flynavy
Topic Author

Bush's Christmas-Themed Hannukah Card

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:01 am

Their latest example of gross ineptitude:

Quote:
Bushes Send Out Christmas-Themed Hannukah Card

Merry Hanukkah from the White House!

The president and the first lady invited leaders of America's Jewish community for a Hanukkah reception at the White House next month - but raised more than a few eyebrows by putting a picture of a Christmas tree on the invitation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1...s-send-out-christmas_n_146772.html

While I doubt most Jews really care, it sure is damned tacky.

Cadet985

RE: Bush's Christmas-Themed Hannukah Card

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:12 am

As a Jew, I just think it shows carelessness and ineptitude. I think it's sad but funny.

Marc

[Edited 2008-11-26 23:13:31]

johnboy

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:44 am

I got a chuckle out of that story, but it makes me wonder -- don't they run this kind of stuff past someone who might say, "Um.....no."

flynavy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 2):
I got a chuckle out of that story, but it makes me wonder -- don't they run this kind of stuff past someone who might say, "Um.....no."

They probably ran it by the same guy who vetted Michael "Heck of a Job" Brown for FEMA director prior to Hurricane Katrina.

NIKV69

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:43 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1...s-send-out-christmas_n_146772.html

Oh my Arianna Huffington? Chris your reaching.

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
While I doubt most Jews really care

You could add most people to that statement.

Mir

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Apparently, this is the picture in question:

While I doubt most Jews really care,

This Jew doesn't, though that's mostly because nothing about this President surprises me anymore.

-Mir

jfk69

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Its Funny, its silly, We have enough other crap to deal with now.

johnboy

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Maybe they told George and Laura that it was a Hannukah bush.

Hell, after all those Pisco Sours in Peru, you could've told George he was the best President ever and he'd believe it.

luv2fly

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:22 pm

And they say Biden puts his foot in his mouth often. I think Bush has him beat by a mile.

N867DA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:28 pm

The card was a bit of a blunder. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. At least there was a card for different religions instead of a card with a generic winter scene and 'Happy Holidays!' scribbled inside.

Sometimes it's the thought that counts.

787seattle

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:40 am

Merry Hanukkah from the White House!

Chag Christmas, President Bush.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 1):
As a Jew, I just think it shows carelessness and ineptitude. I think it's sad but funny.

Same here. I think that it gives our nation's leader a bad reputation to both Jews and non-Jews that he doesn't know how to distinguish one holiday from another (Christmas and Hanukkah are quite different). That's just an opinion. Most people say Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 7):
Maybe they told George and Laura that it was a Hannukah bush.

rotfl 

DocLightning

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 am

Yeah. That's my reaction. I'm not offended by the X-mas tree per se, but by the fact that I expect the leader of the U.S. to know that it doesn't belong on a Chanukkah card. That should be a no-brainer.

It's not like he put a picture of a burning cross or anything like that, but it sure does make him look stupid.

BTW, there is no single correct spelling for Chanukkah. The true correct spelling is in Hebew. I spell it my way, other people use one or two N's, K's and may or may not use the initial C or final H. The CH starting is because the first sound is actually a gutteral (a throat-clearing sound), not an H. The actual spelling is Chet-Nun-Kaph-He (with associated vowels).

WunalaYann

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 9):
Sometimes it's the thought that counts.

checkmark  I agree with you.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
I'm not offended by the X-mas tree per se,

Well, you must admit that it does take a lot to offend YOU...  biggrin 

Klaus

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:41 am

As a Jew, I just think it shows carelessness and ineptitude.

As a human being, I don't really expect any better from this particular bunch of people any more...!  mischievous 

comorin

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:52 am

Did the Hanukkah card then go to the Saudis?  scratchchin 

WunalaYann

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 14):
Did the Hanukkah card then go to the Saudis? scratchchin

Weren't they supposed to receive an invitation to the next Dalai Lama conference?  biggrin 

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
As a human being,

Understood, but since when are you Krauts human, hey?  devil   biggrin 

dxing

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 am

Does anyone know if the President actually saw these before they went out? Because it turns out this is a function of the First Ladies office, not the Office of the President. While I am usually loathe to use blogs as sources this one has the most detail of any story I have seen, certainly more than the two line dig in the OP.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Mrs. Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough, attributed the snafu to a "staff mistake" in not printing separate cards for the different White House holiday events, as has been the custom in years past. "Mrs. Bush is apologetic, It is just something that fell through the cracks," she said, referring to the role of the First Lady's office in sending out the invitations.

Oh and BTW:

McDonough added that the White House had received "dozens" of calls of support from members of the Jewish community to express their appreciation for what President and Mrs. Bush had done for them through the course of Mr. Bush's presidency.

So typical to bash first and look for the facts second.

rjpieces

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting 787seattle (Reply 10):
that he doesn't know how to distinguish one holiday from another

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
leader of the U.S.

You both assume that the President of the United States chooses which card is used for an invitation for a holiday reception (of which there are dozens every year). I seriously doubt he reviewed it beforehand.

For what it's worth, I could care less. This President has been one of the strongest defenders of the Jewish people in the history of that office, even if many Jews disagree with him on a lot of issues. He deserves the gratitude of our community.

DocLightning

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:10 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):

You both assume that the President of the United States chooses which card is used for an invitation for a holiday reception (of which there are dozens every year). I seriously doubt he reviewed it beforehand.

No, I assume that the President would want competent people working for him who aren't total idiots and don't realize the painfully obvious fact that you shouldn't include Christmas-specific imagery on a Chanukkah card.

johnboy

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 16):
McDonough added that the White House had received "dozens" of calls of support from members of the Jewish community to express their appreciation for what President and Mrs. Bush had done for them through the course of Mr. Bush's presidency.

No doubt Joe Lieberman and his family.

baroque

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Apparently, this is the picture in question:

I know my eyesight is failing and my familiarity with US practices is seriously out of date, but when did deciduous trees crack the christmas tree circuit? If I had to guess what that tree was, I would guess an oak tree. Looks like a Quercus in that pic. So perhaps the comment is a bit quirky?

Just because Bush thought the Arab world would think another crusade would be a good idea, does not mean he thinks other religions like christmas cards - he may do, but ?alas the jury is not going to be persuaded by that pic.

nkops

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 20):
If I had to guess what that tree was, I would guess an oak tree.

I think it is referring to the tree being pulled by the horse... not the huge oak in front..

baroque

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 21):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 20):
If I had to guess what that tree was, I would guess an oak tree.

I think it is referring to the tree being pulled by the horse... not the huge oak in front..

Thanks! Could be, but I thought the horse might be pulling away the large smelly object that is all that is left of the banking system. But it could be a tree. Which would be a Pinus in that case and not a Quercus, although my guess is still a potential coprolite. If it were a Pinus, that would surely make it the Veep if you pronounce Pinus that way.

Certainly not quite polite to send a card with Chaney even if he was depicted as being carted away.

comorin

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 22):
banking system. But it could be a tree. Which would be a Pinus in that case and not a Quercus, although my guess is still a potential coprolite. If it were a Pinus, that would surely make it the Veep if you pronounce Pinus that way.

Certainly not quite polite to send a card with Chaney even if he was depicted as being carted away.

Ha Ha! Yes, that does look like Cheney being carted away on a gun carriage...

luv2fly

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
No, I assume that the President would want competent people working for him who aren't total idiots and don't realize the painfully obvious fact that you shouldn't include Christmas-specific imagery on a Chanukkah card.

Exactly! Even if it did not come directly from his office it is still a reflection of him and his office.

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 19):
No doubt Joe Lieberman and his family.

Best line ever!

flynavy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 24):
Exactly! Even if it did not come directly from his office it is still a reflection of him and his office.

checkmark  "The buck stops here," as it were.

[ s a r c a s m ]

Hell, if Bill Ayers was "palling around" with Barack Obama, then certainly the neo-cons on this site would associate Dubya with the Christmas cards he has sent out on his behalf; or would that be too much of a stretch?  Yeah sure

[ / s a r c a s m ]

OzarkD9S

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:09 pm

George and Laura are probably too busy packing to give a sh*t about such niceties anyhow.

PhilGil

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):
For what it's worth, I could care less. This President has been one of the strongest defenders of the Jewish people in the history of that office, even if many Jews disagree with him on a lot of issues. He deserves the gratitude of our community.

Is that you, Senator Lieberman???

As another member of the Jewish community, I feel no gratitude toward a president whose policies have destabilized the Middle East and set back progress toward peace in the region by decades.

Although I'm sure the President wasn't personally responsible for the gaffe, it does reflect poorly on the office. I'm actually bothered more by the "Merry Hanukkah" than the picture - who the heck doesn't know it's "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Chanukah"?

comorin

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:25 am

Quoting PhilGil (Reply 27):
who the heck doesn't know it's "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Chanukah"?

Er, it's "Happy Christmas" in the UK, but I agree, "Merry Chanukah" sounds bizarre.

PhilGil

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 28):
Er, it's "Happy Christmas" in the UK, but I agree, "Merry Chanukah" sounds bizarre.

You'd think I'd remember that with as much British TV as I watch - thanks for the correction. Apologies to the rest of the world's English speakers. I knew I should have added "in the US" somewhere in that sentence.   

[Edited 2008-11-28 19:02:33]