Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EWRCabincrew

RE: Church "Attacked" By Gay Rights Group: Lansing, MI

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:19 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 99):
And you know what, I really truly hope that some compromise can be met. I have yet to meet you and your spouse but from interaction here I have no doubt whatsoever you are geniunely nice people. I'm afraid I will always have trouble reconciling changing the meaning of "marriage" since I feel it goes much deeper and is much more wide in its scope than some people want to allow. I understand the tax problems and legalities that you face and I have no doubt those can be surmounted. I hope it happens, I really do.

One day it will. I truly thank you for your kind words.

when members of the gay community do these types of stunts, they put a large drag on an already tough sled.

They sure do, as do small segments of any group trying to forge ahead.

It's no different than when pictures from Gay pride parades surface of people wearing leather and studs and such

Some people do find that hard to swallow. Even in the gay community. To each his own.

wn700driver

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 am

The only thing bad about this incident is that it is one more thing the religious zealotry will use to try to drag us all kicking and creaming back into the Iron Age. It saddens me that these people got it into their heads that kicking the beast in the nuts this way was a good idea, but I can understand their frustration.

Quote:
Why are some people born mentally retarded? Or missing a limb. Or with mental illness. or with autism, or Blind, or any other deformity or problem that's not quite normal?

So were equating homosexuality with retardation now, huh? Big of you. I see you saying that they should just keep it in the closet if they don't want harassment. I think the same needs to be said of your beliefs. After reading your posts, I can truly say that I am embarrassed to be straight. Mind boggling how someone can still think like that in the 21st Century. Just staggering.

Quote:
Sure, they're born with those urges, but it is their choice when they choose to engage them. And that's whats twisted. Not the urges alone, but the act.

Nice check there. I mean seriously? Your outrage is defense of a god who murders children, floods planets who don't kiss his holy arse, plagued those who were too dark for him, put a hit out on his only son, inspired countless wars and whispered sweet nothings into the mal-formed minds of terrorists. And above all that, can't even be bothered to prove his own existence. You're ok with hating people to please that? Might want to look into controlling those urges.

Sounds like a birth defect to me.  Yeah sure

pwm2txlhopper

RE: Church "Attacked" By Gay Rights Group: Lansing

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:47 am

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 101):
Why are some people born mentally retarded? Or missing a limb. Or with mental illness. or with autism, or Blind, or any other deformity or problem that's not quite normal?

So were equating homosexuality with retardation now,

No, if you want to be like that, then of course you also need to ask "so are we equating homosexuality with missing limbs now? Or being blind?

So no, not necessarily retardation, but a defect non-the-less. Nobody's parents ever think when their new child's born "Oh, I really hope he/she turns out to be gay"

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 101):
Nice check there. I mean seriously? Your outrage is defense of a god who murders children, floods planets who don't kiss his holy arse, plagued those who were too dark for him, put a hit out on his only son, inspired countless wars and whispered sweet nothings into the mal-formed minds of terrorists. And above all that, can't even be bothered to prove his own existence. You're ok with hating people to please that? Might want to look into controlling those urges.

Sounds like a birth defect to me. Yeah sure

Where did I say anything about "my God" I'm not religious. Try actually reading some of what I post.

[Edited 2008-11-19 22:51:59]

dxing

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:51 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 97):
Sure, they're born with those urges, but it is their choice when they choose to engage them. And that's whats twisted. Not the urges alone, but the act.

I'm sorry but that is some really backward thinking. Whom someone chooses to be intimate with, assuming both parties are of age and consenting, is their business and nothing about that should be construed as "twisted". The equating mental retardation and autism to being gay is also way out of line. Those are the kind of statements from the hetrosexual community that make me embarrassed and ashamed.

wn700driver

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 am

Pardon the mistake. Showing outrage at homosexuals for (an admittedly overboard) demonstration at a Christian bastion. And saying things like

Quote:
I just hold traditional, conservative values.

won't find you a lot of common ground outside Xtian or muslim circles. But then you think pedophiles and homosexuals are equal in nature, so you need to be alright with people writing you off as a christian extremist conservative. Your own logic there, guy. Sorry, but if it walks like duck...

flynavy

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 89):
I hope nothing like this happens to any gay person at their civil union or marriage.

One problem - thanks to your vote for Prop 8 (and, gathering from your profile, I'd say it's a good bet that you voted for it), there won't be any more marriages or civil unions, since you've intruded on their marriages and civil unions.

Congratulations! You've meddled in people's lives! Do you sleep better at night now, knowing you've wreaked such havok on a group of law-abiding, American taxpayers you DO NOT EVEN KNOW?

DocLightning

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:42 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 91):
I just hold traditional, conservative values.

OK. This is off the topic of this thread, but I'm calling you on it.

You claim to smoke marijuana every single day. You said so in another thread.

And while I find your habit tragic, abnormal, and self-destructive, I would never dream of forcing you to stop. Oh, if you ever drive a car while under the influence (and thus endanger those on the road with you), I hope you suffer the most severe consequences imaginable. But as long as you keep it to yourself and don't endanger anyone else, that's your business and I even support the complete legalization of all drugs.

Furthermore, if I you don't mind answering, are you a virgin? I seem to recall you aren't married. If you are so into normality and conservative, traditional values, then I sure hope you would be saving it for your wedding night.

But don't claim to lecture me on normality and conservative tradition. This isn't about whether you smoke pot or who smokes it and who doesn't. I'm just calling you a hypocrite for claiming to be the authority on "normal, traditional, conservative values" when the only "normal, traditional, or conservative" behavior you seem to display is hatred of gays.

And spare us the nonsense that you don't hate gays. We don't believe you.

Now, what does this have to do with the topic? If there were a referendum to censor your hate speech, I would fight it with everything I've got. That's because I'm a better man than you will ever be, Hopper. Why? Because while I hate what you say and would spend my lifetime opposing it, I will defend to my dying breath your right to say it.

ual777

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:12 am

Here's what I don't get. Everyone here is being intolerant. Against gays and against the church. Its hard not to get involved and post passionately when people's lives and religious beliefs are involved, but some of the stuff posted here is rediculous. I expect more from the anet crowd personally.

But seriously, from posts about gay-bashing, going back to the iron age, etc. etc. its quite appalling.

NOBODY should be happy about what happened at this church. NOBODY. Likewise people should not take lightly stripping people of a civil liberty. Its that simple.

However, here is my .02....I personally don't believe in gay marriage. I will say it and I'm not afraid to. Am I a homophobe? No. Am I a hate-filled person? no. Its just a personal religious belief. That being said, we live in the US. I am not going to tell someone else what to do with their life. We live in the US where there is a separation of church and state. The whole prop 8 thing is a very gray area legally personally.

Why can't we be in a respectful disagreement instead of holding secret (even if slight) bigotries.

DocLightning

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 107):
However, here is my .02....I personally don't believe in gay marriage. I will say it and I'm not afraid to. Am I a homophobe? No. Am I a hate-filled person? no. Its just a personal religious belief. That being said, we live in the US. I am not going to tell someone else what to do with their life. We live in the US where there is a separation of church and state. The whole prop 8 thing is a very gray area legally personally.

As long as you would have voted no on Prop 8, then I would respect your belief. I don't care if you don't believe in gay marriage or interracial marriage or if you think that only white Christians should get married.

I just care that you don't try to force your belief on me. And I won't try to force mine on yours.

I have made it clear that I deplore the actions of "Bash Back" and that they will find that this gay man has become one of their worst enemies.

ual777

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:21 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 108):

As long as you would have voted no on Prop 8, then I would respect your belief. I don't care if you don't believe in gay marriage or interracial marriage or if you think that only white Christians should get married.

I just care that you don't try to force your belief on me. And I won't try to force mine on yours.

I have made it clear that I deplore the actions of "Bash Back" and that they will find that this gay man has become one of their worst enemies.

I wouldn't have voted on it period. I don't believe in mixing church and state, thus I wouldn't allow my personal beliefs to interfere with that vote at all.

DocLightning

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 109):
I wouldn't have voted on it period. I don't believe in mixing church and state, thus I wouldn't allow my personal beliefs to interfere with that vote at all.

I can respect that, too.

flynavy

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 107):
Its hard not to get involved and post passionately when people's lives and religious beliefs are involved, but some of the stuff posted here is rediculous.

redflag  I wasn't aware a ballot initiative barring freedom of religion was passed. Or perhaps I missed that memo?

ual777

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 111):

redflag I wasn't aware a ballot initiative barring freedom of religion was passed. Or perhaps I missed that memo?

I never said there was, but disrespect and hateful reactions will do nothing but stiffen the opposition.

flynavy

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 112):
I never said there was, but disrespect and hateful reactions will do nothing but stiffen the opposition.

And the gavel sounding in the Supreme Court of the United States will silence the opposition.

ual777

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 113):

And the gavel sounding in the Supreme Court of the United States will silence the opposition.

Time will tell I suppose won't it?