Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FruteBrute

RE: U.S. Election - Obama Wins

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Republicans listen up! You are out of power for a reason. You screwed up ROYALLY. You let the xtian whack jobs, and a President run wild with power, spending, and a military. Shame on you! You have been voted out of power, OVERWHELMINGLY!

Now suck it up, deal with it, and move on. Most importantly go fight for your party to get it back to what it should stand for. Smaller, less intrusive government but yet one that treats America's natural resources as preciously as we should. You need to find a new set of leaders. Leaders like Teddy Roosevelt or even Barry Goldwater. It's time to look to new blood to run your party. People like Gov. Jindal of LA. You haven't had a black candidate elected to Rep. national office for what, 12 years? Your party is a party of old white people. Today this country is 1/3 non-white people. By 2050, white people will no longer be a majority, but only represent 46% of the population with 54% being non-white.

I voted for all Democrats this election. If they don't turn this country around I will vote to throw all of them out in 4 more years. Give me an alternative Republicans. If you run another campaign like the way you ran this one, and the last 2 you will be on the verge of total extinction next election.

Yes taxes will go up. They HAVE TO. Why? Because you bankrupted us, that's why. There is no choice. You Republicans have doubled the national debt in the past 8 years. You were reckless. Now there will be a snap back. A reaction. But you governed without concern for that and steamrolled anyone and everyone that stood in your way. Own up to your responsibility for doing a shitty job, admit it, and learn from it.

You have a choice now too. Your party can be obstructionists or work with Democrats to get some healthy legislation and compromise. Remember, you have 19 seats up in the Senate to defend next election, the Democrats only have 15, and you have 2 Senators already retiring. If you become obstructionists only you will likely lose yet another 5 to 10 seats next time, in 2010.

Your choice. Obama and the Democrats are now in charge. Deal with it!

OA260

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 250):
Republicans listen up! You are out of power for a reason. You screwed up ROYALLY. You let the xtian whack jobs, and a President run wild with power, spending, and a military. Shame on you! You have been voted out of power, OVERWHELMINGLY!

Very true.

I voted for all Democrats this election. If they don't turn this country around I will vote to throw all of them out in 4 more years.

Exactly. Alot of it is that some hard core Republicans cant stand that there is a Black president at the White House. They need to get over it . The more and more I see the news footage of Obama and his wife and kids the more that I think ''brand USA'' is going to be attractive to the world.

BW424

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:58 pm

CONGRATS TO BARACK OBAMA.

I think with just his appointmant as President,that the US has gained some points worldwide in trems of its popularity.

Springbok747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Congrats to Obama, and kudos to McCain for being such a gentleman. Many people here in Georgia are disappointed with the outcome...saw several cars with upside-down flags. It'll be interesting to see what 'changes' happen over the next four years.

OA260

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:04 pm

All hotels in Washington and surrounding areas have been booked out for the inauguration of Obama.

RIHNOSAUR

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:23 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!

My wife and I just had our first son, born 6 months ago, in the U.S. ....watching and listening Obama's victory speech last night invoked quite a bit of emotion and thought about my son's future......it made me feel that I was witnessing a moment equivalent to when Dr. King stood in front of the Lincoln memorial and provided hope to thousands there and millions more through out history.

I am certain that 18 years from now, my son will read about this moment in his history book, and make electoral decisions based on an entirely new paradigm .......and hopefully I can pass on to him from a first hand experience what it was like to enter a new era in justice and equality.

cheers....

Congratulations

Go Obama!!

N867DA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 253):
Many people here in Georgia are disappointed with the outcome...saw several cars with upside-down flags.

I saw that too. Disgusting reaction.

AircraftGeek

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 243):
He's not my president and I'll never give him the respect that the title of the office deserves, he doesn't deserve it.

Quite shameful sentence. You shall respect YOUR OWN fellow countrymen who elected YOUR OWN president.   

[Edited 2008-11-05 11:34:11]

Danny

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Congratulations to all Americans! I am really happy for your "liberation day" guys  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

A332

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:47 pm

Quoting Flymia (Reply 117):
People who are making $250,000 are still struggling and this is only going to hurt.

Oh man... if people making $250K are 'struggling'... then they made some real poor choices in life. How about those who make $25K a year trying to support a family... do you think everything is hunky-dory for them?

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 189):
I disagree with your last sentence. That pretty much echoes Bush's "You're with us or against us" philosophy. I don't agree with Obama's policies at all, but that doesn't mean I don't support him.

The sentiment of the majority is clear... times are a changing. Get on the bus.

He's not my president and I'll never give him the respect that the title of the office deserves, he doesn't deserve it.

That's the wonderful part about America... you can have the most vile opinion and make the most vile statements, and that's your right!

DocLightning

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Then grow a pair and do what I was going to do if McCain won:

Move and start working on renouncing my U.S. citizenship. I'm glad I don't have to do that now.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I voted for all Democrats this election. If they don't turn this country around I will vote to throw all of them out in 4 more years.

Woah woah woah. The country's in deep trouble. Like DEEP trouble. Like Obama may not be able to save it. It might go bankrupt yet; it might completely collapse yet.

So if you think that Obama and the DNC can turn this completely around in 4 years, you have another thing coming. Just look for signs of progress. We're not going to be back in 1998 within 4 years.

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:09 pm

You wish sir. He is YOUR president because YOUR citizens decided so, so if you really believe in Democracy and what the US claims to stand for and goes to war for, you have to find ways in helping your country and therefore YOUR President.

If your party would have done anything right the past 8 years, you'd possibly be cheering McCain as president-elect, but they didn't and you have to live with it

Or you can move abroad for at least 4 years

767Lover

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 225):
The country is so big and partly emty that literally thousands of solar and wind energy powerplants could be built.

Nope. First, electricity needs to be used relatively close to the source. Most of the US population doesn't live near the big empty spaces. Second, our energy needs/policy demands that we have redundancies in case the primary generating system goes down. Which means there would need to be alternative plants built that run on more reliable sources than wind and solar. Third, permitting for new generation takes years because of NIMBYs (who also have a problem with things like wind turbines spoiling their view. Etc. etc.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 260):

Move and start working on renouncing my U.S. citizenship. I'm glad I don't have to do that now.

Yet you seem perfectly content to reside in a state that put Prop 8 on the ballot and voted it in. Whatever.

Arrow

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 216):
Al Qaida has to be very happy today. Unless they got the invite from Obama to "talk".

On the contrary, they are very disappointed today.

George W. Bush was the best thing to happen to Al Qaeda since sliced bread. Their recruiting drives, which were struggling before 9/11, have been spectacularly successful since Dubya embarked on his regime change policy. We haven't yet seen the payback on that yet unfortunately, and maybe with Obama it can be avoided.

But Bin Laden, assuming he's still alive, is not a happy camper now.

RJdxer

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm

You screwed up ROYALLY

Thank goodness we didn't have the audacity to promise what we won't now be able to deliver. As a matter of fact the first thing President Elect did was to start back tracking. "We may not get there in 4 years". I certainly didn't hear him say that on the campaign trail. All I heard was the constant drumbeat of "Change".

Yes taxes will go up. They HAVE TO. Why? Because you bankrupted us, that's why. There is no choice.

Yes, we would never want to look at cutting the budget prior to raising taxes.

But you governed without concern for that and steamrolled anyone and everyone that stood in your way.

I'll remind you that in this last round the Democratic leadership had the majority in the House to pass the bailout bill and still couldn't get it done, hell didn't want to get it done without some GOP cover votes to point too when it doesn't work.

Your choice. Obama and the Democrats are now in charge. Deal with it!

The best way to deal with it is to sit back and let it burn. Offer some token resisitance, point out in debate why these are bad plans, and then vote "present". Anyone who votes for them on the GOP side should lose the support of the party. The Democratic majority doesn't need GOP votes to pass anything. Let them pass what they will and when it becomes apparent it isn't working and is going to cost a whole lot more than promised, the GOP leadership can rightly say "we told you so". When you look at the marriage amendment proposals in the various states and how they all passed it becomes apparent that it is not conservatism that the people don't like.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 261):
Woah woah woah. The country's in deep trouble. Like DEEP trouble. Like Obama may not be able to save it. It might go bankrupt yet; it might completely collapse yet.

As I said at the top, the back tracking begins.

So if you think that Obama and the DNC can turn this completely around in 4 years, you have another thing coming. Just look for signs of progress. We're not going to be back in 1998 within 4 years

I would remind you that in 1998 we had had 4 years of GOP control of the Congress and were achieving theoretical balanced budgets. Welfare reform had passed rolling back a large and costly entitlement program, Hillary care had gone down in flames so much so that the Democratic leadership in control at the time wouldn't even bring it up for a vote.

What will either be his saving grace for the cover they provide, or his ultimate downfall because they force him to play ball by their rules will be the idealouges in the Congress. Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Murtha may be more important than the President.

I have to admit I was disappointed this morning when I woke up and there wasn't a rebate check overnighted to me from the Obama administration.  sarcastic 

StuckInCA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 266):
the first thing President Elect did was to start back tracking. "We may not get there in 4 years". I certainly didn't hear him say that on the campaign trail. All I heard was the constant drumbeat of "Change".

You weren't listening. He's outlined that it will be a long road for quite some time.

From his "Closing Argument:"

It won't be easy, Ohio. It won't be easy; it won't be quick. But you and I know that it is time to come together and change this country.

RJdxer

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 267):
It won't be easy, Ohio. It won't be easy; it won't be quick. But you and I know that it is time to come together and change this country.

No time frame referenced there unless you knew what his definition of "quick" was. Not until he had secured the election did we here "We may not get there in 4 years".

WunalaYann

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 37):
No other power on Earth has that kind of tradition.

The UK had it a bit before the US...  Wink

StuckInCA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 268):
No time frame referenced there unless you knew what his definition of "quick" was. Not until he had secured the election did we here "We may not get there in 4 years".

OK. That may be the case and I can't take the time to read every speech. If you think that repeated statements that we have a lot of work and that it's not going to be quick are deceptively different than "We may not get there in 4 years" then we'll have to agree to disagree. Again  Smile

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 233):
Oh yea exit polls are so accurate.

you still don't get it Nick, c'mon mate, it was a referendum on the last 8 years of GOP rule and the people resoundingly chose hope over fear.

I told you landslide with McCain not even reaching 200...try following the mood & not the polls next time.

Mir

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 pm

He's not my president

If not him, then who? Obama IS your president. Deal with it.

I'll never give him the respect that the title of the office deserves, he doesn't deserve it.

You should be embarrassed to make such comments. Obama deserves the respect of the office just as much as any other who has held it. You don't have to respect the man, but you do have to respect the office that he holds.

-Mir

Toulouse

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Are you a citizen of the US?
Do you currenty reside in the US?
Well here's a little geo-political lesson for you I hope is not too difficult for you to grasp. HE IS YOUR PRSIDENT.

Also sad to see you obviously don't respect the opinion of the MAJORITY of yout fellow citizens (if you answered "yes" to my above two vquestions).
Whether you respect him or not, is your opinion and your right, but I fear you are saying this through the eyes' of a blinded hardcore Republican who would probably have voted for any Republican predisential candidate last night, simply because he/she were a Republican, so must be right.  Yeah sure
I've often noticed who CLOSED conservatives tend to be, even here in Europe, they hate the left and will always vote right just because they're right/conservative. I find there are less people in the left camp like this who will often actually research the candidates more and decide on who is better, be it their preferred left-wing, centre or even a right-wing candidate.

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 247):
Just a shame about your statement. It says more about you than it does about Obama.

True, and sad.

I voted for all Democrats this election. If they don't turn this country around I will vote to throw all of them out in 4 more years. Give me an alternative Republicans

As DocLighting said, there is a World recession. Don't think we should expect miracle in 4 years, but I am confident things will improve in the US. That said, I agree fully with the essence of your statement, and highlights what I just said above to MCIguy.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 260):

Well said DocLighting. But where will he go? Yesterday I saw a study saying approximately 80% of the World population (outside the US) favoured Obama!

OA260

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 273):
Yesterday I saw a study saying approximately 80% of the World population (outside the US) favoured Obama!

Yes and the Anet poll I carried out on here was above 80% .

Anyway we really should not take anything posted here too seriously by people who cant accept the reality. It still is very refreshing that more Americans than not have a good comprehension on the way things should be in the USA and the World.

flymia

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 259):
Oh man... if people making $250K are 'struggling'... then they made some real poor choices in life. How about those who make $25K a year trying to support a family... do you think everything is hunky-dory for them?

Well 4% of 250,000 is $10,000 that’s a lot of money for even someone making $250,000. Second I agree with you that’s why a good tax plan would be anyone making less than $40,000 would not pay income taxes at all people making 41,000-100,000 pay a lower amount and everyone else pays the same.

If the government really wants to make money tax cigarettes 1200%! Yes 1200% I say it’s a nice way to get back at all those people who walk by me that I never met and never will see again yet they are affecting my life by putting poisons in my body which could eventually kill me. Also legalize Marijuana tax it and highly regulate it but tax it 2000%. Let’s face it Marijuana is safer than alcohol yet alcohol is still legal. I would say tax alcohol a little bit more too.

I would love to be in politics one day and hopefully maybe one day i could get measures let this across.   Now these are some real plans that will work. And worst thing that happens is people stop smoking which is a good thing too.
PS: This is a republican saying legalize Marijuana and tax cigarettes. Hence the reason I call myself a very moderate republican and I am not that upset that Senator Obama won except for the fact that my family is going to be paying more taxes to help spread the wealth they earned with their own hard work!

My Parents and Grandparents did not leave countries like Cuba in the 1950s and Germany in the 1940s to have their hard earned work taken away!

[Edited 2008-11-05 14:16:55]

seb146

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:23 pm

For the past 8 years, anyone who dared oppose Bush has been told "Respect the office" even taking it so far as to say the president and his/her decisions should be respected no matter how much we oppose them. Now, there is a Dem elected, we can just throw that statment out the window? I think not. Republicans had their chance and look where it got us.

Also, I am glad Dems made such strong gains. Yes, they will raise taxes on the richest of the rich to try to combat the trillions of dollars of debt run up by the Republicans (no one will see that, though) but, let's keep in mind Bush/Cheney will still be in office until January 29, 2009. Knowing those two and their "friends" litteraly ANYTHING can happen between now and then. I will not truly celebrate until January 30, 2009.

747srule

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years to keep communists,terrorists and socialists out of the USA. Seems like wasted time now. America as we know is DEAD as of Jan.20,2009. This is a sad day for people like me. God help us all.

StuckInCA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting Flymia (Reply 275):
Well 4% of 250,000 is $10,000 that’s a lot of money for even someone making $250,000

The increase isn't on the entire amount, right? It would be on an amount over some figure. You know... tax rates? Here's how it looked for 2007. Imagine an increase to the "amount over $XXX" Not an increase on the whole thing.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

Based on information available, if you had an income (wages) of $275,000 as a single person, Obama would tax you about $4000 more than McCain would have. Not even a 1.5% increase overall. Hardly a huge burden.

OA260

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting 747srule (Reply 277):
Seems like wasted time now.

Well some may say it was a waste anyway  Wink

seb146

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years to keep communists,terrorists and socialists out of the USA. Seems like wasted time now. America as we know is DEAD as of Jan.20,2009

What about all the money the Bush administration gave to corporations since 2000? No one ever sees that. No one ever sees the stagnant wages since Bush took office. No one sees the re-distribution of wealth among the wealthy. How much money in no-bid contracts was given to private contractors in Iraq? How long did our troops have to use untreated water given to them by the United States government? It took years before a Congressional investigation revealed that soldiers were being treated so poorly in our VA hospitals.

Geez.... The guy has not even taken office yet and everyone on the right has given up. Try working with Obama and a Democratic majority.The Dems had to face things like "nuclear options" and being shouted down since 2000.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:44 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years

And didn't learn a damn thing. I'm from a family with long military traditions - and nobody is talking like you today.  Yeah sure

BN747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years to keep communists,terrorists and socialists out of the USA. Seems like wasted time now. America as we know is DEAD as of Jan.20,2009. This is a sad day for people like me. God help us all.

And I thank whatever God, that my brother, a life long US Marine.. feels the COMPLETE opposite ...as you 747SRULE, along with many of his compadres!

BN747

[Edited 2008-11-05 15:16:50]

A332

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 pm

I guarantee you do not know the actual definition of 'communist', 'terrorist', or 'socialist'... just a hunch.

We need to stop feeding these people words that exceed one syllable.

LU9092

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 pm

And worst thing that happens is people stop smoking which is a good thing too.

Or maybe organized crime will smuggle in cigs by the millions, thereby creating a huge black market along with more crime? Higher "sin taxes" are a good thing to point, and that point is where it becomes worthwhile for the average citizen to start getting the product illegally. I am guessing a 2000% cigarette tax would be beyond that point. It is pretty much at that point here in NYC as it is.

767Lover

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Thank you for your service, but calm down. This is the same sort of hyperbolic crap that left wing nutjobs have said for years, and the sky didn't fall then and it won't fall now. Though the US does have problems, people are still able to line up for overpriced lattes and deck out their houses with flat screened televisions and create inane Myspace pages and write anything please on public internet forums.

Big picture-wise, your life won't change that much in the next 4 years, and years from now we will be in a new election cycle and this process will start all over again.

AirframeAS

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Seems like we have problems addressing who Obama is at this current time-line. Obama is NOT president now. He is still Sen. Obama AND now a new title is President-Elect Obama until Jan 20th. Keep in mind he is still a Senator until he resigns from his current position BEFORE he is allowed to be sworn into office Jan 20th.

Being President or President-Elect are two different things, guys.

Congrats to Sen. and President-Elect Obama. Wish him well.

Congrats to Sen McCain on a well fought battle. Too bad it didn't go like I wanted to.

The next 4 years are gonna be interesting.....very, very interesting I tell ya!

Charles79

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Is this statement a joke? Could you care explain why is America dead? As a former Air Force officer I dealt with many folks from the USMC, and I doubt any of them would say something like this.

Grow up, it's healthy.

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:15 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years to keep communists,terrorists and socialists out of the USA.

So Obama is a Commie, a Socialist and a Terrorist? All that together? wow he must be a real busy guy ...
It's comments like yours and people like you (judging by what you post) that helped the US reach an all time low in world popularity, even among your friends' and allies'.

Oh, and let me know when Obama walks around with a red flag ...
do you even know what communism is? Have you ever been to a Communst country? If you did, what you imply is pathetic, if you didn't please learn a bit more before saying things like these.
And take this from someone who is not preciesly left-friendly

11Bravo

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:17 pm

I served in the USMC for 8 years to keep communists,terrorists and socialists out of the USA.

No you didn't. Communism and Socialism are economic systems not physical threats to national security. You took an oath:

Quote:
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I think you are confusing your actual obligations under the law with an allegiance to a political ideology, or more likely, a particular politician. That oath was put in place to prevent exactly the sort of blatant partisan loyalty that you are advocating.

America as we know is DEAD as of Jan.20,2009.

What a bizarre comment. Some of you people have been listening to the right-wing radio nuts so much that you've lost it. Irrational statements like yours show a profound lack of understanding regarding the proportion and context of events.

The ultra-conservative political movement in this country might be DEAD as of January 20, 2009, but America itself will be just fine. It will take time to undo the mess created by eight years of incompetence, corruption, and cronyism, but Americans have always risen to challenge and adversity.

AustinAllison

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 33):
Finally a CHANGE!! Sorry but despite all the differences, McCain represented the continuation of the US's worst president in history. In fact, W is probably the biggest reason why Obama won.
Now I hope that Obama will bring a new era with no wars, no more wmd lies, no invasion of other countries justified because they are part of the "axis of evil", and hopefully the US will go back to dimplomacy, and talking with the "enemies" instead of bombing them "just in case".

Too bad Bush still has a couple of months left though .. (how did he win the reelection is still unbelievable).

GWB is NOT the worst president. Several years down the line people will look back and realize GWB was a GREAT president. Not good, but great.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 291):
Several years down the line people will look back and realize GWB was a GREAT president. Not good, but great.

Are you related to Tim Leary? I thought that guy's movement was long-over...

Charles79

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:35 pm

GWB is NOT the worst president. Several years down the line people will look back and realize GWB was a GREAT president. Not good, but great.

Would you care elaborate what exactly makes GWB great? I'm serious, what do you see that he did that makes his time in office great. I'm not calling him the worst necessarily, but I have trouble seeing his administration as great.

miamix707

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 185):
Quoting Oa260 (Reply 183):
The way I see the American flag changed also. It is now a country I can respect because of the way the people chose a different path.

The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west. My pants still go on the same way as they did yesterday. Nothing has changed, and nothing will. Maybe some things will change in an inevitable way to get the world's economy going back in the way it needs to. This change will happen regardless of who sits in the Oval Office of the United States.

Silly brilliant. It's scary how naive and gullible people are that they put their faith in one person who hasn't even started governing yet, to the point they think he's the messiah already. Unlike other nations who elect populist politicians who end up becoming dictators, thank God the US has checks and balances!

I wish Obama the best, and any changes he brings might be received positively at least at first, but Obama isn't the savior for the world's problems

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 189):

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 187)
Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 184):
Its proven through history that Democrats always cut the US defense buget (Carter, Clinton to just name a few.)

Sorry to hear it, JakeOrion. But I suspect that you're kinda talking about the 'offence' budget, rather than the 'defence' one?

Meaning that if the USA stops attacking people, you might be out of a job?

It's not about just attacking people but maintaining a deterrent. Like it or not whenever there is military action the world does expect the US to get involved, whether it be Bosnia, Iraq (First Gulf War), etc.

Had not been for the US military the boundary lines we seen on the world map today would look very different

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 197):
Don't take this as a personal offence, as it is not intended, but Bush destroyed the image of the country

We don't. But the sad and yet funny thing is, as mediocre as Bush might have been, he's still better than 99% of the world leaders out there

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 191):
Compassion,educated and not false in anyway. He mentioned people with Disabilites and the Gay community

Yeah sure I was saddened he didn't mention populist hippies

A332

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Care to elaborate as to why? I'm curious.

EZEIZA

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:06 am

how so? A great liar maybe? or do you still think Iraq was justified (based on HIS allegations)?
Saddam was a major sob, but why lie to everyone with the wmd's and al qaeda ties?

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 294):
We don't. But the sad and yet funny thing is, as mediocre as Bush might have been, he's still better than 99% of the world leaders out there

In what way? Let's see: He's responsable for one of the greatest economic downfall in history (it doesn't matter why or who started it, he had 8 years to deal with it and failed), he started a war under false accusations (anyone found any WMD or link between Bin Laden and Saddam?), he's made the US hated around the world, therefore creating even more terrorists, he's destroyed a lot of what the US stands for (civil liberties ... where are they?), he has imposed a "with us or against us" rule, he doesn't even speak properly  Wink
I'm sorry but Bush has been a joke for such an important office. Sure there are worse leaders, but 99%? And most of all, none with the influence worldwide that his office has.

What positive things has Bush left as a legacy? I'm curious to see your views on that.

rgds

Aaron747

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:17 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 296):
What positive things has Bush left as a legacy?

The only two positives I see are that his administration's foreign policy moderated somewhat in its last two years - with discernible victory in the six-party negotiations with North Korea that were handled very well by Christopher Hill.

The other being that the utter failure of his presidency has stimulated two very positive developments: a) Republicans will have to evaluate what they actually want to stand for and come together around it - which will only make the party better and b) More than ever, especially after watching the Democrats' stupid antics in fighting off Bush, Americans are now registering as independent voters in record numbers.

AirCop

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:19 am

Several years down the line people will look back and realize GWB was a GREAT president. Not good, but great.

Must be something in air down in Texas  boggled 
All of the Presidents that historians have judged as "great" "effective" had one trait in common. The ability to communicate effectively. This is one skill that W has always lacked.

Add me to list waiting for your explanation of why GWB was great.

RJdxer

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 298):
Add me to list waiting for your explanation of why GWB was great.

I'd have to agree. Average but that's about it. Certainly not the worst.

FruteBrute

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 am

LOL! You're hilarious.

Where did I say it needs to be or should be expected overnight? Doing a 180 degree turn takes some time. Bush has screwed the military for 20 years, as I've frequently said. Economically probably 10 years. But we can start making some serious headway in 4 years.

miamix707

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 286):

Thank you for your service, but calm down. This is the same sort of hyperbolic crap that left wing nutjobs have said for years, and the sky didn't fall then and it won't fall now

Thank you. Extreme right wingers are as bad as extreme left wing nutjobs, these people are making the country carry too heavy a baggage that prevents progress

Also legalize Marijuana tax it and highly regulate it but tax it 2000%. Let’s face it Marijuana is safer than alcohol yet alcohol is still legal. I would say tax alcohol a little bit more too.

I agree with you there. Criminalizing marijuana is simply stupid, I've never been a smoker and can see that. Once the allure of smoking illegal weed is gone, many kids will go back to getting more normal hobbies perhaps. Tax it and tax cigarettes even more.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 264):
Yet you seem perfectly content to reside in a state that put Prop 8 on the ballot and voted it in. Whatever.

some people will always need something to b***tch about

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 251):
The more and more I see the news footage of Obama and his wife

looking at Obama's wife hairdo scares me, and she isn't the brightest cookie, hence one of the things that makes me question this man's judgment

checkmark 

I'm willing to give people who have somewhat different ideas, like Obama, a chance. They deserve it. And yes, things have happened that were beyond this administration's control, including some with the economy that were a fallout of the crappy economic mismanagement of the Clinton administration's last 2 years (for which he never gets credited). However, Republicans have done just the same, and for most of these 8 years there hasn't' been any real economic progress and probably a regression in living standards. They were too content watching the economy appear to thrive on the real estate boom alone, which didn't even have the legs to stand on.