concord977
Topic Author

My Mother Passed Away Today

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:39 pm

My mother lost her fight with various health issues today and left this world about 3 hours ago.

Looking back over the last week, there were some clues that she must've known it was coming. We spent some quality time together listening to Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller music, and we took a couple of long drives in the country.

My partner, who's away for the week got a surprise call from her last night just to say hello and to say that she missed him.

The last two years have required a lot of medical attention, which caused us to spend more and more time together .. a blessing now that I can look back.

But when I went downstairs to see her this morning and to take her to an appointment, she had already passed. The 911 people guided me through many minutes of CPR to no avail. I've never felt more powerless in my life.

I have no brothers or sisters, nor aunts or uncles. My friends are mostly scattered around the country, so I'm feeling the loss intensely, by experiencing it alone.

She was a warm & loving mother and friend, with a silly sense of humor. She was a talented musician, and served in the Navy in WWII as a radio operator.

To say that I'll miss her just doesn't convey what I'm feeling.
No info

luv2fly

RE: My Mother Passed Away Today

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:46 pm

I am sorry to hear about your loss it sounds like you lost both your Mother and a close friend. My thoughts are with you in this dark time. It helps to remember your Mother for the person she was and how she shaped your life. I know your sad she is gone, though no one can take away your memories and the love/friendship you shared.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Danfearn77

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Im very sorry to hear of your sad news. My thoughts are with you and your partner during this hard time.

Although this is a time to grieve, be sure you remember all the good times you shared with your mother. By the sounds of it you had a very close relationship with her and that is a great testament to the both of you. Too many people these days allow things to get in the way of their family relationships, but you havnt.

When your partner gets back, spend a few days together to keep each other company. Does he have a family network close? In the mean time, grieve for your mother with happy memories, some of which you have shared with her just this week.

Kind regards and condolences,

Dan
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

PSA53

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:53 pm

I wish to submit my condolences on your loss.Mothers are truly one of life's few treasures.I'm not sure how I could handle such a tremendous loss and dread the day.May you have strenght
on your loss.

[Edited 2008-10-22 11:54:47]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 pm

Condolenses on your loss.A mother can never be replaced.Out here moms are respected a lot for everything they do.
I'm sure you may be feeling very hurt currently.But time will cure things.
In return live a way that your mom would be proud of you.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

wilco737

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:03 pm

My condolences on your loss. Very sad to hear.

I hope you have strength during the next time and have people who help you through it now.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

OA260

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:10 pm

So sorry to hear that I hope that your partner will soon be by your side to comfort you.

Quoting Concord977 (Thread starter):
But when I went downstairs to see her this morning and to take her to an appointment, she had already passed. The 911 people guided me through many minutes of CPR to no avail. I've never felt more powerless in my life.

That sounds exactly like what happened to me when I found my Grandmother had passed, coincidentally its 5 years since her passing in two days time.

Cherish the memories and seek comfort from them and dont bottle up your feelings.

navymmw

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 pm

im very sorry to hear that, I hope you and your partner can have the strength to make it through this tough moment in your life.

eicvd

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Sorry for your loss Concord977.
COYBIB

DocLightning

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I am so sorry.  Sad
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

iairallie

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Grief is indeed a profound feeling (I lost my younger brother 3 years ago this month). It is impossible to verbalize it and impossible to express adaquate condolences. You were fortunate to have time to build memories to treasure and to share your love. She sounds like a special lady. I am sure she will be missed very much. My thoughts are with you.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

sv7887

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm

The last two years have required a lot of medical attention, which caused us to spend more and more time together .. a blessing now that I can look back.

But when I went downstairs to see her this morning and to take her to an appointment, she had already passed. The 911 people guided me through many minutes of CPR to no avail. I've never felt more powerless in my life

My warm sympathies to you..I went through something similar 8 months ago when I lost my father. Life has a way of following it's own timetable. I know how much it hurts believe me I do and I know the feelings of powerlessness and being alone.

Be thankful you spent so much time with her in her last few yrs. Perhaps it was fate.

I am sorry to hear you're alone in this (for the moment)...Don't withdraw from the world, allow your friends to support you in any way they can. One thing I realized is that people DO care, you just have to let them!

Hope you manage in the challenging and coming days ahead. Just think of all the warm moments you spend together...You took care of her in her last days, and I am sure wherever she is, she will offer her blessings of gratitude. You were undoubtedly a good son by taking care of her.

Be strong and you will get through this.

Warm regards,
Sam

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Concord, I'm terribly sorry for your loss, although it sounds like you and your mother shared a special bond, and that is something that you should be proud of, and praising today.

I have no brothers or sisters, nor aunts or uncles. My friends are mostly scattered around the country, so I'm feeling the loss intensely, by experiencing it alone.

This is something I fear as well as an only child. I feel your pain and anguish.

There is nothing stronger than a bond of mother and child, and for this, I wish you my deepest condolences.

Take care and be strong.

Mike
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

dragon-wings

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Im sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through, my mom passed away just 4 weeks ago from cancer.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 pm

A good friend told me once that grief is the price we pay for love.

You and your partner have my heartfelt condolences. I lost my Mom to cancer almost ten years ago and think of her everyday - with happy memories that make me smile.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

alfa75

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:49 pm

My sincerest condolences. You were very fortunate to have had such a wonderful relationship with her. Not everyone gets that. My mother was recently diagnosed with an illness that will take some time to run it's course. I will cherish every moment with her.
The best things in life aren't things!

hoons90

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:07 am

My most sincere condolences.  Sad
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

scrubbsywg

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 11):
I am sorry to hear you're alone in this (for the moment)...Don't withdraw from the world, allow your friends to support you in any way they can. One thing I realized is that people DO care, you just have to let them!

truly sorry to hear this, and i echo the statement from Sv7887. Another note though, and you dont sound like one that would, but dont hold anything against your friends if they dont bring it up much, or if they say dumb things. People grieve in many ways, and some don't like it, some are just bad at cheering people up in these situations(ive done it), but i am sure all your friends care and are there for a hug if you need them, as is the whole a.net family i am sure.

sorry for your loss.

B747forever

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 am

I am so sorry for your loss Concorde977. However, I am glad that you got to spend a good last week with her.

Once again, I am so sorry for your loss
Work Hard, Fly Right

YYZatcboy

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:31 am

Condolences. I hope you find peace soon.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

sccutler

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:32 am

Concord, I lost my Mom and my Mother-in-law (who was special soul herself) within the last year- I know your pain.

Prayers to you and your family.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 am

My most sincere condolences on your loss. May your happy memories help bring you comfort and peace in the days ahead.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

canuckpaxguy

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Curt. I know how much you admired your mother ... and for good reason! From what you've shared here, and what you've told me in the past, she seems like a remarkable woman.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
G

cedars747

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Concord977 please accept my most heartfelt and sincerest condolences !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

HowSwedeitis

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:05 am

Best of luck in this hard time 977. My condolences go out to you and your family. Remember, airliners.net is always a place you can go to get away from the stresses of life. Sit back, relax, and look at some beautiful airplane pictures!

-HowSwedeItIs
Heja Sverige!!

TUNisia

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:22 am

I'd give you a hug if I could even though I don't know you. Hope you find comfort in the coming days.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

fxramper

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:55 am

Ususally I think these type of threads are pretty lamel; that said.

I can't imagine how you feel right now and am very sorry for you loss. You are in my prayers tonight.

I can't imagine losing my mother right now.

pray 

jhooper

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:02 am

I'm very sad for your loss. Take care and I wish the best for your family in this trying time.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

pilotntrng

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:37 am

I am truly sorry for your loss. I lost my mom about a year and a few months ago. It will get harder before it gets easier. Hold on to the ones that are close to you. Don't be alone during this time. Mom's are our mom's , what can I say? They gave birth to us. When we lose them it's not easy. May we all come together and give prayers and condolences to Concord.

pray 
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

Femme

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:08 am

Just sending my thoughts for your loss......Sit back and think that you have no regrets, She KNEW you loved her with all your heart, that is a comfort that must stay with you.

Kind regards and thoughts

Claire
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

ual757

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:55 am

I'm so so so sorry. This is a tragedy and I really don't know how I would cope with something like this. Just know that now she is in a better place...

sorry   Sad

pawsleykat

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 am

Concord977, I'm firstly, very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you.
You were very lucky to spend her last week with her, she would be proud to know you did those things for her without looking for something in return. She'll also be very proud to know that you did all you could for her, right up to, and following her passing. She was indeed a very lucky lady.

Now is the time to grieve, but within that look back on what a wonderful life you two had together and know she'll be looking down on you with a smile and a warmness in her heart.

My thoughts and prayers to you

Jordan
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:48 pm

-
My condolences and my sympathies and solidarity with you ! I lost my mother on 22nd June. She was 90 years old, true, but as I had spend breakfast and evenings including dinner with her for years, and in the last months visited her four times a week, it left a tremendous and horrible gap. I try to follow the recommendation of the reverend of my Godfather who said that we must look upon whatever positive we HAD with the died relatives and not onto what might have been. And I also try to follow the advise of an aunt, who also died in the meantime, that you should not even try to forget a died person, but to keep up the memories and the live with all of this, as only THIS gives a chance for mental hygiene. Your mother will ALWAYS be a part of you, As sad as it is, try to overcome. Not easy, and I have not yet really succeeded but is is a MUST .

ME AVN FAN

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 10):
lost my younger brother 3 years ago this month

-
My 2 years older brother died in 1994, now 14 years ago, but to me, his death still is like yesterday ! After that, an employee of us, a decent time after, told me that I had "aged" within a day for a decade .......................

ScarletHarlot

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:29 pm

What a blessing that you were able to spend such quality time with your mom before her passing. I hope your partner is now with you so that you will be able to grieve (and heal) together.

I am also an only child...it is very strange when you lose a parent, when it's only the two or three of you in your family.

Keep the memories of your mom alive in your heart. One day, you will see her again.

Many hugs.
But that was when I ruled the world

concord977
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 pm

I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful words above, as well as the PMs and emails I received.

I know it seems odd to some people that I'd turn to a forum like this when tragedy happens, but for a few hours on Wednesday, I just needed to express my thoughts and ease the panic I was feeling in the moment.

The funeral will be on Tuesday in Indianapolis, and a new chapter begins.

Thanks again to all of you.
No info