Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AGM100
Topic Author

John S. McCain

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:14 pm

I supported Sen McCain .

I supported Sen McCain, not so much for what I thought he could do for me , but more of what I could do for him. I like Sen. McCains idea of America. I like Senator McCains life of service to his country and his view that sacrafice and struggle makes a person stronger. I admire Sen McCains display of life long courage to stand for what he beleived in , even in the face of his allies disagreement.

I said long ago that I related personally with Sen McCain and held him as a example for my life. I hope that at the end of my life someone will say things about me like I do of Sen McCain... He always display's courage honour and humility to service. These are ideas that can not be promoted and fabricated by those around you ... these are things that must be earned. This character is earned outside of the spotlights and televisions cameras , this character comes from things that columnists can not write about. I am having trouble even putting into words my admiration of Sen McCain , its not politcal , its not religious, its not some gleaming object. It is strong , silent and hidden away in the strongest part of my soul.

Although I opposed Sen Obama , I am hopefull that he too sees these ideals that Sen McCain displays. I was very moved by Sen Obama's comments last night about Sen McCain .. and I could not have said it better.

We must not forget Sen McCains generation of men , they are and always will be my heroes.
Big version: Width: 250 Height: 277 File size: 23kb
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

AirCop

RE: John S. McCain

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Perhaps he can end his political career on a high note such as; U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam?

VSlover

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:30 pm

i also thought mccains speech in itself was incredibly eloquent, and sincere. watching it i was thinking THATS the john mccain i always liked (as a lib here) and the one that was shoved to the background my his campaign handlers over the past year.

his classless supporters in that rally though--wow. it just showed the seeds of hate and division the campaign handlers worked so hard to build--which, again, i dont believe mccain truly stands for.

he's had 8 yrs on display and examination to say that his campaign was anything but his own this year.

Msl747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 pm

I was an Obama supporter, but I echo your sentiments about John McCain, he is truly a great man, and its too bad that some of that image got washed away in this election. The concession speech that he gave last night was magnificent and had the John McCain who spoke last night been the same one who ran for president, the outcome of the election might well have been different. I sincerely hope that Pres Obama reaches out to McCain to help heal some of the divides in this country.
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

F9Widebody

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting VSLover (Reply 3):
i also thought mccains speech in itself was incredibly eloquent, and sincere. watching it i was thinking THATS the john mccain i always liked (as a lib here) and the one that was shoved to the background my his campaign handlers over the past year.

Agreed. Here's what the economist said on the issue:

Quote:
If only the real John McCain had been running

That, however, was Senator McCain; the Candidate McCain of the past six months has too often seemed the victim of political sorcery, his good features magically inverted, his bad ones exaggerated. The fiscal conservative who once tackled Mr Bush over his unaffordable tax cuts now proposes not just to keep the cuts, but to deepen them. The campaigner against ethanol subsidies (who had a better record on global warming than most Democrats) came out in favour of a petrol-tax holiday. It has not all disappeared: his support for free trade has never wavered. Yet rather than heading towards the centre after he won the nomination, Mr McCain moved to the right.

YES URLS in signature!!!

desertjets

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 pm

I did so as well. He is a very bright, thoughtful, and eloquent person whom I still respect very highly. He speech showed that he is still very much a class act. I too was somewhat dismayed by the reaction of his audience when they booed Obama. It was rude and inappropriate and I think Senator McCain felt that way too. He looked visibly annoyed by that.

Quoting AGM100 (Thread starter):
Although I opposed Sen Obama , I am hopefull that he too sees these ideals that Sen McCain displays. I was very moved by Sen Obama's comments last night about Sen McCain .. and I could not have said it better.

I was too. At the end of the day I think there is much mutual respect between the two.

With McCain's current term up in 2010 I can't help but wonder if he will retire or not.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm

he's had 8 yrs on display and examination to say that his campaign was anything but his own this year.

In some weird way I am glad he did not win ... The Presidency now only ends in dishonor. Our nation loves to eat its leaders and spit them out like half chewed food.

At least my idea of what Senator McCain stand for will be intact , and can not be damaged by our modern dissent forum.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NIKV69

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 7):
The Presidency now only ends in dishonor

Yep Jimmy Carter all over again. 4 years of high taxes, inflation and Iran doing whatever they want.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Flighty

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:20 pm

His conciliation speech was one of the best speeches I have seen in years. It was really the final serious, historic speech of his life. He lived up to it.

Obama's speech meanwhile struck me as by-the-numbers heavily leaning on sacred MLK texts that he really should not tread upon. No one is good enough to take on MLK's mantle, certainly not Obama, who will preside over war crimes from his first day in office, compromising himself endlessly in the unholy office of the US Presidency. I like Obama but he really needs to find his own voice, without Dr. King. To use him politically is just cheap.

Mir

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:18 pm

McCain, in bowing out, was the McCain that many in this country had wanted. And if he had given them that McCain instead of the right-leaning McCain, he probably would have had a different speech to give that night.

I still have a lot of respect for the man, and I wish him the best in his capacity as Senator (which I imagine that he will continue). Win or lose, this country needs more people like him.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):
Quoting AGM100 (Reply 7):
The Presidency now only ends in dishonor

Yep Jimmy Carter all over again. 4 years of high taxes, inflation and Iran doing whatever they want.

That comment pretty much flew right over your head.  Yeah sure

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ThePRGuy

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 pm

I like Sen. McCains idea of America. I like Senator McCains life of service to his country and his view that sacrafice and struggle makes a person stronger.

Really? What about all the people literally giving their lives for the USA and the "greater good" - the kind of life giving that Mr McCain would have continued?

Oh and what about the destruction of other countries? Are you proud of that too?

Unbelievable.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Quoting VSLover (Reply 2):
watching it i was thinking THATS the john mccain i always liked (as a lib here) and the one that was shoved to the background my his campaign handlers over the past year.

Same here.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
And if he had given them that McCain instead of the right-leaning McCain, he probably would have had a different speech to give that night.

Would have made all the difference to me. I was really hoping to be able to vote for him since at least June - Palin and Charlie Black threw it all out the window.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):

That comment pretty much flew right over your head.

Everything goes over his head  Yeah sure

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 10):
Oh and what about the destruction of other countries?

What are you talking about man??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

luv2fly

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
McCain, in bowing out, was the McCain that many in this country had wanted. And if he had given them that McCain instead of the right-leaning McCain, he probably would have had a different speech to give that night.

Totally agree if he ran his campaign in the same fashion as in which he ended it, things might have been different.
You can cut the irony with a knife

usair320

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:56 am

Listen guys.....Even as a Democrat who supported Obama, I have great respect for senator McCain. He served our country, and has the scars to prove it. I would love to see him in the cabnet, because without Palin, He actully had some great ideas for this great nation (We do however strongly disagree on Iraq). He's a man for energy independance. He would make a great advisor on domestic issues.

stasisLAX

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 13):
Even as a Democrat who supported Obama, I have great respect for senator McCain. He served our country, and has the scars to prove it.

John McCain is an American hero. But his time has come and passed. It's time to turn the page and support the President-Elect.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

usair320

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 14):
John McCain is an American hero. But his time has come and passed. It's time to turn the page and support the President-Elect.

I voted for the president-elcect so I do support him. I'm trying to commend Senator McCain on his accomplishments. Palin however needs to go back to AK and hunt a Moose......

Confuscius

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
Perhaps he can end his political career on a high note such as; U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam?

The Hilton Hanoi Opera Hotel is a nice place to stay.

Ain't I a stinker?

MarSciGuy

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting Msl747 (Reply 3):
I was an Obama supporter, but I echo your sentiments about John McCain, he is truly a great man, and its too bad that some of that image got washed away in this election. The concession speech that he gave last night was magnificent and had the John McCain who spoke last night been the same one who ran for president, the outcome of the election might well have been different. I sincerely hope that Pres Obama reaches out to McCain to help heal some of the divides in this country.

I do as well, the McCain of the concession speech is the McCain I was avidly for in the NH primaries 8 years ago, eloquent, honorable and making perhaps one of the most impaortant speeches of his lifetime. It was a great speech and I, as an Obama supporter for the last several months, would have considered voting for him if the McCain that spoe last night had been the same McCain that had been campaigning....his handlers lost the race for him.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 5):

I was too. At the end of the day I think there is much mutual respect between the two.

I am hopeful he reconciles with McCain quickly, I think it will happen myself  Smile.
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Rara

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:30 am

For the largest part of the last 12 months, I was rather sure John McCain would be the next president of the United States. I can honestly say that I could live this prospect very well. Only in the late stages of his campaign did he begin to alienate me more and more - but that could be attributed to the people behind his campaign rather than his personality.

I hope he takes a well-deserved break now. I also hope he won't be bitter about losing - after all, he has a lifetime of service to look back on and did more than enough for his country.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Moose135

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:00 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 15):
Palin however needs to go back to AK and hunt a Moose......

Let's not have any of that moose-hunting talk, alright? That scares me!  

While I supported and voted for Barack Obama, I have always thought of John McCain as an honorable man. As a former military pilot, I respect the ordeals he faced while serving our country, and in the past, I could see myself supporting him for President. Unfortunately, the John McCain of 2000 wasn't running this year - he gave in to the ultra conservative wing of his party in order to win the nomination, and in the end, it cost him the election.

His concession speech last night was spot on - eloquent, respectful, unifying. As others have said, if the John McCain we saw last night was the one we saw the past year, things may have turned out differently. Here's hoping that all of us - Democrats, Republicans, Independents - can unite to work together for the future of our country. We have serious problems to solve and need serious people to solve them. Petty bickering and political posturing won't do the job.

[Edited 2008-11-05 20:01:57]
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Mir

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):
I was really hoping to be able to vote for him since at least June - Palin and Charlie Black threw it all out the window.

Palin was a disaster. They say that a VP choice will never win you the election, but can lose you the election. McCain picked Palin to help him win, and she ended up costing him (among other things).

For some reason, McCain saw the need to appeal to the right with the choice, when it was the moderates that he really needed to attract. Fortunately, I think Palin has come and gone from the Presidential stage. It would be a mistake for the GOP to try and run her in 2012 - she's a candidate of the past, not the future.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

sasd209

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 16):

Absolutely tasteless......not needed at all.

WunalaYann

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:23 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 16):

Of course. It was designed by French people!!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting SASD209 (Reply 21):
not needed at all.

I believe that not everything is about "need", especially when it comes to art. Concepts such as inspiration, ground-breaking, cutting edge are important, too.

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
McCain picked Palin

Actually, I do not believe this is true. I think she was forced onto him by the party (or some of its influential members) and that he would have picked someone else, probably more in line with his own maverick ways. Too bad.  Sad

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 19):
Petty bickering and political posturing won't do the job.

I guess half the threads on a.net's non-av don't do the job, then.  Wink

sasd209

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:32 am

""I believe that not everything is about "need", especially when it comes to art. Concepts such as inspiration, ground-breaking, cutting edge are important, too.""

Understood...I was more concerned about the context that comment was offered in; that was the impetus behind my reply.

[Edited 2008-11-05 22:34:02]

[Edited 2008-11-05 22:34:24]

PSA727

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:21 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 10):
Really? What about all the people literally giving their lives for the USA and the "greater good" - the kind of life giving that Mr McCain would have continued?

Oh and what about the destruction of other countries? Are you proud of that too?

So Obama doesn't want to send more troops to Afghanistan anymore? I missed that article
in the paper today.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!