Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX
Topic Author

New BMW 335d Diesel Sedan Is EPA Rated At 36mpg!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 am

A BMW diesel 3-series sedan and diesel X5 SUV will be sold in America beginning in next month. The diesel BMWs will be unveiled to the American market at the Los Angeles auto show next week.

2009 BMW 335d sedan

The sedan (which is titled the 335d) will be EPA rated at 23 mpg in city driving and 36 mpg on the highway with a base price of $44,725. BMW estimates the sedan will be able to travel 560 miles on a tank of fuel.

The X5 xDrive35d is rated at 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. It will sticker at $52,025, including destination when it arrives in January. BMW states that the X5 will have a range of 585 miles on a tankful for fuel.

BMW has said that the 335d will be eligible for an IRS tax credit of $900 for the 335d sedan; the tax credit for the X35d will be $1550.

An article published on the Autoweek.com website today states:

"BMW calls its diesel technology BluePerformance, and it uses urea injection to cut emissions. Both vehicles share the same twin-turbo, 3.0-liter V6 powerplant that makes 265 hp. As with many diesels, the performance comes from the delivery of plenty of torque--the engine is rated at 425 lb-ft, nearly the same as BMW's vaunted V12. The big torque is expected to help the vehicles post respectable 0-to-60 mph times, with the 335d hitting it in six seconds and the X5 diesel checking with a time of 6.9 seconds."

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...e?AID=/200811111654/FREE/811119977

BMW is gambling that these models will allow it to compete with the new Mercedes C-class Blue-Tec diesels here in the U.S.. The biggest gambler in the luxury diesel market is Cadillac. They must get their diesel version of CTS sedan and station wagon released VERY quickly here in America (with their new 250 horsepower 2.9 liter V-6 turbo diesel that was being manufactured mainly for the European market) before the European marque automakers "eat their lunch" in the emerging U.S. luxury diesel market, IMHO. Your thoughts, fellow oil-burner fanatics?

[Edited 2008-11-11 21:55:54]

ManuCH

RE: New BMW 335d Diesel Sedan Is EPA Rated At 36mpg!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 am

The very good MPG values of these new, powerful diesel engines are indeed very tempting. As a very "american minded" person myself, I'd have a very hard time deciding to buy a car with such an engine, though.

For some reason, I dislike the truck-like noise these engines make, the smell of diesel when refueling, and the inherent "it feels more dirty than regular fuel" thing (even if they're apparently less polluting - I guess it's an image thing).

In Europe, many people are going for diesel engines to save on fuel costs (remember, it's much more expensive here). But in the US, where people love large cars with large engines, does diesel have a chance (especially with these new models which cut fuel consumption in half)? Or will it take some more years?

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:24 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 1):
For some reason, I dislike the truck-like noise these engines make, the smell of diesel when refueling, and the inherent "it feels more dirty than regular fuel" thing (even if they're apparently less polluting - I guess it's an image thing).

I've never driven a modern BMW or a Mercedes diesel, but I did drive a 2004 VW Jetta diesel station wagon a few times and found it to be a great vehicle. No diesel smells, fairly quiet, excellent fuel economy, and plenty of around-town power. The problem is that diesel fuel is very expensive (at least $1 USD more per gallon) in comparison to gasoline here.

ManuCH

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 2):
The problem is that diesel fuel is very expensive (at least $1 USD more per gallon) in comparison to gasoline here.

It's about 10% more expensive in Switzerland as well - it would be interesting to make a calculation considering the increased MPG and the increased diesel price.

Anyone who would want to try comparing a BMW X5 with an average modern V6 or V8 US made SUV regarding fuel costs?

With Swiss fuel pricing, diesel is economically more convenient after about 20k miles, depending on the car type. I'm curious what this would look like in the US.

klmcedric

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 am

Although I agree those are some very nice engines, I don't understand why all that power
is needed in every day life. BMW also produces some very nice 2.0 diesel engines with
more then enough horsepower . They will still provide a lot of driving pleasure, while consuming
and emitting a lot less then a 3.0 or 4.0 liter engine.
I drive a VW passat bluemotion. It has a 1.9Tdi 105HP engine.
It's a nice comfortable car, made for highway travel, and has enough power to safely overtake
in any situation. Speed is more then adequate, at on occasion I went over 200km/h (124Mph).
On average driving 130km/h (81Mph), on a highway this car consumes about 4,8l/100km
(49Mpg). At that speed a full tank will easily take me 1350km (839miles) further.
IMHO we need to let go of the idea that big cars automatically need big engines!

MAH4546

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:25 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 2):
The problem is that diesel fuel is very expensive (at least $1 USD more per gallon) in comparison to gasoline here.

Depends where you are. In LA diesel only is a 30 cent premium over premium gasoline (which is the type of gasoline that a BMW 3-Series or X5 requires); though over the summer it was a $1.20 or so premium.

Diesel spiked even higher over the summer than the usual premium it commands, and at times diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. They price difference between gasoline and diesel has no fixed correlation.

As for Americans buying diesels: they will, IMO, buy the boatloads. I can't wait to switch to a diesel engine for my next car. BMW thinks that in the long term, 25% of their U.S. sales will be diesel engines.

andz

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:52 am

I dislike the truck-like noise these engines make

I have a 2006 BMW 320d and you only get that noise at standstill with the window open. BMW's diesel engines are the most refined on the market. On the move only two things tell you that you are driving a diesel vehicle: the word "diesel" on the fuel gauge, and the incredible fuel economy!

apparently less polluting

Nothing "apparent" about it.

Francoflier

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 am

Quoting KLMCedric (Reply 4):
Although I agree those are some very nice engines, I don't understand why all that power
is needed in every day life. BMW also produces some very nice 2.0 diesel engines with
more then enough horsepower .

I understand why people would want to have a lot of power (I wouldn't mind myself), and I also agree that smaller diesel engines are mighty good and extremely economical.

What I don't get is why someone looking for horsepower would go for a diesel...?
If you're wealthy enough to afford the price of a brand new 335d, then surely the price of gas is not the main worry of your life. For the same price, you could go for an even more powerful gas version with proper sport credentials. Surely when you splash out for a brand new high-end beemer the last thing you want is to show that you're too cheap to buy gas for it...

I'm still not a big fan of diesel, but I'll admit that some smaller diesel engines sold in Europe are pretty good. The BMW 2.0d is even downright amazing. But buying a diesel is not always a winning move, as you have to consider how many miles you'll have to drive to recover the initial price surplus over a gas engine.
And if you consider performance as one of your choosing criteria, then you need to avoid falling for the diesel hype and take a long hard look at it before you buy.

MCOflyer

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:16 am

I am already looking at diesel options for my next car as well mah. I know for sure I could easily get 27-30 in the city with the BMW as I do 60mph most of the time.

Hunter

bill142

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 am

I had considered a diesel, but the problem with Diesel in Australia is that it still contains a high level of sulphur which means puffs of black smoke coming out and covering the rear end in soot. Not a good looking coming from a brand new car. Those figures produced by the BMW are impressive, and they are what attract me to atleast considering a diesel sedan.

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
3.0-liter V6 powerplant

What a stupid mistake, it's an inline 6, BMW has never made a V6

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 7):
The BMW 2.0d is even downright amazing.

I know I've got one, a Msport 320d Touring, the only problem with it is that it's too small, I'm waiting for the new 5 series and I swap for a 520d.

cpd

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Those engines sound nothing like truck engines - about the only thing giving away the game that it isn't a normal BMW inline 6 is the strange "whoosh" sound.

Refuelling with diesel, I agree - it's worthwhile wearing gloves. The stuff is irritating.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 9):
I had considered a diesel, but the problem with Diesel in Australia is that it still contains a high level of sulphur which means puffs of black smoke coming out and covering the rear end in soot. Not a good looking coming from a brand new car. Those figures produced by the BMW are impressive, and they are what attract me to atleast considering a diesel sedan.

They are cleaning it up, which is the reason why we are seeing some of these lovely new diesel engines. (eg, the 4.2L TDI V8 Audi engine - a storming monster of an engine with big power, big torque and only moderate fuel usage).

MCOflyer

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Here in US we have Ultra-low sulphr which is causing havoc for truckers but good for the new series of deiesels produced by Mercedes, Volkswagon, and BMW.

Hunter

rabenschlag

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 pm

First and foremost, I would buy a diesel powered car because of the fun you get from high torques at low revs.

Charles79

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

The sedan (which is titled the 335d) will be EPA rated at 23 mpg in city driving and 36 mpg on the highway with a base price of $44,725. BMW estimates the sedan will be able to travel 560 miles on a tank of fuel.

I read this yesterday and found it very interesting (btw, did you notice that the autoweek headline said it gets 36 MPH!). Those are impressive numbers; for comparison, BMW's website quotes the regular 335i at 300 bhp, $40,100 base sticker, and fuel consumption at 17/26. Even though diesel is more expensive than premium petrol it's still worth doing the calculations if you drive 15-20K miles a year or more.

Now what I wonder is why they chose to bring only the biggest diesel in the 3-Series. I would seriously consider the 2.0 liter diesel unit in either the 3- or the 1-series. Having lots of bhp is fun, no doubt about that, but for most city driving the bigger engine goes to waste. And reading comments on publications such as Auto Motor und Sport and Top Gear they rarely complain about a serious lack of momentum from the 2.0 (thanks in part to the diesel torque, yum!).

Here's to hoping that VW brings a Golf (sorry, Rabbitt) with the TDI and 6-speed manual in GT trim!

SkyyKat

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

I am surprised they are finally getting into North America. I think it is great that consumers will finally start having more engine choices in popular automobiles.

I would not buy a BMW only for the reason that they are a dime a dozen here in downtown Toronto. But other than that they are GREAT cars, if I were buying a 3-series and not the M3 I would go for the diesel.

What do we have now with diesel engines? VW, JEEP, BMW... Anyother makes?

Cadet57

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 14):
Here's to hoping that VW brings a Golf (sorry, Rabbitt) with the TDI and 6-speed manual in GT trim!

Oh man...  cloudnine 

Molykote

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:20 pm

IMHO. Your thoughts, fellow oil-burner fanatics?

No doubt that this engine has remarkable power and torque output. However, a US buyer looking for performance is better off with the 335i. A buyer looking for economy would be better off with the European 2.0 turbo diesel engine.

Gasoline is cheap enough that we Americans don't have a compelling reason to pay this much for a high performance diesel when the 335i is available. I'm also not sure that I'd want to be tied to typical BMW ownership issues for 250,000+ miles in trying to exploit the life and economy of a diesel engine.

SkyyKat

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:30 pm

What I don't get is why someone looking for horsepower would go for a diesel...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-QT8-JAF0&feature=related

I seen plenty of american deisel pick up trucks that no Ferrari could keep up with.  Wink

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
What a stupid mistake, it's an inline 6, BMW has never made a V6

Indeed - I missed that error in the AutoWeek article. They've corrected the article to read "inline 6" instead of "V6".  embarrassed 

panam330

RE: New BMW 335d Diesel Sedan Is EPA Rated At 36mp

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 8):
I am already looking at diesel options for my next car as well mah. I know for sure I could easily get 27-30 in the city with the BMW as I do 60mph most of the time.

You're going to go from a Dodge to a Bimmer working fast food jobs? What's your secret?

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 14):

Yes please! I'd be first in line for it. That would be one hell of a car, and relatively cheap to boot!

Fly2HMO

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 pm

For some reason, I dislike the truck-like noise these engines make, t

Have you heard a late model European Diesel? They sound like anything but trucks to me, more so in the inside, they seem to be quieter than gas engines on the same car.

And if you consider performance as one of your choosing criteria, then you need to avoid falling for the diesel hype and take a long hard look at it before you buy.

Diesels have plenty of power, albeit in the form of torque. While some smaller 4 cyl 2litter-ish engines might barely get over 100HP, they may get as much as, or even more, than 200lbs of torque. That is a sh!tload of torque to have in a smaller car as, say, a Rabbit/Golf. Makes for really fast starts of the line and great passing power. An equivalent sized gasoline engine may have 130hp but only 100-120lbs of torque. The gas version might have a slightly higher top speed but it really wont be too noticeable.

MCOflyer

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 20):

You're going to go from a Dodge to a Bimmer working fast food jobs? What's your secret?

scholarship money my friend.

Hunter

Cadet57

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 22):

Nice... you know, thats more than likely against the terms of your scholarship. Id love to see how you explain that one  sarcastic  Hell, my school got pissy when I used my scholarhip refund for gas to get to school...

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:45 am

Here's some sad news for these BMW diesel fans here in the U.S. that want to shift for themselves; the 335d will only be sold as an automatic. No manual transmission will be offered!

"Both vehicles (the 335d and X5d) will initially be sold only with six-speed automatic transmissions, as BMW says the diesel engine torque is too substantial to be paired with a six-speed manual just yet"

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-anno...r-us-bound-diesels-no-manuals.html

A 3 series Bimmer that doesn't even offer a manual transmission?  wideeyed 

panam330

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:48 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 22):

Don't forget to slap a big rig wheel and a truck horn in it after you buy it with that scholarship money. Oh, and if you can tell me the name of the scholarship willing to give you $40k+ to go to a community college, will you give me their number? I have an offer for them they can't refuse.

Cadet57

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 25):
will you give me their number?

Me too, i've been dying to go to europe for ages now and just can seem to get the money...

Francoflier

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 18):
I seen plenty of american deisel pick up trucks that no Ferrari could keep up with.

Until the first bend, that is.  Wink
And in these cases, I think the fuel economy advantage is thrown out the window...

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 21):
Diesels have plenty of power, albeit in the form of torque.

I know they do, but generally speaking, diesel cars are more expensive than a similarly powerful gas powered model. So for the same price, you could get a more powerful gas engine.
And they might be torquey, but sporty driving still favors the flexibility, linearity and revs of a gas engine. Similarly powered diesels sometimes have an advantage when it comes to rolling accelerations (40 to 60 for instance), but generally not for much else. And they're heavier.

While some smaller 4 cyl 2litter-ish engines might barely get over 100HP

2 liters diesels get 150 Hp these days...  Smile

Molykote

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 am

Diesels have plenty of power, albeit in the form of torque.

Torque is a good thing but let us be careful with our language.
I think you understand my comments immediately below but I don't want someone reading your post to draw the wrong conclusion. "Power in the form of torque" is (loosely) like talking about "heat in the form of temperature" or "momentum in the form of mass".

In intuitive terms, "torque" would be akin to the shove one feels from a defensive lineman while "power" would be exemplified by a wide receiver at speed.

The robust "shove" is appreciated in the trenches but isn't much good when the receiver has broken into the open field.

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 27):
I know they do, but generally speaking, diesel cars are more expensive than a similarly powerful gas powered model. So for the same price, you could get a more powerful gas engine.
And they might be torquey, but sporty driving still favors the flexibility, linearity and revs of a gas engine. Similarly powered diesels sometimes have an advantage when it comes to rolling accelerations (40 to 60 for instance), but generally not for much else. And they're heavier.

agreed....  Smile

Quoting Molykote (Reply 17):
... a US buyer looking for performance is better off with the 335i. A buyer looking for economy would be better off with the European 2.0 turbo diesel engine.

Gasoline is cheap enough that we Americans don't have a compelling reason to pay this much for a high performance diesel when the 335i is available.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:37 am

While some smaller 4 cyl 2litter-ish engines might barely get over 100HP, they may get as much as, or even more, than 200lbs of torque.

BMW have 3 2.0 litre diesels, the little one has 143hp, the middle 177hp and the big one 204hp, even the little one has 221lbs of torque.

RicciPettit

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:37 am

I drive a 2003 Land Rover Freelander. It has a TD4 engine which apparently is made by BMW (I have no idea, I just read it somewhere).

Either it's just my engine or these engines are smokey as hell!

But I sure as hell wouldn't swap it for anything! Lovely to drive, reasonable fuel economy and loads of gadgets and toys to play with on the inside!

Charles79

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:55 pm

diesel cars are more expensive than a similarly powerful gas powered model. So for the same price, you could get a more powerful gas engine.

Buying diesel has always depended on mileage driven in a year. They carry a premium, and at least here in the US diesel is still more expensive than petrol, but they typically give you a substantially better MPG rating.

But just like hybrids, the premium you pay will pay off only if you drive a certain number of miles in a year. A driver doing only 7-10K miles a year will probably be better off with a petrol, but if you are a salesman doing 20-25K miles a year then a diesel might be more ideal for you.

Of course, other costs should also be considered such as resale value, unless you plan to keep the car for 10 years in which depreciation is not so important anymore...

KaiGywer

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 8):
I know for sure I could easily get 27-30 in the city with the BMW as I do 60mph most of the time.

I highly discourage going 60mph most of the time in the city.  Silly

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:30 pm

Not always true, in Norway the diesel version is cheaper than the petrol version model for model, this is mainly due to lower tax for diesel cars, I think it might be the same in other Euro countries.

WellHung

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 pm

base price of $44,725

They're about 3 years too late to try to convince people to drop 45k for a bare bones entry level sedan.

andz

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 24):
Here's some sad news for these BMW diesel fans here in the U.S. that want to shift for themselves; the 335d will only be sold as an automatic. No manual transmission will be offered!

That's not as bad as it might seem. My diesel is 6 speed manual and it is a pain in the ass sometimes. Because it doesn't rev high but does rev fast you are short shifting all the time. In hindsight the auto would have been better, and the Steptronic box can be shifted manually anyway if you want to.

Francoflier

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 33):
this is mainly due to lower tax for diesel cars, I think it might be the same in other Euro countries.

The 'unaltered', true price (0 subsidies, without political tweaking) of a diesel is greater than that of a gas powered car though, just as the 'true' price of diesel fuel is higher than that of gas...

I didn't know there were subsidies for diesel cars in Norway, and I don't know of any other European countries that have the same kind of policies. There might be.

I do know that in some other countries (like France) it's the fuel itself that's subsidized. Diesel is cheaper than gas. That was originally designed as a boost for the transport industry, since truckers and farmers were pretty much the only ones burning mazut back in the days.
It has had the effect of making diesel cars hugely popular in France, so much so that local manufacturers started spending almost all of their engine design budget on developing diesels.
They have refined them to very powerful, civilized engines, and brainwashed everybody into buying one.

Now over 3 out of 4 cars sold there are diesels, it's so bad that people don't even think about it, they just buy one. Of course, there are only few gas powered versions offered and not much improvements have been made to those, and the hype has been such that only diesels retain good resale value, prompting even more people to go for them...

But, since more diesel is now sold than unleaded, the government, for whom drivers are the eternal cash cows, has now eased on tax breaks for diesel and the thing is now almost as expensive as gas. I hope it'll help the gas engines resurface a bit.

As has been said before, the variables change depending on the country you live in, but you should always run the numbers before buying, and not just buy a diesel because everybody else does.

Edit: taipoes...

[Edited 2008-11-13 07:24:02]

flight152

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 34):

They're about 3 years too late to try to convince people to drop 45k for a bare bones entry level sedan.

You're right. I'm not quite sure how they lured in over 97,000 suckers so far this year in North America.  Yeah sure

Dougloid

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 pm

For some reason, I dislike the truck-like noise these engines make, t

Have you heard a late model European Diesel? They sound like anything but trucks to me, more so in the inside, they seem to be quieter than gas engines on the same car.

Did you check the brother's profile before you posted that?

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 

andz

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 29):
BMW have 3 2.0 litre diesels, the little one has 143hp, the middle 177hp and the big one 204hp, even the little one has 221lbs of torque.

I have the middle one in my car, torque is 350 Nm (258lb).

Boeing74741R

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 23):
Nice... you know, thats more than likely against the terms of your scholarship. Id love to see how you explain that one sarcastic Hell, my school got pissy when I used my scholarhip refund for gas to get to school...

That would depend on the terms that the scholarship was issued on and whether there are any restrictions (the scholarship I'm due from my university in February due to high grades has no restrictions on what it can be spent on AFAIK), and to be honest what the terms of MCOflyer's scholarship is and what he chooses to spend it on is up to him and isn't mine or yours business.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 32):
I highly discourage going 60mph most of the time in the city.

Was just going to ask, is the 60mph driving he boasts of all within the speed limits?  Wink