case, the use of music with material from the Quaran is extremely important and sensitive to some segments of believers of Islam. It also goes deeper as such acts are seen as an expression of intentional insult or ignorance of their faith as well as a lack of involvement of a wide range of people in the designing of such products.
Sony may have to take a hit from this, do the morally right and business necessity of withdrawing and reissue new DVD's of the product and show some real concern of their markets in the future.

wn700driver

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah, this is really getting out of hand.

I'm sorry, but it's time to stop worrying about offending religious zealots. These people have every right to carry around beliefs rooted in 4th century idiocy. But we have superceding rights not to be harassed by such pageantry. You'd never know it by the way the extremists have essentially hijacked that whole religion, but there are actually a lot of intelligent, moderate muslims out there. I can only imagine what they think when this crap gets trotted out on a sadly regular basis.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Gman94

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:10 pm

The thing I don't get is why these Muslim groups complained to Sony about the music. All Sony has done is license a song from a record label, if the song is offensive to them shouldn't they contact the record label. The problem is that many people seem to have a different interpretation of their religion as I've heard Muslim people I know not care in the slightest. Also in fairness to the guys that complained they were sincere and polite in their communication with Sony and weren't burning effigies of sackboys and demanding the heads of Sony executives like some people would.

Where I think Sony have dropped the ball is that if you translate the text into English it's something that's not really suitable to be in family orientated video game rated 7+ and upwards.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

mainMAN

Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 5):

Do you mean hatred? I'm personally offended and deeply resentful of the North American bastardisation (with an s) of the English language Big grin

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 9):
I'm sorry, but it's time to stop worrying about offending religious zealots.

Bring it on!!  thumbsup 

MattRB

RE: Get...Over...It

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Dear Sony,

Thank you for showing that you are a company without testicular fortitude and for enabling a small group of close-minded bigots.

Unfortunately, there won't be a 'next time' for you to do the right thing and tell groups like these to just deal with it and not to buy the game if they're so afraid of hearing music with religious passages in them.

Congratulations for ceding your rights to political correctness.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Aaron747

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 11):
Do you mean hatred? I'm personally offended and deeply resentful of the North American bastardisation (with an s) of the English language

Not our fault - you chaps let us off the island!

Quoting MattRB (Reply 12):

Thank you for showing that you are a company without testicular fortitude and for enabling a small group of close-minded bigots.

Kind of ironic really. Famous Sony ex-CEO Akio Morita co-wrote a book with Japanese nationalist politician Shintaro Ishihara entitled 'The Japan That Can Say No'...turns out nobody was listening.

Emirates773ER

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Now here is a report from the BBC, apparently no one protested other than a msulim gamer who SUGGESTED the music be changed by using a patch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7679151.stm

"Speaking to the BBC LittleBigPlanet creators Media Molecule said it was alerted to the problem by a Muslim gamer who had been playing a beta, or trial, version of the game.

The music in question comes from a Grammy award winning Somalian artist and is known to have been available through online music stores for months.

In an e-mail the gamer who spotted the Koranic phrases warned that mixing music and words from Islam's most holy text could be considered deeply offensive by Muslims. He suggested producing a software patch to remove the music.

Media Molecule said it did produce a patch but, following consultation with Sony, decided to go further."
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

RJdxer

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:54 pm

From the article in the OP....

Performed by award-winning Malian musician Toumani Diabate, the song quotes two verses from the Qur'an.

I wonder how many of the people buying the game would have even realized that if there was no publicity?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!