Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AFC_Ajax00

RE: I Voted

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Me too, just mailed my absentee ballot back to the State of NY today!

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 48):
Always, I drive it to the drop site.

Then what's the difference between that and voting at the poll site? You're going to end up there one way or the other it seems.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 49):
Regardless of what system is used, there is some small chance your vote won't be counted because of error.

Yes, but entrusting it to the mail compounds the chances. I understand that very few ballots have been lost but it still would bother me that other people besides poll workers were handling my ballot. If it makes people in Oregon or wherever happy, good for them, but I would always want to go to the polling place.

ER757

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 51):
Then what's the difference between that and voting at the poll site? You're going to end up there one way or the other it seems.

No waiting in line to check in, vote etc. Also, you can study the ballot measures at your leisure at home, re-read the voter pamphlet to be sure you've got all the details correct on the complicated ones etc. It's all down to personal preference is all. Some, like you, prefer the activity of going to the polling place. Others, like me, prefer to just go by election HQ and drop off the ballot at my convenience. It's just like mailing a letter. As I said earlier, for me it's really easy, the election board is literally across the street from my office. For others, I am sure it's more involved.

OA260

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Warning over US election problems

Researchers are warning of potential problems during the US election with record numbers set to vote and many states using new voting machines.
Long queues are likely at polling stations on 4 November, Pew researchers say, and both parties are hiring lawyers in anticipation of challenges.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7683677.stm

Dougloid

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 53):
Researchers are warning of potential problems during the US election with record numbers set to vote and many states using new voting machines

Don't worry about it. We'll be fine. It's always a little hectic which is why a lot of us use absentee ballots.

Signed,

The United States.

AirframeAS

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 pm

I voted yesterday at one of the Jefferson County, Colorado early voting branches. It was interesting how the ballot was all computerized. It was pretty cool. No paper ballot.

LTU932

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 55):
the ballot was all computerized.

This is something that frightens me a bit. What if the computer crashes or the system gets hacked? Until the technology is secure enough, we should stick to what is better: Paper ballots.

Also, I don't know why the many different states have different types of ballots for the general elections in the US. I don't want to bring up 2000 again, with the punchcard ballots and the hanging chads, but wouldn't it be better if the issue on how ballots should be for a generation election is handled federally and not by every state? Germany does it like that, and it has so far worked for us. So why not introduce a federally normed ballot for the US general elections, where you simply have to put an X next to the candidate(s) of your choice? You can still keep the ballots for the state elections the way you like (for the 16 German federal states, they all have their own types of ballots for their local state and/or communial elections; there is a single federal ballot standard, but it's ONLY for the federal elections or Bundestagswahlen).

Tugger

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:23 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 2):
Why doesn't Texas mail you a ballot for early voting? So much easier from the filling out these long ballots (especially if your state has more than a few ballot measures) from the comfort of your favorite chair.

I must admit that I am not a fan of "general voting" by mail, where we switch to a system of just mail-in ballots. I know that there are real cases where this is the only option and there needs to be (and are) options to have it, but in normal situations going in and voting "live", marking the ballot in the polling station (sure you may have filled out the sample ballot all ready and have it there to go off of), is the only way to assure a free vote. No one can look over your shoulder, no one can make you vote for or against something. I can just see situations where people voting at home in front of their loved ones (or abusers, or demanding parents, or ???) do not have the freedom the voting really requires. Maybe its a bit "tin hat" but I just think voting needs to be simple basic and assured to be free of coercion.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 56):
This is something that frightens me a bit. What if the computer crashes or the system gets hacked? Until the technology is secure enough, we should stick to what is better: Paper ballots.

I agree, I don't know why everyone seems to love these computerized voting systems. Nothing is cheaper or simpler to keep fair than a paper ballot. Physical, hardcopy ballots can be watched, tracked, validated, and reviewed if needed. Keep it simple, keep it safe.

Tugg

kc135topboom

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 am

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 23):
No, in NZ you only have to be registered to vote, you don't actually have to vote.

We could send ACORN to help register everyone, including those who have died.

duck   duck   duck 

seb146

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 51):

Yes, but, for example, I am taking my ballot in today. No line. As opposed to waiting until November 4 when the queues at drop sites will be long. But, the wait will be just long enough to drop a ballot instead of waiting for someone to vote. Besides, if someone (like me) wants, we can simply put a stamp on the envelope and pop it in our own mailbox before (just guessing here) Nov 1.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 52):
you can study the ballot measures at your leisure at home, re-read the voter pamphlet to be sure you've got all the details correct on the complicated ones

Yes! That is what took most of my time voting. I hate the way the ballot measures are written. I had to read the enclosed pamphlet to vote for the ballot measures. People would have gotten pissed of at me for taking so long voting if we went to polling stations. With this system, we can lay back in our recliners with the TV on and fill in the circle completely. Kinda like taking the SATs but with cheat notes. Big grin

AirframeAS

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 56):
What if the computer crashes or the system gets hacked?

The computers are locked with a special 'physical' key when it is left unattended and the judges are the only ones with the keys.

santosdumont

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Mrs. Santos telegraphed me yesterday with the news that my ballot had been mailed...from the Old Post Office in Washington DC no less!

I can think of no higher form of tribute to those who have died defending the Constitution than exercising a relatively painless (but sacred) franchise...even if you vote for Howard Stern (which is not a bad idea).

Aaron747

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 61):
even if you vote for Howard Stern (which is not a bad idea).

Certainly not. Hark! The herald provocateurs of our time rejoice (sans Imus)!

dvk

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 pm

"But if you would provide proof that any Presidential election has been "stolen" in our nations history please do"

Read about the 1876 election. Samuel Tilden defeated Rutherford Hayes in the popular vote, but irregularities in awarding the electoral votes caused the election to be thrown to the Congress . More chicanery occurred there, with votes questioned and changed until the election was finally awarded to Hayes by one tainted vote. It caused such an uproar in the country that Hayes immediately promised to serve only one term in order to get the situation resolved.

[Edited 2008-10-23 09:37:31]

[Edited 2008-10-23 09:38:12]

57AZ

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:16 am

Here in Arizona, I can mail my ballot in or I can turn it in at any Early Voting site or I can cast it on Election Day. In Arizona, the mail or early ballot is completed and placed in a sealed envelope, on which an Affidavit is printed and must be signed by the voter. These ballots are not to be unsealed until Election Day, when they are actually counted.

In my case, if I were to choose to vote in person on Election Day I have a lot of flexibility. I can either cast my ballot at the designated polling place for my district or I can cast my vote at the Pima County Recorder's Office. I usually vote at the Recorder's Office since it's next door to the Superior Court (I work there) and I am allowed paid leave of up to one hour for the purpose of voting on Election Day (per state law).

kc135topboom

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:21 am

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 53):
Researchers are warning of potential problems during the US election with record numbers set to vote and many states using new voting machines.
Long queues are likely at polling stations on 4 November,

Many US states have solved this problem. They solved it by asking all Republicans to cast their votes on 4 November. Democrats are to cast their votes on 5 November.

kappel

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 pm

[quote=LTU932,reply=56]This is something that frightens me a bit. What if the computer crashes or the system gets hacked? Until the technology is secure enough, we should stick to what is better: Paper ballots.[/quoute]
IMHO there's not much to be scared of. In the Netherlands we've had computerized voting since the 1990's, without big problems. However, some regions are reverting now to paper ballots, most are sticking with computerized voting.

seb146

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting Kappel (Reply 66):
IMHO there's not much to be scared of. In the Netherlands we've had computerized voting since the 1990's, without big problems.

Ah, yes... But there were several problems with the computerized voting in the States. Many people in 2004 told officials their vote had changed; They voted for Kerry, but it registered for Bush. Howard Dean even went on national television after the election and showed the nation how easy it is to manipulate the votes. Even with evidence, Bush is still in office!

kc135topboom

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:59 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 67):
They voted for Kerry, but it registered for Bush.

I guess the computers really do know what they are doing.  bigthumbsup 

allstarflyer

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 26):
I agree the Electoral College needs to be revisited. What's the incentive to vote if you are not in a swing state?

Electors could be apportioned according to how districts are voting, not according to states as a whole - why not, since there's as many electors as there are congressmen - 435 districts for 435 representatives, and the extra 100 electors, 2 in each state - they could vote according to how the state is progressing as a whole (in a tight race, they'd have to make the call themselves) . . . but then that might still tilt the balance, wouldn't it?  Wink