Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

RE: Sarah Palin Aftermath..what We Didn't Know

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 pm

It appears the story is broadening, largely in part due to a previous agreement by an interviewer NOT to reveal information disclosed UNTIL AFTER the election...

A clip from the Today show with Meredith Viera...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27576202#27571162

"Wasilla Hillibillies on a Neiman Marcus shopping spree from Coast-to-Coast..."

...wow, that's powerful stuff..

BN747

rwsea

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 98):
Palin is back in Alaska, and I think the voters in Alaska will remove her from power in due time.

Ha! You're talking about the same electorate that's about to send a 7-time convicted felon to represent them in the Senate. I wouldn't give them that much credit.

slider

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 70):
She's the great white hope of the -true- paleoconservative party.

From one paleo-con to another, I'm with you. And Jindal, Paul Ryan, DeMint, scores of others do reflect a younger true conservatism.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 84):
My guess is that she was treated for an STD at some point in the past. In my opinion, that information should never be released unless that STD is HIV or Hepatitis B/C, all of which can significantly affect an individual's overall health. Other STD's are either not lethal or curable. HPV is really the only exception, but I'm sure she's got HPV; by age 40, essentially all women do. And with looks like those and the fact that she was married before, we know she wan't a blushing virgin on her wedding night.

In my opinion, such information should stay private.

Wow.

Whatever you think should stay private won't keep you from continuing the character assassination though, huh? And unfounded accusations of STDs? Are you serious?

Hold on- I'll get back to you after I make something up about Obama...

santosdumont

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 99):
Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 97):
And watching the news most of the nasty comments and mud-slinging came from the Mccain/Palin camp.

Just based on media buying volume there is little chance that this is true.

I'm afraid, RJ, that the two camps forgot the 11th Commandment. Indeed, the plot sickens! Apparently the Palin campaign had a mole in the McCain organization. According to the NYT, it was chief foreign policy adviser Randy Scheunemann. Scheunemann, senior McCain staff said, was feeding what one guy called a "constant stream of poison" against the top Republican candidate to none other than neocon darling Bill Kristol.

What's more, McCain's top men put the kibbosh on a bid by Palin to address the crowd gathered for the concession speech. That speaks volumes. Sure, tradition dictates that the defeated VP candidate not say anything; but hell, this race was supposed to be about breaking with business as usual once and for all, right? What's more, Palin's starpower alone among the Right wing rank-and-file dictated that she should have said something.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 99):
Did he not declare in Berlin that our nation is imperfect? Did he not live in the same neighborhood, vote in the same precinct, sit on the same boards, and have his political career launched in the living room of one of those terrorists?

It's that kind of screeching vitriol that lost the election for the Republicans. Unless you're ready to examine McCain's ties to Augusto Pinochet and G. Gordon Liddy in sober fashion, relegate that tired old riff to the back of the rack next to the LP copy of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Charles79

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:55 pm

I must say the tone of this thread is very surprising. Surprising because the right wing supporters who just a few days ago found nothing wrong with Palin now label her as the GOP's worst nightmare. Worst, now all of the sudden John McCain is not even a Republican. Sounds like hypocrisy if you ask me.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 76):
But for Governor Palin and Senator Clinton before her, the stereotype of "bitch" remains.

Separate topic but this bothers me a lot as well. Successful men are "driven", successful women are "bitches". Double standard if there's one.

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:04 pm

this video is particularly relevant now...I wonder who has the most regrets now?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1OY1XTMwDM

Asturias

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:14 am

Her... voice... oh I am so happy she isn't appearing on international TV any more. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

She's best kept in Alaska. They seem to like her. I wouldn't know, I could never get past the voice... gives me the shivers still.

asturias

Superfly

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:14 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 90):
Quoting Arrow (Reply 29):
Which tells me there's something there she doesn't want us to know about. Is it simply embarrassing? Or is it more than that?

Being from that state, it could either be Ophelia or Alaskan King.

Be more specific for those that aren't hip to the slang.  Wink
Perhaps she may have had an abortion?

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 83):
Proof? Considering the amount of aid he pledged individual countries there in their fight against aids as well as the reception he recieved across the continent this past summer, your comment seems kind of ridiculous.

Never said his policy in Africa was bad. He learned that after he took over the White House. I am referring to a comment he made before he was selected President.

AirCop

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:26 am

And the clothes story continues:
Maeve Reston and Seema Mehta
November 6, 2008
Reporting from Phoenix -- Sarah Palin left the national stage Wednesday, but the controversy over her role on the ticket flared as aides to John McCain disclosed new details about her expensive wardrobe purchases and revealed that a Republican Party lawyer would be dispatched to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in her possession.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...a-palin6-2008nov06,0,1115431.story

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 am

Hmmmm....

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 2):
Palin rejected the clothes the GOP bought for her, and all will be donated now that the election is over.

...now hold on a minute...

Quoting AirCop (Reply 109):
as aides to John McCain disclosed new details about her expensive wardrobe purchases and revealed that a Republican Party lawyer would be dispatched to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in her possession.

Both of these can't be true...

BN747

FruteBrute

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:09 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 110):

LOL! You didn't really think the diva would really cough up the clothes "to charity" did you? Not a chance in hell.

Besides, as if someone needing help that can't afford food, housing and clothes really needs threads from Nieman Marcus and Saks. LOL

FruteBrute

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:14 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 111):
The troops have what they need so we are supporting them. Now here is one for you, how is it patriotic to let your troops get within sight of victory and then pull them at the last minute and allow all their hard work and sacrafice to go down the drain? Yet that is what you and some others here propose, some on an almost daily basis.

LOL. Tell that to the Walter Reed victims.

Frankly, you're irrelevant. Your party has been repudiated. Deal with it. You have no one to blame except those who you have championed these past 8 years. Don't like it? Move to Canada.

Pyrex

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:23 am

DAMNIT! How did you find us out? Sorry, MD80, but I'm going to have to call up my friends at the Jewish World Conspiracy to get the folks at the Illuminati to have the black helicopters pay you a visit. Actually, just because we're friendly, I'll have them send in the UFO's, instead, so they won't kill you; they'll just remove your memories via anal probe. I'm terribly sorry about this, but you've uncovered the truth and we can't let that be known.

Damn, is the Bildeberg on vacation?

That post by MD80fanatic is worse than 10 Blackbird thread-starters...

stasisLAX

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 am

Sarah Palin may have temporarily left the national political stage, but now there's word that the controversy over her $150,000 plus wardrobe purchases and revelation that a Republican Party lawyer would be dispatched to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in her possession. According to the Los Angeles Times, several senior McCain campaign aides said they have recently discovered that Palin's traveling staff had used personal credit cards to spend $20,000 to $30,000 on additional wardrobe items for Palin and her family!         

Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...a-palin6-2008nov06,0,5597211.story

Put a fork in Governor Palin, she's done. All of her credibility has now evaporated, thanks to the McCain camp!

[Edited 2008-11-06 17:41:10]

RJdxer

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:56 am

Palin rejected the clothes the GOP bought for her

Republican Party lawyer would be dispatched to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in her possession.

Not necessarily. The campaign bought clothes of different sizes, she didn't try on all 150k worth that would take forever. Those that didn't fit she rejected outright. Some she probably didn't like, and the ones she had in her bag are probably the ones they are coming to get. Mountain out of molehill again.

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 113):
Your party has been repudiated

Really? With everything going your way your party couldn't garner more than 53% of the vote, couldn't get the 60 seats in the senate more than a few of your leaders said they would get, and lost some key issues that constituent supporters wanted to see passed but thanks to the Obama money vacum had trouble raising funds for. If that is repudiation then what do you call 2002 and 2004?

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 113):
Don't like it? Move to Canada.

Unlike some foolish liberals I never suggest that. You're free to live here and screw things up as badly as you wish. In a few years the pendulum will swing back and the middle ground voters, the ones that elected President Elect Obama will see that campaign promises are some of the most empty promises next to sweet nothings and hopefully the GOP will put up a true fiscal conservative.

jfk69

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 106):
this video is particularly relevant now...I wonder who has the most regrets now?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1OY1XTMwDM

Is that video relevant or is this one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYty1PgHEg

The Election is over.....WHO CARES ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

MOVE ON PEOPLE!!!!!!

WunalaYann

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 76):
Prior to that most of the governments income came from tarifs duties and imposts.

Which is essentially a tax on the final consumer. Any way we look at it, a tax is, well, a tax. I have never heard of patriotic or unpatriotic taxes, any more than I have heard about patriotic or unpatriotic daisies.

Again, even if you look at a state's core, bare-bone missions (security, justice, central banking and education), you still need to collect revenue (aka taxes) to support them. Or are you saying that these missions should not even be carried out by the state?  Smile

And as a side note, considering the guy who wrote this gem about paying taxes not being patriotic is seemingly a military person, you can't help but  banghead  hard against a wall.

AirCop

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 63):
She, herself, was seen coming in and out of Neiman's & Sak's in downtown Minneapolis during the RNC.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 116):
Not necessarily. The campaign bought clothes of different sizes, she didn't try on all 150k worth that would take forever. Those that didn't fit she rejected outright. Some she probably didn't like, and the ones she had in her bag are probably the ones they are coming to get. Mountain out of molehill again.

So now you're an expert of the purchase of her clothing..Somehow I have a feeling that Stlgph sources are a lot more credible whatever source you're using. Whatever, the fact that the RNC is sending a lawyer to Alaska to recover the clothing says volumes about her credibility.

With everything going your way your party couldn't garner more than 53% of the vote,

And the Republican candidate got 46%. This isn't golf, low score doesn't win.

couldn't get the 60 seats in the senate more than a few of your leaders said they would get,

I believe most experts stated that the Democrats would be lucky to get to 60; that figure included the two independents. But then again the fat lady hasn't sung yet, Georgia looks to have a run-off, and Coleman's lead continues to vaporize prior to the re-count.

Confuscius

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:15 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 29):
Which tells me there's something there she doesn't want us to know about. Is it simply embarrassing? Or is it more than that?

My guess is that she was treated for an STD at some point in the past.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 108):
Be more specific for those that aren't hip to the slang.

It could be this critter's little cousin.

j.mo

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
But now I realize something: the truth about her needs to be known. It needs to be known that she's a buffoon, a clown, a diva, and a dimwit. Nobody like her should be a leader, far less a VP.

With the exception of "she" and "Diva" this describes our current leader. Why wouldn't 53 million Bush Lovers vote for her?

JM

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:22 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 114):

Play dumb as much as you like...and your 'probablys and maybe's' don't cut it.

People see clearly what's breaking here..

Palin went out of her way claiming to 'the average, just like you' person, a simple hockey mom. Suddenly, she's exposed as going completely ape-sh*t shopping and buying up the best for herself and her family. Just as she was skimming from the state of Alaska (billing per diem while at home) and looking to bring her same greedy selfish habits -- to the national level, while hoping no one (like yourself) noticed.

She also hoped no one would notice that she's not much more educated than a 1st class high school slacker...

..but guess what? Some people did notice. And they began to ask questions..the press didn't want to seem too over zealous in 'exposing her' and Team McCain by not 'allowing full access to her' shielded her from those who wanted to know more.

She relentlessly attacked Obama and Biden.

Did Obama attack Palin....ever? No.. no he didn't, he questioned nothing about her.

She was in center stage, in the middle of spotlight...but could not be attacked by Obama while she assailed him with volley after volley -- all the while she was living up her character as a hypocrite. And Biden and Obama, for fear of appearing sexist, said absolutely nothing.

It is absolutely fair, that now...everything gets said. I certainly hope she steps back to the national stage...and on her own. Because this time, there will be no 'McCain' protectors and handlers. There will be no situation where no one can say anything against her because she's a woman (and/or fear of losing female votes). There will be no hiding of any kind..it'll be 'balls to the wal'l scrutiny and blow-for-blow attacks from whomever her opponent may be. And rightfully so.

You want the fame and acclaim...then you get exposed too, let's see what the real Sarah is made of. We've gotten a small glimpse..I've a feeling there's a whole lot more and more leaks OR as she continues to speak (herself)...good or bad, it will avail itself.

BN747

WarRI1

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:28 am

Obviously when McCain said that the blame was his, he may have been referring to taking Sarah as a running mate. Just a thought. They are now throwing her to the wolves according to the press tonight. The same people who recommended her. Not John McCain. Protect your owns fanny is the law of politics.

PSA727

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 121):
Did Obama attack Palin....ever? No.. no he didn't, he questioned nothing about her.

Actually he did, in a campaign ad questioning McCain's choice of VP in regards to helping him
with the economy ( a comment he made during the primaries). They used a shot of her from
the debate winking at the camera. It was definitely meant as a shot at her capabilities.

And this talk about Palin's shopping spree, let me put it this way...Palin had her own media
reporters travelling with her, she had her own secret service detail. Now if she were to go on
a high-end shopping spree would the media detail have not gone with her? Where's that
video at? And she cannot just sneak out of the hotel window and go "rogue" without the
secret service knowing, but more importantly allowing her to. Whoever is making these claims
needs to put their name to the story. It sounds more like a person who wants to preserve
their own political career by saying things like "it wasn't me, it was her".

Mir

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:51 am

She was responsible for 80% of his election result....period. To say anything less would be ignorant.

You are quite right. She can take 80% of the blame for his loss. Because she was the personification of everything that most of this country wasn't looking for. If she had never been on the ticket, we might well be looking at President-Elect McCain right now.

By the way, Terry Tate is back, and he has the good governor in his sights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kO9TtHYzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caGjG_9nFwY

-Mir

tsaord

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:53 am

So, the GOP scapegoat machine is in full effect. Im not a member of the GOP but liked Governor Palin. I hope she takes all of this as a learning experience.

dc863

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:03 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 125):
I hope she takes all of this as a learning experience.

She has I'm sure. By now Palin knows DC is a scum filled district. She's a tough cookie and with coaching and a bit more experience she'll be a force to be reckoned with. She connected with a lot of voters who liked her more than McCain, plus she can dish it out when the mud starts flying.

FruteBrute

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting Dc863 (Reply 126):
She has I'm sure. By now Palin knows DC is a scum filled district. She's a tough cookie and with coaching and a bit more experience she'll be a force to be reckoned with. She connected with a lot of voters who liked her more than McCain, plus she can dish it out when the mud starts flying.

Thank you for admitting that the Republicans are stupid and can be easy fooled by a few quips and rehearsed answers. After all that schtick has served the country so well these past 8 years.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE run Palin as the Republican nominee for President in 2012. We need 8 year full years to undo much of the damage that Bush has done. And I'm quite serious.

Confuscius

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:35 am

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 127):
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE run Palin as the Republican nominee for President in 2012.

Hope she selects Michele Bachman as her running mate. What a nightma...umm, dream GOP ticket!

RJdxer

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:53 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 118):
So now you're an expert of the purchase of her clothing..Somehow I have a feeling that Stlgph sources are a lot more credible whatever source you're using.

Nope, but at the 4:25 mark of the video in the OP of the thread Carl Cameron relates as to how the RNC bought a large wardrobe for her and some things didn't fit. Of course I'm sure you remember that since you watched the video,,,,you did watch the vid,,,,oops. Cue the blog site to refute!

Whatever, the fact that the RNC is sending a lawyer to Alaska to recover the clothing says volumes about her credibility.

It does? How? Have they accused her of stealing?

And the Republican candidate got 46%. This isn't golf, low score doesn't win.

That despite the steam rolling he got by the mainstream press. Imagine that!

Palin went out of her way claiming to 'the average, just like you' person, a simple hockey mom. Suddenly, she's exposed as going completely ape-sh*t shopping and buying up the best for herself and her family

Those are your words unless you've got a source.

She also hoped no one would notice that she's not much more educated than a 1st class high school slacker...

I seem to recall that right after the vice presidential debate the descriptions were just a little different.

Which of course is his job. Did you hear Sen. McCain talk about Sen. Biden?

dc863

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:01 am

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 127):
Thank you for admitting that the Republicans are stupid and can be easy fooled by a few quips and rehearsed answers. After all that schtick has served the country so well these past 8 years.

The Dems are no different.
Slogans and Tshirts isn't going to make any "CHANGE" but if you look at the crowds they're acting as if Obama is a god. He and his Chicago politicos are in for a massive shock, and a lot of people are already in line for their handouts.

FruteBrute

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:26 am

I think the appeal of people like Bush and Palin are because the "everyman" of the electorate that loves them, honestly think they themselves could be President. It's anti-intellectualism. From my experience these "bubbas" or "everymans" feel that there is a simple answer for everything. Ie, "bomb Iran back to the stone age", or "boycott China". They make huge decisions of what the country should do from the gut, with no sense of history, reactions, or fallouts possible. These people honestly think the old axiom that anyone can grow up to be President means truly anyone, including them. I've heard them make excuses for Palin & W by saying, "Well gee I didn't know that either, so I can't blame them they don't". It's unreal. They think that running for President doesn't require the candidate to actually be smart or informed. Scary.

TransIsland

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 6):
THAN one that has no idea where anything on the planet is.

Now that's unfair... she knew you could see Russia from Alaska!  Wink

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 32):
I learnt that Africa was a continent when I was about 8 years old in school.

That give's me an idea... Sarah Palin on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" - in the play offs with the blonde bimbo from American Idol who thought Europe was a country... what's her name again?

STT757

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 34):
Seeing as Obama's resume could fit on a postcard with room leftover, we just got a President who we know very little about

Yeah what an unimpressive resume he has,

Graduate of Columbia University
Graduate of Harvard Law School
President of the Harvard Law Review
Practiced Law as a Civil Rights Attorney
Illinois State Senator
Professor Univeristy of Chicago School of Law
US Senator

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 123):
And this talk about Palin's shopping spree, let me put it this way...Palin had her own media
reporters travelling with her, she had her own secret service detail. Now if she were to go on
a high-end shopping spree would the media detail have not gone with her? Where's that
video at? And she cannot just sneak out of the hotel window and go "rogue" without the
secret service knowing, but more importantly allowing her to.

Being married I know exactly how this happens, ONLINE SHOPPING. I've seen this issue with many Women I've worked with, Online shopping addicts. She uses the GOP credit card and just goes nuts on Neiman Marcus, Sacks, Bloomingdales website. An aide then goes and picks up the clothes.

JakeOrion

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:24 pm

You know, just a thought...

If she went out and bought cheap suits (like < $100 ones) I'm sure people would bash her for how cheap she is.

So either way, she can't win. Because she has that (R) in front of her name she is automatically hated by many.

Well, I hate all of you because you have the (D) in front of your name. Is that considered fair? By the logic of this thread, it is.

So there you have it. Even I don't know you personally, I hate you. Everything about you, the way you dress, your views, etc etc etc.

Give me a break.  Yeah sure

columba

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 138):
So either way, she can't win. Because she has that (R) in front of her name she is automatically hated by many.

I guess nobody hates her because she has the (R) in front of her name, but so did Bloomberg and Guiliani and so does McCain and nobody hates them.

Palin was the worst candidate for McCain. McCain stands for the old Republican party not affected to the religious right.

Palin was a candidate that proved that she is not capable of becoming VP or President that is all.
Of course you can blame SNL and the Daily Show for making fun of her that but if she would have not been such an easy target this would have not been possible.

Believe me the US are far better off without a Vice President Sarah Palin - let´s hope that the Repubican Party has learned from that and will find a new beginning and start anew with fresh faces.
Maybe they even find their own David Cameron :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron

SpeedBirdA380

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:55 pm

If she went out and bought cheap suits (like < $100 ones) I'm sure people would bash her for how cheap she is.

Or she could have just used good judgement and brought reasonably priced suits. That way she would look good and not be accused of being greedy.

I admit I am not fond of Sarah Palin but I actually have a lot of respect for Mccain. And watching his concession speech I actually felt sorry for him. He came across as a true gentleman.

But like a lot of people have said already its done with and over now. In 4 years you guys in America will have to go through it all again! As for Palin whatever you think about her I would not count her out yet. She has a lot of appeal to many Americans and charm and charisma can take you a long way in politics.

yowza

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:03 pm

You know, just a thought...

Give me a break.

I think you're missing the point. The election is over, this is not left vs right anymore. This is about an APPALLING lack of knowledge. From what I can tell a lot of this has been leaked by McCain aides, are you going to accuse them of being anti-republican too?

YOWza

JakeOrion

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 139):
but so did Bloomberg and Guiliani and so does McCain and nobody hates them.

Not Republicans. Gotta be kidding. Sure, the (R) is next to the name but they are anything but Conservative Republicans.

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 140):
Or she could have just used good judgement and brought reasonably priced suits. That way she would look good and not be accused of being greedy.

Can we get Biden's price spending on his suits too, just for an example?

Quoting YOWza (Reply 141):
From what I can tell a lot of this has been leaked by McCain aides, are you going to accuse them of being anti-republican too?

YES! Because believe it or not, McCain and his goons are not Republican. Lets see...McCain, hmmm vote for the bailout bill when Conservatives said not too...oh, lets not forget that Gang of 14 incident where he sold out the Republican party. Shall I continue?

Palin had her fair share of faults, but I have nothing against the woman. Sure, she lacks sufficent knowledge on the Hill, but didn't someone say earlier that Clinton was the same?

So its OK for Clinton, not ok for her? Am I the only one seeing a contradictory here? You all threw her under the rug before even giving her a chance, that is the simple plain fact you can't deny. There are hundreds of anti-Palin threads on here to prove this. Shall I begin showing the threads?

Charles79

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Interesting commentary on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS....brown.palin/index.html#cnnSTCText

I agree with the author; Palin was part of McCain's campaign for only 9 weeks, yet they are trying to make us believe that she was the sole reason why they lost the election. Again, I ask, where is McCain in all of this? Why doesn't he come out and publicly ask his staff to stop launching these attacks against her? And as the author said, if indeed she was so unqualified then why tell us the opposite, why try and tell us that she was ready to be President?

The more this sh*t drags on the less likely I am to vote for the GOP again, ever. If anything, I have more respect for her now, so far she has avoided going down to their level and refuses to acknowledge their attacks. Now who's showing class?

AirportSeven

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 139):
I guess nobody hates her because she has the (R) in front of her name, but so did Bloomberg and Guiliani and so does McCain and nobody hates them.

I have quite a bit of disdain for Giuliani, not because of the R after his name, but because he is a sneering, vile, poisonous toad. HIs performance at the Republican Convention was a disgrace to American politics.

AirportSeven

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 143):
Again, I ask, where is McCain in all of this? Why doesn't he come out and publicly ask his staff to stop launching these attacks against her?

Again you ask and again I'll say that McCain had lost control of his own campaign by the time Palin was chosen for his running mate. McCain wanted Lieberman, why did he wind up with Palin? He had no idea who Sarah Palin was. He wasn't being truthful when he said he consulted her on foreign policy "many times". He barely spoke to her on the campaign trail.

Why would he sacrifice his remaining political capital on a loose cannon who sank his last shot a the presidency? Palin was a thug who was brought on board to stir up the hate of the far right wing (who already hated John McCain). After the collapse and failure of the McCain campaign, the sharks in the water started feeding on each other. McCain is smart enough to stay out of all that mess.

Charles79

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 142):
Not Republicans. Gotta be kidding. Sure, the (R) is next to the name but they are anything but Conservative Republicans

This is starting to become a tiresome trend now. Republicans keep saying that McCain, Bloomberg, Guiliani, even Bush are not really Republicans. In fact, I've heard many say that there aren't many "real" Republicans left in the party. Could it be that these pseudo-Republicans actually represent the values of the majority of the party better than the "real" Republicans? I have to ask, because all through the campaign we had folks lecture us about how McCain wasn't a real Republican and that's why they had to bring in Palin...yet McCain was elected as the nominee by the Republican voters!!! Perhaps the followers wanted to see their party adopt a more center/moderate tone instead of the divisive, religious- and moral-centered message of the Bush gang. Just a thought....

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 146):
again I'll say that McCain had lost control of his own campaign by the time Palin was chosen for his running mate

Wait, so McCain couldn't keep control of his own campaign yet we had very vocal members of this forum telling us that he was the best choice to run the country? And now they are even saying that he's not a "real" Republican. I don't get it; 72 hours ago he represented exactly what this country needed, now he's not a legit member of the party and wasn't even able to manage his own staffers. Either we were being sold damaged goods or they simply rallied on whoever was against Obama. Not an honest thing to do in my opinion, but what do I know, I'm not registered with either party.

767Lover

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 148):
I fully disagree. If anything, it was Palin that solely kept McCain from getting fully steamrolled.

OK. You probably know more Republicans that I do, and what they were thinking. The few I know and talked to about it said that she made it really difficult for them to vote for McCain. The only thing that made them do so was gambling on the fact that she would never become president. At the same time, I know several people who were ambivalent about Obama and McCain both but it was Palin that swayed them to vote for Obama.

Arrow

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 152):
But I guess I'm just selfish and egocentric.

No, you are just making choices, and international travel is clearly not a priority. That's all I'm saying. You argued (and continue to argue) that the reason you don't travel abroad is the cost, but if you are "dinks" as we call them here (double income, no kids) then I'd be willing to bet that there's lots of other stuff (beyond living expenses) you do spend money on, by choice.

This is largely cultural. Talk to the average Brit, Aussie or Kiwi (or Canadian for that matter) and you'll find that foreign travel is a huge priority. I run into these folks on the ski hills all the time. For Aussies and Kiwis it's a right of passage (maybe because they are so far away from just about anything else, save Antarctica) to hit the road.

And you sure don't need to spend $3000/wk. Like I said -- priorities. I don't think I've ever done a trip (Europe, Australia) that hit me that hard -- not even trips to Hawaii when the dollar was at 65 cents.

StuckInCA

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 144):
That doesn't seem to stop Aussies and Kiwis, though. Or Canadians, for that matter.

It's not a matter of cost (after all, the US is the wealthiest nation with said wealth quite reasonably spread out), but of culture.

I agree with this. American culture doesn't place great importance on traveling abroad as it seems they do in those countries.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 144):
The US is more self-centered than most other developed nations, that's all.

That's BS. There are many factors. The vastness and diversity of traveling within the US and the absolute lack of paid vacation time among them.

I may be mistaken, but my impression is that, with regard to Aussies, it surely helps their ability to spend a lot of time abroad (in Western Europe anyway) that they can legally work in the UK, right? When they (as young travelers) run out of cash, they can go work for a few weeks. US citizens can not. Is the same true for Canadians?

I've traveled abroad fairly extensively for someone my age and if it's possible to describe the citizens of a country (citizens - - not government's foreign policy) as "self-centered" I wouldn't apply it to the US. In fact, I'd say every Western European country has citizens who fit that description more accurately. I don't mean that as an insult - - it's just the truth.

AirportSeven

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 146):
Wait, so McCain couldn't keep control of his own campaign yet we had very vocal members of this forum telling us that he was the best choice to run the country? And now they are even saying that he's not a "real" Republican. I don't get it; 72 hours ago he represented exactly what this country needed, now he's not a legit member of the party and wasn't even able to manage his own staffers. Either we were being sold damaged goods or they simply rallied on whoever was against Obama. Not an honest thing to do in my opinion, but what do I know, I'm not registered with either party.

Yeah, pretty much all of that. Hypocrisy, lies, back-stabbing. We were supposed to vote that circus into office?

diamond

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 138):
Interesting commentary on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS....brown.palin/index.html#cnnSTCText

I agree with the author; Palin was part of McCain's campaign for only 9 weeks, yet they are trying to make us believe that she was the sole reason why they lost the election. Again, I ask, where is McCain in all of this? Why doesn't he come out and publicly ask his staff to stop launching these attacks against her? And as the author said, if indeed she was so unqualified then why tell us the opposite, why try and tell us that she was ready to be President?

The more this sh*t drags on the less likely I am to vote for the GOP again, ever. If anything, I have more respect for her now, so far she has avoided going down to their level and refuses to acknowledge their attacks. Now who's showing class?

Here's a video of the same editorial:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/06/campbell.brown.palin/index.html

She does make some valid points. The people who are blaming Palin are the very people who vetted, recommended and then selected her as a "best choice" for McCain to name as his running mate. So in blaming her, they're shifting attention away from the fact that they picked her.

Her political views are the polar opposite of mine, and she was under-qualified to campaign, let alone hold office. But it's sad to see her being used 9 weeks ago for who she is, and now to be trashed for who she is.

yowza

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 137):
YES! Because believe it or not, McCain and his goons are not Republican.

Well in my opinion they are truer to certain facets of republicanism than Bush and company.

Lets see...McCain, hmmm vote for the bailout bill when Conservatives said not too...oh, lets not forget that Gang of 14 incident where he sold out the Republican party. Shall I continue?

So all this chatter about him being the right guy for the job because he's a "maverick" is all great till he fail then all of a sudden that backbone becomes betrayal?

You all threw her under the rug before even giving her a chance

Actually she did that herself, you've seen some of the interviews...

There are hundreds of anti-Palin threads on here to prove this. Shall I begin showing the threads?

A man much wiser than myself once said that consensus was the first pillar of democracy.

YOWza

slider

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 146):
Here's a video of the same editorial:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/06/campbell.brown.palin/index.html

She does make some valid points. The people who are blaming Palin are the very people who vetted, recommended and then selected her as a "best choice" for McCain to name as his running mate. So in blaming her, they're shifting attention away from the fact that they picked her.

That's classic CYA and it happens on both sided of the aisle.

It's also gutless, which is why there is Operation Leper--to expose the unprincipled chickenshit campaign inside the beltway people that would eat their own for the sake of perpetuating their own power or furthering their own careers instead of the good of the party. Steve Schmidt, Nicole Wallace being the biggest frauds.

THIS is also exactly why Palin is being attacked--because she denounces that machinery. That corrupt, entrenched machinery and the apparatus that sustains it. She's a threat to some who even call themselves Republicans.

Arrow

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 146):
So in blaming her, they're shifting attention away from the fact that they picked her.

I agree with this. They didn't kick the tires, look under the hood, or go for a test drive, they just reacted emotionally to the great lines.

But don't put Palin in the category of well-intentioned innocent victim. She worked very hard to convince the DC Republican power brokers -- you know, the ones she then trashed every chance she got -- that she would be a good VP running mate. The anonymous Republican strategists think they were flim-flammed, and they're just getting even.

Maybe they want to make sure no one else gets flim-flammed, because this lady isn't done in spite of her most recent public comments. If she comes back having thoroughly educated herself, I'll rethink my opinion. But ya know what? I don't believe she thinks her widely-based ignorance was a problem. After all, she made it to the governor's igloo in Alaska without it being a problem.

It will be interesting to see how she fares when that natural gas pipeline she takes credit for is once again put on the shelf because of poor economics.

[Edited 2008-11-07 10:57:46]