Mike89406
Topic Author

San Diego Commute Question

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 am

I will be moving to east Chula Vista in December. The area I will be living is on E. Palamor Dr. I will have to drive to work at North Island Naval base. I checked mapquest and others the route shown takes me up I-805 to 54 west to I-5 and on the Coronado Bridge. Since I've been told the bridge is a mess in the morning. Is that the fastest way to go? or should I go around the Silver Strand up by the beaches? Whatever way is quicker what would be my average commute time?

Regards, Mike

tootallsd

RE: San Diego Commute Question

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:46 pm

I've never lived in south county, so I can't give you a definitive answer. There is a freeway map that includes travel speeds at www.sigalert.com that gives you idea of traffic speeds along sections of each highway.

The bridge has multi-directional lanes so they can increase the capacity in the mornings to Coronado and in the afternoon back to San Diego. But it still can be a choke point as well as through Coronado on surface streets to the base gate.

Rain changes all plans during commutes. Also, the number of aircraft carriers with crews on board seems to really alter the number of commuters and commute time.

SlamClick

Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 pm

I moved away from San Diego a long time ago but I think I'd expect the traffic on the Coronado bridge to be from Coronado TO San Diego; opposite of the way you will be driving. Coronado is a bedroom, more of the jobs are in SD.

From Chula Vista I think I might also consider driving down to Imperial Beach and up the Silver Strand to avoid the toll and experience a more pleasant drive.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Tugger

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):

Ouch! One of the more painful commutes unfortunately (the 15 and 5 south in to SD being the worst). Most people who live in Chula Vista head north for work and the base dictates the traffic pain across the bridge and into Coronado, and the only access to the bridge is from the 5.

Basically if you can avoid the prime drive times of 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm you will be better off, if not then plan on at LEAST an hour commute. Fortunately you are not east of the 805 where just getting the the freeway is terrible. Going via 805 will require you to take the 54 to the 5 and that means dealing with two transitions, I think you are better off going directly to the 5. It has been 20 years since I had to deal with the South Bay commute but I still hear the traffic reports and friends who deal with it.

You should check out the traffic at 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm each weekday (though this week is not a good example since the holiday week throws things off). Tootallsd gave a good link and there are many other maps available (Google and Yahoo each have one too) and they are all based on info from here http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/d11tmc/sdmap/showmap.php (though I have heard a new service out just recently that is based on cars that carry a certain GPS map device). Another thing you can do is to stream a couple San Diego radio stations and listen to their traffic reports during the drive time (KFMB760 and KOGO AM600 are probably your best bet as they do traffic every ten minutes at the peak times).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

AnonymousInSAN

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
avoid the toll and experience a more pleasant drive.

The Coronado Bridge no longer has a toll. Everyone is free.

I was born and raised in San Diego but I've always lived in the east county region. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck!

Mike89406
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 3):
Ouch! One of the more painful commutes unfortunately (the 15 and 5 south in to SD being the worst). Most people who live in Chula Vista head north for work and the base dictates the traffic pain across the bridge and into Coronado, and the only access to the bridge is from the 5.

Basically if you can avoid the prime drive times of 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm you will be better off, if not then plan on at LEAST an hour commute. Fortunately you are not east of the 805 where just getting the the freeway is terrible. Going via 805 will require you to take the 54 to the 5 and that means dealing with two transitions, I think you are better off going directly to the 5. It has been 20 years since I had to deal with the South Bay commute but I still hear the traffic reports and friends who deal with it.

I usually have to be at work by 6:45 so that should help.Are you rcommending the bridge instead of driving around the strand? I will be east of 805 in Chula Vista/Otay Mesa however I see that I can over Telegraph Canyon Rd. & West on H st. through downtown Chula Vista avoiding I-805 and on to I-5.

Mike

Tugger

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:20 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 5):
I usually have to be at work by 6:45 so that should help.Are you rcommending the bridge instead of driving around the strand? I will be east of 805 in Chula Vista/Otay Mesa however I see that I can over Telegraph Canyon Rd. & West on H st. through downtown Chula Vista avoiding I-805 and on to I-5.

Yes I am definitely recommending the bridge versus the Strand, the freeway is just faster than the local streets. Driving The Strand you hit traffic lights through IB (Imperial Beach) and then into Coronado while the bridge basically dumps right into the main gate of the base.

OK so you must be talking about E. Palomar Street not Drive in Chula. Well first thing, Telegraph Canyon is one of the worst streets (again remember this is from past memory, current traffic news I hear, and the occasional trip of mine down there now) in the county. Unless things have changed I would suggest avoiding it during normal rush hours, before or after I don't know for sure but it just isn't built to handle the number of houses that have sprung up around it. I would go down to Orange Ave to get on the 805 freeway, even though it looks longer I doubt it is but you'll have to find out when you are here to know for sure. On the idea of getting to the 5 by local streets instead, I just don't know how bad it is but you will be dealing with lots 'o stop signs and I don't think it will be faster than going 805 to 54 to 5.

Ultimately, I think your need to be at work early will be your saving grace. Leave before 6am you should be fine, at 6am just normal base traffic will probably hose you. And I can't see leaving after 6 because every minute after will probably add double to your drive time because you are joining a whole bunch of your best friends crossing the bridge and getting through the main gate.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin