Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 44):
Perhaps 2020?

Goodness, that is a long way away...  Sad

L-188

RE: 2012 Presidential Election - Nominate A Republican

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 51):
Goodness, that is a long way away...

Agreed, we need republican leadership now.....unfortunately we will have to wait at least 4 years for that.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WarRI1

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 48):

I agree with all your points, I was using my values for the Republican candidate, I identify with neither party, I am a registered Independant. They screw up, throw the bums out.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 51):
Agreed, we need republican leadership now.....unfortunately we will have to wait at least 4 years for that.

Uh, the nation voted in droves that we DON'T need Republican leadership now. Republican "leadership" (if you want to misname it that) is what got us into this mess in the first place. We don't need that kind of "leadership".

If we're lucky, we won't have it for a decade or two. By then, you may live in the Soverign Nation of Alaska, L-188, and you won't have to worry.  Wink
Work Right, Fly Hard

fxramper

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:16 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 11):
Rudy Giuliani

Is the GOP's leading man right now. Rudy stated that he'd take Texas Governor, Rick Perry for VP. Perry has said he'll decline to run for another term. I think he's going to focus on building up support for a VPOTUS gig.

A very good, solid, pair, IMHO.

I also like Little Joe from CT, and Charlie Christ from FL.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 54):
Quoting Srbmod (Reply 11):
Rudy Giuliani

Is the GOP's leading man right now

Please do. He couldn't cut it in '08, because his whole resume was 9/11 and nothing else. He's way over-rated.
Work Right, Fly Hard

JakeOrion

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 50):
Goodness, that is a long way away...

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 50):

I just don't think she wants to go through that mess right now, especially after what happened to Palin. Hell, if I was able to run, even I would say screw that for the 2012 ticket. Maybe 2016 the earliest.

One thing is for sure, the party is in the process of rebuilding itself, which is a very good thing. Perhaps conservatism will dominate the GOP the next election cycle.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

ltbewr

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:42 am

First of all, I am a dedicated Democrat.

As others have noted, the Republcians need to find a new right of center perception and base. It is possible that a future President could come from the Congress or more likely a State Governor. They will have to be someone who is fiscaly conservative and socially moderate, intellectually curoius, well educated, with a pleasing public personality. They must have a record of cutting taxes for all, cutting budgets from all areas yet protecting real needs. I don't think it is anyone we really see right now. I would also suggest that if situations seem to be getting better by 2012, then 2016 will be more likely for a return for the Republicans to the White House. That could allow more time for possible canidates that could win.

L-188

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 53):
Republican "leadership" (if you want to misname it that) is what got us into this mess in the first place. We don't need that kind of "leadership".

At this point I think I should point out the economy didn't start to tank until the demoncrats took over the congress.

This is much more Reids/Pelosi's recession then it is GW's.

Want proof, got to you tube and find the tapes of the Fannie/Freddie hearings of about 4 years ago where all the democrats where claiming there wasn't a lending crisis in the US.

It was the republicans that was pushing for that reform, which died when Pelosi and her ilk too charge.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

SmithAir747

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:16 am

Is it too early to start my 2012 Republican presidential campaign yet?  Wink

Imagine this...VOTE SMITH 2012!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

DocLightning

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting 787atPAE (Reply 8):

Condoleeza Rice.

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 31):

Personally, and while very much aware of my absolute lack of influence, I would like to see her in the White House. Straightforward, amazingly intelligent and knowledgeable, with a wealth of experience, respectful of contradicting opinions, pragmatic and generally very popular abroad - that looks like a recipe for success, in my book.

Oh no. The woman was my vice provost in college and believe me, GOD NO. She doesn't want the job, anyway. She's got the brains, that's no doubt. She's also a jaw-droppingly good pianist. But she is simply not a nice person.

But you simply don't want a ruthless arse in that position. She's not collegial or respectful of contradicting opinions at all. This is the woman who shook her finger at a student in a wheelchair and told her that the ADA does not cover access to student community centers under protection of "program access." Not only was it an incorrect statement, but the fact that she would say it and the way that she said it belied a degree of insensitivity to others that I simply can't fathom. I'm sorry, but I consider kindness to be a requirement for the Presidency.

She'd also never stand up to the sort of scrutiny of her personal life that a President needs to withstand. She's not married, for one thing. In fact, there appears to be no man in her life. Do you honestly believe that a Black woman who is unmarried can somehow get elected to an office that has only been held by married, white, heterosexual protestant men?*

OK, so what does the GOP need? First of all, there is a role for Conservatism in this country. There is NOT a role for nationalist fundamentalism in this country. The GOP needs to move away from the latter and back towards the former.

John McCain was a good Conservative. It's a shame he is as old as he is and had to run a campaign on the heels of this administration. Were he slightly younger and had he not just lost, he would have been a good choice.

So I can think of one good ticket: Christine Whitman and Ron Paul. Guiliani would also be good. It's a pity that Schwartzenegger (I can never spell that name) can't run. Bill Crist might also be a good choice, but I am very turned off by his support of continuing Florida's ban on gay adoption.

You might think that these people are "Liberal." They aren't. They're true conservatives. Palin isn't a Conservative, she's a clown and a fundamentalist. Conservatism is a consistent political philosophy. You cannot be in favor of smaller government and then support government bans on abortion, contraception, drug use, etc. and THEN turn around and build the Homeland Security Department, the T"S"A, a bigger military, and a coal-happy energy supply. A true conservative supports less government in all areas, not just in regulation of big business.

*To be fair, JFK was Catholic, and Buchanan was not married and his sexual orientation is a bit of a historical debate. Other than these two examples, every single President has fit the bill. At the time of this post, BHO is not yet President and so he has not held the office.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WunalaYann

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:41 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 57):
I just don't think she wants to go through that mess right now, especially after what happened to Palin.

The fact that she would not want to run is one of the main reasons why I would like her to run. While I tend to describe myself as a European centrist (mix of christian democrat and social democrat), I tend to have a soft spot for moderate, pragmatic Republicans.

The thing is I think Condi is the furthest thing from Palin you could find, and that's a big compliment as far as I am concerned. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 57):
Maybe 2016 the earliest.

I hope so. Why? Firstly because I would like Obama to do well (for all sorts of reasons on all sorts of scary issues), and if that happens then there is a good chance he will be re-elected. And second I would really like the Republican party to take all the time it needs to rediscover itself and have a real debate about what it stands for and how it intends to do so. Things I can't see happening in just four years. There simply is too much to look at and to ponder.

seb146

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Oh, for the love of....

No one knows what the next four years hold. Let's at least see how the next two years goes before we start lambasting anyone. I am so sick of campaigns. Seriously. The government needs a major overhaul if this is how it is going to be. "The other guy has not take office yet so we need to oppose him now and kick him out of office now!"

Jeez....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

RL757PVD

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I nominate Flynavy

filler
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

dxing

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Uh, the nation voted in droves

Droves? I wouldn't call 53% droves. But then again if I were trying to pump up an empty suit, maybe I would.

If we're lucky, we won't have it for a decade or two.

Yet Speaker Pelosi still claims to need Republican votes to pass certain items, go figure.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Superfly

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Mike Huckabee
Fred Thompson
God
David Vitters
Larry Craig
Bring back the Concorde

keesje

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Perry - Rice?

But then again, who wants to face an experienced Obama team in 2012 ? Better wait..

Maybe Obama will ask Rice for a post..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Superfly

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 66):
Maybe Obama will ask Rice for a post..

rotfl 

..or even better, Colin Powell.
Bring back the Concorde

dxing

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 66):
But then again, who wants to face an experienced Obama team in 2012 ? Better wait..

By then maybe Mickey Mouse could win.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

ConcordeBoy

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 15):
Some of the crap that was put out about her during the campaign was absolute horse-pucky. Unfortuntatly a lot here decided to perpetuate these lies.

Why do you think that is?

Obama and Palin both made major geographical gaffes, and both were repeated ad nauseum in he media-- yet why were people so willing to accept Obama's as a momentary slip, and Palin's as sheer stupidity? Can't blame "the liberal media" on this, as Obama's got as much play as did hers.

Quoting DXing (Reply 34):
That makes no sense whatsoever.

Are you JOKING with this, it makes perfect sense-- DeepSouthern men aren't likely to get heavily involved nor turn out for two "Coloreds" dukin' it out on the top end.

Not that difficult to grasp.

Quoting DXing (Reply 38):
Who cares, they weren't running on the "Bush" doctrine.

Indeed, the nation was pining against it... and she didn't even know what it is.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 44):
Cindy Sheehan

Where's ol' Cindy been?
She was another one who "suspended" her campaign, then kept showing up.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 54):
Is the GOP's leading man right now.

At what exactly?

Quoting L-188 (Reply 58):
I think I should point out the economy didn't start to tank until the demoncrats took over the congress

I should point out that the economy has a delayed response, usually by a number of years....
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Falcon84

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:14 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 69):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 58):
I think I should point out the economy didn't start to tank until the demoncrats took over the congress

I should point out that the economy has a delayed response, usually by a number of years....

Thank you. Someone with a little sense. L-188, it takes 2-3 years for most decisions to have an effect on the economy. The mess we're in, whether you like it or not, happened under the watch of the GOP. The nation obviously agrees, because the GOP had the snot kicked out of it (what snot that remained after '06, that is), 3 weeks ago.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dxing

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:28 am

Can't blame "the liberal media" on this, as Obama's got as much play as did hers.

I would disagree. His gaffe got nowhere near the airplay her's did.

Are you JOKING with this, it makes perfect sense-- DeepSouthern men aren't likely to get heavily involved nor turn out for two "Coloreds" dukin' it out on the top end.

If Jindal can win in LA he can win any number of southern states. Those "deep southern men' you are refering too are getting thinner in the ranks everyday.

Indeed, the nation was pining against it... and she didn't even know what it is.

Which to me speaks volumes. Who cares at this point since nobody is going to run on it and she wasn't. If she came out with it verbaitum and said what a great polciy it was, then you would be right.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 70):
The nation obviously agrees, because the GOP had the snot kicked out of it (what snot that remained after '06, that is), 3 weeks ago.

6 points, no where near the record for states one or electoral votes and the GOP got the snot kicked out of it? Lowering the standards again eh?

DeltaRules

Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:23 am

We just got done with the most recent election...can we have some time off before the next one starts again?  Wink

I'd like Colin Powell if he doesn't end up in Obama's Administration.

If he does, anyone not named Sarah Palin.

[Edited 2008-11-24 20:25:07]
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Falcon84

Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:55 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 71):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 70):
The nation obviously agrees, because the GOP had the snot kicked out of it (what snot that remained after '06, that is), 3 weeks ago.

6 points, no where near the record for states one or electoral votes and the GOP got the snot kicked out of it? Lowering the standards again eh?

6 Points, and about 9 million votes is HUGE, Dxing, any way you slice it. And if you look at the electors, it was a landslide. You can try to spin it any way you like, but the GOP got taken behind the woodshed, and got the shit kicked out of it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

usair320

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 2):
Jeb Bush, or actually maybe he'd be a better choice in 8 years.

I hope your kidding.............The Bush family is done.......I partially approve of Bush sr's job in office....besides the deficet that is.

Quoting N867DA (Reply 3):
Sarah Palin
Rush Limbaugh
Ted Stevens
Donald Rumsfeld
Dick Cheney

Ted Steven's career is done, especially since he will be approaching 90 by that time.
Rumsfeld..........a bit on the arrogant side
Cheney has taken our constitution and shredded it multible times, no thank you.

I'd nominate either Ron Paul or Mitt Romney. Two good Republicans. I know they both stand for different things, but I would trust either of them.

I would choose Ron Paul because as a liberterian leaning conservative(myself), I strongly believe in the principals to which this great nation was founded upon. I believe he would bring those principals back to Washington.