Aaron747
Topic Author

Slacker Nation? Young Japanese Say NO To Promotion

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 am

Yay! At a time when Japan needs better productivity and the ability to make sweeping changes to its employment system to compete with Asian neighbors, the young generation won't have any of it.

This actually isn't news to anyone who has been here more than awhile, as the laziness of young Japanese is readily apparent to all - a majority of young Japanese live with their parents, spend their savings on extravagant travel and/or shopping, and now, increasingly, shun responsibility at work. Older people here want to blame MTV, foreign influence and all that garbage, but the reality is, Japanese parenting has been crap for more than a generation. Kids are rarely kicked out of the house here and generally parents pay for everything they can. You reap what you sow....

Employment experts have begun to call these workers hodo-hodo zoku, or the "so-so folks." They say these workers, mostly in their 20s and early 30s, are sapping Japan's international competitiveness at a time when the aging country must raise its productivity to keep the economy growing.

"They'll ruin Japan with their lax work ethic," says labor consultant Yukiko Takita. "They're supposed to be leaders of the next generation."

Information-technology job consultants at Intelligence Ltd. report a recent rise in people looking to switch jobs not to get ahead, but to get out of positions they say are too demanding. "They find responsibilities a chore," says consultant Yoshihiko Fujita.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122548483530388957.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Ps76

RE: Slacker Nation? Young Japanese Say NO To Promotion

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 am

Hi,

I read a similar story about a year ago in the Herald Tribune but it was more on the kids who become really shy and finding ways to get them out of their parents' houses and more outgoing etc.

Personally I think I'd fit right it(!) I'm 31 here, live with my parents and like spending what money I do have on travel etc.. I'm also way too much so-so regarding work (when I've worked) probably for my own good. But hopefully it's just a phase which we'll all grow out of when we start making some kind of lives for ourselves (or so we hope!!).

P.

SkyyKat

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 am

My personal philosophy is "Work smart, not hard" I can under stand a lot of these kids, does not Japan have a huge corporate suicide rate? Too much work and responsibility equates to too much stress, this is why I think we are seeing a HUGE rise in young entrepreneurs around the globe. They do not want to be told what to do, but build a life for themselves and answer to themselves.

I have a friend out in Vancouver who is a chartered accountant and she just turned down a promotion for the reason that she would have almost no life if she took it. She already has several days a week that keep her working 10-12 hour days, is an extra $20,000 per year worth the little personal time that she already has? For some it might, for her its not and I fully understand that. She is looking to start her own firm in the near future, and entrepreneurialship is a quality I really admire in people.

I am self employed for many reasons, and I never want to sacrifice the ability to take a few weeks off when I want. Sometimes the body just needs a rest!

If somebody calls me a slacker, I wear that title proudly. I slack when I want and where I want and I have noone to tell me other wise. I provide great service to my clients in the mean time, and I have people to look after my business when I feel like going fishing for a few days  

[Edited 2008-11-11 16:59:53]

Zentraedi

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:52 am

Yeah, but at the same time, you've got companies expecting people to work unpaid overtime, for the sake of 見栄 (vanity). Productivity be damned, if you stay put and never see your family, you're a good little worker bee.  Yeah sure Unsurprisingly, a lot of kids just don't care to work themselves to death and forgo the rat race.

But, that need for self-indulgence does seems to be a bit obscene here. It's more women though with that attitude. For most guys I know, they're expected to save money for a house, marriage, etc., but for women it just goes straight to handbags and travel. Even when it comes to marriage, pretty much every girl I've been with here has stated that it's expect for the man to cover all expenses, and if the woman works, that's free money for herself.

I guess with the rise of these living-at-home-to-indulge-themselves type women, Japan will just see more Chinese/Filipina brides.

Marco

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:05 am

Japanese parenting has been crap for more than a generation. Kids are rarely kicked out of the house here and generally parents pay for everything they can.

And you think that's a bad thing?

I'm sorry but in most Eastern cultures, including mine, we do not "kick" our children out of the house until they are financially sound and married.

You might think that's "crap" and that's your right, but please do not force your western lifestyle on others.

In fact I think that your method of parenting is "crap" and responsible for many of your social ills - but that's another topic altogether.

I do not think it's necessary for your to start a topic about such a topic with a condescending tone. If you genuinely care about this topic then you should work within the culture and system in place. Yes there is room for improvement - but there is no need to approach the topic from the top!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

bill142

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 am

Generation I want at it again. This isn't confined to Japan. It can bet seen pretty much everywhere in the developed world. Generation Y is Generation I want. I want everything, I don't want to have to work for it.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

The Japanese seem to have a problem with extremes. On the one hand, they want people to work so hard that they never see their spouses and kids. And now, on the other hand, this.

All I can say is that I'm very glad I'm not Japanese.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PPVRA

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):

Information-technology job consultants at Intelligence Ltd. report a recent rise in people looking to switch jobs not to get ahead, but to get out of positions they say are too demanding. "They find responsibilities a chore," says consultant Yoshihiko Fujita.

No worries, plenty of people wiling to move to Japan and make the most of those opportunities. Just bad for Japan once they decide to leave I guess.

Not an IT guy but I wouldn't mind living in Japan for a while. It won't be happening anytime soon, though. How do you like it, Aaron?

[Edited 2008-11-12 07:28:40]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

HAWK21M

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Out here too most families stay together for generations & thats not a bad thing.The youngsters turn out well educated & independent too.
Its about knowing ones responsibility & not about staying seperately.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

slider

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 4):
I do not think it's necessary for your to start a topic about such a topic with a condescending tone. If you genuinely care about this topic then you should work within the culture and system in place. Yes there is room for improvement - but there is no need to approach the topic from the top!

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who’s more attune to the Japanese culture on A.net than Aaron. I think you might be over-reacting a bit in your response—he’s seen it, experienced it and lived it, and I don’t think you have.

And your cultural viewpoints may be fine for you, no one’s judging what YOU do. But from the standpoint of much of Western culture, most notably in the USA, we still try to inculcate our kids and the next generation with the intrinsically American ideal of self-reliance, hard work and independence. You may not choose to do that. That’s fine.

My take is that the Japanese culture, which is so tightly wound and hidebound to tradition and manners, has had a major upheaval and instead of a loosening of ways, my inference is that it’s just broken loose completely and the pendulum has swung to the other side. It will correct in time but it’ll be painful. Aaron, I’d be interested to hear more of your take on this.

DLPMMM

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 1):
Personally I think I'd fit right it(!) I'm 31 here, live with my parents and like spending what money I do have on travel etc.. I'm also way too much so-so regarding work (when I've worked) probably for my own good. But hopefully it's just a phase which we'll all grow out of when we start making some kind of lives for ourselves (or so we hope!!).

I just don't understand some people's motivations (or lack thereof).

Are your parents very well off, and leaving you with a nice trust fund when they pass on?

Dougloid

RE: Slacker Nation? Young Japanese Say NO To Promo

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 2):
If somebody calls me a slacker, I wear that title proudly. I slack when I want and where I want and I have noone to tell me other wise. I provide great service to my clients in the mean time, and I have people to look after my business when I feel like going fishing for a few days

Ssssssssssssssslacker.

Wink

Going fishing for a few days sounds like a great idea.

I'm self employed and have been so ever since I found out that being a 48 year old rookie lawyer was not a ticket to financial happiness at a law firm. So I work from home, primarily a virtual lawyer and I keep the price down to a reasonable level and pass it on to my clients.

When people ask me where my office is I pull my phone out of my pants pocket and say "this is my office".

Sometimes I get to be a slacker too and it's nice. When I have a mind to I can walk into the next room and play guitar really loud because nobody's home except me. Of course you can't control the pace of business in my line of work.

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 89kb
gits
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

dan2002

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:01 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 11):

Closet P-90 lover?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Dougloid

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 12):

Closet P-90 lover?

Yessir. That would be me. Do you recognize the ES335 clone on the left?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 2):
I am self employed for many reasons, and I never want to sacrifice the ability to take a few weeks off when I want. Sometimes the body just needs a rest!

I am as well but only out of necessity. I happened upon a niche I could fill and have done pretty well with it, but it's strictly to sock money away for a return to flight school. What I'm doing now I'm decent at, but it's neither enjoyable or my passion. Fully agree though about needing a rest and the value of being able to decide when that is.

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 3):
Unsurprisingly, a lot of kids just don't care to work themselves to death and forgo the rat race.

Yes but given the sweeping changes affecting this country, that's simply not going to be an option, and sooner rather than later. Family savings are declining, estate and inheritance taxes are among the highest anywhere in the developed world, and declining birthrate means there will be less to go around for everyone. There is more entrepreneurship now in Japan than ever, but the people talked about in this article are going to be running businesses anytime soon. And their numbers are growing.

Quoting Marco (Reply 4):
I'm sorry but in most Eastern cultures, including mine, we do not "kick" our children out of the house until they are financially sound and married.

Look, you can take offense to whatever you want, I'm calling what I see here. A good lot of young people in this country are spoiled to the nth degree, have no concept of the future, and frankly don't care about it either. They're going to get a rude awakening and the coddling by their parents does them no favors. From what I've seen they're nowhere near financially sound either - they have the same credit habits we do these days.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
The Japanese seem to have a problem with extremes. On the one hand, they want people to work so hard that they never see their spouses and kids. And now, on the other hand, this.

That's a fair observation.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 7):
How do you like it, Aaron?

The quality of life is fantastic. Being an outsider has its benefits since I can place myself where I want to be and exclude myself from things that either don't concern me or don't wish to involve me to begin with. Aside from providing for my family, I have very little stress and the environment is consistently intellectually stimulating.

We plan to return here after flying jobs in a few years' time.

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
My take is that the Japanese culture, which is so tightly wound and hidebound to tradition and manners, has had a major upheaval and instead of a loosening of ways, my inference is that it’s just broken loose completely and the pendulum has swung to the other side. It will correct in time but it’ll be painful. Aaron, I’d be interested to hear more of your take on this.

In a lot of ways that's true. Japanese universities, by their own admission, are unchallenging compared to western versions and don't stress critical thinking development or problem solving. Talk to any Japanese university student and unless they're an engineer or researcher, they'll admit to having a lot of free time and doing little if any studying. Virtually everything is covered by one's parents in most cases. People are shocked when they hear I paid my own rent and supported myself with two part time jobs throughout my education. That kind of thing is simply unheard of unless one's parents are in dire straits. It's a completely different mindset.

Women are an issue as well because most are marrying into their mid-30s now and much more often than 25 years ago, never will. But unlike women in the west, the prevailing trend is for them to stay living with their parents and not engage in challenging careers. They simply work for shopping and travel money and extend that lifestyle as long as possible. Long-term that will certainly be a detriment to society and a lot of people are concerned about it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WunalaYann

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 13):
Do you recognize the ES335 clone on the left?

Yes. I also recognise how misguided you are in selecting a Telecaster over a Strat but I won't hold it against you seeing that this little dark sun-burst semi-hollow in the background tickles me fancy. What is it? A Les Paul studio wannabe? Looks cute!  thumbsup 

Slacker.

Wink

All I can say is that I'm very glad I'm not Japanese.

I know. You wish you were French, like everybody else, but I'm afraid that's a privilege not bestowed without careful background checks - sound clothing habits, spotless culinary tastes, religious worship of public transport's technical wonders, complete deprivation of morals, acute attraction to corruption, general preference for life/life balance, etc. Will keep you posted as I draft the application test.

Quoting Marco (Reply 4):
we do not "kick" our children out of the house until they are financially sound and married.

I would agree with your statement. Maybe it is the Mediterranean part of the Frenchman that comes out here but it is true that kids stay at home longer in southern Europe than in other places.

Considering my parents, my sister and I are first generation immigrants, we came here with not much. I had just completed my studies in France, moved here and I started my first job right away. It took me three years to build a deposit to afford something decent, and I'll be moving in in a few months. Yet I still get the "what? you still live at your parents' place at your age"?  sarcastic . Yes I do. I chose to save money to buy a place, and I started from scratch. Besides my mortgage, I have zero debt, simply because I don't even have a credit card.

Now I look at the same people who give me shit about my situation and they 1) are struggling to not fall into bankruptcy themselves, what with the rent, the credit cards and lattes, or 2) mum and dad are quite well off thank you and lent a very helping $$$ hand.

Different situations, different perspectives.  Wink

dan2002

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:21 am

Yep. I'm sure diggin those mini-humbuckers. And is that a 72(?) Telecaster Deluxe I see behind that amp on the extreme right?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

SkyyKat

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:39 am

When I have a mind to I can walk into the next room and play guitar really loud because nobody's home except me.

Nice Collection!

I live in a Condo now so my Marshall stack and Les Paul are staying with a friend.... Condo life only allows for my 6 & 12 string acoustics, which is fine! More time for playing Johnny Cash, which by the way sounds killer on a 12 stringer!  Smile

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
but it's neither enjoyable or my passion

Neither is my work, but the money was better than being a pilot and I stopped with my PPL. Flying is my passion, and my work is a means to support it. For me, turning my passion into a job lost its appeal after seeing 30 year old instructors that have been flying since they were 16 making peanuts.

But never being able to pilot a heavy is a bit of a sacrifice, but puddle jumping for years on end with little pay seems more so to me.

I hope you achieve in aviation what you are looking for! Best of luck  Big grin

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:59 am

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 17):
But never being able to pilot a heavy is a bit of a sacrifice, but puddle jumping for years on end with little pay seems more so to me.

Thanks for the nod of luck. I'm fairly confident I can get what I'm after or I wouldn't be making such a change. I'm well-established enough here that I should have a leg up on applying for flying jobs in the region once my quals are decent enough. The flying is great over here and so is the pay so I'm really not that worried.

DocLightning

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 15):
I know. You wish you were French, like everybody else, but I'm afraid that's a privilege not bestowed without careful background checks - sound clothing habits

This is why you wear clothes that are entirely too big and patterns that are...well...whatever you were wearing last night?

Quote:
spotless culinary tastes,

Sorry about eating Chicken Parma in front of you. I was told that in order to have a true Aussie experience, you have to drink Belgian beer, eat Chicken Parma, and then, when the night is over, get late-night Greek food. Well, I had Aussie beer, Chicken Parma, and forewent (is that a word?) the Greek.

Quote:
religious worship of public transport's technical wonders

checkmark 

Quote:
complete deprivation of morals

checkmark  I mean, it's me. Come on, man!

Quote:
acute attraction to corruption

Depends on whom I'm corrupting and how cute he is.  Wink

Quote:
general preference for life/life balance

If that refers to a 30-hour work week, then  checkmark 

Quote:
Will keep you posted as I draft the application test.

Crap. Does this mean I'm French? No, it can't. I don't smell bad enough.  duck 

Actually, the only reason I wish I were Japanese or French is for the Shinkansen or TGV. Except I needn't wish either, now. I wish I were Spanish because they have AVE.

To be Spanish you must:
1) Not give a flying fig what you're wearing unless you're dancing Flamenco or have 500kg of angry pot roast running at you.
2) Love really good food. Especially if it's salty and greasy (mmm, jamón serrano, tortilla española, paella, patatas bravas)
3) Have a complete disrespect for morals and anyone who espouses them.
4) Be able to use ANYTHING to justify a party.
5) Be completely immune to torrid heat.
6) Believe that the hours of 1PM-5PM are best spent in bed, either sleeping or engaging in other "bedly" activities.
7) Have no idea what corruption is because you have nothing with which to compare it.

In fact, barring #6, I fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, because of #2, I'd soon not fit into much else.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 15):
Do you recognize the ES335 clone on the left?

Yes. I also recognise how misguided you are in selecting a Telecaster over a Strat but I won't hold it against you seeing that this little dark sun-burst semi-hollow in the background tickles me fancy. What is it? A Les Paul studio wannabe? Looks cute!   

Slacker.

Sheesh....I am not a Strat guy even though there is a G&L Legacy in a case there....I love Teles particularly with the Texmex pickups.

the way things are going I can pick up a yuppie castoff MIM Strat for pretty cheap around here. The street price floats around $250 US and Squiers are considerably cheaper, about $100 will get you a Squier strat.

the dark sunburst is a Yamaha AEX502. They were made for a few years, 2 P90s, three way and single tone and volume, maple bolt on neck-much fun. It's more like a solid body with sound chambers. If you like P90s it's worth looking around for one.

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 16):

Yep. I'm sure diggin those mini-humbuckers. And is that a 72(?) Telecaster Deluxe I see behind that amp on the extreme right?

The ES335 clone is a Kapa 500 that came with Hofner made pickups and bridge. It's a very nice guitar from a niche maker in Maryland that went under in the early seventies.

The other is a Squier. Wish it was the real thing.

Zentraedi

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 4):
And you think that's a bad thing?

You might think that's "crap" and that's your right, but please do not force your western lifestyle on others.

In fact I think that your method of parenting is "crap" and responsible for many of your social ills - but that's another topic altogether.

But the problem is that these kids have no ambition nor are they working towards financial security. The typical Japanese woman doesn't save or invest for her future. Rather, she indulges herself, blowing all her cash and waits for a prince to "take care of her". Often this goes on until mid 30s.

Basically, they're in an extended childhood.

Well, pretty much any culture can be viewed as having problems with extremes. Many Japanese view the US as having many extremes. Just look at diets, the litigeous nature, business competition, etc.

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):

Well, one of the problems is that change has been imposed from the outside and the result is a bunch of conflicting and incoherent philosophies.

WunalaYann

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
This is why you wear clothes that are entirely too big and patterns that are...well...whatever you were wearing last night?

New patterns today. More neutral, if I catch your drift.  silly 

Sorry about eating Chicken Parma in front of you.

Hhhhhmmm. *grudgingly tolerates a beginner's unforgivable fault of taste*

I was told that in order to have a true Aussie experience, you have to drink Belgian beer, eat Chicken Parma, and then, when the night is over, get late-night Greek food. Well, I had Aussie beer, Chicken Parma, and forewent (is that a word?) the Greek.

I have been actively working towards civilising (although sometimes I feel like saying "settling") this big land of mine. I am slowly getting the point across that meals are something that should be celebrated, not expedited. If I have my way, sodas will be banned next year, and so will Vaginamite, meat pies, lamingtons and tim tams.  vomit  Phew, tall order.

Smile

I mean, it's me. Come on, man!

Yes it is.  biggrin  You perv'.

If that refers to a 30-hour work week, then

30 hours????  eyepopping  You crazy? You want to kill us or what? Never more than 20, and certainly never two weeks in row...

*thirty hours, crazy Yanks*

I don't smell bad enough.

I'm happy to say that I did not have to find out.  biggrin 

In fact, barring #6, I fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, because of #2, I'd soon not fit into much else.

Dude. My mum's Spanish. I win. Thanks for playing.  bigthumbsup 

Still waiting to know how many of you are coming to the party so I can tell my friend, by the way.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
Sheesh....I am not a Strat guy even though there is a G&L Legacy in a case there....I love Teles particularly with the Texmex pickups.

I forgive you.

But don't push it.

Smile

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
the dark sunburst is a Yamaha AEX502. They were made for a few years, 2 P90s, three way and single tone and volume, maple bolt on neck-much fun. It's more like a solid body with sound chambers. If you like P90s it's worth looking around for one.

I do, and I will.  drool 

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 21):
Well, one of the problems is that change has been imposed from the outside and the result is a bunch of conflicting and incoherent philosophies.

Which pretty much fits the description of any country. That's also what makes cultures and countries so fascinating.  thumbsup 

DocLightning

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 22):

Yes it is. biggrin You perv'.

Hey, at least I'm the one who literally gets women falling all over him. Maybe they're attracted to my lack of morals.  Big grin

This thread has officially gone off-topic. And we're LOVING it!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WunalaYann

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
Hey, at least I'm the one who literally gets women falling all over him. Maybe they're attracted to my lack of morals.

In truth, you probably saved her from a cracked skull. Good job, Doc.  thumbsup 

Speaking of which. Tonight you get your chance to redeem yourself and toss the ladies onto me. I'll see what I can do for you regarding tossing guys your way.  biggrin 

My friend told me "bring on your friends, lots of gay people in our building, should be fun". Eh.

This thread has officially gone off-topic. And we're LOVING it!

It's the a.net combo - a hot-button issue, lots of good posting content, and then we all go to hell because we are such a bunch of pervs. Rock on.  biggrin 

Dougloid

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:58 am

Hey, at least I'm the one who literally gets women falling all over him. Maybe they're attracted to my lack of morals.

You slut. I hate you.

Signed

the straight men of America.

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 

slider

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 21):

There is a LOT to discuss on this subject.

Let’s also not forget that change HAD to be imposed due to imperialism that went crazy. There was a time when many people didn’t think democracy was compatible with the Japanese at all. That’s worked pretty well, but I think there’s lingering angst today yet. The change that was ‘imposed’ on Japan also brought them into a state of modernity that was nearly unmatched. I think given the traditions, culture, family and social values that the Japanese hold, they’ve done an absolutely remarkable job—a point that cannot be overemphasized IMHO—of adjusting to a free society, market economy, etc given the absolutely MASSIVE cataclysmic change that nation has endured in the past 100 years.

I think now the battle is more cultural and familial where longstanding traditions and ways of life are being fractured now that Japan has a few generations of non-imperialism under their belt. Again, I’d love to hear Aaron’s and others views on this who have been intimately familiar with the culture.

MD11Engineer

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Back to the topic:

I noticed that since a few years there seems to exist a philosophy among employers not to give employees payrises, instead theyare giving them titles and additional responsibilities.
Now, there are some employees, who feel flattered by such a promotion, but on the other hand, why should I accept a promotion, which only will bring me additional work, responsibilities, stress and a worse duty roster, with no monetary compensation?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Dougloid

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 27):
I noticed that since a few years there seems to exist a philosophy among employers not to give employees payrises, instead theyare giving them titles and additional responsibilities.
Now, there are some employees, who feel flattered by such a promotion, but on the other hand, why should I accept a promotion, which only will bring me additional work, responsibilities, stress and a worse duty roster, with no monetary compensation?

Absolutely correct, m'good fellow.

didja ever notice how everyone who works at the bank is a vice president?

AirCop

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Every good point Jan..Even here in the states individuals are turning down promotions for other reasons besides pay. Why would someone what to uproot one's family to move across country for a few bucks more, and only to find out the schools are bad, you don't fit in with the community etc.