Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning

RE: U.S. Election - McCain/Palin Campaign - Part 6

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 50):

I just find it highly ironic that abortion proponents are lecturing a abortion opponent (and governor of one of our 50 states) about how to reduce the chances of problems during childbirth.

So you imply here, unless I'm terribly mistaken, that because I am pro-choice, I cannot value human life or the importance of the well-being of mother and child during birth.

That is a rotton, horrible thing to imply.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 49):
And I'm a grown man.

That's what I have heard ........ so why ......

1) Intelligent Design. Taught with evolution, another theory. If taught instead of evolution, that is pushing values.

2) Limit to abortion access/overturning Roe v. Wade Value taught - to be consistent in our judgements. If murder if unlawful, abortion being legal would be inconsistent. Still Doc, between you and me, I can't see why abortion would affect you so much.

3) Limit to family planning access So? What we need is pre-sex- family planning. Once the baby is conceived....it's kinda late for family planning. What's wrong with this?

4) Abstinence-only education mandated in schools And 8 year old kids won't get their invaluable condom and banana demonstrations, nor will they learn about the joys of homosexuality. What's wrong with that?

5) Banning gay marriage It's banned nearly everywhere already.

6) Blocking attempts to add sexual orientation to the list of classes protected by anti-discrimination law It's a complicated issue as I am certain you know. I would just like to ask you to not give the impression that not having sexual orientation listed does not mean there is a group of people who would like to be able to keep discriminating against you legally.

RJdxer

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 46):
Wasn't that a republican favorite past time.. bringing up Clinton's bj?

In which Presidential race was that brought up? It came to light in his second administration so he was not running in 2000 or 2004. Neither of those races featured it that I can remember.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
Expect this to contiue as long as the GOP is running on continuing Bush's agenda. McCain is an extension of Bush.

Yet another cliche'. You need to borrow Sen. Bidens rimshot machine.

The few things McCain disagrees with Bush is very small.

Like immigration, spending, McCain-Fiengold, yep just a few small things.

McCain in his own words has voted with Bush 90% of the time.

Which if you examing the votes means absolutely nothing. It's the 10% of the time that he didn't vote with him that contain the big ticket disagreements.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 48):
Republicans have been running against Bill Clinton since the day after the election in November of 1992.

They have? As stated above, when was President Clinton brought up by the GOP in either 2000, 2004, or in this cycle? The 2000 election revolved around Gore wanting to continue to reinvent government and President Bushes desire to cut taxes and privatize Social Security. The 2004 election revolved around Iraq. This election has revolved around President Bush since Sen. Obama has few details that remain the same for long on what policies he wants to implement save a tax increase.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 48):
You're kidding..

Go back and read. You'll find I disagree with him on his fiscal, immigration, and election law policies. That being said I am still in less disagreement with him than I am with Sen. Obama.

StuckInCA

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 pm

abortion proponents

There's no such thing as an "abortion proponent."

problems during childbirth

Supporting a woman's right to choose, especially in cases of incest or rape, is much different than disregarding reasonable care to safe childbirth.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 51):
That is a rotton, horrible thing to imply.

Doc, I just thought it was ironic. All I know you by is your words....and by your words you are pro-choice (unless the choice is life). I cannot proclaim you to be an unfeeling monster since I do not know you at all. Wouldn't that be bearing false witness?

I don't think I implied it, but if you took it that way I am sorry about it.

Superfly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 53):
Like immigration, spending, McCain-Fiengold, yep just a few small things.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 53):
Which if you examing the votes means absolutely nothing. It's the 10% of the time that he didn't vote with him that contain the big ticket disagreements.

Say all you want but McCain can't shake Bush/Cheney/Rove/Rice/Rumsfield/Wolfowitz from his campaign platform. People's minds are already made up about McCain.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 54):
There's no such thing as an "abortion proponent.

Is that so? Perhaps that one needs it's own thread.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 54):
Supporting a woman's right to choose, especially in cases of incest or rape, is much different than disregarding reasonable care to safe childbirth.

Boy that's slick. Have you been reading about conversational hypnosis too? Anyway, I answered your question in the post above.  Wink

Aaron747

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 25):
Unfortunately the cheerleaders on either side keep apologizing for their heroes and ignoring this.

I'm so tired of the campaign primarily because of this. These threads are endless yacking about anything BUT the fact that both of these men are repeating lie after lie after lie on a daily basis despite presenting themselves as change agents.

Right now, Americans want the straight truth, and neither of these ambitious fatheads can deliver it.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 32):
Just what most people do when their 22... not reading Lennon

Anybody who didn't fall in love with John Lennon lyrics at 22 had something seriously wrong with them...people of all stripes and backgrounds love the guy, period.

RJdxer

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 56):
Say all you want but McCain can't shake Bush/Cheney/Rove/Rice/Rumsfield/Wolfowitz from his campaign platform.

Only because the democratic party continues to make up things to try and tie them together. They (the democratic party) long ago gave up trying to run on the truth of the matter. It wasn't that long ago that the liberal press was praising Senator McCain for standing up to President Bush. Of course Sen. McCain was dumb enough to believe they actually thought that. Now he sees where that line of thinking has gotten him.

The democratic party and Sen. Obama in particular have to tie everything they can from this administration to Sen. McCain to deflect the voters from looking too closely at their plans, which don't contain a single shred of vision. Just the same old left wing, class envy, soak the rich, the government has all the answers rhetoric they've been peddling since before Dukakis ran. This time around enough people will buy in to it and after 4 years that will make the Carter years look pretty good by comparison, Sen. Obama, then President Obama will get an early retirement. Once their taxes go up and they see people who are doing nothing to help themselves getting all sorts of freebies, anger will begin to rise.

luv2fly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Interesting article on Palin and her recently released expense reports. Seems she might have run on the theme of removing corruption, though she looks guilty of it as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_el_pr/palin_family_travel

The state is already reviewing nearly $17,000 in per diem payments to Palin for more than 300 nights she slept at her own home, 40 miles from her satellite office in Anchorage.

mt99

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 pm

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Gov. Sarah Palin charged the state for her children to travel with her, including to events where they were not invited, and later amended expense reports to specify that they were on official business."

Fun times for all!

Aaron747

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 60):
Interesting article on Palin and her recently released expense reports. Seems she might have run on the theme of removing corruption, though she looks guilty of it as well.

HTF cares?? The campaign she works for is wandering aimlessly and they are blowing their chances at the election. Obama supporters should be demanding of him to provide a solid outline of how he'll run the first year of his Presidency and who will be members of his Cabinet instead of talking about Palin. Utterly ridiculous. It's unquestioned that Palin is an ambitious opportunist who uses language well enough to appeal to certain groups of voters. Who does that sound like??

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 59):
The democratic party and Sen. Obama in particular have to tie everything they can from this administration to Sen. McCain to deflect the voters from looking too closely at their plans, which don't contain a single shred of vision.

What's McCain's vision? Nothing!

Face it - both campaigns have none and are unwilling to tell it like it is to voters at this point. The financial crisis completely altered the fiscal landscape - the current White House is going to sign off on another bailout before they're done, possibly two if the markets remain unstable. Both candidates should be talking about how they're going to recommend handling a much more restrictive environment without creating massive inflation, and we've heard NOTHING of the sort.

They are BOTH using whatever possible to deflect voters from looking too closely at reality - which is exactly what government seems best at doing these days. What's worse, the media has been totally complicit. Notice virtually all reporting is back to the campaign now? What happened to the financial crisis? The whole thing's a heaping pile of horseshit.

Superfly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 59):
Only because the democratic party continues to make up things to try and tie them together.

Ummm, it's public record. Anyone can look up a Senator's voting record. If the Democrats were lying about all of this, the people as well as the Fox spin machine would have called them out on this long ago.

The state is already reviewing nearly $17,000 in per diem payments to Palin for more than 300 nights she slept at her own home, 40 miles from her satellite office in Anchorage.

WOW!  Wow!
So much for all that talk about being a 'reformer'  Wow!

In all, Palin has charged the state $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office in December 2006. In some other cases, she has charged the state for hotel rooms for the girls.

I wonder if Bristol got 'knocked up' in one of these hotels!  rotfl 

As Ronald Reagan would call them; "Welfare Queens driving Welfare Cadillacs".  Smile

Superfly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 62):
What's McCain's vision?

20/200?  smirk 

Ok, ok bad joke.  banghead 

DocLightning

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 61):
"ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Gov. Sarah Palin charged the state for her children to travel with her, including to events where they were not invited, and later amended expense reports to specify that they were on official business."

I dunno. I don't like the direction this is going. Almost everyone who has an expense account will at one point or another charge something to it that is possibly inappropriate depending on point of view.

It doesn't look as if she was doing something blatantly wrong, like using government money for a family vacation to Disney World or something like that.

Aaron747

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 66):
The people of Alaska should care as they soon will have her back and they can now see her true colors.

Then they will deal with her then, as well it appears they should. Still has no bearing on this campaign, in which the candidates have much larger issues to be dealing with that they refuse to talk about.

luv2fly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 pm

HTF cares?? The campaign she works for is wandering aimlessly and they are blowing their chances at the election.

The people of laska should care as they soon will have her back and they can now see her true colors. Do as I say and not as I do.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 pm

Gee whiz, look all the liberals got their campaign hotlink item at the same time from huffpost.  Yeah sure LOL

From the "article".....

In October 2007, Palin brought daughter Bristol along on a trip to New York for a women's leadership conference. Plane tickets from Anchorage to La Guardia Airport for $1,385.11 were billed to the state, records show, and mother and daughter shared a room for four nights at the $707.29-per-night Essex House hotel, which overlooks Central Park.

$176 a night overlooking central park. Good deal? You betcha.  Wink

In July, the governor charged the state $2,741.26 to take Bristol and Piper to Philadelphia for a meeting of the National Governors Association. The girls had their own room for five nights at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel for $215.46 a night, expense records show.

That sounds like the least cost you can get away with at that hotel (which was, I presume, the location of the governor's association annual meeting). Mom's got a job that requires travel, and mom's got responsibilities with children, so mom takes children. You elected her, you pay the miniscule bill. Grab tissue - wipe eyes.

In addition to the commercial flights, the children have traveled dozens of times with Palin on a state plane. For these flights, the total cost of operating the plane, at $971 an hour, was about $55,000, according to state flight logs. The cost of operating the state plane does not increase when the children join their mother.

$971 per hour? And this passes as -huge- to the aviation oriented people of this website?

$56 dollars per night. I know how much hotels cost and so do all you well travelled people.

What we have in this article is severe omission. That's why the numbers are so extraordinarily small. That was all that could be dredged up for who knows how much was spent to dig it all up. Not a very good deal for the buck if you ask me.

If we knew the whole story, we'd agree that this governor and her necessary children use extraordinary thrift-ability when arranging travels....compared to every other mainland governor hands down.

All I can say is  talktothehand  Sorry.

md80fanatic

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Whoops misread the first one. A bit pricey yes.....but as a governor I don't think it's too out of line.  Smile

Superfly

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 67):
Still has no bearing on this campaign, in which the candidates have much larger issues to be dealing with that they refuse to talk about.

If the McCain/Palin camps wants to be petty and tit-for-tat then it is relevant. Especially if she wants to promote herself as a "reformer" that fought corruption.
Anyhow, this is something the press is running with. After all, she is under investigation. I haven't heard Obama or Biden say anything about this.

johnboy

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:02 am

W

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 61):

This gal's a real maverick!
 Big grin

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 52):
Still Doc, between you and me, I can't see why abortion would affect you so much.

So extending that logic, i'm sure gay marriage doesn't frost your jets either?

Aaron747

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:07 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 71):

So extending that logic, i'm sure gay marriage doesn't frost your jets either?

That's the best argument against gay marriage opponents and haters: if you are heterosexual, how does gay marriage affect you? Answer: not in any way, shape, or form. Eat it.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 70):

If the McCain/Palin camps wants to be petty and tit-for-tat then it is relevant. Especially if she wants to promote herself as a "reformer" that fought corruption.

Wrong. If the Obama camp wants to truly be a 'change agent', it will demand the press stop reporting diversionary things the American people aren't interested in hearing about. Set a new precedent for it! Instead demand they continue reporting on Wall Street largess. Demand they continue reporting on the incredible inflation that will beset the citizenry when Bernanke and his buddies are finished with their no-depression-at-any-cost economic programming. Demand they continue reporting on successes in Afghanistan and how an Obama administration would seek to continue them. There are many far more important things Obama supporters should be demanding the campaign focus on. Instead they have Palin tunnel vision. Pathetic.

luv2fly

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 am

I noticed how you went with quoting the small numbers of her sins.

What we have in this article is severe omission. That's why the numbers are so extraordinarily small. That was all that could be dredged up for who knows how much was spent to dig it all up. Not a very good deal for the buck if you ask me.

If we knew the whole story, we'd agree that this governor and her necessary children use extraordinary thrift-ability when arranging travels....compared to every other mainland governor hands down.

The problem is and you totally ignored it was her taking the kids on questionable trips. And know that she is being watched more carefully the fact that the already submitted reports have been altered. My question is if you did nothing wrong why go back and changed it. I can answer it CYA!

I think the one I quoted should make you stand up and say hmmmmm! Per diem when your staying in your own home.

Superfly

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 72):
If the Obama camp wants to truly be a 'change agent'

redflag 

Obama / Biden has said nothing about it.

it will demand the press stop......

They have zero authority over the press.
Rule number one for any politician, don't create enemies in the press. Richard Nixon did that and it did him no good.  no 
The last thing Obama wants to do is create more enemies when he already has plenty to begin with.

Set a new precedent for it! Instead demand they continue reporting on Wall Street largess. Demand they continue reporting on the incredible inflation that will beset the citizenry when Bernanke and his buddies are finished with their no-depression-at-any-cost economic programming.

Again, they have zero authority over the press.

Demand they continue reporting on successes in Afghanistan and how an Obama administration would seek to continue them.

Some media outlets have done that but as I said before, they have zero authority over the press.

There are many far more important things Obama supporters should be demanding the campaign focus on. Instead they have Palin tunnel vision. Pathetic.

You are confusing the press with Obama supporters.
Most Obama supporters could care less about Sarah Palin. However, she does give a good laugh. Big grin

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:40 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 73):
The problem is and you totally ignored it was her taking the kids on questionable trips.

I didn't ignore it, I found no problem in it. She has kids, she's a real mom, they are part of the job, deal with it. BTW, isn't the ability to include kids in the workplace, so they aren't forced into day care, what women's liberation was trying to secure in the first place? Women were discriminated against because of their familial duties....not any more with Palin.  Wink

I think the one I quoted should make you stand up and say hmmmmm! Per diem when your staying in your own home.

Let's be logical. Under what circumstances would a home stay be do-able. If she stayed late at work, and the state has an arrangement for her to stay in Anchorage overnight rather than drive home. $56 a night won't get you a whole lot of hotel anywhere in the USA.....so the per night charges do not seem to be a direct replacement for hotel room charges. $56 a night sounds more reasonable for her SUV to make the round trip, pick up the kids and go home. Besides $56 a night is less than what the state expected to pay for her to stay in a hotel room....so she actually saved the state money by staying at home.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:55 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 74):
Obama / Biden has said nothing about it.

That's part of the problem.

Again, they have zero authority over the press.

Hard to believe - given all the endorsements from major newspapers and obvious TV pundits' infatuation with him, a few emphatic words from Obama urging a new direction in discourse would likely have positive results. All he needs to do is pick up a microphone and say "enough with the shallow reporting - Americans want to hear about things that matter to their every day lives"

Most Obama supporters could care less about Sarah Palin.

These boards are not a good indication of that in the least.

luv2fly

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:56 am

The former Governor never did it nor allowed it for himself or his staff. So she basically charged the state of Alaska $56.67 per night for a whole friggen year! So she used the state to pay her mortgage. She lives all of 40 miles away from the state house her place of employment.

luv2fly

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:00 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 75):
The problem is and you totally ignored it was her taking the kids on questionable trips.

I didn't ignore it, I found no problem in it. She has kids, she's a real mom, they are part of the job, deal with it. BTW, isn't the ability to include kids in the workplace, so they aren't forced into day care, what women's liberation was trying to secure in the first place? Women were discriminated against because of their familial duties....not any more with Palin.

Why can a Mom include the kids and it is thought that she is being caring, though dads never do it and they are not called negligent? Also the kids are supposedly in school not day care. And if the kids need that much attention then she might be the wrong person to be second in command. Though for being so hands on Bristol still managed to get pregnant.

And yet if was Obama you would be questioning why Michelle had the nerve to do it.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:14 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 78):
Why can a Mom include the kids and it is thought that she is being caring, though dads never do it and they are not called negligent?

DIdn't you have a mom once? Traditional American families do this kind of thing, google it.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 78):
And yet if was Obama you would be questioning why Michelle had the nerve to do it.

Not at these scant numbers, no I wouldn't. The sums listed are certainly not in the league of extravagance. They are exactly what I would expect to see with a woman and the kids she loves.

luv2fly

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 am

If the kids are such a interference I'll say it again then she is the wrong person for the job. If she can not focus and do the job then why do it. Also for someone who "supposedly" just had a baby you sure do not see much of this child. Pro life yes maybe, pro family not so much. And if she wants to be taken serious then she should do the job the same way a man would,no special favors just to do your job.

RJdxer

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:23 am

the current White House is going to sign off on another bailout before they're done, possibly two if the markets remain unstable.

Not if Speaker Pelosi has her way.

Both candidates should be talking about how they're going to recommend handling a much more restrictive environment without creating massive inflation, and we've heard NOTHING of the sort.

Probably because so much depends on what the foreign markets and banks do as well as what we do. I would have a problem with either candidate going forward with any plan that doesn't dovetail with the current administrations.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 63):
If the Democrats were lying about all of this, the people as well as the Fox spin machine would have called them out on this long ago.

Just goes to show what a fair fight 5 networks to 1 is.

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 76):
She lives all of 40 miles away from the state house her place of employment.

It's not the same as driving to Akron, L2F. The trip is tundra 6 months of the year. The max temperature in Anchorage never gets above 32F for 5 straight months. Also we all know there are a few months with very little light. Let's put things in perspective, shall we?

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:32 am

The "hottest Guvnor" in the nation seems to be causing a $150+K USD meltdown of the Republican National Committees department store credit cards....

"The Republican National Committee appears to have spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August."

Source: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:45 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 83):
The "hottest Guvnor" in the nation seems to be causing a $150+K USD meltdown of the Republican National Committees department store credit cards....

That's it?

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 83):
According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

Again, that's it?

---------------------------------------

How important are first impressions? Be honest. Especially when you -know- every hair on her face, and her family's faces, will be analyzed for everything for the next two months. Now with that said.....the amounts you quote are peanuts in today's world.

You know what would be an interesting comparison? Laying out all of Palin's expenses for clothing, hotels, the whole deal, against Obama and family's during the same time span. Do this, my friend, and you will get a fair perspective.  Smile

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 84):
Again, that's it?

That's $150K in only a 6 week period ending on September 30!!!!

And I thought Hillary's $3,000 a cut hairstylist was outrageous - at least Hill put alot of her and Bill's own money into her campaign....

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:02 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 85):

Yep. You read it right. She needs clothes that transcend K-Mart, and she needs lots of them. If she is seen at a major stop wearing the same thing as another time, what will the howls be on this "colorful" forum alone? I can easily see an outfit nearing $5000-6000 dollars from those sources.

It doesn't matter anyway.....the RNC understands that visually Palin is 98% of the ticket.....expenses are in line with importance. With more HDTVs ever in existence, liberals would use every "flaw" witnessed as a tool against her. Republicans know this is merely an investment in the future. Palin and others like her, -are- the Republican's future.

RJdxer

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 am

at least Hill put alot of her and Bill's own money into her campaign....

I thought the Obama campaign was going to make that money up for her. You mean they didn't?

Mir

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 81):
It's not the same as driving to Akron, L2F. The trip is tundra 6 months of the year.

Actually, it's very similar to driving to Akron. The road between Wasilla and Anchorage (yes, there is a road) is not only paved, it's a divided highway, complete with a median and on/off-ramps.

The max temperature in Anchorage never gets above 32F for 5 straight months.

It gets cold in Akron in the winter, too. That's what the climate control in the car is for.

Also we all know there are a few months with very little light.

They have night in Akron, too. That's what headlights are for.

Let's put things in perspective, shall we?

Yes, let's. The perspective is this: a used Toyota Corolla would probably do the job of getting from Anchorage to Wasilla in the winter 95% of the time. The other 5% might require a used Ford Explorer. This is not an arctic expedition we're talking about. The stereotype that you need a dogsled to get anywhere in Alaska in winter is just that, a stereotype. Apparently, you've really bought into it.

-Mir

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:11 am

You liberals need to understand the anatomy of a campaign stop.....this time at upscale retail outlets. The press is there, and hands are shaken, pictures taken, and the obligatory purchase by the candidate....with wishes for a prosperous Xmas season. Men go out and visit manly stops for the same effect.....but now we need to understand the female opens up other, sometimes costly, options.  Wink

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:29 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 88):
Actually, it's very similar to driving to Akron. The road between Wasilla and Anchorage (yes, there is a road) is not only paved, it's a divided highway, complete with a median and on/off-ramps.

A road to somewhere, then? Is the bridge included?

Quoting Mir (Reply 88):
It gets cold in Akron in the winter, too. That's what the climate control in the car is for.

Not like Alaska. I was born in Powhatton Ohio and spent many years shovelling snow and coal to stay warm. But even that was nothing compared to Anchorage.

Quoting Mir (Reply 88):

There are -kids- at home, sometimes alone. I can't believe I am bothering with this.  banghead 

Quoting Mir (Reply 88):
Yes, let's. The perspective is this: a used Toyota Corolla would probably do the job of getting from Anchorage to Wasilla in the winter 95% of the time. The other 5% might require a used Ford Explorer. This is not an arctic expedition we're talking about. The stereotype that you need a dogsled to get anywhere in Alaska in winter is just that, a stereotype. Apparently, you've really bought into it.

Hell, a bicycle would do the job. I recommend we bring Sarah before a judge immediately!

Seriously, I know it's not 4x4 territory....but it's not urban Ohio either. I guess we haven't had enough people run for office with actual youngsters at home....so we aren't accustomed to the needs of high profile public servants with young children.

Give this reach a rest, save your breath for something of substance.

Mir

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 am

Hey, as long as the GOP is spending their own money on it, more power to them. But I'd be pissed if it were my tax money being spent on makeup and hair. If you need makeup to make you attractive, YOU'RE NOT ATTRACTIVE.

And, to be perfectly honest, Sarah Palin doesn't really need to be spruced up that much. She's not bad looking as it is.

-Mir

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:37 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 91):
But I'd be pissed if it were my tax money being spent on makeup and hair.

Unlike Obama, Palin actually wears clothes. I imagine the lion's share of the money went there. Also, I am not certain....but I do not think tax money is being used.

mt99

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 92):
Palin actually wears clothes.

She might wear clothes.. but she still doesn't know what she would do as VP yet..

"Sarah Palin truly is not a Washington insider. Per Think Progress, she told a local television station in Colorado (in response to a question from a third grader), that the Vice President is "in charge of the U.S. Senate, so if they want to they, can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes.""

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/10/sarah_palin_in_charge.html

And its not quite "per Think Progress".. there is video of it..

mt99

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:49 am

AirportSeven

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:52 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 89):
ou liberals need to understand the anatomy of a campaign stop.....this time at upscale retail outlets. The press is there, and hands are shaken, pictures taken, and the obligatory purchase by the candidate....with wishes for a prosperous Xmas season. Men go out and visit manly stops for the same effect.....but now we need to understand the female opens up other, sometimes costly, options

Wow, you sound like a real political insider. Tell us more about life on the campaign trail! It must be a magical experience if a down-to-earth hockey mom can drop $150,000 on clothes in two months just doing obligatory photo ops. When she goes back to Alaska in two weeks, does she have to give all that stuff back? Are women's clothing stores really the hotbeds of political activity that they look like or is that just on television? Does one have to be a mavrick to spread Christmas cheer in September or can liberals join in the fun, too?

Tell us! Tell us!

Mir

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 am

Unlike Obama, Palin actually wears clothes.

He wears suits. And I'll guarantee that he has several of them, all of them pretty high-end. Same for shirts.

Also, I am not certain....but I do not think tax money is being used.

Not at the moment, which is why I don't have a problem with it. If she did get elected, however, and started siphoning $5K per month out of the public coffers to pay for makeup and hair, I would have a problem with that, for the reasons I stated - it isn't necessary.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 90):
Quoting Mir (Reply 88):

There are -kids- at home, sometimes alone. I can't believe I am bothering with this.

How exactly does having kids at home make a difference when talking about driving in daylight vs. driving at night? One scenario, you use your lights. The other scenario, you don't have to. Kids don't enter into it.

-Mir

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 am

She's answering the question of an 8 year old. DUH.

Deflection, Distraction, and then Dud.

mt99

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:02 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 97):
She's answering the question of an 8 year old. DUH.

So you what? you answer incorrectly to 8 year olds? At what age do you answer them correctly?

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 95):
Does one have to be a mavrick to spread Christmas cheer in September or can liberals join in the fun, too?

Sure, but as liberals are obviously not aware, you cannot spend other people's money.

Quoting Mir (Reply 96):
He wears suits. And I'll guarantee that he has several of them, all of them pretty high-end. Same for shirts.

Did you miss the humour? The king wears no clothes...?

Quoting Mir (Reply 96):
How exactly does having kids at home make a difference when talking about driving in daylight vs. driving at night? One scenario, you use your lights. The other scenario, you don't have to. Kids don't enter into it.

Kids ..... darkness ..... scary ..... calls mom and asks her when she is going to be home (for the seventh time in one hour).....get the picture?

md80fanatic

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 98):
At what age do you answer them correctly?

Sigh, never mind.