Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

B747forever
Topic Author

F1 2008: Brazil Grand Prix!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:08 pm

FINALLY!!!

Finally we are on your way to finish the last grand Prix of this fantastic season. What a journey it has been so far, and just a final stop before it ends for this year.

Well everything is now between Massa and Hamilton, but lets not forget Kovalainen, Kimi and Alonso that can change how this season will end and wins the WDC.

Hamilton is on the lead with 7pts before Massa. If Massa wants to win the WDC he better finish as 1st and Hamilton cannot finish better than 6th. If Massa wins and Hamilton comes as 6th, they will have equal points, but Massa will win the WDC because he will have more wins than Hamilton (6 against 5).

The WCC is pretty much already won by Ferrari, but remember, anything can happen during a GP.

I cant wait anymore till the lights turn green and the field is released. It is a amazing first turn.

But one thing can we all conclude, who ever wins the WDC has made many mistakes this season.
Work Hard, Fly Right

EZEIZA

RE: F1 2008: Brazil Grand Prix!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting B747forever (Thread starter):
But one thing can we all conclude, who ever wins the WDC has made many mistakes this season.

Agreed!
But if you want to see the glass half full, those mistakes are the reason why we get to the last race without a title winner, just like last season. Hopefully, the final outcome will be similar, but at the end of the day, whoever takes it will mean that despite the mistakes, he was the best driver throughout the season and will deserve to win.

but lets not forget Kovalainen, Kimi and Alonso that can change how this season will end and wins the WDC.

It's going to be veeeery interesting to see what goes on with all these drivers and whether they wil influence in the final result. Anything can happen in Brazil!!! Big grin
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

B747forever
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 1):
It's going to be veeeery interesting to see what goes on with all these drivers and whether they wil influence in the final result.

I am sure that some of these drivers will have a influence in the final result. It will be interesting to see how they will do it.
Work Hard, Fly Right

photopilot

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:04 am

Hmmm.... Hamilton went into Brazil with a 7 point lead last year..... and blew it.

Can history repeat itself? What will be Hamilton's excuse this year?

What will Ferrari's team orders be next year with TWO World Champion drivers?

Gotta love the possibilities.

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:07 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 3):

Ferrari dont use team orders when both their drivers are capable of winning the WDC next year. Kimi is now out of the game, therefore Ferrari favour Massa.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LTU932

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
Ferrari dont use team orders when both their drivers are capable of winning the WDC next year.

You're forgetting that Ferrari has a history of issuing team orders to one of their drivers. Remember the Austrian Grand Prix in Spielberg 2002, when Jean Todt told Rubens Barichello to "let Michael pass for the championship", and millions of viewers around the world heard that order live on TV?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 5):
You're forgetting that Ferrari has a history of issuing team orders to one of their drivers. Remember the Austrian Grand Prix in Spielberg 2002, when Jean Todt told Rubens Barichello to "let Michael pass for the championship", and millions of viewers around the world heard that order live on TV?

I dont talk about the past. I talk about the present.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Springbok747

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:29 am

Both these guys don't deserve it. They've both driven like idiots. If they were real championship material, the WDC would have been decided 2-3 races ago. As far the the WCC goes, nothing decided there too. But it would be hard to imagine Ferrari losing that one...though they've done stupider things before!

Aren't team orders illegal? But anyway..of course both Ferrari and McLaren will be telling their 2nd driver (the 2 Finns) to help the championship contender. Heiki can really screw things up for Ferrari...say he qualifies ahead of both Hamilton and Massa...then he can make life hell for Massa. Can't wait for qualifying..BTW you guys here in the US..where do you see the race?! There isn't a single channel that EVEN mentions F1!! Amazing..all they show is reruns of some NASCAR race..and who gives a crap about a bunch of cars going around in circles?!!  banghead 
אני תומך בישראל

bill142

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):

I dont talk about the past. I talk about the present.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):

Ferrari dont use team orders when both their drivers are capable of winning the WDC next year

Yeah, you might only talk about the present, considering you were all of what? 10 years old? when the second biggest farce in formula one occurred, you probably don't remember it. Ferrari have used them in the past and have as recently as last week campaigned for the rules on team orders to be changed. Favouring Massa, is in effect, team orders. Just that the orders are being given before the cars take to the track, which technically, aren't against the rules and are hard to enforce.
The Austrian incident wasn't for the championship, it was purely for Michael Schumacher. It occurred so early in the season that Schumacher could have quite easily lost the championship, with or without that win.

FINALLY!!!

You're glad the season is over? you're not a true fan. I'm struggling to think of what I'm going to do until March next year. Thank god the Cricket season is about to start.

Have to let them race each other like they were allowed to do this season. Clearly unless your name is Schumacher, being WDC means nothing if you're a Ferrari driver.

BlueElephant

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 7):
Can't wait for qualifying..BTW you guys here in the US..where do you see the race?! There isn't a single channel that EVEN mentions F1!! Amazing..all they show is reruns of some NASCAR race..and who gives a crap about a bunch of cars going around in circles?!!

It comes on Speed TV...on extended or digital cable...and they'll barely show, one practice session, qualifying and the race...in favor of the boring NASCAR stuff.

you can also find it online.

sudden

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 8):
Yeah, you might only talk about the present, considering you were all of what? 10 years old?

Spot on my friend!
He is too imature to understand that the past have influenced the present!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Boeing74741R

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Actually, that infamous quote was at the 2001 Austrian Grand Prix, and the race was won by David Coulthard. It is covered in the 2001 season review video which I own and the order was made so that Schumacher could finish 2nd and rake in more points than had he finished 3rd behind Barrichello.

None. Because it is illegal.

baroque

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 10):
Yeah, you might only talk about the present, considering you were all of what? 10 years old?

Spot on my friend!
He is too imature to understand that the past have influenced the present!

Yes but not remembering the past makes the present so much more of a surprise!  bigthumbsup 

We have not had an a.net member before with Alzheimer for a username have we?

Does that mean that the WDC has no meaning because only the last race is to be considered? Many other interesting possibilities emerge too.

On the subject of this year's WDC champion having made many mistakes, can someone figure out a season where the final winner had not made many and egregious mistakes?

Might need to go back to Prost perhaps, but I will bet he was error prone too, just less so than some of his contemporaries.

sudden

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 12):
We have not had an a.net member before with Alzheimer for a username have we?

Hahahaa, now that's funny!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:10 pm

You're glad the season is over?

No I am not, but I am glad to see who will win the WDC this year.
Work Hard, Fly Right

waterpolodan

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Yeah, you might only talk about the present, considering you were all of what? 10 years old? when the second biggest farce in formula one occurred, you probably don't remember it. Ferrari have used them in the past and have as recently as last week campaigned for the rules on team orders to be changed. Favouring Massa, is in effect, team orders. Just that the orders are being given before the cars take to the track, which technically, aren't against the rules and are hard to enforce.
The Austrian incident wasn't for the championship, it was purely for Michael Schumacher. It occurred so early in the season that Schumacher could have quite easily lost the championship, with or without that win.

You know, they did make a farce out of that race and again at the USGP when Michael "accidentally" let Barichello edge ahead at the line during a photo op finish, but team orders always have been and always will be a part of F1. Go back to the 1950s and you'll see teams calling in 2nd tier drivers and forcing them to let the #1 guy take their car, back when car swaps were allowed during GPs, and it has only continued since that point. IMO, they should do away with the ban because any team in Ferrari's position last week with Kimi ahead of Massa would have done the same thing, and it's just silly to have to make it look like it's a legitimate pass, it's not fooling anybody.

As for the race, I can almost guarantee that Massa will dominate the entire weekend, he has been virtually impossible to beat at Brazil ever since he joined Ferrari, and the track should suit the Ferrari very well, so I expect Kimi to do his part and come in right behind Felipe. However, Hamilton has been very strong and I think that he will manage to keep his cool this time, follow the Ferraris home in 3rd or maybe 4th behind Alonso or Kubica, and win the WDC, which IMO he already won because the Spa penalty was utter BS. It seems sort of silly to me that Ferrari will win the WCC considering they've made more mistakes this year as a team than any other team in recent memory, but they built a blindingly fast car and besides the race in Hungary it's been very reliable. Also, for whatever reason Mclaren has pretty much only had 1 car fighting for wins all year thanks to the sub par performance of Heikki, so Ferrari was always going to be the favorite for the WCC. Can't wait for the race, I bet Lewis is sitting in his house right now staring at the steering wheel of his car and thinking, "Don't engage anti-stall! Don't engage anti-stall! Don't engage anti-stall!"

EZEIZA

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:22 pm

First, it was a legal move back then, and second, when MS was around, Ferrari had a clear #1 driver and a #2 driver. Barrichello knew it before he signed on for Ferrari. That was the game; Schumi gets the privileges, you go out and help.
Now Ferrari has no defined #1 driver. This obviously shifts as the season goes on, but at the beginiing they are both equal and no team orders are given. For next race it would not make sense to not favour Massa, just as Mclaren are favouring LH. Or do you think that if Masa is winning, HK is 5th and LH 6th, team orers are not going to be given out so the LH wint the wdc?
Come on, millions are poured into this sport by the teams, so why can't they be allowed to have a defined strategy towardst theor drivers, who are employees?

BlueElephant

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:44 pm

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4407504,00.html

Just to add something interesting.

Eddie Jordan seems to think that Massa would take out Hamilton, to win the WDC.

Honestly...I don't believe that...I think Massa is a fair driver...I may not believe or respect what he had to say about his incidents in Japan....but I don't think he'd do anything like that on purpose. Plus, by doing that he'd be hurting his chances.

Now...Kimi doing that is another story all together. Seeing as..even if Kimi wiped out Hamilton...Ferrari...would probably win both championships.

astuteman

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 15):
Also, for whatever reason Mclaren has pretty much only had 1 car fighting for wins all year thanks to the sub par performance of Heikki

Or is that the "over par" performance of LH in an inherently slower car?..  biggrin 

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 17):

That seems to be far more risky for Massa than for Hamilton, IMO - Massa is behind on points, and if he fails to score, by definition hands the title to Hamilton.

Hamilton taking out Massa? Who knows....

Rgds

LTU932

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Honestly...I don't believe that...I think Massa is a fair driver...I may not believe or respect what he had to say about his incidents in Japan....but I don't think he'd do anything like that on purpose. Plus, by doing that he'd be hurting his chances.

You still never know. It can happen that Massa can't hold his temper and starts making major mistakes.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Springbok747

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 9):
It comes on Speed TV...on extended or digital cable...

Thanks! Can't seem to find Speed TV here..will keep looking.

Don't think so. But then again, Massa can screw up at anytime..as he has already shown he can't maintain his cool..and he can make stupid mistakes like going off the track to overtake, hitting people coming out of the pit lane etc. It is all up to him to keep things together, he has a very capable car.

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 18):

Won't happen. I'm no Hamilton fan, but I don't think even he will do something like that.
אני תומך בישראל

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 pm

I highly doubt that Hamilton will take the risk to do that.

But do anyone think that if Alonso gets the opportunity to crash out Hamilton, will he do it??
Work Hard, Fly Right

astuteman

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 20):

Won't happen. I'm no Hamilton fan, but I don't think even he will do something like that.

To be honest, I agree completely.

Rgds

EZEIZA

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 pm

and he can make stupid mistakes like going off the track to overtake, hitting people coming out of the pit lane etc. It is all up to him to keep things together, he has a very capable car.

Whereas LH crashes into people in the pitlane  Wink

I think they have both made their fair amount of mistakes, probably many more than past wdc's, but I too think they are both going to go for it without crashing on purpose into eachother. I think Kimi and HK will also play fair ... if I would be LH, I'd worry about Alonso, because there it's personal, and Alonso has nothing to lose. But I could be very wrong and we'll see a proper race on Sunday without Senna-Prost or MS-JV style crashes  Smile

Also though, let's not forget that from what we've seen so far, they could crash into eachother but due to yet another mistake. That's something that could happen, especially if Massa finds himself close behind LH trying to pass him .. one of the two will lose it I'm afraid...

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 23):
one of the two will lose it I'm afraid...

Well one of them have to lose it, both cant be WDC  Wink
Work Hard, Fly Right

na

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:54 pm

I remember that a famous McLaren driver once did it, long time ago.

But, honestly, whatever mistakes he has made so far, THAT is something Lewis would NOT do. He is a fair driver, just overreacting sometimes, err, too often. Whoever becomes champion this year, he won´t get too much applause, as his shirt will be stained. Too many foolish mistakes on LHs side, too many unexplicable lackluster performances by FM.

Breaking news: A few days after Toyota Ferrari is threatening to leave F1 if engine uniformity really comes.
Good move, as I think thats the worst plan the FIA has ever come up with. Absolutely stupid. That has nothing to do with the idea of F1 as a drivers AND constructors championship.

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:05 pm

you're not a true fan.

Are you kidding me?? I am an avid F1 fan.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Boeing74741R

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 21):
But do anyone think that if Alonso gets the opportunity to crash out Hamilton, will he do it??

Yes. Now that would be hilarious!  Big grin

B747forever
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 27):
Now that would be hilarious!

Yes it would be. I bet that Hamilton will start fight with Alonso if that happens.
Work Hard, Fly Right

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:35 am

BTW do anyone know what the prognosticated weather for this GP is??
Work Hard, Fly Right

flyboysp

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:22 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):

No chance in hell he'll do that. The FIA would have legitmate grounds to disqualify him from the championship, like they did with Schumacher.
#proudtobeabulldog

EZEIZA

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:28 am

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 30):
No chance in hell he'll do that. The FIA would have legitmate grounds to disqualify him from the championship, like they did with Schumacher.

But he has nothing to lose! MS did, but he also had a lot to win, and he made the mistake of going for a far-from-smart, but Alonso has nothing to lose but a lot to win; taking a chance of getting his personal problems sorted out with LH, and .at the same time get Ferrari and the fans to like him for a future seat at one of the red cars. Besides, he did go public saying he'd help Massa, what exactly did he mean? How exactly can he help? its at least a bit suspicious  Wink

baroque

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am

Whereas LH crashes into people in the pitlane

Mmm. How does that rank with MS looming up out of the mist to crash into the back of ?Coulthard or whoever it was during a race? (So long ago the memory of who is a bit vague). Course they were both moving, so on the principle explained to me earlier, that would be a racing incident. I must not be good at counting angels on heads of pins as I cannot see much difference. Crash not into the person ahead of you - police around the world seem to have worked out that concept, so it cannot be all that difficult.  angel 

Stealthz

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:51 am

Whereas LH crashes into people in the pitlane

And was punished for it

hitting people coming out of the pit lane etc.

And was not punished for it... indeed the guy he ran into was!

Who will take who out in Brazil?

Massa taking Hamilton- a rational Massa won't do that as the risk is too great, sadly Massa has shown that rational is not always his chosen state of mind.*

Hamilton taking Massa, with the precedents set this year by the officials, specifically the stewards, LH will likely stay as far from trouble as he can.

Alonso, well there is the wild card, I think he, if legitimately in front of LH he might slow him. Would be real dumb of him to do anything stronger than that. It would likely make him unemployable in F1. Latin passion and his ability to carry a grudge is scary though. His actions last year show that he is a petulant little prat that doesn't always do the smart thing,

Cheers

* Massa might want to keep his nose clean because if he does anything silly the stewards, being the mercurial folk they are, might take draconian action just to show they don't favour the Scuderia(especially now that Luca de M has taken such a strong position in FOTA)
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

flyboysp

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 33):
Massa taking Hamilton- a rational Massa won't do that as the risk is too great, sadly Massa has shown that rational is not always his chosen state of mind.*

I think Massa will try keep his nose clean. He has to for the sake of the championship. Personally i think Massa will win the race and will lead from pole doing so.

Hamilton taking Massa, with the precedents set this year by the officials, specifically the stewards, LH will likely stay as far from trouble as he can.

No chance of Hamilton intentionally doing so. He would be disqualified from the championship. All Hamilton has to do is keep his car on the track, and the championship is his.
I just have this odd feeling that McLaren/Lewis will play it a little too safe, which may result in to something unwanted.

Alonso, well there is the wild card, I think he, if legitimately in front of LH he might slow him. Would be real dumb of him to do anything stronger than that. It would likely make him unemployable in F1. Latin passion and his ability to carry a grudge is scary though. His actions last year show that he is a petulant little prat that doesn't always do the smart thing,

I think Alonso will be a moving road block for Hamilton if the situation arises.
#proudtobeabulldog

scbriml

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:31 am

Guys, all this talk about drivers "taking other drivers out" is nothing but Playstation fantasising. At the drivers' briefing all the drivers will be told to make sure they don't interfere with Hamilton or Massa, and to let them race for the championship. Any driver who does interfere with their race should expect harsh treatment.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bill142

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:06 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 16):

First, it was a legal move back then, and second,

No question about it, it was legal. But it was stupid. Especially the joke of a podium ceremony that ensued. MS could have afforded to give RB that win and it wouldn't have made a squat of difference. Just because it was within the rules doesn't make it right. It's garbage like that that turns people away from F1. Think of the sport rather than your own team.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 16):
For next race it would not make sense to not favour Massa, just as Mclaren are favouring LH. Or do you think that if Masa is winning, HK is 5th and LH 6th, team orers are not going to be given out so the LH wint the wdc?

Of course they are. Hence my point in the China thread that team orders should only be allowed when one driver is out of contention for the title. There are two sides to the coin here, and the result of both has the potential to make F1 look stupid.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 24):
Well one of them have to lose it, both cant be WDC

Way to go Captain Obvious.

Hamilton doesn't need to fight Massa, so it won't happen. Hamilton has to fear the mid field, such as Alonso, taking him out.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 35):
Any driver who does interfere with their race should expect harsh treatment.

Unless you're Kimi Raikkonen. David Coulthard will probably get a reprieve since taking out other drivers is his primary role at Grands Prix in the absence of Yuji Ide.

Boeing74741R

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 32):
Mmm. How does that rank with MS looming up out of the mist to crash into the back of ?Coulthard or whoever it was during a race? (So long ago the memory of who is a bit vague)

That was ten years ago, and that was Coulthard's fault as Schumacher was going to overtake him to lap him. It was a breakdown in communication to alert DC that he was right behind looking to overtake.

Tge question is though, will he?

MadameConcorde

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:06 am

There are a lot of great drivers in this 2008 world championship but among them I only love Hamilton so -unlike last year- I hope he will win the world title!!

I believe he can fly off  airplane  and win Brazil too!  veryhappy 

Go Hammy!! You are THE BEST!!!  angel   cheerful   champagne   cloudnine 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

baroque

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 37):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 32):
Mmm. How does that rank with MS looming up out of the mist to crash into the back of ?Coulthard or whoever it was during a race? (So long ago the memory of who is a bit vague)

That was ten years ago, and that was Coulthard's fault as Schumacher was going to overtake him to lap him. It was a breakdown in communication to alert DC that he was right behind looking to overtake.

There you go, the Alzh has not taken over completely - yet!

Oh yes, what form of communication were you supposing - carrier pigeon? And does permitting to overtake involve taking to the air to avoid inconvenience???????

How is it the fault of someone in front, as I recall on the R side of the track when someone runs into the back of him in shocking visibility? The loonie coming up behind clearly could not see. And that is Coulthard's fault?

Same old argument.

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 31):
at the same time get Ferrari and the fans to like him for a future seat at one of the red cars.

I would love him!!  duck 
Work Hard, Fly Right

BlueElephant

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 35):
Guys, all this talk about drivers "taking other drivers out" is nothing but Playstation fantasising. At the drivers' briefing all the drivers will be told to make sure they don't interfere with Hamilton or Massa, and to let them race for the championship. Any driver who does interfere with their race should expect harsh treatment.

Normally I'd agree with that but we've seen exactly how much Race Control (Charlie Whiting) really has.

He came out saying that the move on Kimi by Hamilton at SPA was ok, and also said that Cars exiting the Pits had Right of Way...but Bourdais still got punished too..

I don't think neither Massa or Hamilton will do anything dumb (on purpose)...

and I would really hate to see anyone deliberately try and destroy either one's championship.
(although i'd like to see how the FIA would sort that one out...)

BTW...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71786

Ferrari in Quit threat....I kinda hope all the other teams follow in their path.

MadameConcorde

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 41):
Ferrari in Quit threat....I kinda hope all the other teams follow in their path.

Me too in case this standard engine becomes the new rule.  ashamed   biting   bored 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

sudden

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 41):
I kinda hope all the other teams follow in their path.

If teams are starting to pull out, you can also be sure that the sponsors will vanish too, and with that in mind, many tracks will not want to host F1 anymore either as it costs huge money to run an F1 weekend, that is mainly paid by visitors and sponsors.

You guys can later on start threads about golf, tennis, swimming etc. where you can bash each other and piss each off as F1 will not have any future if if FIA's idea will become reality.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Interesting article on what Hamilton and Massa has to do in order to win the WDC: http://www.f1.com/news/features/2008/10/8599.html
Work Hard, Fly Right

Stealthz

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 43):
If teams are starting to pull out,

And where would they go?
Are we to believe all these teams/manufacturers would abandon motorsport altogether?

Where do you see the manufacturers competing if they left F1?

Ferrari already has... or is... A1GP
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

EZEIZA

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 36):
No question about it, it was legal. But it was stupid

maybe not in accordance with Fair play, or sports' pronciples or whatever you wanto to call it, but not stupid. Ferrari had MS as #1 driver and they did all they could to make him win. That's where they had put the money, and that's where the sponsors put the money. So again, not stupid.

Just because it was within the rules doesn't make it right.

Says who? and based on what? It was a legal move that worked for what Ferrari had planned and invested on, so it was right. Not nice to see, and very unfair to Rubinho, but he knew he would always be #2 in the team when he signed.

Hence my point in the China thread that team orders should only be allowed when one driver is out of contention for the title

Fair enough

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
There are a lot of great drivers in this 2008 world championship

A lot of great drivers? Several good drivers, but I have not seen a great driver this season

Quoting Baroque (Reply 39):
How is it the fault of someone in front, as I recall on the R side of the track when someone runs into the back of him in shocking visibility? The loonie coming up behind clearly could not see. And that is Coulthard's fault?

I remember there being a big controversy regarding DC slowing down on purpose so MS would crash into him, can't remember though what the official ruling was (if any?) .... I thought when they got back to the pits that MS was going to actually beat DC up Big grin

Stealthz

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 46):
regarding DC slowing down on purpose so MS would crash into him

Well that was the MS version of the controversy anyway, though DC did admit later that in hindsight he would have handled letting MS past somewhat differently.

Stewards found no fault with DC but did request an explanation from MS of his driving.

Cheers

GrahamHill

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 45):
And where would they go?
Are we to believe all these teams/manufacturers would abandon motorsport altogether?

Mind you, there is not only Formula 1 in this world. Don't forget that some of these manufacturers also built their reputation in endurance (Ferrari) or rally (Toyota).

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 45):
Where do you see the manufacturers competing if they left F1?

Le Mans! American Le Mans Series, Le Mans Series, you choose!  Wink

Anyway, this stupid rule will never apply. Ferrari is vital to Formula One, so the FIA will look for something different.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

EZEIZA

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 47):
Stewards found no fault with DC but did request an explanation from MS of his driving.

And then people sau FIA always helps ferrari ....  Wink Big grin