Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flynavy
Topic Author

Black Friday Stampede Kills Walmart Worker

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Where did this happen you might ask? India? China? Guess again - Long Island, New York of all places!

Quote:
A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said. The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._at_long_island_walmart_after.html

Nice to see the true meaning of Christmas is still alive and well in this country.  Yeah sure

scrubbsywg

RE: Black Friday Stampede Kills Walmart Worker

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:11 pm

and a pregnant woman miscarried as well. sad.

flynavy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 1):
and a pregnant woman miscarried as well. sad.

Apparently that report was false. Still, as you said, very sad.

Falcon84

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't go near stores on Black Friday. You can do almost the same shopping online, without the crowds. These people, who simply mob stores, defile the meaning of the holidays. It would be better off if most of these stores went strictly online, so the idiots of the world, who think they HAVE to have the latest gadget on the first morning of the shopping season, are forced to stay at home, where they can't hurt anyone.

luv2fly

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:01 pm

It amazes me that this continues to happen every year. When are the stores going to say enough is enough.

Cadet57

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):

Dear god. I...agree...with....Falcon

It is a sad sign of the times when people are killed over what? 99 dollar Gps units and Xbox's... Disgusting.

jfk69

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Wow, right in my backyard. This isnt the first time something like this has happened in that mall. First time someone was killed like this but more than a few were injured 2 years ago during the same fiasco.

Dazed767

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:24 pm

It's crazy, it really is. Will it stop? Probably not. Will it just get worse every year? Probably. The deals sucked this year too, I've gotten better deals on some gadgets earlier in the year.

OA260

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:37 pm

God thats terrible. The store should take some responsibilty also. Have they ever heard of health and safety.

nkops

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm

I hate the crowds.. this is why I shop online on Black Friday.. you get the same prices anyway...

This is truly sad..

CO7e7

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:51 pm

I was driving home at 11pm, and the line at Best Buy (6 hours before openning) was wrapped all around the building... kinda sad....

Like Falcon said, shop online.... safe and convenient...

JakeOrion

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
When are the stores going to say enough is enough.

When I worked security in my Target days, I had to work the Black Friday shift (2AM to 8PM, long shift I tell you.) Anyway, we had every available guard for the morning opening, plus several Sheriff officers on standby. Anyone who attempted to push, cut, cause problems were immediately arrested, no questions asked. Fortunately, no one caused any problems that year and everyone was civil and organized.

Back to topic: sad that it has come to this.

[Edited 2008-11-28 11:13:08]

ZBBYLW

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Can someone please tell me what black friday is?

sacamojus

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:27 pm

Many retailers don't make a profit for most of the year, meaning their bottom line is in the red, until the Friday after Thanksgiving until Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday is because retailers are finally making a profit.

OA260

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:29 pm

One of the UK channels was reporting from Macys in NYC. Said there were upto 70% off on designer goods and there were lots of great deals to get. Shame Im not there.

ZBBYLW

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting Sacamojus (Reply 13):
Many retailers don't make a profit for most of the year, meaning their bottom line is in the red, until the Friday after Thanksgiving until Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday is because retailers are finally making a profit.

Thanks for that!

seb146

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Let's injure, maim, and kill spending more than we earn all in the name of the birth of some people's savior! Merry Christmas...  Yeah sure

CO7e7

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 12):
Can someone please tell me what black Friday is?

Basically, it's the biggest shopping day in the USA. It's the day after Thanksgiving.
A lot of stores have great deals on a variety of items. People tend to go crazy about it. Some people stand in lines outside stores HOURS before they open in an attempt to put their hands on a $230 laptop and what have you.

OPNLguy

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
When are the stores going to say enough is enough.

Probably after the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit is filed/tried/settled in this case, and all other retailers thus put on notice that if they're going to create these potential mob scenes with killer deals that they're also going to have to provide proper security and crowd control.

Talk about a senseless and preventable death...  Sad

ltbewr

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Then there was 2 killed at a Toys R Us in Palm Dessert, CA, probably as members of local gangs were in the store and on their 'turf' or got into some conflict. A 6 year old girl was one of those killed in senseless criminal gang stupidity.

I suspect that some larger stores on the next and future 'Black Fridays', will be required by local laws or their liability insurers to have additional paid security officials and or have to pay for supplemtal local police officers. Of course, that raises the costs of goods at these stores. I hope the security video is shown to the public, showing those that trampled that man at the Walmart* and shames them in their communities.

I was out shopping today, saw some stupid lines wating for stores to open at 8/9 am. I went to stores that had long been open or not Black Friday hotspots. I went to a number of stores, bought a few things, took advantage of some sale items and some coupons. But to me it is worthless to try and get the 'doorbuster' items that will be in limited supply or wait in long check out lines just to save a few dollars. I suspect that many on line don't want to cut back on what they want so want want to buy it for cheap as possible. I bet some may buy such items to flog on E-bay later.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
Where did this happen you might ask? India? China? Guess again - Long Island, New York of all places!

Yes like this couldn't happen anywhere else.  sarcastic 

Nice to see the true meaning of Christmas is still alive and well in this country.

Chris what does that have to do with anything. This seems to be a bunch of people trying to get to items that were marked down and to take advantage of a sale in which Walmart dropped the ball in controlling the crowd. Keep things in perspective please.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 5):
It is a sad sign of the times when people are killed over what? 99 dollar Gps units and Xbox's... Disgusting.

This is over cheap electronics, toys, can you imagine what would transpire over food??

Cadet57

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
Chris what does that have to do with anything.

Because its not the first nor the last time this has happened. And not only at walmart.

and to take advantage of a sale in which Walmart dropped the ball in controlling the crowd.

And they have done well in the past? It's peoples greed and lack of care for their fellow man if it means getting a cheap pos discounted item...

Fly2HMO

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 12):
Can someone please tell me what black friday is?

It's when all the moneypinchers go out in hoards to raid stores. Their collective IQ is no more than 20 or so.

Tbird

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:19 pm

Yes like this couldn't happen anywhere else. sarcastic

Nice to see the true meaning of Christmas is still alive and well in this country.

Chris what does that have to do with anything. This seems to be a bunch of people trying to get to items that were marked down and to take advantage of a sale in which Walmart dropped the ball in controlling the crowd. Keep things in perspective please.

Nick I have to agree with Chris on this (amazingly  Wink ) I find it totally disgusting that these people acted the way they did. THERE IS NOTHING in a Walmart store I don't care HOW cheap that requires a person to act the way these people did. I wager to say half of these people aren't even buying whatever it was as a Christmas gift.

I see no reason why a store needs to open at 4am, 5am, and even midnight the night before. The shoppers aren't demanding the stores to open at these times, its the retailers who are driving artificial demand by creating this mind set to the consumer that they must have it. Its a slap in the face to our social values and the retailers need to recognize this and stop it.

dxing

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 pm

I don't go near stores on Black Friday. You can do almost the same shopping online, without the crowds.

But unfortunately there are deals in the stores that are not published or available online.

It would be better off if most of these stores went strictly online,

And you complain about unemployment?

Keep things in perspective please.

The sad part is that according to the story even when people realized there were people down they kept advancing. Probably some of that is due to people outside pushing to get in but according to one story even as ems was trying to revive the man people were continuing to stream by into the store. There was also a pregnant woman knocked down and stepped on. Forturnately early reports that she miscarriee appear to be untrue.

Guess again - Long Island, New York of all places!

Shootings happened in California.

Cadet57

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 25):
But unfortunately there are deals in the stores that are not published or available online

Id take the safety of my home over saving a few more dollars on some "high quality" wal mart specials

Shootings happened in California.

Happy holidays!  sarcastic   stirthepot 

Aaron747

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Chris what does that have to do with anything. This seems to be a bunch of people trying to get to items that were marked down and to take advantage of a sale in which Walmart dropped the ball in controlling the crowd.

Actually that's the entire point here. Peace...goodwill toward men...remember all that? These stampedes only show that fire sale prices and rampant consumerism trump goodwill toward neighbors and the spirit of Christmas every f*cking time. We really are animals...

NIKV69

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
Because its not the first nor the last time this has happened. And not only at walmart.

Granted but Chris is attempting to put logic to something illogical. No matter what the time of year getting the cheapest price before it runs out or to get anything before it runs out is somethiing totally different. I am not disagreeing with the point but the fact the the thread starter took a legitimate story and used it as a way to bash Long Island. Totally baseless and silly.

Quoting Tbird (Reply 24):
Nick I have to agree with Chris on this (amazingly ) I find it totally disgusting that these people acted the way they did. THERE IS NOTHING in a Walmart store I don't care HOW cheap that requires a person to act the way these people did. I wager to say half of these people aren't even buying whatever it was as a Christmas gift.

I see no reason why a store needs to open at 4am, 5am, and even midnight the night before. The shoppers aren't demanding the stores to open at these times, its the retailers who are driving artificial demand by creating this mind set to the consumer that they must have it. Its a slap in the face to our social values and the retailers need to recognize this and stop it.

If you took the time to read what I wrote nowhere did I agree with this just the fact that is was being made to look like it could only happen in Long Island.

Cadet57

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):
and used it as a way to bash Long Island.

I have a feeling that *may* not have been the point. Then again, I could be wrong, as that is nothing new for me  Wink

dxing

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Quoting Tbird (Reply 24):
I see no reason why a store needs to open at 4am, 5am, and even midnight the night before. The shoppers aren't demanding the stores to open at these times,

Wal Marts around us are 24/7. The closest one was closed Thursday till 8pm but then opened up as did several other chain stores in the immediate area and they were jammed as I went by on my way home from work. Common over to my Wal Mart on Friday or Saturday nights even as late as 2am. The store is jammed. It's like date night and family night. Reminds me of years gone by when people would take their kids in their jammies to the Drive In theater. Wal Mart seems to have replaced that.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 26):
Id take the safety of my home over saving a few more dollars on some "high quality" wal mart specials

So would I but there are more than a few people out there for whom the savings might mean the difference between getting the item or not.

flynavy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Yes like this couldn't happen anywhere else.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):
If you took the time to read what I wrote nowhere did I agree with this just the fact that is was being made to look like it could only happen in Long Island.

When did I ever say it couldn't happen anywhere else? You usually hear about stampedes at markets in India or elsewhere overseas, not at your local department store. My point in posting this was what Christmas has become in this country. People aren't really interested in the true meaning of Christmas is anymore. Granted, I'm not the most religious person in the world (albeit spiritual) but I understand the meaning of it and what it represents.

Why is it that, regardless of whatever I post here, you always (perhaps purposefully) miss the point in what I am saying, while others get the message loud and clear, and you and find some way to twist and turn what I say into implying something else? Do you have some kind of axe to grind? Something to prove to everyone else here?

It's becoming most entertaining. C'mon, man. Loosen up a little.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 29):

I have nothing against Long Island, or New York for that matter (expect of course the idiots who killed this man over a sale on something at Walmart).

Tbird - nice to see you back in these parts...

[Edited 2008-11-28 15:18:05]

stasisLAX

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 pm

This is absolutely disgusting.

There were people in tents outside some of the "big box" stores last night. It's incredibly sad to see how materialistic the holidays have become. My friend went shopping at the Walmart in Torrance earlier this morning; she said there was a long line and the guards would only let a certain amount of people into the store at a one time and when a few customers left, then they'd let somemore customers in. Inside, shoppers were yelling, fighting and shoving each other over the "hot" toys and electronics stuff.

Happy consumerist holidays!  vomit 

Tbird

Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:16 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 31):

Tbird - nice to see you back in these parts...

Never left...I just lurk in the shadows and come out from time to time  Wink

smcmac32msn

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:18 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 30):
So would I but there are more than a few people out there for whom the savings might mean the difference between getting the item or not.

If its that big of a difference..... they should be buying food to feed their family and paying their bills. If you can "barely" afford it, don't buy it! Save Save Save Save!

LONGisland89

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 am

Tis the season  biting 

ACDC8

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:59 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 17):
Basically, it's the biggest shopping day in the USA. It's the day after Thanksgiving.
A lot of stores have great deals on a variety of items. People tend to go crazy about it. Some people stand in lines outside stores HOURS before they open in an attempt to put their hands on a $230 laptop and what have you.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):
It's when all the moneypinchers go out in hoards to raid stores. Their collective IQ is no more than 20 or so.

Sounds like Boxing Day in Canada (Dec.26th). See, we Canadians got it right again, our way you get all the good stuff for cheap for yourself instead of buying for others  Wink

mirrodie

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:20 pm

This seems to be a bunch of people trying to get to items that were marked down and to take advantage of a sale in which Walmart dropped the ball in controlling the crowd. Keep things in perspective please.

Sorry, I didnt see it as Chris slamming Long Island either. This is the kind of stuff you might expect to read bout in Nat'l Geographic, about people fighting over food in some desolate country.

It's an incredibly sad stain on our country. A 34 year old Haitian American stampeded to death by what I suspect are white trash Americans looking for a good deal at Walmart.

And what is good deal? It's, in my opinion, an artificial need that was created by Walmart. By opening at 5 AM,Walmart fed a mob mentality with death as a result.

I'm just disgusted.

Cadet57

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 37):
by what I suspect are white trash Americans looking for a good deal at Walmart.

If you want to question race. I would suggest taking a look at the security camera picture in the news story. I have a hint, it wasnt white trash....

dxing

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 34):
If its that big of a difference..... they should be buying food to feed their family and paying their bills. If you can "barely" afford it, don't buy it! Save Save Save Save!

I guess that depends on their situation. When I was a boy I wanted a particular 10 speed bike. Saved and saved and was within 25 dollars of my goal when the thing went on sale and I was able to get it just a little earlier. At Wal Mart a few weeks ago they had 70 dell lap tops that ordinarily would be in the 600 dollar range marked down to 350 dollars. This was just before Halloween so a family that had been saving up to the 600 dollar mark might have been able to take advantage of that deal. I'm sure they weren't all those kinds of people but it is something to think about.

max999

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:45 pm

mirrodie

Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 38):
If you want to question race.

You are 100% right, my bad and I apologize. "Black trash" just does not sound right.

Perhaps human trash is more appropriate? Regardless of whom, the take home point is Walmart is truly at fault by creating an artifical need and feeding the mob.

[Edited 2008-11-29 08:24:25]

dxing

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:45 pm

I'm just disgusted.

And that's a pretty short sighted opinion. How many Wal Marts are there in this country? Several thousand? They probably all opened at 5 am or like the ones in my area even earlier. You had one accidental death because the crowd was not controlled better and it becomes a "sad stain" on our Country? How many traffic deaths are there every day? Are they too a "sad stain" on our country? I think you're blowing the event a little out of proportion to its dimensions.

luv2fly

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 42):
And that's a pretty short sighted opinion. How many Wal Marts are there in this country? Several thousand? They probably all opened at 5 am or like the ones in my area even earlier. You had one accidental death because the crowd was not controlled better and it becomes a "sad stain" on our Country? How many traffic deaths are there every day? Are they too a "sad stain" on our country? I think you're blowing the event a little out of proportion to its dimensions.

I disagree, it is a sad day when a human life is snuffed out over a deeply discounted item. The articles I have read really paint a picture of greedy consumers with a lack of any human compassion. I read that when the police closed down the store and made people leave, they were met with boos and shouts that "I have been in line since yesterday"

QXatFAT

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:51 pm

And you complain about unemployment?

Seriously. I do shop online but try to buy it in store. Most of the time, excluding Black Friday of course, stores will match their online sale. Go to the store and buy it from them. There are a few good reasons for it...

1. You get to physically touch the iteam! You get to make sure you get what you are paying for instead of the head ache of returning a wrongly shipped iteam. Plus, if it breaks after 2 days, you can take it into the store and exchange on the spot.

2. You are keeping someone in a job. Or at least needed in your city. You are supporting him/her in a position needed.

3. You keep sales tax in your city/state.  Smile

Am I going overboard on this? Haha.

And what is good deal? It's, in my opinion, an artificial need that was created by Walmart. By opening at 5 AM,Walmart fed a mob mentality with death as a result.

I agree 100%. Although some deals like the $388 for the crapyest T.V. in the world might be a good deal, most of the specials happen throughout the year or online in which you can get the store to match. The deals are there, they just hype up the day so they can make even more sales on non-sale iteams. That is the whole point of the day! Then you have stores like Circuit City and BestBuy who tack on mail in rebates in which most of the time you do not get them back because you failed to fill out a certain portion right, then once again, Circuit City and BestBuy did a good job at tricking you. By the way, I have worked for BestBuy and Cirucit City for numours years while I have been here at college.

NIKV69

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:39 pm

It's an incredibly sad stain on our country. A 34 year old Haitian American stampeded to death by what I suspect are white trash Americans looking for a good deal at Walmart.

Well since you questioned someone else when they made a derogatory remark about the people in question care to explain yours?

Again why the people's racial background is being discussed here makes no sense.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 41):
Perhaps human trash is more appropriate? Regardless of whom, the take home point is Walmart is truly at fault by creating an artifical need and feeding the mob.

Walmart can't be held responsible for feeding the mob. Selling retail is legal in this country and if people are going to assemble and wait in line for something it's going to happen. Walmart is guilty of not acting properly once it was apparent the crowd was getting out of control. In fact I am shocked NCPD or any PD would not want to have a prescence at these hot spots on days like black Friday. It's not like this is the first time there has every been a disturbance at a retail store due to a sale.

mirrodie

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 42):
I think you're blowing the event a little out of proportion to its dimensions.

You're right (read: sarcasm). Perhaps one killing is fine. Perhaps you draw the line at a dozen before you consider it an event of proportional size.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 43):
a human life is snuffed out over a deeply discounted item.

It shouldn't happen in any society, let alone one that is regarded as civil.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 45):
care to explain yours?

Actually, Nick, reply 41 addresses that. You see, its not an issue of race at all. Its an issue of class, low class.

dxing

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:16 pm

I disagree, it is a sad day when a human life is snuffed out over a deeply discounted item.

Human lives are snuffed out everyday in this country for an extra can of beer or one more shot of alcohol which cost far less than the deeply discounted items these people were after. It was an accident due to negligence, not an intentional act. Lets try and get some perspective.

I read that when the police closed down the store and made people leave, they were met with boos

I wouldn't agree with booing the police but I don't agree that they should have closed the store either. If the man was trampled by one entrance/exit the other should have been fine to leave open.

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 44):
I do shop online but try to buy it in store.

Printer cartridges, photo paper, memory cards, and other things I've used before and know what to expect yes. Large purchase items like a computer, gaming system, TV's and such, I want to try before I buy.

QXatFAT

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 47):
It was an accident due to negligence, not an intentional act. Lets try and get some perspective.

checkmark 

It is a sad thing to hear what happend to this man, but it is true, you need to keep it into pperspective.

Greed is never something that results in good.

NIKV69

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 46):
Actually, Nick, reply 41 addresses that. You see, its not an issue of race at all. Its an issue of class, low class

Then why did you use say "white" trash? Why not just trash? It's ok Mario no answer needed.

Quoting DXing (Reply 47):
I wouldn't agree with booing the police but I don't agree that they should have closed the store either. If the man was trampled by one entrance/exit the other should have been fine to leave open.

You kidding? A man was mortally wounded by an out of control mob. That is a crime, and thus a crime scene in which an investigation is to be done ASAP. Store should have been closed and in fact they shouldn't have let anyone leave while they were trying to see who on the tape could be prosecuted. I think the ones who physically began to force to doors open should be the first to go to jail.