Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

gkirk
Topic Author

Ban American Football!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 am

In all honesty, I tried to watch that game that was played in London yesterday, but it has done nothing other than to reinforce my belief that American football is the most boring game EVER. And as for the padding, the players are definitely a bunch of pansies.
Can they not keep this game locked up in the US so it doesn't bore everyone outside of the US to death? And whats with the crazy names? New Orleans Chargers  duck  and San Diego Saints  duck ? Whats with that?  stirthepot 
Why does the game need to be stopped for 2 minutes after about 10 seconds of playing?

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Discuss  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

nighthawk

RE: Ban American Football!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 am

Couldnt agree more! Its nothing more than a bunch of pansies dressed in padding who need to stop for a rest every 5 minutes. Thats not a mans game.

Rugby (union) however, is a true mans game requiring true strength.

IH8BY

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:38 am

Go watch some rugby as therapy. I watched a bit when I was last in the States, and was surprised - I expected it to be more entertaining than it was. I suspect you'd need to watch it a fair bit to get into it.

Next time I'll actually watch it with Americans.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

AA7295

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:55 am

Are you serious?!?! Give me American football anyday over that hideous sport your country created call Cricket. It would have to be THE most boring sport ever!

davehammer

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 am

Cant stand American Football it bores me senseless. Fair play to those that do though but I'd much rather watch pretty much any other sport than that.

Elite

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 am

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 3):
Are you serious?!?! Give me American football anyday over that hideous sport your country created call Cricket. It would have to be THE most boring sport ever!

Agreed 100%.... cricket? Are you serious?!

As for American Football, hey, it's fun and exciting once you watch it. And you have no idea how ridiculously injured people get when they play with less / no padding.

solnabo

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 am

Agree with you on American football 100 %, but cricket is not a sport, it´s something from hell. Must be from the colonial time when Britain "rule the waves" and had their nice cup of cha watching this dreadful so called entertaining...

//Mike   

[Edited 2008-10-27 03:28:26]
Airbus SAS - Love them both

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:34 am

The Uniform looks great,but guess without protection sport like Rugby would be more Brave  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jush

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:35 am

Well actually almost every American sport is boring as hell.
Sidenote... Cricket is really the most boring sport ever - Sidenote over -

Anyway think about Baseball, American Football, Lacrosse, Nascar, Indy Car, all boring as hell. Maybe all fun to play but watching it is ... *yawn*

Maybe it's just an excuse for Americans to meet up and booze as they are not allowed to drink publicly and under 21. So I'll guess they invented all these "sports" to just sit down and booze.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

AA7295

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 8):
Well actually almost every American sport is boring as hell.
Sidenote... Cricket is really the most boring sport ever - Sidenote over -

Anyway think about Baseball, American Football, Lacrosse, Nascar, Indy Car, all boring as hell. Maybe all fun to play but watching it is ... *yawn*

Maybe it's just an excuse for Americans to meet up and booze as they are not allowed to drink publicly and under 21. So I'll guess they invented all these "sports" to just sit down and booze.

Regds
jush

What even Volleyball? I think Volleyball is one of the most amazing sports to watch. I was trapped to the TV for the USA VS Brazil game during the last day of the Olympics!

jush

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:47 am

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 9):

What even Volleyball? I think Volleyball is one of the most amazing sports to watch. I was trapped to the TV for the USA VS Brazil game during the last day of the Olympics!

I didn't even say Volleyball. I agree with you Volleyball is quite interesting especially the "beach" version. I like both types of the game.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Dreadnought

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
Couldnt agree more! Its nothing more than a bunch of pansies dressed in padding who need to stop for a rest every 5 minutes. Thats not a mans game.

American Football is a highly technical, tactical and strategic sport where organization and teamwork are everything. If you don't understand the rules (which are among the most complex in sports), I can understand people just not getting it at all.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

johnboy

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:30 am

I know this thread is about American football, but may I add that "rest-of-the-world" football (aka soccer) is about the most horribly boring sport on the face of the earth.

ok, perhaps cricket trumps it in that regard...but my god...if the players' shorts didn't get pulled down every once in awhile, what's the purpose of the game?

af773atmsp

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 am

American Football is really boring. I like European football (soccer). Although a lot of players seem to cry and lie on the ground for 10 minutes when they just got tripped.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

solnabo

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 12):
ok, perhaps cricket trumps it in that regard...but my god...if the players' shorts didn't get pulled down every once in awhile, what's the purpose of the game?

rotfl  Gold!
Airbus SAS - Love them both

EISHN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Try Irish domestic games for entertainment. Nothing like a Hurling Senior Final in Croker! Not to mention Rugby, fantastic game.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

planesarecool

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:29 pm

I've been to an American Football game in the States, and watched about 10 minutes of yesterdays game. It's not that bad, but I do prefer other sports - such as extreme ironing or watching paint dry.

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
Why does the game need to be stopped for 2 minutes after about 10 seconds of playing?

So the spectators can go and get another hot dog.

eicvd

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:29 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 15):
Try Irish domestic games for entertainment. Nothing like a Hurling Senior Final in Croker!

Couldnt agree more, now if only a certain team got to the football final next year for the first time in 14 years  pray 

I know this thread is about American football, but may I add that "rest-of-the-world" football (aka soccer) is about the most horribly boring sport on the face of the earth.

But play dont stop every 10 seconds for a tv ad-break.

Quoting Jush (Reply 8):

Well they are all American sports so is it any wonder they're boring?  Wink
COYBIB

Aaron747

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
And you have no idea how ridiculously injured people get when they play with less / no padding.

Have you ever seen Aussie rules football??

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 11):
American Football is a highly technical, tactical and strategic sport where organization and teamwork are everything.

I used to feel that way - until I started watching rugby.

If you don't understand the rules

For complex rules, we already have baseball.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JakeOrion

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:41 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 2):
Next time I'll actually watch it with Americans.

THIS is where the real fun in watching American football is at. Watching a game with your buddies, drinking beer, have a good time watching guys/girls get hyped about a touchdown or extremely pissed off when things don't go their team's way is what makes American football truly fun.

And if you guys don't like it, change the channel. Honestly I don't even know why the NFL continues to "export" one or two games out of the country every season now. Even the NFL commissioner was talking about the Superbowl being out of the states (that I extremely disagree with.)
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

nighthawk

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 19):
Watching a game with your buddies, drinking beer, have a good time watching guys/girls get hyped about a touchdown or extremely pissed off when things don't go their team's way is what makes American football truly fun.

the same applies for any sport, and is hardly an argument for why American Football is so great...

David L

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't know why people keep wasting their breath moaning about cricket in threads like these.  Smile

Cricket is a completely different concept. It was never meant to be one or two hours of non-stop excitement. It's supposed to be a day (or days) out in the sunshine (well, that was the theory) where you can chat to your mates all day and bring a book or a radio while keeping one eye on the game. It's supposed to be much more leisurely than football/soccer/hockey/rugby. Compare it with golf instead - I know which of those two I'd rather watch.

That's my main gripe. The razzmatazz and occasion may make it a good event to get involved in but, if you strip away the razzmatazz and the occasion and only consider the game itself, there just isn't enough there for me compared to soccer. I watched American Football for a whole year (one game per week) so that no-one could say I hadn't given it a chance and, though I did learn to "enjoy" it a bit more, my general opinion didn't change.

who need to stop for a rest every 5 minutes

checkmark  Though I suspect a 5 minute "play" would be a record.  Smile

JakeOrion

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 20):
the same applies for any sport, and is hardly an argument for why American Football is so great...

Then:

And if you guys don't like it, change the channel.

Also, I can say the same thing for Rugby when I don't know which team to root for or know nothing about it. Its all a matter of preference.

[Edited 2008-10-27 06:04:22]
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

andz

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 pm

American Football is a highly technical, tactical and strategic sport

Just like Formula 1 then. And we all know how "exciting" that has become.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

FriendlySkies

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm

If you don't like it, don't watch it...no need to whine about it.

David L

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 22):
I can say the same thing for Rugby when I don't know which team to root for

Ah, that's one of the differences I've noticed. Most soccer fans can watch a soccer match without having to root for one of the teams involved. We'll watch the Champions League and World Cup, etc, just to see top teams playing, not just so that we can "win" or "lose" ourselves. Obviously we prefer to watch the team we support but still...

baroque

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:14 pm

who need to stop for a rest every 5 minutes

And the same for any game with these built in interruptions, even ice hockey is irritating with the change from offense to defense.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 18):
Have you ever seen Aussie rules football??

Alas, no way of avoiding it, even with the remote handy!!

Quoting David L (Reply 21):
Cricket is a completely different concept. It was never meant to be one or two hours of non-stop excitement. It's supposed to be a day (or days) out in the sunshine (well, that was the theory) where you can chat to your mates all day and bring a book or a radio while keeping one eye on the game. It's supposed to be much more leisurely than football/soccer/hockey/rugby. Compare it with golf instead - I know which of those two I'd rather watch.

Perfect explanation David. Test cricket is not for anyone who needs instant thrills and is not patient enough to watch the end play build up over anything up to the full five days. The endless shifting of fields by comrade Warne, was a bit irritating, and alas, that has taken root. Somehow they do need to fix over rates. 12 an hour has been the norm out in India in this series.

DocLightning

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:17 pm

In all honesty, I tried to watch that game that was played in London yesterday, but it has done nothing other than to reinforce my belief that American football is the most boring game EVER.

Apparently he's never seen golf or baseball.  duck 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aviationmaster

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm

American Football is a highly technical, tactical and strategic sport where organization and teamwork are everything.

Yeah, everyone knows that American Football is the only technical, tactical and strategic team sport out there.  Wink

Watching a game with your buddies, drinking beer, have a good time watching guys/girls get hyped about a touchdown or extremely pissed off when things don't go their team's way is what makes American football truly fun.

checkmark  I agree, although this can be applied to most sports too.

ANITIX87

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 8):
Baseball, American Football, Lacrosse, Nascar, Indy Car, all boring as hell.

Baseball is incredibly technical. It's amazing when a pitcher is able to completely shut down an offense. Or when a team is able to hit the pitcher all over the park. Try hitting a 4" ball coming at you at 95 MPH from 60 feet away, that's moving in every direction and not having it snagged by a fielder. When two teams are both being offensively productive, or when both pitchers are dominating, that's when the sport gets good. And how can you say Lacrosse is boring? It's non-stop, end-to-end action with some incredibly skill and goals.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

planesarecool

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 29):
Baseball is incredibly technical. It's amazing when a pitcher is able to completely shut down an offense. Or when a team is able to hit the pitcher all over the park. Try hitting a 4" ball coming at you at 95 MPH from 60 feet away, that's moving in every direction and not having it snagged by a fielder. When two teams are both being offensively productive, or when both pitchers are dominating, that's when the sport gets good.

What a shame that America's only half decent sport was invented by the English. And you have the nerve to not invite us to play in the 'World Series'!?  Wink

ajd1992

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
As for American Football, hey, it's fun and exciting once you watch it. And you have no idea how ridiculously injured people get when they play with less / no padding.

Commonwealth countries know, as well as France.

It's called Rugby  Wink Not that I watch rugby but they don't wear padding, it's a proper mans sport.

I've watched a baseball game (Indy Indians against somebody i've forgotten. I was at Victory Field though, so the atmosphere was awesome) And it wasn't that boring. I've watched more boring things anyway  Silly

Revelation

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 pm

And as for the padding, the players are definitely a bunch of pansies.

Funny, what's that thing stuffed down the sock of those "manly" soccer players?

Can they not keep this game locked up in the US so it doesn't bore everyone outside of the US to death?

How "old european" of you, just ban things you don't like. That's OK, your ancestors are the ones who decided not to get the hell out of Europe when they had the chance!  Smile

To take a piss, to get another beer, and/or to pretend to listen to the wife for a few seconds before the game starts again, of course! God, do we have to explain everything to you?

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 3):

checkmark 

But to be fair, the only sport Kirkie's ancestors invented was the Caber Toss. This happened centuries before Freud came along and could explain to them that the caber is a phallic symbol!

At least the Finns and Estonians can be proud they invented wife carrying.

And the men kiss after scoring a goal - ye gods!

Not a chance of this catching on in the good ol' homophobic USA!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

QANTAS077

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:54 pm

thank god for Australian football.

EISHN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 31):
rugby

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 31):
it's a proper mans sport.

Hear, hear!

You sound like you work for an advertising agency  Wink

Quoting EICVD (Reply 17):
now if only a certain team got to the football final next year for the first time in 14 years

Sorry my friend, but Sam belongs to the "Kingdom" of Munster  box 

As for Rugby, go on MUNSTER!
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

David L

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 32):

And the men kiss after scoring a goal - ye gods!

Oh yeah, all the time...  no   Smile

Quoting Baroque (Reply 27):
Test cricket is not for anyone who needs instant thrills and is not patient enough to watch the end play build up over anything up to the full five days

Obviously my view would be different if all games were like that. As things are, cricket is a welcome alternative for me... but I don't watch it all that often.  Smile

flymia

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Steven Herzberg

American Football is a highly technical, tactical and strategic sport where organization and teamwork are everything. If you don't understand the rules (which are among the most complex in sports), I can understand people just not getting it at all.

Agreed 100%.

Quoting EICVD (Reply 17):
But play don’t stop every 10 seconds for a tv ad-break.

I played 4 years of football in High School and I would say I was a very athletic person in great shape I also played basketball and to have nonstop play would be impossible and than all the strategy of the game would be gone. We only had one game a week and after those games which were only 4 12minute quarters I was tired and in pain for the next 2-3days. It takes a lot of you mentally and physically. The hitting is very hard and I could not imagine playing with out the pads. And the game is about str and execution and I cant think of a game which is more about strategy and execution. I like rugby and I have even watched Australian football and it does not compare.

And to those that say Americans cant make any good sports I going to say Basketball is just about the best sport out there. I also think basketball has the best athletes in the world in the professional sports world.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Revelation

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 32):
But to be fair, the only sport Kirkie's ancestors invented was the Caber Toss. This happened centuries before Freud came along and could explain to them that the caber is a phallic symbol!

A picture says a thousand words...

David L

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 36):
I going to say Basketball is just about the best sport out there

But that's another apparent difference between what Americans want from a sport and what many others do. To me, and to many non-Americans, basketball is too repetitive. We'd rather have variety, spontaneity and unpredictability than see someone scoring every few seconds. I know some find it hard to understand but some of the most entertaining soccer matches have ended 0:0. Goals are not the only aspect of soccer that people want to see. For example, a good save can be appreciated just as much as a good goal.

Arrow

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 27):
And the same for any game with these built in interruptions, even ice hockey is irritating with the change from offense to defense.

OK, Baroque, we are in general agreement about most things, but you've crossed the line. It's called puck possession; if you have it, you're on offense, if you don't you're on defense. That transition from one to the other, often at warp speed, is what makes the game exciting to watch (well, when it's played well). End to end rushes with no whistles for offsides, etc., is the game at its best. I will grant that the current brand in the NHL doesn't achieve that level much, but it's better than it was five years ago.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 34):
thank god for Australian football.

Yes -- and thank God for Bill Bryson's brilliant dissection of Australian cricket in "In A Sunburned Country":

"After years of patient study (and with cricket there can be no other kind) I have decided that there is nothing wrong with the game that the introduction of golf carts wouldn't fix in a hurry. It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavors look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side effect. I don't wish to denigrate a sport that is enjoyed by millions, some of them awake and facing the right way, but it is an odd game. It is the only sport that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport that shares its name with an insect. It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as players -- more if they are moderately restless. It is the only competitive activity of any type, other than perhaps baking, in which you can dress in white from head to toe and be as clean at the end of the day as you were at the beginning."

But back to American football.. It's a better game with Canadian rules; much more fluid, more turnovers, and more passing. My beef about American football (and I covered it as a sports writer eons ago) is that any team that can consistently grind out at least 4 yards a carry can ignore all other aspects of the game. And some do exactly that, putting people to sleep in the process.

The other beef (and this is also true to some extent of baseball) is the level of specialization required for the players. Case in point: "Refrigerator" Perry was a grossly overweight monster who possessed very few skills, other than it was bloody hard to knock him over, or stop him. Give him the ball and ask him to run with it? Don't make me laugh.

Soccer, hockey, basketball, rugby -- and a host of other team sports -- they ALL have to be fit and capable of running (OK, skating). Even the goalies in soccer and hockey have to be fit and agile.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

StuckInCA

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:53 pm

No joke there. Soccer makes me want to take up needlepoint.

And as for the padding, the players are definitely a bunch of pansies.

I have several friends who played rugby at elite levels who would disagree with you. The hits in American football are more consistently violent than rugby. In rugby, you're more likely to have some meat-head grab your package and try to tear it off.

waterpolodan

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:58 pm

I love watching football and I love watching Formula 1, 2 sports that are very strategic and often slow to develop, but I can't stand baseball for the life of me, at least in football they take breaks because they're working their asses off, while in baseball they take breaks because they got a sunflower seed stuck in their eyelid and their family jewels can't stand another minute without an itch.

Revelation

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 38):
My beef about American football (and I covered it as a sports writer eons ago) is that any team that can consistently grind out at least 4 yards a carry can ignore all other aspects of the game. And some do exactly that, putting people to sleep in the process.

I can't think of any team doing that in the last decade or so. If the run gets too effective, defenses compensate to stop the run and/or the league changes rules to make it harder to run effectively. I can't say I follow every team, but my favorite team has been to the Super Bowl four times in the last 8 years, and has had a very average running game. They use the running game mainly to prevent the defense from keying in on the passing game, and perhaps to hold a lead and use up the clock late in the game.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 38):
The other beef (and this is also true to some extent of baseball) is the level of specialization required for the players. Case in point: "Refrigerator" Perry was a grossly overweight monster who possessed very few skills, other than it was bloody hard to knock him over, or stop him. Give him the ball and ask him to run with it? Don't make me laugh.

Maybe you come from a universe of perfectly interchangable human beings, but in my world, we are all very different and that leads to specialization. This is why football is such a great team sport: you need massive linemen, tall and speedy receivers, and pretty much everything in between, and you need to know how to match skill sets to positions.

Quoting David L (Reply 39):
But that's another apparent difference between what Americans want from a sport and what many others do. To me, and to many non-Americans, basketball is too repetitive. We'd rather have variety, spontaneity and unpredictability than see someone scoring every few seconds.

I'm not a fan of basketball, but at the pro level, I don't find they way players score is repetetive. You've got everything from the 3 point shot to the inside move, and it changes all the time.

I've watched hundreds of hours of soccer (World Cup, European Championships, Champions League, EPL) and find it enjoyable, but can see why it has a hard time catching on here in the US. While basketball is weighted too much towards the offense, soccer is weighted too much towards the defense. It seems all too often you see a brilliant sequence of steps build up towards making a goal, and it takes just one shove or one boot to derail the entire thing. It's like taking a women out for a movie and a dinner, and then getting a peck on the cheek as she slams the door in your face. Baseball suffers from the same thing, and that's why it's in decline here in the US.

I think soccer could benefit from the refs actually calling the rules as written, so the offense has a better chance of scoring.

ANITIX87

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 30):

What a shame that America's only half decent sport was invented by the English. And you have the nerve to not invite us to play in the 'World Series'!?

Rounders is not a sport. It's a girls' game, hahaha.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

casinterest

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 pm

with the crazy names? New Orleans Chargers and San Diego Saints ? Whats with that?

Switch the names about, and honestly with names like.... Manchester United, you have nothing to speak of here.

Honestly as a brit I would have thought you would enjoy and take advantage of the beer/piss breaks.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TSS

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 8):

You've got it exactly! Very, very few Americans can sit through an American football game alone and sober. By half-time they'll have gotten up and started cleaning out the garage or repainting the spare bedroom out of sheer boredom.  Wink

So it's been made boring through needless application of technicalities on purpose?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Arrow

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 42):
Maybe you come from a universe of perfectly interchangable human beings, but in my world, we are all very different and that leads to specialization. This is why football is such a great team sport: you need massive linemen, tall and speedy receivers, and pretty much everything in between, and you need to know how to match skill sets to positions.

That's not the point. In nearly all other team sports, all the players need to possess similar levels of fitness and possess similar skills. A defenceman in hockey has to be able to do the same things as a forward. In a pinch, you can ask Wayne Gretzky to play defence, and he''ll be able to do it.

Football has reached the point where there are two teams -- defense and offence -- and each of those teams has specialists whose only function is to block, tackle, or whatever. The rules even talk of eligible receivers, and people who the rules say can only carry the football if they pounce on a fumble or intercept a pass. That's why you can have beer-swilling 350 pound hulks passing themselves off as athletes.

Football would be a much more interesting game if the same guys had to do it all -- offence, defence, catch the ball, run with -- all of that -- and substitution rules were similar to soccer. No coach could then risk having on the field a slug who can't run more than ten feet without inducing a heart attack.

It would be much more like -- rugby. Then it would be an exciting game to watch.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

David L

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm not a fan of basketball, but at the pro level, I don't find they way players score is repetetive. You've got everything from the 3 point shot to the inside move, and it changes all the time.

But you still have a general sequence of one team playing the ball from one end to the other and scoring or missing followed by the other team doing the same and so on.

It seems all too often you see a brilliant sequence of steps build up towards making a goal, and it takes just one shove or one boot to derail the entire thing.

But it's not a case of one team going from one end to the other and scoring or missing ad infinitum. The "game" takes place in every area of the field. Tackling, passing, dribbling can be entertaining aspects of the game and possession can, and frequently does, change anywhere. Only supporters of the team losing possession find that irritating - neutrals (the majority of those watching on TV) and supporters of the team winning possession (obviously) don't.

I'm not saying the way basket ball pans out is "wrong" or that they way soccer pans out is "right". I'm just pointing out a general difference in what we want from sport and how it's one reason that the popularity of each differs between the USA and many places elsewhere.

FlyKev

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Firstly, I play the game myself currently - I am halfback for my university team.
Yes, that's right there are people in the UK who enjoy it, and play it for those of you people who don't think anyone besides Americans bother/care/enjoy it.

Secondly, I want to mention the padding.
It doesn't make you a "pansie" to wear padding - I speak from my current experience. A good example was on the first scrimmage of training this season I dislocated my arm because the shoulder pads I was wearing were not the right fit.
Trust me, you appreciate having as much padding as you can when you get jumped on by 3, 4 guys who are generally bigger than you - Try playing it full contact, full hits without the gear. You wouldn't want to.

One of the guys on my team also plays for the Universities Rugby team, and he says that American Football is a lot more violent, because unlike in Rugby, people have no restrictions when it comes to hitting people as they feel invincible with the padding on. This guy is 6ft 8 for the record, so not a small person either.
I am fine with people saying its boring but tbh, it really isn't once you understand the rules, and I find its really exciting and enjoyable to watch, as do pretty much all the people I've introduced the sport to, after explaining to them how it works.
Oh and I am yet to see any player rolling around on the floor in agony because they've "fake" tripped, or broken a finger nail like I am used to seeing in the most pathetic sport possible IMO - Soccer.

Kev. (ARU Phantoms #22)
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Gman94

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm a big NFL and was at Wembley last night and had a great time. Give me a game of American Football over a pathetic game of Soccer any day. I used to be a season ticket holder at my local team but I've become more and more disillusioned with soccer over the years and can barely stand to watch this farce of a sport any more. Give me a Rugby, NFL, NHL or Cricket game, yes I said cricket any day of the week.

Oh and GO BILLS!!!!  Big grin
British Airways - The Way To Fly