Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DFW13L

RE: What Do You Do?

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am

I work in American Eagle crew scheduling. It's sort of difficult to describe what I do, but I'm involved in training and am the computer guy, etc. Many hats.
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

roadrunner165

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:13 am

I work for the State of Alaska.

Femme

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 am

I am a Senior Nursing Sister in Critical Care ( Intensive Care) at my Local Hospital.

Am I the only Nurse here ??

Claire  Smile
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

I am now a dilettante doing all sorts of whatever and freelancing whereabouts for a living due to the economic slump in the E.U.

I had two different 'careers' one as a College/University Instructor in the U.S. (Washington DC area). Got a Masters Degree in a Paris Business School, then became a Financial Manager in 'La Défense' business district for as long as it lasted. Made a very good living back then with Concorde flights galore. This seems to be part of a previous lifetime, it seems.  brokenheart 

I live day by day not knowing what the future holds, more modest life, still doing OK considering all the misery I have seen around the world.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

itsjustme

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 am

I am a police officer and part time instructor at the academy.

Sketty222

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 am

I am a Customer Service Advisor for a major UK airline
There's flying and then there's flying

IntlDj

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am

I am a DJ/record label manager. I get to combine my 2 loves in this world, music and travelling, and I get paid for it. Quids in!!!  Smile

rleiro

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I am a freelance translator (Spanish / English / Spanish mainly, and French and German sometimes). Good pay, no benefits, work under pressure... But I love it! Big grin

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

David L

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm "sort of" an analyst/programmer in the IT industry but I was made redundant four years ago and I just have too much to do to be working at the moment and I'm still keeping ahead of the mortgage. I'm sure that will change very suddenly, when I realise I need a job yesterday.

Quoting Rleiro (Reply 57):
I am a freelance translator ... Good pay

Tell me about it. That's what my brother does, though he does the same part-time for FIA, too.

grumpy 

MCOflyer

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:32 pm

I am college student majoring in student affairs/ student aide for the college. Also, I am public speaker speaking at police training in the orlando area for autistic people.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

cannibalz3

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Ha! Makes me wonder if I haven't met a couple of you in your lines of work. I'm sure I'm not more than two degrees of seperation from a couple of you. I should just start off all my conversations with "so, how can you tell the difference between early and late A320s?"

I'm a recent college grad/occasional freelance journalist deperately seeking real work. PDX jobs, anyone?

asuflyer05

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50 am

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 51):
I work for the State of Alaska.

So I hear you all are just a bunch of mavericks up there...wink.

CO7e7

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:19 am

I work in Law Enforcement.

PhilGil

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 am

Database developer and "computer guy" for a small financial services/insurance office - we design and administer benefit packages for corporate executives.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:35 am

I pay a ridiculous amount of money to go to school, take classes that are generally boring or just a waste of my time. On average, I spend probably 15 or 16 hours a week in class. I may get to fly once in a while, but only when some evil god shines on me, and decides that I'm good enough to not have to go back into the simulators. Probably spend around 8 hours a week doing "flying" related activities. Beyond that, I live on the internet. Quite a life, quite a life

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:38 am

Currently a senior at ERAU taking aerospace engineering and Air Force ROTC although I have 1.5 years left to go because of being on the five year plan. Hoping to fly once on active duty but may not be medically qualified due to vision. If I do get the pilot slot, first choice is B-1s, followed by HH-60s, then C-17s, then tankers. If not, hope to try to get into law school and be a JAG lawyer, although I'll probably be selected as a Developmental Engineer for the USAF. Hope to get to play with bombs and missiles.  Smile

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 34):
Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 25):
but I am considering joining a convent and becoming a nun.

What would DL87 do?

Violate the laws of the Catholic church (Hey, I'm pissed off enough at them already so I really just may).
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AM744

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 am

I'm an aviation nut because both of my parents have been in this business for decades. I got hooked as a child.

YVRLTN

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:59 am

Im a freight forwarder - though based in YVR airport, I look after the ocean freight.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

pawsleykat

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 am

Me, like many other young a.netters here, I'm a student in my final year of high school in Scotland. I only have until May to go, then I sit my 4 exams, and then I'm out.

Hopefully, this a.netter will one day be in the left hand seat of the British Airways 747-400s  Smile

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

LHboyatDTW

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 am

I'm at Schoolcraft Community College in Livonia, MI getting gen-eds out of the way.

Starting in the fall, I'm going to Western Michigan University to major in Aviation Science and Administration (alright so I'm going to eventually be an armchair CEO, sue me!)

As for a job, I worked as a cart attendant at Target over the summer. Hated it. They terminated me, but my managers hated me even since the interview so I could care less. I'm still trying to look for a new job, as I want to make it to Sweden sometime soon, even if I ship myself there by means of FedEx or UPS.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

sbworcs

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Quote boring for me - Administration Manager for a company that design and sell bathroom & kitchen furniture designed for the elderly and disabled.
The best way forwards is upwards!

B6JFKH81

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

My title at B6 is Material Coordinator - Blue City/Requisition. Basically, my crew oversees the movement of all aircraft/technical support parts to support system stock and allocation (have the parts there before the a/c needs it) at all cities flown to by the airline, coordinate with our Repairs crew to expedite units back if needed, coordinate with the Purchasing crew to procure and expedite parts if needed, and a bunch of other stuff.  hypnotized 

So basically, I shovel sh*t against a tsunami all day to keep aircraft flying by having the parts in stock for MX to fix the planes.  duck 

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

SlamClick

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:37 am

I've spent forty two years in both mainstream and backwater flight operations, watching my life slide past and never once catching sight of anything resembling a career. I retired as a pilot and was reborn as an instructor at a major airline. I'm now fervently hoping that their economic viability will outlive my need for money.

Along the way I've held several management positions, consulted, done some writing, technical and otherwise, operated my own business and occasionally fallen back on more basic skills.

I'm the proud owner of a solid platinum resumé which is a nice way of saying "overqualified" and on the way to being irrelevant. Hell of it is, it is still fun. I still love going to work. Oh, it pays okay too, for the moment.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AFC_Ajax00

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I work as an analyst at a prominent management consulting firm. I usually spend a lot of my time on airline-related projects which is sweet obviously!
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

ajd1992

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Music student, which makes me unemployable, lazy and smelly  Wink

Nah, in all seriousness, I study music full time so I don't really have time to get a job. I can't get one anyway.

Dougloid

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 pm

In the words of Bob Dylan:

I never eat
I run naked when I can
My hobby's collecting airplane glue
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ipodguy7

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm

High School student in Nashville, Tennessee
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

oswegobag

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 am

I work for a major bank that was just bought out by another major bank in this whole financial mess... I give out auto loans.

lincoln

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 71):
So basically, I shovel sh*t against a tsunami all day to keep aircraft flying by having the parts in stock for MX to fix the planes.

~H81

Actually sounds like a lot of fun...but I'm sure a lot of people who aren't doing your job tell you that  Smile
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AllegiantAir

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 am

I'm at 14 year old kid from central Minnesota that lives, eats, and breathes aviation. I'll do anything to be around an airport. When I'm not woking with aviation or my aviation website (www.freewebs.com/kregaxn), I'm at school hanging with all of my many friends there or bummin' around town with them when summer comes around! Lifes pretty good...
Live to Fly.