Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

midcon385

RE: Terror Strikes At Mumbai [Bombay]

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 11):
I know that a lot of crews stay at the Oberoi and Taj.

According to ABC News (US) the DL and NW crews are at one of these hotels and are accounted for. They are to be flown out of India ASAP.

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

N867DA

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:48 pm

disgusting pieces of shit need to be dealt without any mercy at all. It's a sad day when India lets itself get hit so often (2006 train bombing anyone?) without going after these degenerates. Hopefully the country will stop pussyfooting around.

Bharat ki Jai!
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

OA260

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 51):
without going after these degenerates. Hopefully the country will stop pussyfooting around.

The political parties in India have been too busy fighting between themselves and security has been lapse in recent months. This is a time when the politicians should come together and stop putting personal gain in front of their citizens lives.

A comprehensive security review needs to be done and improvements made especially in intelligence gathering.

Mortyman

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:02 am

From what I have read in Norwegian media, the terrorists are interested in hostages with English and American passports...

OA260

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 53):
the terrorists are interested in hostages with English and American passports...

Yes British nationals have been interviewed and they confirmed that.

Video here ::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751160.stm

Sky News still saying hostages are being held in one hotel and situation not over. I guess its chaos so hard to get proper info. 7 locations were targeted .

deaphen

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:20 am

Yup it sucks.. my uncle is still in the Taj hotel, no news from him yet, last he was in a safe place, but not news after that.

Last heard from about 5 hours ago.

Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

mdsh00

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 am

This whole scene is heartbreaking. It also makes me sad because I feel it could be a tipping point for a violent response either by civilians or military. 2008 has seen a lot of terrorist bombings throughout the country and I can imagine if NRI's are tired of it, Indians must be even more tired of this sensless bullshit. Why these people can't live and let others live is beyond me. Here's hoping that there are no more victims and the military goes in there and puts an end to this attack.

Mortyman

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 55):
Yup it sucks.. my uncle is still in the Taj hotel, no news from him yet, last he was in a safe place, but not news after that.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it turns out well

OA260

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:30 am

no news from him yet, last he was in a safe place, but not news after that.

Im sure he is ok . Its probably due to the fact that they have cut off communications for their own safety. Let us know when you hear something.

prebennorholm

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:45 am

my uncle is still in the Taj hotel, no news from him yet, last he was in a safe place, but not news after that.

Hopefully your uncle is OK. During such an event police will jam mobile phones connections and other sorts of communication at the hot spots in order to make it harder for the terrorists to coordinate their acts.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

N867DA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 56):
violent response either by civilians or military.

A violent response by civilians would be very very bad indeed. But why is it so bad if the military goes through, picks up these pathetic excuses for humans and shoots them like the animals they are? Frankly, this should have been done years ago. Twenty years after the Kashmir insurgency, decades after Blue Star, two years after the train blasts ... the country STILL cannot decidedly kill scum?

usair320

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:59 am

Latest death toll is 87.........May the deceased RIP, and may the offenders burn in hell.

usair320

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 61):
Latest death toll is 87

by the way my source is CNN's live broadcast on TV. Subject to change.

OA260

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 am

Sky News are saying around 80 dead and 11 of which were Policemen and 1000 injured! Also Western hostages still being held in the hotel.

ojas

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:21 am

Sad day for Mumbai, repeated terrorist attacks. And the politicians will now only take this issue to fight against one another in the next general elections.

I hope those terrorists are tortured to death, my close friend got shot and is battling for life. My prayers for everyone.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

pnqiad

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 32):
I used to stay at the Oberoi and the slightly cheaper Oberoi Towers (right next door to each other) at least once every couple of weeks, and I usually saw air crews at the Towers. They are connected though by a long corridor, and I have not heard anything that indicates that the terrorists have taken over both buildings or not - they just talk about "the Oberoi", which is a usage usually reserved for the higher-priced section.

Are you sure about this? AFAIK there is only 1 Oberoi and 2 Tajs - Taj Mahal Palace and Taj Mahal Tower (slightly cheaper than the grander Taj Mahal Palace). Taj Mahal Palace is the one up in flames currently.

As of 7 am, new rounds of firing were heard a few minutes ago at the Taj.

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:16 am

Checking in....

I hope all your families are ok...

I checked with mine and all is fine..

pnqiad

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting Ojas (Reply 64):
my close friend got shot and is battling for life.

Hope and pray it will turn out well. I am waiting ot hear from a cousin of mine who lives in Colaba area - but a little farther out from the Taj.

Dreadnought

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 am

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 65):
Are you sure about this?

At the time - absolutely. But that was back in 1999-2001 when I was GM of a subsidiary we had in India. It might have changed since then.

OK, I looked it up, and it appears that now it's called the Oberoi Trident or Trident Towers, and is a sub-brand of Oberoi. But 8-10 years ago it was the Oberoi Towers, and was operated seperately from the Oberoi next door.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:39 am

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 67):
Quoting Ojas (Reply 64):
my close friend got shot and is battling for life.

Hope and pray it will turn out well. I am waiting ot hear from a cousin of mine who lives in Colaba area - but a little farther out from the Taj.

I hope your families and friends are ok...and Ojas for you...I hope your friend makes it through this.

A friend of mine lives...RIGHT across the street from the Oberoi...and can see into the hotel from his room...I've yet to hear from him.

But I must say...amid all of this...I am starting to really believe the People of Mumbai are among the best people in the world...

They were showing people getting shot on tv...but as soon as someone does....people surround him trying to help him...run him to a hospital...

I applaud the spirit of the people of this City....I've only stayed in Mumbai for a total of 6 months of my life...but I really respect the people of this city at this time.

BarfBag

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:28 am

The more news that arrives, the clearer the Al-Qaeda involvement. The terrorists are Muslim, based on their actions and demands:
* The Nariman House, place of residence to several Indian Jews and Israelis, was attacked, and many Jewish residents shot dead.
* US and UK passport holders were specifically targeted for killing or hostage taking, while even Italians were spared.
* A Turkish tourist who escaped informed the press his parents were ordered back to their rooms by the terrorists and told not to leave, with the assurance of not being harmed because they were Muslim.
* One terrorist who acted as spokesman 'Sahdulla', demanded release of Islamic terrorists in India and that Muslims not be harmed.

His demands were rejected by the Indian government, which chose to press on with counter-terrorist operations. The government rightly does not want a protracted hostage negotiation problem, and wants immediate sanitisation of all locations.

Commandos are currently securing all the targeted places, which will take time since they are tall buildings. Sniper nests have been set up. The Taj Mahal hotel fire is under control, but still persists because 6 terrorists holed up in the 6th floor are repeatedly starting fires.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:46 am

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 49):
authorities refused to negotiate

Correct path.No compromise with terror.....

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 56):
Indians must be even more tired of this sensless bullshit

true....earlier it was bomb blasts,this is a 1st of its kind.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 64):
my close friend got shot and is battling for life

Hopefully he gets well fast.

my uncle is still in the Taj hotel

If he was in a safe zone,its a matter of time.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 69):
I applaud the spirit of the people of this City....

True....The Spirit of Mumbai is what helps the citizens return back to work the next day.
But...This terror strikes should end......The Indian defence forces should strike at the root of these training camps.

Good thing is that Telivision transmission in the Hotels [Taj/Trident] have been switched off to avoid the terrorist to have an update on the events unfolding.

The army has cordoned the area & a battle will soon commence to free the hostages & eliminate the terrorists.

Pakistan has proposed a hotline between the intelligence agencies of India & pakistan....but the problem is the rogue elements in the pak forces that still support the militant angle & could expose the Indian intelligence network source.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Mir

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:09 am

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 49):
reports claim Taj Mahal hotel encounter has ended, and that terrorists have been killed by commandos

Good riddance.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 64):
I hope those terrorists are tortured to death, my close friend got shot and is battling for life. My prayers for everyone.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and hope he makes a full recovery. My thoughts are with all the citizens of Mumbai who have to deal with these senseless acts. Stay strong, things will get better.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:17 am

The Taj was not cleared then......In fact
Ambulances/fire tenders moving towards the Taj.....looks like the Taj is cleared of terrorists after 12 hrs.But still not confirmed yet.

Trident & Nariman house stage offs continues.Looks very serious.

Suspected that the terrorists came via sea from Pakistan.

regds
MEL

[Edited 2008-11-26 22:41:13]

jcs17

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 am

We love you India.

From an American, the Sikhs have said it best: "There is one supreme eternal reality; the truth; immanent in all things; creator of all things; immanent in creation. Without fear and without hatred; not subject to time; beyond birth and death; self-revealing. Known by the Guru’s grace."

As a nominal Christian, I think this quote can adequately sum up my feelings.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Beaucaire

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:22 am

All my deepest condolence to the families of victims of this terrible attack.I've been in the past to the Oberoi Hotel myself. Let's hope that the Indian forces will manage to get rid of this pest without exposing the lives of the remaining hostages.
Pakistan will have to answer some questions if those who executed the attack were comming from Pakistan..but it is way to early to be certain of anything at this early stage.
I read Indian security forces found 8 Kg of military grade explosives near the Taj..
But let this horrible incident be one more reason to intensify intelligence operations and co-operations between Pakistan and India-the only meaningful way to eradicate those rogue-elements of the human society..
Escalating politically the tense relations between the two countries would only worsen things .

[Edited 2008-11-26 23:23:53]
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Beaucaire

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 am

"There are indications that the perpetrators of the crime, who arrived in Mumbai by boats, are Pakistani nationals," authoritative sources said.

The indications are based on information gathered from captured terrorists, the sources said.

Maharashtra deputy chief minister R R Patil, who also holds the Home portfolio, said revealing detailed information on the terror strikes could prove detrimental at this juncture.

"We have total clues. But disclosing information would not help the case," Patil said. "This is an attack on the country. We will disclose information at an appropriate time," he said

deaphen

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:10 am

good news on my uncle, he was rescued after some 11 hours, he and 4 others were holed up in a room bathroom.

thank God!

What a tragedy.

Regards
Nitin

OA260

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:17 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 73):
Suspected that the terrorists came via sea from Pakistan.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 76):
"There are indications that the perpetrators of the crime, who arrived in Mumbai by boats, are Pakistani nationals," authoritative sources said.

If this turns out to be true then its very sad. Even more reason why India and Pakistan should work together to have some sort of joint counter terrorist organisation to crush these people. The problem is that I guess there is little enthusiasm on both sides.

Beaucaire

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 am

A series of new blasts have been heard coming from the Oberoi Hotel and another building in the south of Mumbai.
It seems all hostages that were held in the Taj -Hotel freed by special forces.
This is an ongoing battle - sad days for India !

NAV20

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 am

Fingers crossed for everyone who has family/friends involved. Some Aussies have been killed (inevitably) but no-one I know, up to now.

Two things occur to me. The first is that this is a different SORT of attack. Not just a 'one-off' bombing outrage carried out by a few highly-prepared nutcases, but just arming kids with rifles and grenades and sending them out to kill as many people as they can before the security forces wipe them out.

The second thing is, this has largely to do with cricket.........

Sounds crazy on the face of it - but the game of cricket is high on the list of the things that bind the British Commonwealth together. And the unique thing about the Commonwealth is that it is one of the very few organisations worldwide that includes within itself all races and all religions.

The facts are that India's cricketers have (very recently) established themselves as the best in the world. They have just comprehensively beaten both Australia and England. Just as important, they have recently developed new forms of the game that are attracting a huge worldwide TV audience (NOT including me, but that is a subject for a cricket thread  Smile).

The England team stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel just two weeks ago. They just called off the remainder of their tour, including two Test Matches. A number of Australian state and England county teams, plus Pakistani and West Indian teams, and leading players from all over the world, were due to depart (literally yesterday) for two major tournaments in India, and they are not going either.......

It stands to reason that no country on earth can risk sending their top sporting teams to stay in big hotels, and still more to play in stadiums containing up to 100,000 people, if there is any chance of more incidents like this........

And getting a series of 'nation-binding' events of such huge prominence called off, at a stroke, is a huge victory for the evil men who run the world-wide terrorist conspiracy.

Leaves me thinking that the Commonwealth (not for the first time, remembering WW2) has a special responsibility. It is the only world institution that I know of in which both sorts of Muslims, all kinds of Hindus, and all three or four kinds of Christians can usually make common cause (especially about cricket).

I reckon the chips are now down, guys. "We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately," as Ben Franklin so brilliantly put it back in 1775 at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

For myself, I plan, from now on, to give unswerving support to all Commonwealth countries and institutions (including my own government, which is a high price to pay  Smile) until this curse of mindless worldwide terrorism is rooted out, once and for all.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

CPH-R

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 80):
The England team stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel just two weeks ago. They just called off the remainder of their tour, including two Test Matches.

Only the rest of the One-day series have been cancelled so far, with discussions continuing over whether to cancel the test series as well or not. One of the test matches are scheduled to be played in Mumbai from December 19th.

It appears that the terrorists may have sailed in from Pakistan ( http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...-Karachi-via-sea-to-Mumbai/391329/ ), so I can imagine that at least one more tour will either be cancelled (India in Pakistan in January).

Aaron747

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 80):

And getting a series of 'nation-binding' events of such huge prominence called off, at a stroke, is a huge victory for the evil men who run the world-wide terrorist conspiracy.

They can make us cancel, postpone, and become more vigilant, but they can never scare or otherwise force us to accommodate their views, much less give them the kind of societal paradigm they want. These numbskulls are incapable of figuring that part out. Every time they shit all over their so-called religion with these acts, they send whatever they claim to represent back to the Stone Age.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BarfBag

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 pm

The terrorist who made the demands on call spoke with a Pakistani Pathan accent - very revealing pronunciation traits, and the use of Urdu idioms not native to India, where Hindi/Sanskrit words are common usage and the language is more 'Hindustani' than sanitised Urdu.

Focus has shifted to the Nariman House, where several Jewish residents have been held hostage, and a few murdered by these scum. Among the terrorist liquidated so far, are H&K MP5s and CDs meticulously detailing the attack plans.

England, I'm afraid, made the right decision in aborting the cricket tour. Not that they're losing much, being down 0-5 in a seven match tour... The situation is far too grave to risk anything further until India has had the latitude to impose itself firmly upon the matter.

deaphen

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Also one of the Senior Generals at the scene has confirmed that one of the arrested terrorists is from Faridkot in Pakistan.

And that from voices of the terrorists heard from the Oberoi, they are talking in Punjabi, which probably also means they are from Pakistani/Punjabi descent.

Anyone here think that this could be the spark for a war? between us and pak?

Nitin

BarfBag

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 85):

No no.... that's what they *expect*. But the response is unlikely to be so expected.

Gman94

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:14 pm

I can understand why the rest of the ODI series has been called off but I hope that the two test series goes ahead between India and England to stick two fingers up to these evil scum and let them know that they'll never win. Australia did not pull out of the 2005 Ashes when the 7th July attacks happened in London so I hope the England team do the same and stand shoulder to shoulder with our Indian friends.

My sincere condolences to all affected by this outrage.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

Emirates773ER

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:28 pm

Also one of the Senior Generals at the scene has confirmed that one of the arrested terrorists is from Faridkot in Pakistan.

And that from voices of the terrorists heard from the Oberoi, they are talking in Punjabi, which probably also means they are from Pakistani/Punjabi descent.

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 84):
The terrorist who made the demands on call spoke with a Pakistani Pathan accent - very revealing pronunciation traits, and the use of Urdu idioms not native to India, where Hindi/Sanskrit words are common usage and the language is more 'Hindustani' than sanitised Urdu.

Actually they are indian and speaking in 'hindi'......

A group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attacks but little is known of it.

The men were of South Asian appearance and reportedly spoke Hindi, indicating they originated in India.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7752173.stm
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

deaphen

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 88):

Yes those were the initial reports, now the General under whom the operation is being carried out revealed that they intercepted some conversations between the attackers while they were carrying out the siege.

In that, they were speaking Punjabi, and also the identity of one of the arrested has been established as one Abdul .......... (dont remember the full name) from Faridkot, Pakistan.

Regards
Nitin

N867DA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:09 pm

AFP says different but they could be wrong.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...ALeqM5gVbVwixvZgcPEQ0_etTsSr3RTvKw

I've heard reports of Urdu being spoken too. Given that there are a good bunch of people maybe they are from both India and Pakistan (among other countries). Hopefully they get to meet their maker soon.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 78):
The problem is that I guess there is little enthusiasm on both sides.

The real reason is that there are still many elements on the Pakistani side that are supporting these terror groups,so even if the Governments are ready to talk,things will be leaked out to those groups by the rogue elements in the Pakistani intelligence.

I don't think so this time,as Zardari has stated that they too are victims,but i feel he will be forced to provide more effort that he is dealing with these terror groups at home seriously.

A group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attacks but little is known of it.

The men were of South Asian appearance and reportedly spoke Hindi, indicating they originated in India.

The idea by External groups is to claim responsibility by a new name to shift the focus to make believe its a domestic group,wheres the culprits are accross the border.
In this case,they were talking in Punjabi with an urdu accent.
time will tell.

The loss of the top cops is a sad affair,as is the civillians & guests too.

When the Para military forces appeared on the scene,there was applause by the locals & chants of "Bharat mata ki jai" & "vande Matharam" & "Jai hind"

The locals are so agitated that if it was not for weapons the terrorists would have been mobbed by the citizens.

Last night they threw stones on the terrorists firing at crowds at the L.cafe,inspite of the shooting.
I guess the local citizens are getting fed up of these strikes & want action fast.

Maybe a Strike on the terror training camps accross the border.

regds
MEL

[Edited 2008-11-27 08:12:18]

Lumberton

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Here are some observations from a Professor Brahma Chellaney, a professor of strategic studies at the privately-funded Center for Policy Research, New Delhi. Of course, these are his opinions, but I wonder if this incident will precipitate a public policy debate in India and elsewhere?
India Under Terrorist Siege

Quote:
Brahma Chellaney, 11.27.08, 10:00 AM EST
Mumbai burns, officials fiddle.

But as the Mumbai strikes show, India--because of its location next to the Pak-Afghan belt and its eyesore status for jihadists as the only real democratic, secular state in the arc stretching from Jordan to Malaysia--will stay on the frontline of the fight against global terror. To unravel the Indian republic, the jihadists have sought to undermine its rising economic strength by repeatedly making its financial capital their target since 1993, choosing to carry out their latest strikes at a time when foreigners already have been heavy sellers of Indian equities, and Obama is inheriting problems of historic proportions.

The attacks were exceptionally brazen and daring, even when viewed against the high level of terrorism now tormenting India. Indeed, since 9/11, the world has not witnessed terrorism on this scale or level of sophistication and coordination. However, the most troubling questions arising from the latest terrorist attacks--the eighth in a spate of attacks in India in the past five months--relate to why the country has become an easy target for terrorists. Transnational terrorists, including those tied to Al Qaeda, are waging an open war on India, yet the Indian leadership is unable to declare a war on terror. . . .

What India needs is a credible counterterror campaign. But what its harried citizens get after each major terrorist attack are stock platitudes, such as a commitment to defeat the designs of terrorist forces. Empty rhetoric is eating into the vitals of internal security. Indeed, after the government’s ritual condemnation of each attack and the standard promise to defeat terror, India puts the strikes behind it and goes back to what now defines it--partisan politics and scandal. That is, until terror strikes again. Worse, the fight against terror has been increasingly politicized and got linked to communal, electoral and vote-bank considerations.

Combating terror demands at least four different elements--a well-thought-out strategy, effective state instruments to implement that strategy, a credible legal framework to speedily bring terrorists to justice, and unflinching political resolve to stay the course. India is deficient on all four.

Unlike other important victims of terror in the world, India has no published counterterror doctrine. And a retiring Chief Justice of India was compelled to remind fellow citizens that, “We don’t have the political will to fight terrorism”. Weak leadership, political one-upmanship and an ever-shifting policy approach indeed have spurred on more terrorism. Not a single case of terrorist attack in recent years has been cracked, yet in the ongoing Malegoan bombing probe, the nation has witnessed the bizarre spectacle of authorities deliberately leaking tidbits of information on a daily basis.

The Indian system has become so effete that terrorists have again exposed the woeful lack of adequate training and preparedness on the part of those tasked to fight terror. Such was the level of police ineptitude that several high-ranking law enforcement officials, including the anti-terrorism squad head, were killed soon after the terrorists struck. As a result, the army had to be called in to deal with the situation.

This paragraph is particularly scathing:

Quote:
Against this background, India serves as an exemplar of how not to fight terror. In fact, through its forbearing approach, the country has come to accept terrorist strikes as the ostensible products of its unalterable geography or destiny. Its response to the jihadist strategy to inflict death by a thousand cuts has been survival by a thousand bandages. Just as it has come to brook a high level of political corruption, it is willing to put up with a high incidence of terrorism.

Some might view this harsh criticism as "piling on" in the wake of this criminal attack, but is there merit to his charges?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:18 pm

As Majority of the people of INDIA are asking from the Government for a long time now.....
If the USA can invade Afghanistan & Iraq after terror.Why can't India strike the camps in POK.
Why listen to words advicing restraint from others & have our citizens exposed to terror every 20 days.

If a war has to be fought let it be so.........India will be hurt but the enemy would be wiped out.

In case We do not get practical support from accross the border to fight terror,Why should we believe the lies of support & expose our citizens to terror strikes every time.

This time its Too much....Too long......Too many times.......

DEMOCRATIC INDIA will always survive....Unity in diversity & the largest Democracy in the world will never be defeated by these cowardly attacks.

regds
MEL

N867DA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 93):
If the USA can invade Afghanistan & Iraq after terror

While it'd be nice to go into certain countries and clean house, remember there is a tremendous price to pay. Sadly India cannot afford to do it right now--it almost certainly lacks the funds or the 'political capital' to do it.

Beaucaire

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 93):
DEMOCRATIC INDIA will always survive....Unity in diversity & the largest Democracy in the world will never be defeated by these cowardly attacks.

Hawk- I'm with you 100% -but India has to wake upe and get it's intelligence-community in order !
Democracy is only as good as the framework of it's institutions -and as long as they can grant the enemies of democracy to fail.Indian politics have enjoyed a worldwide respect and support-but you have to be honest and no try to find the reasons of the institutional failures in Pakistan's SIS but within the Dehli parliamant.
I'm following intelligence news -well at least the ones available to the greater public- since quite some years.And unfortunately India has never really distinguished itself in its inability to have mil and civil intelligence working together.There has always been an underlying arrogance by both sides that "the other" can't really cope with the threat and the appropriate threat-analysis.
This is not a matter of police or military but strictly a matter of political inability to draw the right conclusions.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 94):
Sadly India cannot afford to do it right now--it almost certainly lacks the funds or the 'political capital' to do it.

True.Finanicially India may not have the economic strength,but a 20 yr bleed every 20 days is not fun too.
The people responsible for terror acts & their sympathizers both domestically & Internationally should realise that India cannot be paitent forever.The people are asking questions from their leadership.

regds
MEL

N867DA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Radio France Intl:
"By all accounts, it is a terrorist outfit from Pakistan because a number of the terrorists have been captured and one has given his name, only his first name, and said that he is from Faridkot," says analyst Kamal Mitra Chenoy of Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University.
[source: http://www.rfi.fr/actuen/articles/107/article_2258.asp]
...but this raises a few questions. There is a Faridkot in India too. I wonder how they know so surely he is from Pakistan.

But seriously, what will change? Nada rein. Everyone will cry, the dead will be cremated, and within a month the only people who will care are widows, half-orphans, and parents...plus a few corporations who are assessing damage. The government lacks the nuts to do a single thing. and as Beaucaire has pointed out communications and intelligence are not nearly as advanced as they should be.

Mark you calendars for 2010: the next wave will come.

[Edited 2008-11-27 08:45:50]

cumulus

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:39 pm

I have mate who is a Sargent in 2 Para, he tells me a Unit from the SAS has been deployed from their HQ in Buckinghamshire and is standing by "to assist as necessary" securing British interests (people I imagine).

God help the terrorists if they are let off the lead!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 95):
people responsible for terror acts & their sympathizers both domestically

-
This leads to some questions :
> is the name "Deccan ...." meaning anything real ? And if so what ?
> what is the regional or national origin of these terrorists right now ?
> do the weapons they use hint to specifics ?

victrola

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 78):
Even more reason why India and Pakistan should work together to have some sort of joint counter terrorist organisation to crush these people. The problem is that I guess there is little enthusiasm on both sides.

The problem is that the Pakistani intelligence organizations are completely infiltrated by Islamic extremists. Pakistan has been flirting with Islamic extremism for too long. Who was the greatest supporter of the Taliban? Pakistan!

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 92):
DEMOCRATIC INDIA will always survive....Unity in diversity & the largest Democracy in the world will never be defeated by these cowardly attacks

India, in spite of all the difficulties it has faced since independence, has always remained a multi ethnic, multi religious democracy. This is quite an acomplishment. In the last several years, India has been able to achieve solid economic growth as well. This is in contrast to its neighbor Pakistan, which can be described as nothing less than a failed state.

In this difficult moment we in the United States should show solidarity with our fellow democracy India.