Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

santosdumont

RE: Sarah Palin Aftermath..what We Didn't Know

Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 199):
Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 198):
Lose their job and/or damage prospects for a future one? Very likely. It's a calculus that the source has to weigh out. You have to remember that politics is a bloodsport.

Then that should be the chance they take by speaking out. If we are not talking about whistle blowing or some other sort of story that carries legal or security ramifications, then Cameron should have named the names.

Contrary to popular belief, some journalists still have a sense of ethics. It's part of the agreement with your source: he/she gives you the info, you leave the source's name out. How long was "Deepthroat"'s identity a secret?

Disagree as I might with Fox, the fact that Cameron reported the info leads me to believe that he checked out the story. It's his reputation on the line. I don't think he would do Page 6-style gossip.

RJdxer

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:44 am

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 200):
Contrary to popular belief, some journalists still have a sense of ethics.

Evidently not Mr. Cameron or any of the others for them to run stories with sensational accusations that are backed by "anonymous" sources. There used to be a name for this kind of journalism. It was called "yellow" journalism.

How long was "Deepthroat"'s identity a secret?

With what he told Wooward and Bernstien he could have been arrested and put on trial so that falls back on whistle blowing. These stories are not whistle blower stories in that the name needs to be protected to keep them from getting into legal trouble.

FruteBrute

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:27 am

At this point, honestly Gov Palin lost. Maybe she will be back in the future, maybe not. Frankly, it's time to move on. The election is over, we won, and we have a crap load of problems to deal with. Who cares if she did or didn't spend $200,000 on clothes. We have the next 4 years to concentrate on and try to fix a number of things. Let's focus on that Democrats! If the Republicans want to fight about who lost the McCain the election and tear themselves apart in the process, let them.

Let's worry about the big stuff.

luv2fly

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:32 am

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 202):
Who cares if she did or didn't spend $200,000 on clothes.

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 202):
Let's worry about the big stuff.

$200,000 to me is BIG stuff.

FlyPNS1

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 193):
Defense spending is not discretionary spending. In fact defense spending is one of the few mandated expenditures in the Constitution.

While the constitution does mandate defense spending, it does not dictate how much money we should spend. Technically, we could spend $100 on defense and meet the Constitutional mandate. The actual amount budgeted is at the discretion of Congress and the President, hence DoD is a discretionary line item. As you know, the same is not true of mandatory spending like Social Security.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 203):

Why? Unless it was your donations to the campaign that paid for the clothes, why does it matter? I'm not a Palin fan either, but I really don't care how much of someone elses money she spends on clothes. It's not like she used tax dollars.

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 203):

Yes, but as long as it is private money, I don't have a problem with it.

As a politician, Mrs. Palin offends me on just about every level, but if the RNC felt she needed a wardrobe make-over, it's their party, their money.

I'm not exactly clear why her husband needed silk boxer shorts, and if, as some reports say, she and her husband went on a shopping rampage, someone from the RNC should have jumped on it.

Presumably, hopefully, the RNC or the campaign managers knew what she was doing and where she was. If they let her loose in Nieman Marcus with a credit card I don't think she can be blamed for the result.

mariner

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 205):
I'm not exactly clear why her husband needed silk boxer shorts, and if, as some reports say, she and her husband went on a shopping rampage, someone from the RNC should have jumped on it.

Presumably, hopefully, the RNC or the campaign managers knew what she was doing and where she was. If they let her loose in Nieman Marcus with a credit card I don't think she can be blamed for the result.

That's not the way things are done in these circles. Accounts are established... you are told that you (Palin) have access 'to get what you "need"..

...It is expected that one (a Governor, in this case) would be familiar with the practice of 'discretion', restraint, control and realization that people/public are watching you.

It's like you give a teen, $500 and say go shopping for school items.

If Kid A returns a pair of "$425 pair sneakers" and a couple of sweatshirts.

..and Kid B returns with a sh*tload of clothes...

You now know how responsible your kid is. Palin was from the school of Kid A. She did not practice what she preached.

BN747

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:54 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 206):
Accounts are established... you are told that you (Palin) have access 'to get what you "need"..

Someone - obviously - gave her access to the money. If there was some kind of limit, she managed to vault over it.

Who is the fool - the one who spent or the one who gave her the money to spend?

She did not practice what she preached.

Whether she is hypocritical not nor is a whole different issue.

mariner

bok269

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 207):

The woman is running for the second highest office in the land. Do you really think that she should need to have limits placed on her going shopping? If you can't trust her going shopping, how could you ever trust her with the world's most powerful military*?

*Before I get flamed, yes I am aware that the VP is not Commander-in-chief. However, any VP candidate needs to be able to handle the role of president, should he ever become incapacitated.

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 208):
Do you really think that she should need to have limits placed on her going shopping?

No, I don't, as I made clear in my first post on this.

I don't know why anyone is complaining about the expenditure.  confused 

mariner

WunalaYann

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:54 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 144):
I may be mistaken, but my impression is that, with regard to Aussies, it surely helps their ability to spend a lot of time abroad (in Western Europe anyway) that they can legally work in the UK, right? When they (as young travelers) run out of cash, they can go work for a few weeks. US citizens can not. Is the same true for Canadians?

I do not have the answer to your question, but if I may I will point out that it is up to the US voters to push their elected representatives to engage with other nations so that American citizens can go travel and work abroad more easily.

This is something America as a nation can (and in my humble opinion, should) do.

As far as I know, American citizens are not black-listed in Europe or Australia but I definitely agree with you that those administration hurdles between Western countries are just one big embarrassment and are simply a very efficient way to discourage people from exploring other horizons.

For what it is worth, 7 years ago I applied for a 90-day working visa in the the US, which I thankfully got, but it was not a day at the beach either... But it was worth my effort and money a thousand times over.

Smile

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:23 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 207):
Accounts are established... you are told that you (Palin) have access 'to get what you "need"..

Someone - obviously - gave her access to the money. If there was some kind of limit, she managed to vault over it.

Giving money to a fool...the outcome be expected (and predicted)..

..BUT vast sums of money made available to a potential individual to preside with great authority and decision making...is a true test of judgement and discretion.

Palin acted like 'starving man who stumbled upon an over-turned food truck'...she went nuts with her access to that money instead of conducting herself like a wise, cautioned adult who's being 'tested and watched.' Had she shown fiscal restraint OR not bragged continuously about being an every day average 'hockey mom'...she would not be trying to defend actions/herself today.

Mariner, monetary trust is given to 'far lesser executives' across the country and the world on a daily basis...they that a good deal of 'responsibility' comes with that and therefore act accordingly. A person's 'own common sense' even tells them 'careful with your next step'...

BN747

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 211):
Mariner, monetary trust is given to 'far lesser executives' across the country and the world on a daily basis...

I'm not arguing any of that.

When I work in Hollywood, I know exactly what my budgets are, how much I can spend, how much I will be reimbursed.

I also know that if I overspend - without a valid reason - I shall have to cover it.

In this case, none of the standard rules seem to have applied. If there were "limits" no constraint was put on Mrs. Palin's access to money.

I think Mrs. Plain was totally ill-equipped for the high position for which she was being prepared, but that isn't my decision.

The RNC approved the choice of her, and, presumably, approved the purchases. If they did not, the purchases either could not have been made or should have been immediately returned.

mariner

santosdumont

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 201):
Contrary to popular belief, some journalists still have a sense of ethics.

Evidently not Mr. Cameron or any of the others for them to run stories with sensational accusations that are backed by "anonymous" sources.

But doesn't it give you pause that both the LA Times and Fox -- two outlets with ostensibly opposite agendas -- went with essentially the same story?

Like I said, Fox isn't the Weekly World News; they wouldn't air something against Palin unless they knew that the story was airtight.

And I go back to the concession speech. Doesn't it strike you the least bit odd that after all the money and time invested in Palin's image, she didn't utter one word?

Revelation

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 7):
One senior aide said that Nicolle Wallace had told Palin to buy three suits for the convention and hire a stylist. But instead, the vice presidential nominee began buying for herself and her family%u2014clothes and accessories from top stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.

Everyone knows not to hand a woman a credit card and tell her to go buy some nice clothes and get a hairdo!

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 7):
According to two knowledgeable sources, a vast majority of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who was shocked when he got the bill.

LOL! A fool and his money are soon parted...

Seems like Palin learned well from Sen. Ted Stevens: Grab with both hands, not just one.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 45):
Why? The election is OVER. Done. Kaput. Why do we need to continue bashing the losing party, and especially, this woman?

Maybe to learn from mistakes?

Seems the GOP doesn't.

Sarah Palin was the female Dan Quayle, just prettier and dumber.

She wasn't brought in to bolster the Conservative wing of the party, she was brought in for sex appeal, plain and simple. No one would/could say that in the media, but it didn't escape the attention of everyone else.

If she was brought in to bolster the Conservatives, why did McCain knowingly bring in a person with political corruption issues and with a teenage daughter about to have an out-of-wedlock child?

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 57):
The fact that Dems left wing put the knife to her neck within minutes of the announcment clearly tells that the Dems thought it also.

So, exactly who would have the Dems not "knifed"?

RJdxer

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 204):
While the constitution does mandate defense spending, it does not dictate how much money we should spend.

It says that the government shall provide for the common defense. $100 dollars is not going to do that. $500 billion may be too much. But providing for the common defense is mandated and that is left to political leaders of the time to decide as it should be.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 204):
As you know, the same is not true of mandatory spending like Social Security.

Social Security is only mandatory by law, not by the Constitution. It could be done away with tomorrow (wishful thinking) by two votes and a signature. Defense spending can never be written off.

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 213):
But doesn't it give you pause that both the LA Times and Fox -- two outlets with ostensibly opposite agendas -- went with essentially the same story?

Like I said, Fox isn't the Weekly World News; they wouldn't air something against Palin unless they knew that the story was airtight.

You mean like this story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

Again, if no national security or other sensitive, legal, or other issues are involved, using an anonymous source is the yellow journalists out.

And I go back to the concession speech. Doesn't it strike you the least bit odd that after all the money and time invested in Palin's image, she didn't utter one word?

No, even though I didn't see it it doesn't bother me. I don't know why it does you. I can't remember the breck kid or Sen. Liberman making any great concession speech after their defeats so why get all worked up about this one?

santosdumont

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 215):

No, even though I didn't see it it doesn't bother me. I don't know why it does you. I can't remember the breck kid or Sen. Liberman making any great concession speech after their defeats so why get all worked up about this one?

Who's talking about Edwards or Lieberman? In VP races, there was before Palin and after Palin. Comparing any other VP hopefuls with her is like comparing a victrola with an I-Pod.

Palin was supposed to the VP candidate that broke the mold...she was arguably the higher-profile candidate on the Republican ticket, and she presumably captured the imagination of mavericky voters. She was the star, never afraid to speak her piece.

All those resources poured into playing up her image, and she doesn't utter one peep. If things were hunky dory between the two camps, that just would not add up.

You mean like this story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

Again, if no national security or other sensitive, legal, or other issues are involved, using an anonymous source is the yellow journalists out.

Apples and oranges. Cameron got material from the horse's mouth. Why would he and an outlet that O'Reilly never tires of heaping scorn on (The L.A. Times) report the same story? About a Republican, mind you.

Who says sensitive issues aren't involved? Can you imagine the favors that are owed all around?

Charles79

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Unfortunately this is becoming commonplace RJ, even in non-political news. While GM and Chrysler were engaging in talks about a possible merger just recently nearly all of the reports kept quoting unnamed sources, because the topic was "confidential"...

...of course, no one speaks off the record or on anonymous condition when they are taking credit for something they didn't do, now do they?

On a side note, it seems like Gov Palin really made an impression. For someone who was "unqualified" she always pulled in bigger crowds than McCain and nearly a week after the election she still gets more news time than the Senator. Here we got 215 replies on her topic and none for McCain....on ideology I didn't see her eye to eye but I have to hand it to her, she made a firm impression on the American psyche to last for a while.

RJdxer

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 216):
Who's talking about Edwards or Lieberman? In VP races, there was before Palin and after Palin. Comparing any other VP hopefuls with her is like comparing a victrola with an I-Pod.

That, unfortunately, is sad byproduct of this day and age. Rather than decide whether someone is up to the task based on experience and ability we decide based on charisma and "star" power. Regardless, by the next Presidential election cycle most people will have to be prompted to remember Gov. Palin. We are continuing to experience ADD on a national scale. I would disagree with your assumption that the comparison of victrola and i-pod is valid.

Cameron got material from the horse's mouth.

How do we know that considering it's an anonymous horse. What has come out since then to back up the charges? Have those lawyers ever shown up in Alaska?

Who says sensitive issues aren't involved?

Sensitive meaning intelligence gathering or other technical means.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 217):
While GM and Chrysler were engaging in talks about a possible merger just recently nearly all of the reports kept quoting unnamed sources, because the topic was "confidential"...

And those would be legal issues that could affect stock price and negotiation. Different story about clothes, shoes, and attitude.

santosdumont

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 218):
Cameron got material from the horse's mouth.

How do we know that considering it's an anonymous horse.

You can always e-mail him and ask him if he stands by his story. I suppose that's one advantage of the Internet age.

RJdxer

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 219):
You can always e-mail him and ask him if he stands by his story. I suppose that's one advantage of the Internet age.

And of course he will, but that does not make it any more accurate.

luv2fly

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 218):
That, unfortunately, is sad byproduct of this day and age. Rather than decide whether someone is up to the task based on experience and ability we decide based on charisma and "star" power. Regardless, by the next Presidential election cycle most people will have to be prompted to remember Gov. Palin. We are continuing to experience ADD on a national scale. I would disagree with your assumption that the comparison of victrola and i-pod is valid.

I hve to both disagee and agree with ya! Yes they should have picked a different person and not one based on looks and the proposed ability to deliver a much needed segment, i.e. NRA and right to life voters. Though what I disagree about is people forgetting Palin! She is going to need a PR miracle to turn her opinion arouind.

FruteBrute

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 221):
Though what I disagree about is people forgetting Palin! She is going to need a PR miracle to turn her opinion arouind.

Nah. I work in advertising. Granted I don't work on political campaigns, but if she were a brand I could turn it around in 4 years time, no problem. The American memory is notoriously short. Assuming she takes Ted Stevens seat, and keeps its and follows Hillary Clinton's example she could probably be ready in 4 years time, and most certainly in 8 years.

mt99

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 222):
but if she were a brand I could turn it around in 4 years time, no problem. The American memory is notoriously short.

The American People haven't been convinced that GM and Ford makes dependable cars regardless of millions poured into advertising.

Its hard to change perceptions. Specially if Tina Fey is still around..

FruteBrute

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 223):
The American People haven't been convinced that GM and Ford makes dependable cars regardless of millions poured into advertising.

Well they still make crap for the most part. But the Big 3's advertising has sucked for decades. When's the last memorable TV commercial you've seen for a domestic brand? VW excels at it. But the Big 3 don't really even know what their brands stand for. GM should really be 3 nameplates total.

mt99

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 224):

Well they still make crap for the most part.

The problem in selling-Palin (hey it rhymes) is that she is same adjective you are calling GM cars. That will not change.

Then again you get products like "Head-On" which are incredibly sold based on publicity alone...

luv2fly

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 225):
The problem in selling-Palin (hey it rhymes) is that she is same adjective you are calling GM cars. That will not change.

Falin - Palin also rhymes. Though in time she could be turned around, though the American people will still remember the bumbling Palin and the sound bytes live on, that is for sure.

bok269

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 209):
I don't know why anyone is complaining about the expenditure.   

Because for the entirety of the campaign She and McCain touted themselves as economically responsible and ready to cut excess spending. If she can't be fiscally responsible in Nieman Marcus, how could she possibly be fiscally responsible in Washington?

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 227):
Because for the entirety of the campaign She and McCain touted themselves as economically responsible and ready to cut excess spending. If she can't be fiscally responsible in Nieman Marcus, how could she possibly be fiscally responsible in Washington?

I understand all of that, but - one mo' time - someone gave her access to the money. Mrs. Palin was not in charge of RNC finances and I doubt she had $150,000 in her purse.

So whomever was in charge of the money should cop the blame.

If there was a limit, how come she was able to vault over it? Was she even made aware of a limit? If there was not a limit, perhaps there should have been.

If it was all done by invoice or if she presented bills for payment, someone still had to authorize them and I am guessing that the RNC was in love with their new star candidate and did not exercise proper restraint.

If it all came as a huge surprise to the RNC accountants and big-wigs, then they're the ones who were not doing their jobs.

mariner

bok269

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 228):

Per the original source she was told to get six outfits and came back with a bill for $150,000.

PSA727

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 229):
Per the original source she was told to get six outfits and came back with a bill for $150,000.

There's no evidence, other than an anonymous sources, that she went shopping herself.
Now given the press detail assigned to her, do you not think that we would have seen video
footage of Palin on her shopping spree? After all, we saw her "shopping" at the pumpkin
patch, at the ice cream shop, at the Philly cheese steak shop. Now there are numerous
people on record who worked closely with Palin refuting these claims. I guess those don't
have any credibility because it's not as juicy of story.

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 229):

And obviously someone authorized the payment of the money. They could have demanded that the purchases go back.

Obviously, no one said no to her.

mariner

aerorobnz

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting BN747 (Thread starter):
that person in waiting to become President of the United States lacked the most basic of high school geographical skills.

If it's true then it's actually basic junior/primary/elementary school geography not high school....

StuckInCA

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 228):
I understand all of that, but - one mo' time - someone gave her access to the money. Mrs. Palin was not in charge of RNC finances and I doubt she had $150,000 in her purse.

So whomever was in charge of the money should cop the blame.

I understand your argument but having access (or permission) to spend that type of money doesn't necessarily absolve Palin of using judgment when making purchases.

I have the ability to order pretty much whatever I want at work. If it's (each purchase) less than $5000, I don't need any "permission" or approval. That said, I'm expected to apply sound judgment in expense purchases. I think Palin should have used similar judgment - - unless she isn't who she advertised herself to be.

baguy

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 pm

It beats me why McCain chose her! From what I hear - she has never been outside of the US (Not that is anything against her but I think someone who could have potentially been so high up in the government could do with a little more experience!) and she didnt even know where europe is! Imagine if something had happened to McCain and she had had to stand in! Sheesh!

BAguy

PSA727

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting Baguy (Reply 234):
It beats me why McCain chose her! From what I hear - she has never been outside of the US (Not that is anything against her but I think someone who could have potentially been so high up in the government could do with a little more experience!) and she didnt even know where europe is! Imagine if something had happened to McCain and she had had to stand in! Sheesh!

Uhm...who have you been listening to then? She visited troops in Kuwait and Germany.
And has also been to Canada and Mexico. I'm pretty sure she's heard of Europe and can
point to it on a globe.

Confuscius

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 235):
I'm pretty sure she's heard of Europe and can
point to it on a globe.

I'm sure Sen. McCain gave her pointers on Czechoslovakia.

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 233):
I understand your argument but having access (or permission) to spend that type of money doesn't necessarily absolve Palin of using judgment when making purchases.

That may be true, but, again, that isn't my issue. I think her judgment sucks on many levels, all of them much important than what she wears and who paid for it.

Politicians only have the power that "we" give to them, and all polticians try to push that power to the max.

President Bush wanted to go to war with Iraq. How many in Congress said no to that?

Compared with the enormous problems facing the US and the world, I cannot get exercised about a shopping spree - which only became an issue when it was leaked to the press.

If McCain/Palin had won the election, the shopping spree probably would not have been leaked or would have been an amusing anecdote, which is about all it is worth now.

mariner

StuckInCA

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 237):
Compared with the enormous problems facing the US and the world, I cannot get exercised about a shopping spree - which only became an issue when it was leaked to the press.

I'm in full agreement.

If McCain/Palin had won the election, the shopping spree probably would not have been leaked or would have been an amusing anecdote, which is about all it is worth now.

From where I sit, that's all it is. Water cooler talk.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm

The lesson from this 'meager' episode, Mariner..is not to get all warped about what she didor how. But how dangerously close America came selecting two people with some very very shaking judgement. As you said, America has some incredibly tough problems on it's hands now.

A President McCain would only wanna 'play Iraq & Afghanistan' right now...he'd push the economic crisis off onto some people of choosing and say 'get back to me when you've got something." McCain has admitted economics isn't his strong suit...so just being POTUS isn't gonna suddenly make him wanna sit in class and take notes...the indepth details would most likely bore him to death (literally) in the 1st 15 minutes of a half/all-day strategy session, then MORE and MORE. He's not with it.

Then the other one, She didn't even wanna study and prepare for a simple-ass interview, what on earth NOW makes anyone think she would have been a Grade A student to learn ANY ropes under McCain???

...yep, that's what it almost came down to! That is the path America almost took...

So the moral of the story...vet, vet and vet thoroughly! Screen your candidates and demand your media does it as well!

BN747

[Edited 2008-11-10 13:32:59]

mariner

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 239):
The lesson from this 'meager' episode, Mariner..is not to get all warped about what she didor how. But how dangerously close America came selecting two people with some very very shaking judgement.

I agree, but you're still taking this far beyond any point of mine.

As I've said before, I think she was dangerously ill-equipped to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. It is her policies that concern me, and the way she presents them, not some shopping spree.

If Senator McCain had been elected and then had a heart attack on January 20, the world would have been stuck with her.

However, given her background, I would expect an expensive make-over when she suddenly elevated to that (potential) high position, and so it is only the amount that was spent that is the issue.

And since that expensive make-over was privately funded by the RNC - I shrug.

mariner

mirrodie

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:51 pm

I have no really affinity for Palin.

That said, its anyone going to watch her hour long interview this evening with Susteren of Fox? Not sure if I am willing to miss CSI Miami.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 240):
I agree, but you're still taking this far beyond any point of mine.

As I've said before, I think she was dangerously ill-equipped to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. It is her policies that concern me, and the way she presents them, not some shopping spree.

Okay ..so her policies and her methods of delivery alarm you.

Her personal traits, habits and characteristics alarm many of others (myself included) because it is these things from which your concerns are born. The policies that you're concerned about have a starting place..and it comes from they way persons thinks -- which shows up in 'how they behave'...which then because repetitious and rote thus creating a predictable pattern (of which you can expect or apply to just about any situation).

That is why a minor detail like the shopping spree...or Not knowing that NAFTA stands for the North American Trade Agreement and or who's in North America. These are simple minor things...but for someone aiming at the number 2 & #1 jobs on the planet...these minor details now take on colossal importance..because they shed light on the possibility of a warehouse size of 'important' other facts that might not be known.

..and to some of us Americans who take national leadership very seriously...this is considered quite disturbing.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 240):

However, given her background, I would expect an expensive make-over when she suddenly elevated to that (potential) high position, and so it is only the amount that was spent that is the issue.

Yes and NO.

The amount becomes offensive (privately) when we are told 'She was told to go out an secure 3 dress (or outfits) for the RNC'. And next thing you know...we see her daughter, Piper, schlepping across the tarmac with a $700 Loius Vuitton handbag. Folks then start to wonder..of course when this was happening, the public had no idea of the details....but Team McCain knew almost immediately and must have been blowing gaskets while trying to keep it from McCain himself...who think would have blown a blood vessel.

It became an issue when the McCain Camp starting warring within and with the Palin Camp and both started to unravel..

Because it's an RNC issue and to you 'no' big deal...but yet her policies and delivery methods alarm you? That's your thing.. no one can take that from you. But people are much more than their policies and delivery methods.. what's scarier is 'where it all comes from'..how 'that' mind works. The now famed Shopping Spree show us exactly how it works.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 241):

That said, its anyone going to watch her hour long interview this evening with Susteren of Fox? Not sure if I am willing to miss CSI Miami.

Are you kidding..everyone will be watching...it'll be a ratings boom for Fox.

BN747

Superfly

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:36 am

GOP and Sarah Palin have to sort through her dirty laundry to determine what's really hers and what was bought with the Republican Party's money.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081110/ap_on_el_pr/palin#full

I'd like to see her in some lingerie she may have purchased on the GOP credit cards. Big grin

Dougloid

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:41 am

One thing Sarah Palin does show is that it's OK for housewives from small towns with babes in arms to be involved in government at all levels, and that's one more crack in the glass ceiling.

They don't all have to be angry barren old crones like Geraldine Ferraro and Hilary Clintstone.

And a Democrat who voted for Obama said that, fellows.

mariner

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 242):
..and to some of us Americans who take national leadership very seriously...this is considered quite disturbing.

I take American leadership very seriously, it affects the entire world. I am politically engaged and I make no secret that my politics are well to the left of center.

I also have an extraordinary respect for the American political system and a great love for America itself, which has given me some of the great opportunities of my life, multiple awards and rewards, some of my greatest friends and my life-partner, who is American.

My present life is only possible because of America.

But I'm from Hollywood, I'm used to very expensive make-overs and my point remains - the RNC let her do this. The RNC approved the choice of her. Many in the RNC are pushing her towards a greater political involvement in the future.

If her shopping spree reveals some aspect of her personality to you, I don't argue with that, but I see it differently, because it is exactly what I would have expected of her.

The RNC should have taken the blinkers off and expected it too.

mariner

N867DA

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 244):
They don't all have to be angry barren old crones like Geraldine Ferraro and Hilary Clintstone.

It's interesting that America shoots down women who run for VP! Poor Ferraro and now Palin for the Repubicans. It must be bad timing on their part.

As long as private money was spent to buy all these dresses and pretty little things, I don't see what the big deal is. People splurge once in a while, and unless she bought everything at a store that refuses to accept returns who cares? It's just a bit more work for a few minions.

During the election cycle I didn't like Palin at all. Now my Palin like-o-meter has swung the other way. She definitely doesn't deserve all this negative publicity. She ran. She fought a spirited campaign and lost. Now let her return to AK and do what she apparently does best -- govern. For all her shortcomings on the national stage, Alaskans seem to love her. That ought to be enough to lift her chin up and give her a bounce in her step so he can report to work each day.

luv2fly

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:08 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 233):
I think Palin should have used similar judgment - - unless she isn't who she advertised herself to be.

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 227):

Quoting Revelation (Reply 214):
Seems like Palin learned well from Sen. Ted Stevens: Grab with both hands, not just one.

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 235):
Uhm...who have you been listening to then? She visited troops in Kuwait and Germany.

Yes she did go there and that right there is sad that it is the total of her international travel. Not sure about Mexico and Canada, I would think Canada would be a given considering how close she is.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 245):
If her shopping spree reveals some aspect of her personality to you, I don't argue with that, but I see it differently, because it is exactly what I would have expected of her.

Well there is the old expression you can fool some of the people some of the time, not all of the people some of the time.

Superfly

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 246):
It's interesting that America shoots down women who run for VP! Poor Ferraro and now Palin for the Repubicans.

Though I wasn't old enough to vote in 1984, our family was strongly in favor of Mondale/Ferraro in 1984.

People splurge once in a while, and unless she bought everything at a store that refuses to accept returns who cares?

Like MC Hammer, you go out and buy the expensive clothes during your 15 minutes of fame.

She definitely doesn't deserve all this negative publicity.

At this point? I agree.
Up until last week, she deserved all the criticism directed at her.
Now that her 15 minutes of fame is over, she is best to be forgotten about and is nothing more than a footnote in political history.

mirrodie

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:21 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 242):
Are you kidding..everyone will be watching...it'll be a ratings boom for Fox.

All but me. I'm sure I'll read about it and see youtube clips about it all day tomorrow.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 244):
One thing Sarah Palin does show is that it's OK for housewives from small towns with babes in arms to be involved in government at all levels, and that's one more crack in the glass ceiling.

Actually, I'm not so sure. Palin, a right wing conservative, strong family values, Super Mom, rah, rah, rah.

But by simply deciding to run for the nomination, her absence from her family breaks down the family unit. It cuts to the very core of family values.

She might be the right person at the wrong time. Let her kids grow up and run again next time.