Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

na

RE: F1 2008: Brazil Grand Prix!

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 pm

A thriller like last year.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton for winning the drivers title.
Congratulations to Ferrari for winning the team title.
Congratulations to Felipe Massa for driving like a true champion (and that in the rain!).

I left dinner last night to see the last lap (and my hosts did so too during the last seconds). It was worth it. Both, LH and FM, deserved the title, the luckier one made it. Like so many, I immiadetely thought McLaren had "bought" Glock. Overtaking with a less than perfect car in the very last corner appears quite dubious at first glance. Glock is a good driver, and certainly would be able to inherit Kovalainen who clearly couldn´t use the McLarens potential almost all year long. A single and (very) lucky win is not enough to qualify as driver in the second-best team. Better second drivers have been sacked. I didn´t know though in that moment that Glock was still on Slicks and without a chance.

Altough I still think LHs disqualification at Spa was not right it finally led to a thrilling last race.
So, now lets hope for Massa becoming champion next season! Or Kimi returning to his former self.

Euclid

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 350):
Imagine you just won a million bucks and you were immensly happy and then all of a sudden..someone says....oh sorry...your NEIGHBOR actually won.

You'd feel like crap....

Yes, very true, but I can guarantee that all the people that didn't like me would also take great pleasure at my disappointment. I don't like Felipe and I don't like his dad either, for the way he likes to act and showboat for the camera every time Felipe wins a race, so I will take pleasure in the fact that that the smirk was wiped off this arrogant twit's face in one fell swoop.

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 328):
Felipe, dunno.. he is certainly closer to his peak than say LH, SV, RK. Hesitate to say he will never get closer to a WDC than he did in 2007(I said that about Mansell at Adelaide in '86 and was wrong) but I don't think he has as much improvement left as the other three.

I'm actually surprised at hoe Felipe performed yesterday. That was the way champions' have to drive, keeping the pace with changing conditions, not allowing himself to screw up under pressure ... dunno, but if next season, with a reliable car and better teamwork, Felipe drives like yesterday, he'll be hard to stop. It'l be very interesting to see SV and RK, and of course LH now that he got 2007 off his back.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 328):
Kimi has likely peaked.

I think (hope) he learned from this season. He has proven in the past tbat he is better than what he showed, but you may be right.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 334):
Actually you might be surprised how well F1 could do without Ferrari.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 333):
And F1 would be a much better place without Ferrari in it.

F1 without Ferrari is like the World Cup without Brazil, or the Spanish League without R. Madrid ... it's just not the same. It's not a pretentious thing, it's a fact that Ferrari is the only team that has fans throughout the world in an amount so big to make a difference. The other teams have fans depending on who's driving their car, but Ferrari is different and you know it. If you really believe F1 would be a better place without one of the two top teams, then you should consider changing sport, becaue I for one would hate Mclaren not being there.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 343):
Kubica interfering while lapped

That one was interesting to say the least, but since he passed both cars quickly, at the end it looked like he didn't interefere that much, but it did look odd

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 350):
I see that you posted just before I did...my Apologies we must have been typing at the same time

No problem  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

astuteman

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting GermanInItaly (Reply 335):
Well, in that case F1 will not exist anymore, since F1 is basically Ferrari

And you think that's a positive? F1 should be about all 10 teams, shouldn't it?
Including Ferrari.
But NOT "excluding" everyone else...

If I want to watch a Ferrari advert, I could switch to ITV....
Oh. Wait a minute...  Smile

Rgds

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 353):
And you think that's a positive? F1 should be about all 10 teams, shouldn't it?

Yes, but it's not the same to have Ferrari pull out than to have Force India. F1 can and has gone on with smaller teams constantly coming and going, like Minardi, and some even not that small like Lotus, but can you honestly see F1 without Ferrari? Could it be called F1 without the team that has been there the most? I know I couldn't, nor could I imagine F1 without Mclaren, but without Ferrari is just unthinkable.

na

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 353):
If I want to watch a Ferrari advert, I could switch to ITV....
Oh. Wait a minute...  

From the late 50s to the mid-90s, with a few years inbetween dominated by Ferrari´s Niki Lauda, F1 was ruled out of (mainly) British garages. Thank god these bad times are over. The Cosworth and Turbo era was the worst in F1 history.
My firm belief is that F1 can live without McLaren, or without Renault, or without Williams, but certainly not without Ferrari. Ferrari is the core of F1. Like Brazil in football, Boeing in aviation, or Cunard on the oceans.
Sidenote: although LH is driving a McLarenMERCEDES and therefore for each Ferrari interview shown here there are 2 from the silver side, the majority in Germany was on Massas side yesterday. The TV station RTL, Germany´s sole "democratic" (cost-free) F1 channel since the mid 90s, showed a clear poll result during yesterdays race. And that despite LH is one of the most sympathetic drivers at the moment.
Massa showed a fine reaction after loosing the championship yesterday. Very emotional, but very manly too.

And, what many forgot yesterday: It was Coulthards last "race", or better, his last few hundred meters in F1. He deserved better.
Great guy. Farewell, David!

VC-10

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 354):
Yes, but it's not the same to have Ferrari pull out than to have Force India. F1 can and has gone on with smaller teams constantly coming and going, like Minardi, and some even not that small like Lotus, but can you honestly see F1 without Ferrari? Could it be called F1 without the team that has been there the most?

Many would have said the same before the demise of Coooper, BRM, Tyrrell & Lotus to name but four

Some of the foregoing Glock/Toyota conspiracy theories are amazing.

Look at it from a business POV.

Glock - Would it do his credability any good in the driver market to be seen as someone
who would give way to a none team member?
Would he want to give up points and prize money just so Hamilton can become WC
an earn millions?

Toyota - Would they want to forfeit points and prize money for Hamiliton? Loss of points may
affect how much travelling expenses they get next year.

Gman94

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 352):
F1 without Ferrari is like the World Cup without Brazil, or the Spanish League without R. Madrid ... it's just not the same. It's not a pretentious thing, it's a fact that Ferrari is the only team that has fans throughout the world in an amount so big to make a difference. The other teams have fans depending on who's driving their car, but Ferrari is different and you know it. If you really believe F1 would be a better place without one of the two top teams, then you should consider changing sport, becaue I for one would hate Mclaren not being there.

Nonsense! Formula 1 would go on just fine as would the World Cup if Brazil didn't qualify or La Liga if Real Madrid were relegated. That opinion is one of the reason's that I say Ferrari fans are not Formula 1 fans. I would mourn the passing of Williams if they withdrew from Formula 1 as that is the team I've always supported but Formula 1 would continue with or without them and Ferrari.

Quoting GermanInItaly (Reply 336):
You forgot the most important factor of this victory: THANKS GERMANY, THANKS MERCEDES.

And by that comment you have shown you know very little about Formula 1. The most important part of the car is the chassis, a powerful engine is useless if the chassis can't transfer that power to the tarmac.

Quoting NA (Reply 355):
From the late 50s to the mid-90s, with a few years inbetween dominated by Ferrari´s Niki Lauda, F1 was ruled out of (mainly) British garages. Thank god these bad times are over. The Cosworth and Turbo era was the worst in F1 history.

British teams still dominante the grid, 6 of the 10 teams are based in the UK. As the saying goes Italy is the spiritual home of Formula 1, Britain is the mechanical home of Formula 1.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 357):
Formula 1 would continue with or without them and Ferrari.

Sorry mate but you are wrong. F1, as we know it and as we've known it could not go on without Ferrari. If Ferrari would leave, the competition should change its name because throughout F1 history Ferrari has always been there, helping it become what it has become (for good and for bad). I'm not saying Ferrari is the best and everybody else sucks, I'm saying that F1 can't be F1 without the red cars. For starters, most of the GP's would have half the crowd in the stands at most, and tv ratings would drop. You can't deny that

bapilot2b

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 356):
Look at it from a business POV.

A few things that I can see/cant see...

1) How would McLaren/Toyota know that this 'situation' would arise on the last lap.

2) Where are the radio transmissions to prove any of this?

3) The way the race went the whole grid would have to have been bribed so how the hell could it be singled down to 1 team.

4) Again dont you think there would be somebody....somewhere in the teams that wants to whistleblow and sell their story to the news to make loads of ££££???

Quoting NA (Reply 355):
My firm belief is that F1 can live without McLaren, or without Renault, or without Williams, but certainly not without Ferrari. Ferrari is the core of F1. Like Brazil in football, Boeing in aviation, or Cunard on the oceans.

Ok...lets see the 2010 season be just 2 ferrari's racing over the 18 word championship rounds. Then lets see how many people will watch that.
Jason Nicholls - v1images

VC-10

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:17 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 355):

Couldn't disagree more. In the Cosworth era most World Drivers Championship competitors had the same engine, it therefore took one of the variables out of the equation and more emphasis could be placed on driver ability. In the recent era put Schuey in a Minardi and he would never won a WC, but in the Cosworth era, with some chassis development, he could have been a contender because he would have had the same engine as, say, McLaren.

Other pluses of that time were drivers were approachable, go on the pits walkabout and the cars were right on front of you, side on, just out of reach instead of today where they are end on 20 feet away in the garages. During that pits walkabout the drivers would come out and sign autographs and talk to the paying public.

In 1973 I got a guided tour around the Tyrrell pit a paddock area by Ken Tyrrell on race morning, try getting that from Ron Dennis these days.

Gman94

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 358):
Sorry mate but you are wrong. F1, as we know it and as we've known it could not go on without Ferrari. If Ferrari would leave, the competition should change its name because throughout F1 history Ferrari has always been there, helping it become what it has become (for good and for bad). I'm not saying Ferrari is the best and everybody else sucks, I'm saying that F1 can't be F1 without the red cars. For starters, most of the GP's would have half the crowd in the stands at most, and tv ratings would drop. You can't deny that

Sorry absolute nonsense, we'll have to agree to disagree. The only thing that would change is that the sad sheeple with their Ferrari caps won't be clogging up the stands on race days. Those stands will still be full and the TV rights would still command huge sums of money. Iconic names have gone before and if was to happen again F1 would still be here.

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 361):
The only thing that would change is that the sad sheeple with their Ferrari caps won't be clogging up the stands on race days

They are called fans, and they bring the ticket money to the races, so take them away, and most likely the stands wont be full, therefore the organizer won't make money.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 361):
Those stands will still be full and the TV rights would still command huge sums of money. Iconic names have gone before and if was to happen again F1 would still be here.

They would not be full, and if it should ever happen, at least out of respect, the name should change to Fwhatever, but F1 without Ferrari is not F1. Ferrari helped more than anybody else in building this crazy circus throughout the years. Everyone else, possibly with the exception of Mclaren, are replacable, but not Ferrari, and we can agree to disagree, but the tv ratings would by no means stay the same without the biggest player.
I'll go to foobtall again, are tv ratings the same when R. Madrid play in the Spanish league than when Sporting Gijon play? Take it to F1, wuld ratings be the same with Ferrari than with BMW? not by a long shot

B747forever
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 321):
and that he can win it in the final race in front of his home crowd (or have they changed the date of the race? not sure, hope not!).

Last race next season will be held in Abu Dhabi actually.

I have a question, do anyone think that Kimi will perform as bad next season as he has done this last half of the 2008 season?? He has really lost a lot of ground. I wonder if he will recover and become his former self.
Work Hard, Fly Right

VC-10

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 362):
at least out of respect, the name should change to Fwhatever, but F1 without Ferrari is not F1.

Out of repect to what? F1 is owned by the F.I.A. and Ferrari have the choice of competing or not, it is not F1.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 362):
Everyone else, possibly with the exception of Mclaren, are replacable, but not Ferrari, and we can agree to disagree, but the tv ratings would by no means stay the same without the biggest player.

As long as F1 remains a competetive spectacle, I won't say sport, that left F1 years ago, it will attract TV audiences. The vast majority of the TV audience are not fans so don't care whether there are any red cars in the race.

EZEIZA

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:32 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 364):
The vast majority of the TV audience are not fans so don't care whether there are any red cars in the race.

Are you absolutely positive about that? Do you really think F1 has more audience and considered the biggest motorsport competition out of nowhere? If Ferrari does not influence tv audience, why don't that many people turn to indy, or wrc, or even MotoGP or any other motrosport competition? There is no way I will be convinced that Ferrari is just one out of the ten teams in F1 and that they have no influence in ticket sales and tv audiences.

Out of repect to what? F1 is owned by the F.I.A. and Ferrari have the choice of competing or not, it is not F1.

Respect for being there since 1950. Ferrari of course have the choice of competing, but they both mutually serve their needs. Ferrari needs F1 and F1 certainly needs Ferrari.

BlueElephant

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:46 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 365):
Are you absolutely positive about that?

Honestly Mate...I've gotta agree with VC-10...

Although i'm not a huge fan of Ferrari team (because they're my team's rival)....it wouldn't be fun without them...BUT I could watch Formula 1 without Ferrari...BMW is coming up well too... as are other teams...and with all the new changes for next year...who knows what'll happen.

Do I want Ferrari to leave....No...But could Formula 1 work without them...yes.

EZEIZA

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 366):
Although i'm not a huge fan of Ferrari team (because they're my team's rival)....it wouldn't be fun without them...BUT I could watch Formula 1 without Ferrari...BMW is coming up well too... as are other teams...and with all the new changes for next year...who knows what'll happen.

Do I want Ferrari to leave....No...But could Formula 1 work without them...yes.

But it wouldn't be Formula 1. It would be another competition, probably as exciting and competitive, maybe with less controversy (  Wink ), but not Formula 1.
I would probably watch the pther competition too, but not having a Ferrari would make it a separate competition. I'm pretty sure the pther big ones (Mclaren, BMW, Renault, etc.) would also hate Ferrari not being there because of audiences. Yes, there are motorsport hardcore fans like yourself that enjoy watching anything related, but how many people watch F1 because of Ferrari? Millions! Ferrari is the only team that creates loyal fans as well as hard core opposition, they are loved and hated, but both sides make up the millions of spectators on tv, therefore the sponsors' $$. Everybody would lose without Ferrari.

Stealthz

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 367):
But it wouldn't be Formula 1. ......... but not Formula 1.

I just don't get this.

Ferrari have been around since 1950, so what, that does not make them indispensable to F1.
There were many of those years where they were also rans that contributed little and would hardly have added much to the ticket sales.

I don't want Ferrari to leave F1 but hell it would continue without them, may take a spectator and viewer hit for a while but it would go on.
This arrogance is so typical of the tifosi that they think the world is red and everyone else must agree or else.

Fi is bigger than any single team, there are threats to F1 and they are not team specific.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

baroque

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:24 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 368):
Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 367):
But it wouldn't be Formula 1. ......... but not Formula 1.

I just don't get this.

This has been an illuminating if rather bizarre exchange. Certainly explains a lot!! Much breath can now be saved in order to cool porridge. Obviously since F1 cannot exist without Ferrari, it is most unreasonable to oppose them winning every time. Now I see the error of our ways. The red mist has cleared - as if with a windscreen wiper.

What were BRM and Coventry Climax thinking of entering the hallowed fields? And Alfa Romeo got just what it deserved - it became Alfa Rogered. I see it all now. Thanks life is now bearable again.

EZEIZA

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:02 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 369):
Obviously since F1 cannot exist without Ferrari, it is most unreasonable to oppose them winning every time.

Smart comment ...
who is saying THAT? As much as I say that F1 has grown to be in great deal because of Ferrari, the non-ferrari fans (and probably some ferrari fans too) would not watch F1 if the title would always go one way. Remember audiences going down when MS would dominate?

Let's leave it as is, no point discussing this when you obviously are not getting what I am trying to say ... hell, forget I even like Ferrari, it was never the point.

Hope some day you'll hae the "thrill" of enjoying F1 without Ferrari and Mclaren, too bad it won't be called F1, nor it shouldn't

astuteman

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:43 am

As long as F1 remains a competetive spectacle, I won't say sport, that left F1 years ago

checkmark 
About the same time as "F1=Ferrari" appeared, I would suspect....
Because that of course infers.......

Quoting Baroque (Reply 369):
Obviously since F1 cannot exist without Ferrari, it is most unreasonable to oppose them winning every time. Now I see the error of our ways. The red mist has cleared - as if with a windscreen wiper.

Although it appears some people don't wish to see the analogy..

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 370):
who is saying THAT?

A sport held to ransom by one team is NOT a sport.  no 

Rgds

cpd

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 am

I don't see why it shouldn't happen. McLaren will win every race, every season.

Quoting Vc-10 (Reply 360):
In the recent era put Schuey in a Minardi and he would never won a WC, but in the Cosworth era, with some chassis development, he could have been a contender because he would have had the same engine as, say, McLaren.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

While the engines (Cosworth DFV) may have been equal, the quality of chassis development could be hugely variable from one year to the next, and performance could be hugely variable too. (eg, Niki Lauda at Swedish GP 1978 running away from the field)

In some years, if you didn't have a Lotus, you might as well have gone home. And in 1976, Anderstorp was another walkover for anyone who didn't have a Tyrrell-Ford P/34. While future World Champion Alan Jones finished one lap down on the imperious Tyrrell Fords.

Flying Belgian

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 am

Dear fellows,

I wanted to share this superb F1 2008 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0Ztfjuqv8

Enjoy !!!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

MadameConcorde

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

I would prefer them all to be there in '09 but if Ferrari goes, then be it.

I want to see the Aguris back + Takuma Sato.  couple 

http://www.takumasato.org/

http://www.saf1.co.jp/en/
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Stealthz

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 372):

Absolutely agree, the era of the "garagistas" gave us a huge variety of engineering solutions.

Does that mean I agree with the FIA concept of standard engines as a good thing?
Hell no, it would be the death of F1

The FIA points to the near ubiquity of the Cosworth engine in the late '60s and ''70s as justification for their plan.
The flaw in that argument is that while most teams used the Cosworth, not all did and it was their choice.

In an earlier post CPD mentions the raw fury of F1 and how that could be lost going to smaller capacity and fewer cylinders, I agree with him again.
I would prefer they went to a sensible fuel usage limit(with no refueling) and perhaps a rev limit, say 13-14,000 rpm and leave the rest free. That would challenge the engineeers without the astronomical expense of 19,000 rpm engines.

Cheers

Chris

PS Just had a crazy thought... if they are serious about a standard, affordable engine why not a Cosworth DFY or DFR, hell why not the DFV and get rid of the electronics altogether?
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

cpd

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:19 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 375):
Absolutely agree, the era of the "garagistas" gave us a huge variety of engineering solutions.

Heh, some of the solutions worked brilliantly, some others though - better left on the drawing boards.  Smile Even Colin Chapman wasn't infallible - the unpredictable Lotus 80 being a case in point.

But you know what, back then, the variety of engineering solutions - the sometimes bizarre design solutions leading to cars like the Tyrrell P34, Brabham BT46/B, Ferrari 312/T6 and maybe even the "Tea-pot" Ligiers.

I guess what I'm saying is, it doesn't have that wow factor these days.

Maybe you are right about engine rev-limits and no-refuelling - but I suspect they can build even a 16,000rpm engine with great reliability now, especially since when we hit the era of the super-responsive V10 engines approaching almost 1000hp, and those engines of 3.0 litres revved to 19,000rpm.

Whatever they do, maybe we need less barriers to innovation - so that F1 doesn't come down to this complex art of fine-tuning to the last degree as it is now.

eirbus06

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi guys,
just wondering who is taking over the coverage of F1 after ITV this season.Real shame ITV won't be doing it as they had a pretty good format going and good presenters also.  confused 

Gman94

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Quoting Eirbus06 (Reply 377):
Hi guys,
just wondering who is taking over the coverage of F1 after ITV this season.Real shame ITV won't be doing it as they had a pretty good format going and good presenters also. confused

BBC is taking over, thank goodness. Sorry I'm not of fan of ITV at all.

VC-10

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 372):

While the engines (Cosworth DFV) may have been equal, the quality of chassis development could be hugely variable from one year to the next, and performance could be hugely variable too. (eg, Niki Lauda at Swedish GP 1978 running away from the field)

In some years, if you didn't have a Lotus, you might as well have gone home. And in 1976, Anderstorp was another walkover for anyone who didn't have a Tyrrell-Ford P/34. While future World Champion Alan Jones finished one lap down on the imperious Tyrrell Fords.

It is interesting that two of your examples highlight an individual race in one particular season. One Swallow doesn't make a summer. Yes a team may have had a dominate car for a season or two, but there would still be a mix in the other point scoring positions.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 378):
I'm not of fan of ITV at all.

Me neither, Jim Rosenthal made my skin crawl

eirbus06

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 378):
Sorry I'm not of fan of ITV at all

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 379):
Me neither, Jim Rosenthal made my skin crawl

laughing 

What did you guy's think of murray walker?

VC-10

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Eirbus06 (Reply 380):
What did you guy's think of murray walker?

Brilliant - knowledgeable with a touch of eccentricity

bapilot2b

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Quite an interesting little news snippet:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/11008

Surely McLaren would have had a few spare overalls LOL or would that have been an even worse outcome?
Jason Nicholls - v1images

B747forever
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting BAPILOT2B (Reply 382):
Quite an interesting little news snippet:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/11008

Surely McLaren would have had a few spare overalls LOL or would that have been an even worse outcome?

He,he. What a amusing story, but something we should take seriously because I am sure some Massa fans would do something really bad against Glock and his team.

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 373):
Dear fellows,

I wanted to share this superb F1 2008 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0Ztfjuqv8

Enjoy !!!

FB.

Great video, thanks for posting it.

I miss F1 already. I cant wait until March till the lights turn green!!! So many days until we get to see another race....
Work Hard, Fly Right

GrahamHill

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 368):
This arrogance is so typical of the tifosi that they think the world is red and everyone else must agree or else.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark  I cannot agree more with that post!!

Quoting Cpd (Reply 376):
maybe even the "Tea-pot" Ligiers.

You mean the Renault RS01, don't you? The yellow teapot was its nickname. I don't remember any Ligiers nicknamed "teapot", but I may be wrong.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Stealthz

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 384):
You mean the Renault RS01, don't you? The yellow teapot was its nickname. I don't remember any Ligiers nicknamed "teapot"

The Ligier JS5 was nicknamed the teapot because it .... well it looked like----

Big version: Width: 400 Height: 210 File size: 28kb

The Renault RS01 was much more conventional looking despite it's revolutionary engine and if I recall was nicknamed the yellow teapot more because of it's regular habit of cooking off rather than it's appearance.

Cheers

GrahamHill

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 am

Cool, thanks for this precision, StealthZ!

It is true that the Renault was nicknamed (by the British) the "yellow teapot" because of its many mechanical failures.

B747forever
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Attention: Both Alonso and Piquet will drive for Renault next season too, and Alonso is signed up until 2010: http://www.f1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8652.html
Work Hard, Fly Right

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 387):
Attention: Both Alonso and Piquet will drive for Renault next season too, and Alonso is signed up until 2010: http://www.f1.com/news/headlines/200....html

excellent news for three reasons

1) the cry baby won't go to Ferrari  Wink
2) he's a good driver, and as proved towards the end of the season, he's going to be an interesting competitor for the big two
3) Piquet has another chance ... for some reason I think he deserves it, although he has been pretty crap this season

Gman94

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:23 pm

A guy who's kid drove Go Karts with Lewis Hamilton has won £125,000 from the bookies after spotting his potential and placing a bet on Hamilton to win the World Championship before he was 25. I bet he was sweating big time when Lewis was behind Glock. I'm off to the local Go Kart track to spot the next big thing.  Big grin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7705686.stm

VC-10

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 385):
The Renault RS01 was much more conventional looking despite it's revolutionary engine and if I recall was nicknamed the yellow teapot more because of it's regular habit of cooking off rather than it's appearance.

That is a new one on me - and I was heavily into F1 at that time

codeshare

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 pm

About F1 designs remember the McLaren additional tail behind the driver ?? That was weird.

How about a new topic summing up the whole season with everybody's Top 3 or 5 races, cars, moves, drivers, setbacks etc ???

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

B747forever
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 388):
3) Piquet has another chance ... for some reason I think he deserves it, although he has been pretty crap this season

Well even though he drove as crapp for the majority of this season I think that he has improved the last few races. Hope he will do better next season
Work Hard, Fly Right

Stealthz

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am

Hi all,

Been some interesting things happening over the last couple of days at Place de la Concorde, revised calendar, new stewarding guidelines etc

Is it too soon to start an "official" F1 off season thread?

Cheers

B747forever
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 393):
Been some interesting things happening over the last couple of days at Place de la Concorde, revised calendar,

And here is the new calendar: http://www.f1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8650.html

Interesting to see that China will hold its GP as early as in April. Anyone knows what the weather is usually in April in China??
Work Hard, Fly Right

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 393):
Is it too soon to start an "official" F1 off season thread?

I think we can wait till at least the end of the week...

I'm kinda bored without F1 now...What will I do for the next 3 months!

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 395):
What will I do for the next 3 months!

You can watch A1 GP

The Andros trophee in France (very nice indeed)

The Dakar rally (that will take place in South America) in January

The 24 hours of Daytona in January

The 12 hours of Sebring in March

and probably more  Wink

Stealthz

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Now Luca is grumbling about points and wants the points system changed.

Would he be making the same complaint if Lewis had finished 6th last Sunday?

Losers can be so whiny sometimes.

B747forever
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 397):
Now Luca is grumbling about points and wants the points system changed.

Changed to what. More points to the winner??

BTW engines must last 3races next seaons http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8651.html

Anyone think we will see more engine failures??
Work Hard, Fly Right

Stealthz

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:16 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 398):
Changed to what. More points to the winner??

Yep, but I guess if his drivers(and cars) showed more consistancy and lost the series to some one with more wins but fewer top finishes he would argue the other way.