Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WunalaYann

RE: Ban American Football!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 96):
Every play is a wind sprint as opposed to the jogging that you see in soccer and rugby for much of the game

Having played rugby for ten years, I have no clear memory of much "jogging" involved. But I do have very striking and lungs-burning memories of constant sprints across the field. Comes with playing a fair bit of third row, I guess...

Smile

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 95):
AFL players are different again - much more running

checkmark  I'd be curious to see how much running a freak like Gary Ablett does in a game.

For that matter, it'd be interesting to see how many kilometres an umpire runs in a game.

Wink

RJdxer

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 85):
I have a better offer - they catch 80m kicks in full flight.

Kick return players routinely catch kicks of 80 yards and sometimes return them 100 yards for a score. As to the rugby hits, all well and good but in the NFL some of the linemen go upwards of 300 pounds. That is a lot of mass to get hit with.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 86):
They run three steps and still manages to break a sweat. Shocking to see.

I think you'd be surprised at just how quickly they can move. It'd be fun to see you try and run by them. We have a show here called Pro's versus Joe's and it's people like you that always end up getting the snot kicked out of them.

and then they have another two minute break.

Don't know what game you are watching but the play clock with few exceptions in between plays is 30 seconds.

planesarecool

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 93):
The hits in American football are much harder and at much higher speed.

The difference being that in American Football, once you get hit the game stops for a minute or so, giving you time to brush it off. In Rugby, you get tackled, there is a ruck, and then you're back on your feet to complete the play.

From what I've seen, a lot of American Football players simply wouldn't be fit enough to play 80 minutes of rugby.

Dougloid

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 93):
I just watched about an hour of videos comparing rugby/AFL against American football. The huge difference is in the hitting. The hits in American football are harder, faster, and occur with greater frequency. The players in rugby often 'pull up' before they hit, where no such thing happens in American football. Add in the fact that the players are bigger (and I'm not just talking linemen) and thus the need for padding.

And even with the pads and the helmets and the conditioning it's damned dangerous and painful when a wide receiver is stretched out to the max going for a pass and gets speared like Darryl Stingley did. If you're old enough, you might remember Deacon Jones or Jack Tatum and some of the licks they put on people or when Lawrence Taylor ended Joe Theismann's career.

It is hardly a game for girlymen or sumoboyz as some of you fellows have suggested. And part of watching football is for that one brilliant play. I went to a semi pro game one time, it was the Orange County Rhinos playing someone or other and late in the game, a wide receiver went deep downfield with coverage that was as close as stink on shit and at exactly the right moment leaped in the air, hauled the pass in with one hand, and dragged his toes just this side of the line-sheer grace and artistry.

When I was an undergrad at Cal State Long Beach, the U of Iowa used the practice field one year when they went to the Rose Bowl. As I was heading for my car, nose in a book, I heard this clattering noise and it was the sound of cleats crossing the asphalt walk from one field to another. It was the U of Iowa team. My first thought was "These are some seriously huge people."

They smelled terrible too, but that's another story. It was pretty warm out and they'd been working hard.

David L

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 pm

I don't disagree that the "hits" in American Football are harder but that isn't enough for a lot of the rest of us. We like the fact that in soccer you can take advantage of being tough or fast or can dribble past umpteen defenders or can pass with precision or can tackle the most skilful opponents or you're good in goal but lousy outfield or any combination of the above. The game isn't restricted to people who are tall or fast or built like tanks, although those can help, obviously. Subtlety and delicateness are as much part of soccer as speed and power.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 66):
It's also about the rivalries and the history, too. I watch every Giants game I can here because I've been following them since the days that 3 wins in a season made you say "Hey! We're on to something here!"

Ditto for soccer, though.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 71):
Dave I dont want to convert anyone , but just trying to give some insight into the game

Don't worry, I know you weren't trying to convert me. However, if I'd just said "great post" and left it at that, there might have been some who thought I'd suddenly "seen the light".  Smile

As I said, I watched it for a year and learned a lot about it. I listened to the guys in the studio explaining the rules and tactics and going over the moves from the game. As a result, I did gain some enjoyment from watching but there was still not enough variety for me to change my mind about preferring soccer.

That was many years ago, though, so don't expect me to be able to answer any questions about it now.  Smile

seb146

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
As for American Football, hey, it's fun and exciting once you watch it.

I have watched it several times. I grew up with a Cowboys loving father and Dolphins loving brother. Every Sunday after church, we had to watch that bloody sport. I did homework. I have never understood why we, as Americans, have to love our version of football.

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 6):
cricket is not a sport, it´s something from hell.

Add baseball. I saw a cricket match a few years ago during Canada Day. It was fun, because I had never seen a cricket match. After a few pitches, I left. It was as boring as baseball. Someone mentioned lacrosse as being boring. HA! That sport is fun to watch and play. Give me a lacrosse or soccer match any day.

But, I also think curling is fantastic and will go out of my way to watch a Canucks game

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:19 pm

But again, in spite of me NOT understanding anything about cricket, and not too much about American football, baseball and some other sports, IF ENOUGH PEOPLE enjoy either playing or watching ANY sort of sport, they should have the possibility to do so. And if a TV company feels that there are enough people willing to watch it, why should they not put it into the program ? And just think of culture. Opera and Techno are not exactly the same and the enthusiasts of the two sorts of culture a bit different, BUT both should have the chance to enjoy their pastime.

AGM100

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 102):
The difference being that in American Football, once you get hit the game stops for a minute or so, giving you time to brush it off.

Just to clear up the pause between plays ... American football is about setting up designed plays. There is a set of unique physical skills required for all of the positions and players must stay in what we call football shape. At practice we do alot of running , sprinting and challenging physical conditioning. Football shape is different than Rugby shape for sure. The Primary goal for us when getting our players in shape is what we call mental toughness. We need our players to be able to exert serious physical power and speed .. but at the same time keep a sharp mental edge. Basically you must be able to hit hard , run hard and get hit hard but still focus on what your job is. We must have our players in top shape to be able to start the game hitting hard and finish the game hitting hard.

Like the poster above said , Rugby has a flow to it. American football does not , it is more like a battle of tactics and overall strategy than a brawl.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 102):
, a lot of American Football players simply wouldn't be fit enough to play 80 minutes of rugby

I agree to some extent , especially Pro players ,but hell when you have 10 million bucks in the bank who cares ! . However I would say that most of our collegiat level players would be.

As far as the comments about all the padding we ware .... we prefer to call it weaponry. I tell my guys to get there weapons on !. Obviously we are against spearing , but the helmet is in fact a weapon ..especially for our down lineman. This year we had several broken helmets , and many many face masks broken right off. I always make those guys captains for the next game. Even with all the padding , there bodies are bruised terribly ..broken hands , broken noses we even had a broken leg this year.! Anyone who has played AF knows how violent it is.
Watching football on TV does not give you the perspective of how hard those hits are... believe me its a very violent game .

I love Rugby , but they just do not hit like AF. Rugby is a violent game ..but you just will never see a " Sloberknocker" in Rugby .

smcmac32msn

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
Why does the game need to be stopped for 2 minutes after about 10 seconds of playing?

Thats why we've got HOCKEY!

DocLightning

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:03 pm

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Discuss Wink

Kirkey, that kevlar/asbestos suit of yours is looking a bit ragged. Sure you wouldn't want to put on a new one before making a post like this?

GDB

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:58 pm

You tell 'em Kirkie!
Yes to proper football!
Yes to proper beer!
Accept no substitutes!

GrahamHill

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 15):
Nothing like a Hurling Senior Final in Croker

Agree. Hurling is one hell of a sport. I went to Croke Park to see a semi-final in 2005 and I was quite impressed.

On the other hand, Gaelic football is boring.

Quoting Andz (Reply 23):
Just like Formula 1 then. And we all know how "exciting" that has become.

Agree.

Quoting EISHN (Reply 33):
As for Rugby, go on MUNSTER!

Nah, go TOULOUSE !!  Wink

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 59):
IMHO the only good American spectator sport is basketball.

Agree. It's the only American sport that has been adopted in Europe and in some other countries like China.

Anyway, I just have a question: why is the American football called "football"? These guys play all the time with their hands!!

We have all the reasons to call our football this way since it is strickly forbidden to use the hands. So why you did not call it American rugby? Or American handball!

QXatFAT

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 pm

American Football is something I like to play but not really like to watch. The only reason why I really watch it is because of Fantasy Football. Fantasy leagues always add to the sport in way that makes it good. College football though, now that is enjoyable.

Cricket, I actually like this sport. I have played it now for 2 years and have enjoyed it. Watching it can get boaring at time but that goes for any sport. There is always a boaring time in every single sport. I do have a lot of respect for cricket players though. I have played baseball my whole life, Little League to High School to College to Mexican League back home. We use gloves when we catch a ball, they use their bare hands! Now that is crazy!

aaflt1871

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:36 pm

I love this sign, and I found it in of all places Munich Germany.

planesarecool

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 111):
Anyway, I just have a question: why is the American football called "football"? These guys play all the time with their hands!!

And why is it called a "touchdown" when they can't even be bothered to touch the ball down?

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 107):
but hell when you have 10 million bucks in the bank who cares ! .

When you have 10 million in the bank, who cares if you dive or roll around on the floor, as 'everyone' does in our football (apparently)?

This year we had several broken helmets , and many many face masks broken right off. I always make those guys captains for the next game. Even with all the padding , there bodies are bruised terribly ..broken hands , broken noses we even had a broken leg this year.! Anyone who has played AF knows how violent it is.
Watching football on TV does not give you the perspective of how hard those hits are... believe me its a very violent game .

Who cares? There's nowhere under the definition of 'sport' that says a game must be violent. If people are regularly breaking bones while playing, then it's either a ridiculous game, or they're not playing it properly. I played rugby for three years while at school and got no more than a few bruises.

If you want a violent sport then why not just watch boxing? Or heck, come to Crawley on a Friday night.

AGM100

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 114):
or they're not playing it properly.

In some respects you are correct about that. Alot of injuries happen when players do not perform a action correctly. A common injury for linemen is broken hands and legs. This usually happens when they do not set up properly for a block , in turn they get hit at a bad angle of get fallen on at a bad angle. I would say other than sprains or torn muscles the most common injury I have seen is too players hands. The hands are always getting caught between tacklers or getting stepped on in some way.

Didn't mean to be over zealous about the violence but some on here were implying that AF was somehow a weaker game.

What I like about AF is that it is a tough violent game , but still requires planning and practice , timing and study in order to excel. The surest way to get hurt is to be out of position or going the wrong direct on a play. I am sure the same can be said for Rugby , I am sure the best players are ones who hit you hard as well as use there knowledge to gain a competitive edge.

luckyone

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 69):
Cricket?

Maybe it should be added that you're hitting a round ball with a round bat? A cricket bat is flat is it not? Makes a world of difference.

Something might be cheaper, better, more efficient, more interesting or whatever but if it isn't American then people aren't interested.

Which explains why I see just as many Hondas, Toyotas, Nissians, BMW's and Mercedes as I do Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, and Cadillacs when I drive the streets?

Why are American cars so popular in the US and only the US?

For the same reason Alfa Romeo's are much more prevalent in Italy than most anywhere else.... they're local and made here.

Why are foreign TV shows so rarely shown other than on minority channels

This question has been answered many times. The US has a population so large and covers such a large area that can be, albeit mistakenly, identified as one culture that the entertainment business has some serious bucks and large catchment. The business here in the US is just so much larger than everywhere else that it just naturally spreads and is probably cheaper to pick up foreign programs than to make more locally given the population.

WunalaYann

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Nah, go TOULOUSE !! Wink

Oh yes baby!!! Another member of the Illuminati!!!  bigthumbsup  We all know that Florian Fritz is the best centre in the game. A mix of Sella and Charvet, no less.

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 108):
Thats why we've got HOCKEY!

Oh so true!! Denis Potvin, anyone? Scott Stevens? Jeff Beukeboom? Mike Grier? Dion Phaneuf? Chris Neil? Larry Robinson? That's what I'm talking about!!  bigthumbsup 

I love Rugby , but they just do not hit like AF.

No, we do not hit like in US football. Simply because tackling (at least in union) is much more strictly coded. You cannot actually "bodycheck" the ball carrier. You have to wrap your arms around him and make him fall. Of course, it all happens below shoulder height. I personally think we should lower it to hip height as those "blocking tackles" are killing the flow of the game.

But I posted a couple of links to some serious hitting, you may want to have a peekie.

Wink

jfk69

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 117):
Oh so true!! Denis Potvin, anyone?

Good ol' number 5 and the reason why I am an Isles season txx holder.

Dougloid

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Agree. Hurling is one hell of a sport. I went to Croke Park to see a semi-final in 2005 and I was quite impressed.

I've hurled and I didn't like it when the tuna casserole came out my nose.

laughing   laughing   laughing 

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 114):
nd why is it called a "touchdown" when they can't even be bothered to touch the ball down?

Why is it called a scrum? What the fock is that?

Perhaps it is a contraction of "screw 'em!" which may be happening in the middle of the ....ahem....scrum when some fellow's trousers get tossed out. I'd hate like hell to see rugby played in kilts.

Rum, buggery and the lash, y'know?

Good morning!

Wink  Wink

smcmac32msn

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 118):
Good ol' number 5 and the reason why I am an Isles season txx holder.

I wish I lived closer to an NHL city but I'll take my AHL (Milwaukee) and 2006 NCAA Champion Wisconsin Badgers any day.

WunalaYann

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 119):
Why is it called a scrum?

Why is it called a huddle?

Smile

Now as for sports uniforms, those tight NFL pants...  eyebrow  Same goes for baseball, by the way.

Give my cricket and rugby uniforms any day of the week!!  biggrin 

luckyone

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 119):
I'd hate like hell to see rugby played in kilts.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

gulfstream650

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:05 pm

If American Football and Baseball were as great as the American's say it is then everyone in the world would be playing it. Like they do Football (Soccer) and Cricket.

Case closed.

eicvd

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting Gulfstream650 (Reply 123):
and Cricket

Lets be honest here, the whole world does not play cricket, only them British commonwealth countries do.

Blackbird

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 pm

I actually played on the (American) football team in HS (First girl to do so on my HS team). Football isn't entirely an easy sport as it's a rather complex game in terms of strategic/tactical moves required in it. Although, truthfully speaking, if we had Rugby in the US, I probably would have tried to have got myself on that team instead of football as it is a tougher, more aggressive sport than football.

Football wasn't the only sport I knew how to play... I know how to play basketball, soccer, volleyball, and hockey... it was however the only sport I played on a school-team.

Blackbird

NASCARAirforce

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:34 am

American football is boring, but rest of the world football (soccer) is even worse, bunch of sissies in shorts

kalakaua

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:01 am

...as if Scottish golf is any better?

kalakaua

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:05 am

If American Football and Baseball were as great as the American's say it is then everyone in the world would be playing it. Like they do Football (Soccer) and Cricket.

Case closed.

I don't give a crap. America is fricken odd, but that's what makes US #1. Yeah, beeyotch! Haha.

EA CO AS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 am

American football is the most boring game EVER.

Omit "American" and you'd be spot-on. Football/Soccer is the most boring game ever - or at very least, the one in most dire need of a shot clock!

gkirk
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:26 am

Damn, didn't realise this thread would be so popular  Wink

exFATboy

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 pm

First off, a correction...there is no such game as "ice hockey". There is "hockey", the greatest spectator sport on earth, and which is played on ice, and then there is "field hockey", and its bastard mutant cousin, lacrosse, which are played on grass, dirt, or other non-icelike surfaces.  

Case closed.

(gavel sound)
Case reopened for introduction of additional evidence.

Baseball is played in just as many places in the world as cricket, if not more, and if not for cricket's popularity in India would be played by more people.

It's far and away the most popular professional sport in Japan, is extremely popular in many Asian countries, particularly Taiwan and South Korea, and is growing rapidly in China. It's the most popular sport in much of the Caribbean - look at the number of Dominicans playing in the US pro ranks -and is very popular in much of Latin America as well. Cricket, on the other hand, is not widely played outside countries that weren't once part of the British Empire, and isn't that popular even in some of those that were (for example, Canada.) I'd also point out that the New York Yankees are the second most recognized sports franchise in the world.

A lot of baseball's appeal lies in that it is the only major team spectator sport (along with cricket) which is not tied to a clock. Each individual game has its own unique rhythm. Also, at the professional level in the US, it's also unique in that every ballpark is different - while the infield is standardized, the outfield walls vary widely from park to park, calling for different fielding and batting strategies.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 51):
It's only 'not caught on' in America, where most people have the attention span of a house fly. It's not the world's most popular sport for nothing.

Actually, I'd submit it's the world's most popular sport because it requires extremely little equipment - a ball, a flat surface, and goals - and thus can be played just about anywhere, by both the poor and the wealthy. That egalitarianism is part of soccer's appeal.

Soccer has "caught on" in the US, as a participation sport for children and students - it's just as popular as baseball and basketball these days. It just hasn't caught on as a spectator sport, mainly because it's crashingly dull, and particularly so on TV. Not as dull as cricket, which is in a dullness league unmatched by any team sport and challenged only by professional bowling or pool, but while there's lots of action, it just seems so...pointless.

Most of all, it just doesn't translate to television well - there's nowhere to put the commercials, and there's no breaks to fill with commentary and gratuitous shots of cheerleaders' cleavage, which I greatly enjoy, thank you very much. If you go take a pee you run the risk of missing the only goal of the whole damn game.

And there are other parts of the world where soccer is not that popular as a spectator sport, especially on TV. It's even less popular in Canada than it is in the US, it's not that popular in Australia, and I've never heard of it being that big in India, just to name a few. And yet no one rags on the Canucks or the Aussies for not watching soccer.

The diving, pretend injuries etc get on my nerves.

Agreed! During the last World Cup, I heard a few co-workers comment to the effect of "why are they so unsportsmanlike? Why don't they have a delay of game penalty for that?" Players clutching their legs like they're in agony when they were barely grazed, or not even touched at all, just seems so childish. It's quite the turn-off to American and Canadian viewers, who are used to seeing hockey players led off the ice bleeding and playing again 5 minutes later after being stitched up in the locker room.

Why are American cars so popular in the US and only the US? Why are foreign TV shows so rarely shown other than on minority channels and on a similar note why are shows remade in the US (The Office, Teachers, Kath & Kim etc)

Well, on cars that's not entirely true - many US cars are quite popular in Latin America. For example, Ford sells the American Fusion in most of Latin America instead of the European Mondeo because they found that consumers there preferred the US car. Also, most of it simply comes down to different driving conditions and needs - most of our driving in the US is done on wide city streets or freeways, we tend to drive longer distances, and we Americans like to haul a lot of crap around with us, so we like larger cars with softer suspensions. We simply don't have a lot of twisty 2-lane mountain roads that call for what even we think of as "European" handling, or villages and cities with very narrow streets. (I was in Bath a couple of years ago in a Vauxhall Zafira - which is not at all large by American standards - and felt like I was trying to maneuver the Battlestar Galactica.) Even Jeremy Clarkson has admitted that many American cars he wouldn't touch on a bet in the UK or Europe, like the Ford Mustang, can be great fun to drive...in America, on American roads.

Also, because outside of a few major metropolitan areas with extensive mass transit, virtually every American needs a car to commute in, a lot of of our cars are built to a lower price point at any given size, with a resulting lower standard of fit and finish that just doesn't sell in Europe. (Richard Hammond once said of an American dashboard, "last time I saw plastic like that it had Tic-Tacs in it" And yes, I am a "Top Gear" addict, why do you ask? If we don't get the last series over here soon, I may be forced to go moon the offices of BBC America.)

As you go up the economic ladder, when you get to that point where some Americans demand a car with European handling and performance, well, we just buy European. Why re-invent the wheel? (sorry, bad pun...)

What is interesting is our car makers' (and this is true, to some extent, of European car makers as well) inability to build a true "world car", a car in any given size/appointment category that appeals everywhere, requiring at most slight retuning of the suspension, additional emissions equipment, or different bumpers. This is why Toyota is now the world's leading car maker - while they don't sell every model they make everywhere, they rarely have a model they only sell in one market. (I think some of their SUVs are only marketed in the Americas.) Ford's come close a couple of times with the Focus.

As for TV, I have to agree a lot of it is just the insularity of the American TV networks and consumers...while the sheer size of our entertainment industry has forced the rest of the world (and particularly other Anglophone countries) to get used to our output, it only flows one way.

Some of it is just that Americans would flounder at some of the vocabulary (particularly slang) in British or Australian TV shows. I've gotten a friend addicted to "Top Gear", and even there I have to "translate" on occasion...and every once in a while get hit with something I have go look up on the Internet. And that's just on a "poky motoring show." I've seen a couple of episodes of Kath & Kim and frankly couldn't understand parts of it, and I've been to Australia. There are also cultural differences - Americans like their soap operas about rich people, or about relatively poor people relating to rich people {e.g. The O.C.) Coronation Street just wouldn't fly over here.

(EDIT - I may be getting "Coronation Street" and "Eastenders" mixed up here?

But I don't think that's the main reason for it. For some reason I don't understand, the US television industry has it in its head that people will not cope with accents or situations set outside the US, even though we flock to movies with British stars and buy British rock stars' CDs by the ton. Of course, this may be why BBC America is one of the fastest growing cable networks in the US.

I think a lot of it is also just laziness - it's easier to go find formats elsewhere and remake them than coming up with something new. To some extent, this has always happened - even an American institution like 60 Minutes was based on an import, the CBC show This Hour Has Seven Days. But it's happening more lately.

And that is one of the great mysteries of the universe, right up there with the appeal of Paris Hilton (girl's face is just not that hot, folks) or most American sitcoms.

[Edited 2008-11-02 08:07:52]

DCrawley

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 pm

I enjoy American football, but will never play full contact again! After a concussion (with a helmet on) and torn rotator cuff, I decided that life would probably be more enjoyable if I just watched the sport.

the thing is that all those fat people in the middle cant play for more than ten seconds. They are as much athletes as dart players. They run three steps and still manages to break a sweat. Shocking to see.

Since you are so ill-informed, I will tell you that those "fat" people in the middle are a helluva group of athletes, especially for their size. Their strength and quickness are incredible to watch in person. Also, I'm going to raise the BS flag    on them running for three steps and breaking a sweat. These guys work hard as hell and it takes a good workout to get them sweating. A different breed of athletes they may be, but athletes nonetheless.

Back in 2001, 6'3" 326lbs. (now retired) offensive linemen Larry Allen of the Dallas Cowboys bench pressed 700 lbs.

Still not an athlete?

[Edited 2008-11-02 15:25:54]

exFATboy

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:53 am

And whats with the crazy names? New Orleans Chargers and San Diego Saints? Whats with that?

We're just good at names, I guess! We just like names that come from local culture, for example, the San Francisco 49ers from the "49ers", the men who flocked to SF for the Gold Rush of 1849, or the Minnesota Vikings - large numbers of Scandinavian settlers plumped for Minnesota when they emigrated to the United States, apparently not realizing that there were actually warmer, nicer alternatives. The New Orleans Saints name comes from the jazz staple "When the Saints Go Marching In".

It's in all our sports - The Utah Jazz of the NBA, possibly the worst-named sports team on the planet, were the New Orleans Jazz. The LA Lakers were the Minnesota Lakers, from "The Land Of A Thousand Lakes." (The NBA has a tradition of teams not changing names when they move, apparently.) The Tampa Bay Lightning comes from Tampa's weather - Tampa is widely recognized as the "Lightning Capital of North America." (And everything in Tampa Bay has to be named "Tampa Bay", lest the inhabitants of God's Waiting Room, also known as Pinellas County, stamp their osteoporosis-ridden feet and hurt themselves. At least Tampa doesn't call its teams "Florida" like the arrogant folks down in Miami & Ft. Lauderdale.) Fortunately, NHL teams do change name when they move, sparing us the "Denver Nordiques" or the "Carolina Whalers."

Sure beats "(fill in the blank) United" or "(name of city here) F.C.", eh?  stirthepot 

WunalaYann

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 133):
Fortunately, NHL teams do change name when they move,

The problem is that they move in the first place. To those grass-roots hockey markets like Florida, Arizona, Carolina...  mad 

Oh well.

And whats with the crazy names? New Orleans Chargers duck and San Diego Saints duck ?

Eh, Glasgow Rangers, anyone?  rotfl  A crappy name for a shitty team and worse supporters. Fits, I guess.  Wink

exFATboy

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 134):
The problem is that they move in the first place. To those grass-roots hockey markets like Florida, Arizona, Carolina...

Just financial reality - NHL teams are fare more dependent on their gate revenue and local advertising (dasher boards, etc.) than the other big US sports, which have far more lucrative TV contracts. And as cities like Hartford and Winnipeg either lose population (Hartford's population shrunk by 11% in the 1990s) or for other reasons can't or don't support a team, they have no choice but to move.

And with so many people moving from the Northeast and Midwest to the South and West, there is demand in the new markets for teams - it's not just retirees moving, but entire industries.

And sometimes it's just local politics, timing, and such, like the North Stars move to Dallas. Minnesota got an expansion team and supports it, despite the crappy name.

The NHL has tried to satisfy demand in the growing western and southern markets with expansion teams - Tampa Bay, Florida Panthers, Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, and Atlanta Thrashers were all expansion teams. But given the NHL's finances and the risk of watering down the talent pool with rampant expansion, there have still been cases where a move happened.

[Edited 2008-11-02 18:18:32]