Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Alias1024

RE: The Obama Administration - Cabinet Speculation

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting Dvk (Reply 25):
Hillary will stay where she is. She's in a strong position as a senator, and has very little to gain from giving up her seat.

I can think of one seat she would give up her Senate seat for. Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Now that would be one hell of a confirmation process.

New Mexico may see two of it's top officials called to serve in the cabinet of President Obama. Everyone has mentioned Gov. Richardson for Secretary of State. There has also been some talk of Sen. Jeff Bingaman for Secretary of Energy. He is the current chairman of the Energy and Natural Resources committee. Given his committee chairmanship and the huge presence the Department of Energy has in New Mexico (two national labs and the largest office outside Washington D.C.), he is certainly already knowledgeable as to the workings of the agency.

Just some thoughts.

N867DA

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Obama should place some people from the private sector in cabinet level positions. I don't think it's healthy to have a coalition of former legislators running the country. Rahm Emanuel will piss off Republicans, but he definitely won't be a lapdog. Rahm's big challenge is to show strength but avoid being a jackass.

stasisLAX

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 am

Former Obama chief strategist David Axelrod has accepted the position of Senior Adviser in the White House, sources tell ABC News.

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2008.../axelrod-emanuel.html?xid=rss-page

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 37):
Jesse Jackson, Jr., who is a Congressman from IL.

There is talk that he will get appointed by Illinois' governor to fill Obama's seat once he resigns to take the oath of office.

I would not be surpised to see one of two governors as AG:

Gov. Janet Napolitano
Gov. Jennifer Granholm. (She was Michigan's AG, and very good at it, and it would allow her to focus on law) (She could also be in contention for Sec. of Engery. There is talk in Michigan that Obama sought her counsel on Energy related issues, as she is trying to make Michigan's economy less one demensional)

dragon6172

Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:49 am

Off topic question, some have mentioned the Govenator for a couple of these cabinet positions, how do they handle the line of succession in such cases with him not being natural born citizen? Obviously if we are moving that far down the list, its bad things happening and it may not be a big concern, but just wondering.

haggis79

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 59):
Off topic question, some have mentioned the Govenator for a couple of these cabinet positions, how do they handle the line of succession in such cases with him not being natural born citizen?

well, I guess he would just not be elegible as a successor and therefore, if it came to it, the next one below him on the list would be president.

I half expect the "natural born citizen" thing to be dropped soon anyway, though, so Arnie can run for president....

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 60):
well, I guess he would just not be elegible as a successor and therefore, if it came to it, the next one below him on the list would be president.

Yes, they are listed in tables, as being the Secretary, but there is no number next to their name because they are not eligable to become President.

Mir

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 39):
DOT: Ed Rendell

That's actully where I'd like to see Bill Richardson (D-NM).

There's a lot to like about Richardson for a number of positions, but putting him in Transportation would be a waste. He belongs in State.

-Mir

Moose135

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Correct, he would not be in the line of succession.

I half expect the "natural born citizen" thing to be dropped soon anyway, though, so Arnie can run for president....

That would take a constitutional amendment, and I don't think it would have much success getting adopted.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:36 pm

When will we hear about the first appointments for the "shadow cabinet" ?

Blackbird

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Rahm Emanuel to the best of my knowledge has been selected as Chief of Staff.

Kind of ironic considering the guy was considered an out in the open spy for Israel...

Blackbird

usair320

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 63):
There's a lot to like about Richardson for a number of positions, but putting him in Transportation would be a waste. He belongs in State.

I could see him in state, but I lived in NM for two years and saw the progress he made. It seemed to me his comfort zones are Energy and Transportation. As far as Diplomacey goes, he would be decent in state, I just pray that Kerry dosen't get to it...... (I voted for him in '04 only because of Bush..).

ltbewr

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:29 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 65):

Unlike other countries, there is no 'shadow cabinet' in the USA. The party out of power will still have influence on the committees in the Senate and Congress that create legisgation as well as sending out top party leaders to news shows to promote and critize polices of the President and the ruling party if the same.

Michigan Gov. Groholm has already said as of today she has no interest of being in Obama's cabinet, rather staying as a Governor to help her troubled state facing extreme economic issues. As she was born in Canada, she could never be President or VP in extreme succession situations.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 68):
Michigan Gov. Groholm has already said as of today she has no interest of being in Obama's cabinet

And Clinton said she would never run for President and Biden said he would never want to be Vice President.

I suspect if she was offered something, it would be very hard to turn down.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 68):

Unlike other countries, there is no 'shadow cabinet' in the USA. The party out of power will still have influence on the committees in the Senate and Congress

-
alright. But in my mind, the transfer of power of one administration to the other just to be on the level of president and vice-president cannot be sufficient. Crucially important is the transfer of acting minister to the appointed minister to be. Examples : Wouldn't it be nice for Mrs Rice to instruct and advise and inform her successor as soon as possible ? -- unless SHE is her own successor ..... who knows ? Wouldn't it be constructive if the Minister of Defence could start with the handover soonEST -- again unless being his own successor ? etc etc
-
Ministers in government very often are AS important or even more important than the TOP persons. In Switzerland, SEVEN ministers form the national government as a "collegial government", all seven with the same right and the same rank. The "Federal President" does not have more rights than the others and only exerts ceremonial functions, BESIDE his normal ministerial duties.

RJdxer

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 71):
Ministers in government very often are AS important or even more important than the TOP persons. In Switzerland, SEVEN ministers form the national government as a "collegial government", all seven with the same right and the same rank. The "Federal President" does not have more rights than the others and only exerts ceremonial functions, BESIDE his normal ministerial duties.

Not the way it works over here. Cabinet appointments are polictical appointments. Beaurocrats are the only constant at the departments which can lead to friction if the beaurocrats don't believe the department is being run the way they think it ought to be. Over here the President is the Chief Executive and has a lot of power. The Cabinet Secretaries serve at his or her leisure. Their job is to implement his plan in their departments and to report to him or her any deviations. As you will see, once a Administration changes, especially as radically as this change will be in thinking, a briefing by the out going Secretary is almost a waste of time since the incoming Secretary already has guidance from the new President on how they want things done and rarely does it match the previous Presidents.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 65):
Not the way it works over here. Cabinet appointments are polictical appointments. Beaurocrats are the only constant at the departments which can lead to friction if the beaurocrats don't believe the department is being run the way they think it ought to be. Over here the President is the Chief Executive and has a lot of power. The Cabinet Secretaries serve at his or her leisure.

-
Thanks. But in my view, it is an absurd situation. The powerful seven ministers of a collegial government of a 7,5 mio country whose virture is neutralitiy compared to ministers serving the President of a 300 mio nation with the role of THE superpower and some ... military bases around the globe ! Isn't that over-stretching the capabilities of the people in charge ? I regard myself as acceptably intelligent in spite of shortcomings like in mathematics but would feel to be simply far too stupid to serve as a US-President !
-
I mean, just imagine GWB was the chief of a Walmart supermarket. Thousands of people would praise that man as SO NICE, and SO SO COMPETENT and SO UNDERSTANDING, and such a nice man ! .. If he died in a car accident, people would talk about him three decades later. I think that you US-Americans and we others in the world simply expect and demand too much of a single person, who dares to try to be supermen !

stasisLAX

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 60):
Rahm Emanuel to the best of my knowledge has been selected as Chief of Staff. Kind of ironic considering the guy was considered an out in the open spy for Israel...

No one could be more of an advocate (and very possibly a "mole") for Israel than former Undersecretary of Defense Doug Feith that served under Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Condi Rice was reported to have once stated directly to Feith that if she wanted to know the Israeli's position on the war in Iraq, she "would have invited the Israeli Ambassador" to the U.S. to a high-level policy meeting.

AGM100

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 60):
Kind of ironic considering the guy was considered an out in the open spy for Israel

And even worse , on the BOD of Fannie and Freddy Mac for 2 years. Cashin in for that political run baby ! Nice

BN747

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 am

Defense: Retain Gates. If he doesn't wish to remain, Sam Nunn

Looks like one prediction is becoming reality...Nunn gets tapped-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1...-taps-veteran-dems-f_n_143176.html

BN747

AGM100

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Jamie Gorelick for AG. NY times reporting her consideration ,but says she is not interested .... right.

Another Fanny Mae VP going to be playing a role in the new administration ? Great !

dxing

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 am

It's looking more and more like Clinton part 3 isn't it?

stasisLAX

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 57):

According to the Wall Street Journal, President-Elect is under extreme pressure to name New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson as the new Secretary of State.

"The National Hispanic Leadership Agenda, an umbrella organization of 26 Hispanic groups, called on Mr. Obama to select Gov. Richardson, who endorsed Mr. Obama in March after dropping out of the Democratic race for president in January. Gov. Richardson, a Mexican-American, is a seasoned diplomat, having served as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under President Bill Clinton."

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122645348800219543.html

I think Governor Richardson is a much better choice to lead the State Department than Senator Kerry.  yes 

stasisLAX

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 am

NBC News is stating that the Obama Administration has approached Hillary Clinton with an offer to be the Secretary of State!   

Clinton was spotted boarding a flight to Chicago today, but her handlers said Hillary was traveling to Illinois on "personal business".

Source: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/11/13/1673635.aspx

I think it would be awesome to have Hillary in the Obama Administration. I think she would be a strong voice in the new cabinet. But, given her commitment to health-care, I think she would be most effective as Secretary of Health and Human Services. Governor Richardson would be the best choice to lead the State Department, IMHO.

But would Hillary be most useful to President-Elect Obama where she is right now, as a leader in the U.S. Senate?

[Edited 2008-11-13 18:16:53]

[Edited 2008-11-13 18:20:14]

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 73):
Governor Richardson would be the best choice to lead the State Department

I think Hillary would be a great choice. Does anyone think that it is a little odd that people are campaigning for people to become a cabinet secretary? The decision is up to President-Elect Obama. To me, it is one thing to state your interest in a position, but when you start going to the media saying you want it or have interest groups saying that Obama owes them something because he campaigned for him, just sounds odd.

If he thinks Clinton would be best in the role of Secretary of State, then he will offer. If he thinks Sen. Kerry would be best, he will offer. If he thinks Gov. Richardson would be best, he will offer.

The decision is Obama's and his alone. I think Clinton would make a great SOS, and Richardson would be good to send back to the UN. I think Kerry is just trying to raise his profile and would be better by being a Sen. from MA.

Clinton has said she would like to continue to work in the Senate for New York, but I would think a high profile cabinet position would be too hard to refuse. I think she can go a long way to helping Obama repairing the United States image abroad.

fxramper

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Daschle is going to run the show for HHS, and DC insiders are reporting he's author the Obama Health Care Plan, not Whitehouse staffers.

God help us.  pray 

Alias1024

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:09 pm

RIght now it looks like the following will be made official next week:

Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton

Treasury Secretary: Tim Geithner

Secretary of Commerce: Bill Richardson

Thoughs?

RSWA330

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 71):
It's looking more and more like Clinton part 3 isn't it?

How ironic considering he ran on the mantra of "CHANGE."

mariner

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 77):
ow ironic considering he ran on the mantra of "CHANGE."

It is a change - a Secretary of State who might actually achieve something.

mariner

dxing

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:00 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 78):
It is a change - a Secretary of State who might actually achieve something.

Based on being able to dodge imaginary sniper fire? Or by sending out subconcious mind control signals to solve the problems in Northern Ireland?  wink 

mariner

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 79):
Based on being able to dodge imaginary sniper fire? Or by sending out subconcious mind control signals to solve the problems in Northern Ireland?

No.

But since you put a smiley at the end, I assume you already know that.  Smile

mariner

dxing

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 80):
No.

Then perhaps you mean by using as Dr. Kissenger has said, "her temperment"? The one that includes throwing things at her husband and talking down her campaign staff?  duck   mischievous  No is right. She is not the right person for the job but again the Chicago mafia has pulled off a coup. As long as she is Secretary of State they don't have to worry about Bill shooting off his mouth and backstabbing them.

mariner

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:31 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 81):
he is not the right person for the job but again the Chicago mafia has pulled off a coup.

I can't think of anyone better for the job - partly because of all the negatives people like you throw at her - and if the "Chicago Mafia" has pulled off a coup, they may have done the world a service.

And watched their backs, at the same time.  Smile

mariner

dxing

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 82):
I can't think of anyone better for the job

I would rather see Madiline Albright brought out of retirement. Or perhaps Jimmy Carter. Both have better temperments than Sen. Clinton. Niether have an ulterior agenda that is out of line with the President-elect either.

mariner

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 83):
I would rather see Madiline Albright brought out of retirement. Or perhaps Jimmy Carter. Both have better temperments than Sen. Clinton.

Whatever. That isn't the reality, and (thankfully) that isn't happening.

Neither of those two have Mrs. Clinton's formidable abilities, some of which, I grant, may not be particularly attractive to you.

mariner

dxing

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 84):
Neither of those two have Mrs. Clinton's formidable abilities,

What abilities would those be? As they relate to foreign policy making? What job has she held that even comes close to foreign service? She has no committee chair since she is the junior Senator from New York. She is on the armed service, environment and public works, health education labor and pensions, as well as the aging committees. None of those has to do with foreign relations. Perhaps if you'd care to elaborate I might understand your position a little better but all I see now is that the Chicago political mafia silenced one of their most vocal critics with a bribe.

Beaucaire

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:56 pm

To me HRC has no foreign-politics experience whatsoever-other than travelling as a spouse with her former husband. Her strong und uncritical support for Israel is well noted and personally I have never ever heard any meaningful statement regarding the Middle East ,South America or Russia . I doubt she has any progressive ideas to help Cuba getting out of it's isolated position towards the USA neither any meaningful doctrines to change the way Iran and Syria should be treated in the future.
I'm not againts HRC per se, but think she's the wrong person for the job .Simply too close to Israel's interests since her New York senator post.

Alias1024

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 86):
To me HRC has no foreign-politics experience whatsoever-other than travelling as a spouse with her former husband. Her strong und uncritical support for Israel is well noted and personally I have never ever heard any meaningful statement regarding the Middle East ,South America or Russia . I doubt she has any progressive ideas to help Cuba getting out of it's isolated position towards the USA neither any meaningful doctrines to change the way Iran and Syria should be treated in the future.
I'm not againts HRC per se, but think she's the wrong person for the job .Simply too close to Israel's interests since her New York senator post.

Don't forget though, that it isn't her foreign policy she will be representing. If she becomes Secretary of State she will be responsible for representing the policies set by the President.

mariner

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 85):
What abilities would those be?

For the last eight years, there has been a vacuum at State. Secretary Powell should have done well, but he was completely compromised during the build-up to the Iraq War.

Secretary Rice is a brilliant academic, promoted way above her competence level. Like many academics, she intellectualizes the issues and her statements are often ambiguous.

I'm reasonably intelligent and reasonably well-read, but I have no idea what she actually meant in her statements to the president of Georgia, for example, and whatever she says she meant ("don't attack"), obviously he didn't get it either.

Neither of those two, of course, has ever held elective office and much of the function of state is dealing with politicians in other countries. Whether the elections that brought them to power were democratic is open to question, but they remain politicians.

Mrs. Clinton has held elective office and came closer then any other woman ever has to the presidency. Even many of her enemies on the right (and the left) admit her remarkable skills - it's happening on Fox News as I write this.

She can also be down and dirty, boots on the ground, bang heads together, with the tenacity of a put bull. Provably, she doesn't easily give up and, in her presidential campaign, was able to craft nuanced coalitions.

She is also loyal - she stuck to her husband when everyone in the country would have understood if she had left him - and she has been a powerful advocate for women's rights.

Importantly, for this role, she has a huge ego. Given the monstrous ego-centics with whom she will be dealing, this may prove to be be her greatest asset.

Is there the potential for conflict in this? I hope so. There should have been conflict during Secretary Powell's term.

Is there the possibility that she be fail as SOS? There is always that possibility. But it is hard to imagine that she could do any worse than the two previous incumbents, and, given her ambition and her desire to create her place in history, there is also the possibility that she may actually achieve something.

To those who insist that the job should go to a more conventional diplomat, I can only say look where that's got us for the past eight years.

mariner

dxing

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 88):
To those who insist that the job should go to a more conventional diplomat, I can only say look where that's got us for the past eight years.

You spent the first half of the post describing how the two previous Secretaries weren't cut out or smart enough for the job. You spend the second half telling us about Senator Clintons drawback. I have yet to see where she is right for the job. Holding elective office, having a pit bull demeanor, a huge ego, and loyalty to someone who didn't deserve it (and for whom you sort of demean Powell for) still does not equate to a good Secretary of State or for that matter even a good diplomat. Senators are used to getting their way and when they don't they can get very insulting. I'm sorry. We will have to agree to disagree. She has not prepared, nor does she have the demeanor to be the Secretary of State IMO.

mariner

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 89):
(and for whom you sort of demean Powell for)

No sir, my admiration for him is profound. I didn't say "he compromsied" - I said "he was compromised."

With which he agrees:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-08-powell-iraq_x.htm

"The presentation by the soldier-diplomat to the world body in February 2003 lent considerable credibility to President Bush's case against Iraq and for going to war to remove President Saddam Hussein.

In the speech, Powell said he had relied on information he received at Central Intelligence Agency briefings. He said Thursday that then-director George Tenet "believed what he was giving to me was accurate."

But, Powell said, "the intelligence system did not work well."

"There were some people in the intelligence community who knew at the time that some of those sources were not good, and shouldn't be relied upon, and they didn't speak up," Powell said.

"That devastated me," he said.

Others compromised him.

Howsumever, the main thrust of the attack here was that the appointment of Mrs. Clinton does not represent "change."

Since we have not had a politician at State for a very long time, I think that is "change", and I find it hard to fault the President-elect for doing what he promised.

mariner

ME AVN FAN

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 85):
What job has she held that even comes close to foreign service?

-
As "First Lady" she was acting as a kind of "Vice Foreign Minister" for her husband, and as a kind of personal envoy around the globe. People outside the USA possibly saw her more frequently than people inside the USA.
-

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 86):
progressive ideas

-
a Foreign Minister in most countries has to carry out the politics roughly defined by either the head of state or the head of government, unless having been voted directly into the job by parliament and being one of seven equals as it is in Switzerland --- and in New York, being pro-Israel and pro-Jewish quite obviously is a definite requirement
-

AGM100

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:39 pm

I am beginning to like some of the selections PE Obama is putting forth.Gen. James Jones is top notch form what I have read and heard . Even the talk shows have been praising some of PE Obamas selections. Gen.James Jones appears to be a very accomplished man , good selection. Any time you can get a US Marine to do the job , your chances of success increase ! I will be honest , I thought he was going to drag out Gen W.Clark .... I was praying that would not happen. Good pick !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Jones

Possible CIA Director (Brennan) backs out of the running because of controversy over tourture policy in the CIA. Evidently the left wing howl over his time at the CIA has caused him to think twice . NPR ran a peice this moring and they even asked the question... Who in the CIA would the left wing like ? I hope PE Obama stands up too the daily kooks and asks Brennan to reconsider. The guy was CIA cheif in Saudi Arabia for peets sake .. seems like the experience we need. Damn good pick IMO!

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...na-cia26-2008nov26,0,7384808.story

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm

It looks as if President Obama is bringing together a team of experienced professionals with lots of useful national and international connections, folks able to do the job needed to be done. Even if it sounds contradictory, only such "insiders" can bring about some necessary change. And at the same time do some good competent governing.

dxing

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 91):
As "First Lady" she was acting as a kind of "Vice Foreign Minister" for her husband, and as a kind of personal envoy around the globe.

Nope, doesn't work that way. She made very few trips outside the USA without her husband other than to take Chelsea to India and other tourist sites. Of course she was there to use subconcious mind control to get the Northern Ireland situation sorted out.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 91):
People outside the USA possibly saw her more frequently than people inside the USA.

Nope. Especially during the first term when Whitewater was the rage she was on TV almost as much as her husband.

dxing

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Looks as if David Gates will remain as Sec Def possibly for a year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/politics/story/376598.html

Perhaps that describes the troubles in finding a Democrat that can actually boast decent credentials.

AGM100

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 95):
Looks as if David Gates will remain as Sec Def possibly for a year.

Im good with it , But dont get me started about Hillary ! Nothing but a political french kiss.

That said , she does have international detente and is certainly a recognizable figure. Some cases this is good to have in that role , sometimes it may turn into a press circus. I am afraid that Hillary may actually bring too much of a spotlight in some cases ... but It still remains to be seen. Bill will surely want to travel on those free trips ... oh the deals that can be made !

haggis79

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 95):
Perhaps that describes the troubles in finding a Democrat that can actually boast decent credentials.

talk about being double-tounged... if he brings in a Democrat, you complain about broken promises of a bipartisan gouvernment. If he brings in a Republican... well, see above  Yeah sure

dxing

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 97):
if he brings in a Democrat, you complain about broken promises of a bipartisan gouvernment. If he brings in a Republican... well, see above

Nope, I fully expect any republican brought in to be in a minor cabinet position if any. This suggests a lack DNC approved people with the proper credentials. The story suggests they wanted continuity, but that never stopped them from wanting Rumsfield out in the middle of the situation that was much worse then. The other thought is to leave Gates there, get his agreement to withdraw troops from Iraq and then if things start to go badly you got a ready made excuse.

haggis79

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 98):
The other thought is to leave Gates there, get his agreement to withdraw troops from Iraq and then if things start to go badly you got a ready made excuse.

well, do me a favour and blame the new administration of searching excuses and blaming things going badly on Gates once they start doing it, not before. But who am I talking to.... I should be fully aware that Obama could do anything on earth and you would still be critizising him. If he went on water, you'd probably blame him of blasphemy or complain he that couldn't swim  

Edited for grammar.

[Edited 2008-11-26 14:15:03]