Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

geekydude
Topic Author

Your Opinion On "Whale Wars"

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:23 am

I just got a glimpse of Animal Channel's new program Whale Wars. While I agree that whaling is reprehensible and I appreciate the courage exhibited by the crew of the Steven Irwin, I find nonetheless the strategies employed by Captain Watson and his anti-whaling warriors very disturbing.
Watson seems to have little respect for the safety his crew as evidenced by their poor seamanship. What kind of responsible person would send their crew in harm's way and board a vessel of another country in international waters like pirates? Yeah, their boat the Steve Irwin does fly a pirate flag, believe it or not. I think the Japanese has every right to to detain those people who boarded the ship illegally.
I can't wait to watch what happened in the end. If you have watched the first couple of episodes, what's your opinion on this show?
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

HowSwedeitis

RE: Your Opinion On "Whale Wars"

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 am

Truth be told, I was just waiting for this post...  Wink

I have watched the episodes, (I am at work, and have yet to watch the third) and I feel that the crew signed up to be put in harms way, and that they were fully aware of it when they signed on. Now, do I agree with some of Captain Watson's tactics? No. I see what he is trying to do however. It did garner quite a bit of media attention, and thus will bring more light to the cause, etc. etc. But the crew should have had at least (ATLEAST!) one week to properly train; somewhere close to Australia so that help could arrive if a situation arose. (Such as when they lost the dingy.) The poor seamanship clearly shows which puts the whole crew at risk.

On the issue of whaling, I do not agree with the Japanese stand point. Yes, technically the law is on their side, (*to a point.) but I think it is a farce what they are doing. I mean, come on, "Research?" My ass. So, in that sense, I support the Sea Shepherd; but I think they need to improve their tactics, and stop boarding vessels. I have read that the Japanese had requested that the Sea Shepherd take the men back, but Watson refused. So... what is the Yushin Maru #2 supposed to do? Throw them overboard? I mean, come on...

Throw the stink bombs, take the pictures, harass harass harass, but please, stop with the false "Hostage takings" and/or "Kidnappings!"

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 am

{....waiting for someone to use the "T"-word.}
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

HowSwedeitis

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 2):
{....waiting for someone to use the "T"-word.}

I am sorry, the "T-Word?" What is that? (*Sorry for the ignorance, I just don't get it!)

-HSII. (*Makes the "over my head" sign!*)
Heja Sverige!!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:25 am

...you'll know it when you see it. Give it time.

Or just think of GWB's favorite word.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

HowSwedeitis

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:29 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 4):
...you'll know it when you see it. Give it time.

Or just think of GWB's favorite word.

AH! I got it now.

You are right... give it time!!  sarcastic 

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

luv2cattlecall

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 am

I was actually wanting to start a thread about this...but was too lazy, so I'm glad someone did!

I'm a moderate animal-rights person...I realize that people want to/should be able to eat beef and chicken, for example, but I just wish the animals were raised and killed a bit more humanely.

However, I really can't stand whackjob animal rights groups, because they give the cause a bad name....

There was a thread last year on a.net about the "hostage" incident, and being naive, I felt bad for the Steve Irwin crew...thinking that they really just wanted to give the Japanese ship a letter but got plucked from their boat and held hostage or something...

Then, I saw the show, and the part where the leader pre-meditated the whole thing and had the intent of the guys being taken hostage boiled my blood....and it irked me further when he was upset that the Japanese was going to give the crew back! He wanted them to be held hostage so that he could media-whore!

I think the fact that even Greenpeace hangs up the phone on these clowns says volumes....

Actually, it's just the leader I have issues with...the crew have good intent - and I believe that it's a selfless deed on their part to stick up for the creatures.. The leader, on the other hand, is just an attentionwhore who needs a reality check. I'm sorry...but risking 2 humans to save the lives of 10 whales is a bad equation.

That all being said...the tactics of the Japanese whalers are no better....we know you're not killing 1,000 whales for research...we know the weighing of the gut contents isn't going to cure cancer....grow up.

It's just too bad that Sea Shepard couldn't take the high road.