Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dxing
Topic Author

Colmes To Leave Hannity And Colmes

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:24 pm

No word just yet on what's in store for him next but it appears that Alan Colmes has had his fill of debating Sean Hannity every week night. The two had a good chemistry and it will be hard to match Hannity up with anyone else. Note that Colmes is leaving of his own accord, not being forced off. I hope they can find someone to replace Colmes because as a one man band Hannity is too linear and predictable. So is Colmes but at least you get both party lines when they are together.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081124/pl_politico/26523

“I approached Bill Shine (FNC’s Senior Vice President of Programming) earlier this year about wanting to move on after 12 years to develop new and challenging ways to contribute to the growth of the network," Colmes said in a statement. "Although it’s bittersweet to leave one of the longest marriages on cable news, I’m proud that both Sean (Hannity) and I remained unharmed after sitting side by side, night after night for so many years.”

Sean Hannity said Colmes was "a remarkable co-host," "great friend," and "skillful debate partner.”

KFLLCFII

RE: Colmes To Leave Hannity And Colmes

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:54 pm

I bet they can offer Chris Matthews a sweet deal. Big grin

NIKV69

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 1):
I bet they can offer Chris Matthews a sweet deal.

Yes then maybe someone will watch him.

Can't help but feel Colmes is starting to have some proessional hatred here. He has become more and more Hannity's little redheaded step child.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
debating Sean Hannity

Debating??? More like rolling over.

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
it will be hard to match Hannity up with anyone else

Indeed, who else is going to sit there and just let him walk all over them for 11yrs??

If they want that show to have even a semblace of "fair & balance", despite being an opinion piece... how about someone who can actually stand up to Hannity, and not just be a token "Liberal"?

I'd LOVE to see the show become Hannity & (Dan) Savage... a firey, assholish, well-educated, gay Liberal--- who wouldn't hesitate to take it to Hannity on each and every issue. I'd watch.

Or on a more serious tone, Bob Beckel. Or Bill Mauer (even though I can't stand him).
Hell, put Rosie O'Donnell on there... that'd stir up some controversy, er, ratings.

daedaeg

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Alan Colmes is a light weight. He needed to be replaced a decade ago.

max550

Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I guess Fox News will be dropping their Fair and Balanced line now, since they're losing their only "liberal."
Will be interesting to see whether they replace him with a true Liberal or if they don't bother to replace him and give Sean Hannity the whole show to himself.

usair320

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:11 pm

I don't blame him........Hannity is a pure example of neo conservativism......(For the record, before anyone calls me a "stupid Liberal", I consider myself to be a liberterian leaning conservative.)

dxing
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 5):
I guess Fox News will be dropping their Fair and Balanced line now, since they're losing their only "liberal."

That refers to their news reporting, not commentary based shows like O'Reily, H&C, and Greta.

and give Sean Hannity the whole show to himself.

He already has a show to himself on Sunday nights.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 pm

since they're losing their only "liberal."

No, Greta and Geraldo are pretty outspoken on liberal issues as well, but don't have shows aimed solely at highlighting that distinction.

or if they don't bother to replace him and give Sean Hannity the whole show to himself.

They already have on the weekends, and talk about strong o' yarn!

Falcon84

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:06 pm

Now, we can just call it "Hannity and His Blind Followers".

Confuscius

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 4):
Alan Colmes is a light weight.

One and a Half Men Show is breaking up?!

max550

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 7):
He already has a show to himself on Sunday nights.

I know he already has his own show, but one of the possibilities now that Colmes is leaving would be to have it every night.

Quoting DXing (Reply 7):
That refers to their news reporting, not commentary based shows like O'Reily, H&C, and Greta.

O'reilly and Greta I understand, but I thought the whole point of having H&C was to give credibility to the fair and balanced arguement.

dxing
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 11):
O'reilly and Greta I understand, but I thought the whole point of having H&C was to give credibility to the fair and balanced arguement.

Nope. Still commentary, just both sides.

STT757

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:54 pm

The New York Times reports Hannity is going solo, watch the ratings drop.

Ever try listening to his radio show, terrible. This coming from a long time listener of the radio factor and a former Limbaugh listener.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
watch the ratings drop

why would that be the case? Who watched the show for the perspective of Alan Colmes?

They'd only get about 3 minutes of it per hour block if they did... and it usually consists of little more than the words "no Liberals don't", "oh, that's not true... the Republicans too".

santosdumont

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:38 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 8):
since they're losing their only "liberal."

No, Greta and Geraldo are pretty outspoken on liberal issues as well, but don't have shows aimed solely at highlighting that distinction.

They really need to find somebody that can effectively stand up to Hannity...Geraldo does come to mind.

Quoting Max550 (Reply 11):

Quoting Dxing: Nope. Still commentary, just both sides.

Actually, it's a simulated "both-sides" environment. Colmes is nothing more than a punching bag.

As I say, they need to get a heavyweight in there to really make things interesting.

[Edited 2008-11-26 02:42:45]

[Edited 2008-11-26 02:43:51]

ltbewr

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:32 am

It has been very difficult for 'liberals' on such commentary shows for years. Far too often the Conservative side person is a very strong, loud and self-rightous type, while the Liberal side person comes off as much weaker, quieter and less confrontational. I also suspect that liberals like Colmes just get tired of the fight and want to use other ways, especially writing and the web, to present their views without getting beaten up every round. After his many years with dealing with Sean Hannity, I can understand his wanting to move on or go to a less left-right confrontational program.
Maybe they could give him his own show, of a half-hour, ala-Rachael Maddow on MSNBC and on radio where he can bring in more moderate to liberal guests, present that other side to balance the right wingers and their frequent guests.

max550

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 15):
As I say, they need to get a heavyweight in there to really make things interesting.

Sadly it's not going to happen. I'll be surprised if colmes is replaced at all.

mirrodie

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 15):
They really need to find somebody that can effectively stand up to Hannity...Geraldo does come to mind

Here's the problem: Hannity, Ingram, O'Reilly, Limbaugh. They are all just a bunch of blowhards. They spew this conservative edge and when questioning or discussing issues with any other correspondents or guests, they simply talk over them in order to try and make points.

Ingram does it. I'll just talk louder to get my point across.

O'Reilly does it. "" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""

Hannity does it. " " "

Limbaugh does it.

Heck, even my conservative neighbor does the same.

So Colmes, or any other liberal for that matter, don't stand a chance.

While I might agree with many conservative philosophies, the problem is that these assholes can't blast out an argument without hearing an opposing side. And if they do give the opposing side a chance, they answer is to squash what is being said. Point blank. It's unfortunate.

dxing
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 18):
So Colmes, or any other liberal for that matter, don't stand a chance.

Evidently you've never seen Rep. Barney Frank or any number of liberal politicians interviewed. Same with Arianna Huffington, Eleanor Clift, Susan Estrich, Mort Kondracke, or Sam Donaldson on the air.

mirrodie

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 19):
Rep. Barney Frank or any number of liberal politicians interviewed. Same with Arianna Huffington, Eleanor Clift, Susan Estrich, Mort Kondracke, or Sam Donaldson on the air.

The folks you note above are capable speakers. But put them up against the blowhards I mentioned and you get nothing but incomprehensive noise most of the time.

dxing
Topic Author

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 20):
But put them up against the blowhards I mentioned and you get nothing but incomprehensive noise most of the time.

Yep, from both sides. Neither will allow the other to make any point without interruption.

mirrodie

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 21):
Neither will allow the other to make any point without interruption.

Right, which makes watching these shows a waste of time.

O'Reilly, when speaking out on talking points and not toward others, is actually decent.

santosdumont

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 22):
O'Reilly, when speaking out on talking points and not toward others, is actually decent.

That's because all he has to do is read the cue cards.

His recent talking points on the economic mess have been interesting, save for the gratuitious jabs at the usual suspects...(Barney Frank, NBC, etc.)

NIKV69

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Here's the problem: Hannity, Ingram, O'Reilly, Limbaugh. They are all just a bunch of blowhards. They spew this conservative edge and when questioning or discussing issues with any other correspondents or guests, they simply talk over them in order to try and make points.

Ingram does it. I'll just talk louder to get my point across.

O'Reilly does it. "" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""

Hannity does it. " " "

Limbaugh does it.

Heck, even my conservative neighbor does the same

I don't know who you are watching Mario but the only one that does that from the above list is O'Reilly. If you get him mad he will lose his temper as we saw with Geraldo and Barney Frank BUT. If you replay the tape and listen to what he is saying in both those cases he was spot on. In Geraldo's case it was the murder committed by the illegal immigrant that could have been avoided and with Frank we was right about Frank dropping the ball on that company he was on record as being a good investment. Ingraham, Hannity and Rush are all pretty much accurate in their reporting but it has gottent to the point with the left in this country (and yourself in my case) that if you don't agree then you are a loud confederate flag waving right wing nut. It's pretty lame.

mirrodie

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
I don't know who you are watching Mario but the only one that does that from the above list is O'Reilly.

Nick, those are the beings I've been watching/listening to over the past 2 months. Ingram, Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh. In the admittedly short amount of time that I have paid attention to them, that is what I have observed.

Ingraham, Hannity and Rush are all pretty much accurate in their reporting

And if you pay attention to what I said, I have not brought their accuracy of reporting into the equation.

Simply said, my observation is that when disagreed with, they simply talk louder and quelch an opposing position.

with the left in this country (and yourself in my case) that if you don't agree then you are a loud confederate flag waving right wing nut.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Nick, not only are you manipulating my words, you are taking a sungular discussion you and I held a few weeks ago and extrapolating your own far fetched extreme opinion to make a blanket statement here.

No matter how you break it, Nick, you are a nut. And I've got nothing but love for you brother!  

[Edited 2008-11-26 12:36:32]

[Edited 2008-11-26 12:37:08]

NIKV69

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 25):
not only are you manipulating my words

Manipulating?

They are all just a bunch of blowhards. They spew this conservative edge and when questioning or discussing issues with any other correspondents or guests

Ok, then..

And if you pay attention to what I said, I have not brought their accuracy of reporting into the equation.

Simply said, my observation is that when disagreed with, they simply talk louder and quelch an opposing position.

Which is it? I have watched them all for a long time and like I said with a few instances with Bill this is not the case.

No matter how you break it, Nick, you are a nut. And I've got nothing but love for you brother!

I know you told me that when you called me a radical right winger, now if I only was one.  crazy 

mirrodie

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Manipulating?

Yes. Feel free to cut and paste the entire relevant sentence, where I said, "They spew this conservative edge and when questioning or discussing issues with any other correspondents or guests, they simply talk over them in order to try and make points." And I feel that is true.

So there is no "which is it?", Nick. I have not given an opposing viewpoint.

After 2 months of watching, its my opinion that they all hold a conservative edge (not a hard right wing stance on all issues) and in order to try and make themselves heard, they just talk over their guests.

I saw it just 2 nights ago with Ingram and even my wife made similar comment regarding how she was speaking with a guest about abortion. That type of presentation on a topic is a turn off for me, sorry. And that is irrelevant to the views being presented, its the manner of presentation I find unreasonable.

No matter what, you are a radical, fanatical nut. Wondering. Is a Hannity and Vollaro in the works?

dxing
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:09 am

In actuality I wish that they could just drop Hannity altogether and replace him with Dennis Miller. At least there would be some comedic relief.

cptkrell

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:45 am

Me thinks it would have happened already (that show has been on 11 years??). My thinking is towards a more conservative viewpoint but I could never figure out (and dislike) why this TV program was always seemingly oriented in such a way as Alan Colmes was the everynight "whipping boy". Far from "fair and balanced". Never agreed with the H/C format.

Now, I'll admit that I probably watch this screaming over each other (unintelligible loud yakking against guests too) less than 1 total hour per any given week, but even THAT''S too much. I don't blame Colmes for wanting to bail out but after listening to Hannity a few times over the past some weeks on the radio, I kind of think he should bail out, too. Damn, that's headache city.

It would be nice if you could hear what they were actually saying (hard to do when three or so people are yelling over each other), but that's the new TV ain't it.

Flame me if you want but I actually enjoy Rush more, minus the occassional tirade, over some of the other clowns (Oh, if there's a higher power, protect the me and the rest of the non-thinking unwashed from the likes of Kampf Olbermann).

Oooops...I just got some thinking back; I can change the channel. Regards...jack