Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Rice Performs Recital For Queen

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 am

It was an evening with a difference when the Queen met the US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice at Buckingham Palace.

Ms Rice, who is a trained concert pianist, played in front of the Queen and the Foreign Secretary David Miliband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7759872.stm

I am sure she won't end up in the unemployment line on January 21. She is a woman of many talents, a politician, a professor and a pianist.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

DocLightning

RE: Rice Performs Recital For Queen

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

I was a student at Stanford when Condi was our Vice Provost.

I can tell you that the woman is mean-spirited, autocratic, very full of herself, and was spectacularly unpopular among both students and faculty. There were a lot of dry eyes around the University when she left.

I can also tell you that I had the pleasure of attending a piano recital of hers and that she is a stunning pianist.

But don't let appearances fool you. If I used the words that are most appropriate to describe that woman, this post would get pulled and I'd probably get banned.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
I can also tell you that I had the pleasure of attending a piano recital of hers and that she is a stunning pianist.

I have no doubt that she is excelling at her art as a pianist.

Maybe she should become a professional concert pianist and tour the world. I am sure a lot of world class conductors would be happy to have her perform with them and she can as well do recitals.

She could make zillions out of her contracts playing in the world's most famous concert halls. This is one field where no other ex-Secretary of State can give her any competition.

Well let's see. Ex-British Prime Minister Edward Heath was a conductor. I am not sure whether he is still alive or if he has gone to the other dimension. Then we have the Pope, Benedict XVI who is also a trained concert pianist, now playing only in private. There is no chance that he will ever give a public performance anywhere as he will die as the Pope.

Condoleezza Rice has the prospect of a new brilliant career ahead of her in the concert halls!

comorin

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:20 pm

I hear the most admired work of art in the Condi household is a big, framed mirror...

DocLightning

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):

Maybe she should become a professional concert pianist and tour the world. I am sure a lot of world class conductors would be happy to have her perform with them and she can as well do recitals.

It would suit her, actually. She could continue to be a ***ty diva, travel the world, and yet she couldn't do any real damage.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

I would also rather have Condi Rice for Big Boss rather than Hellary, any time.
No Clintons, no thanks.  ouch 

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
She could make zillions out of her contracts playing in the world's most famous concert halls. This is one field where no other ex-Secretary of State can give her any competition.

Well let's see. Ex-British Prime Minister Edward Heath was a conductor. I am not sure whether he is still alive or if he has gone to the other dimension. Then we have the Pope, Benedict XVI who is also a trained concert pianist, now playing only in private. There is no chance that he will ever give a public performance anywhere as he will die as the Pope.

Ex-chancellor Helmut Schmidt of Germany is also a trained pianist and has performed in concerts.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ronglimeng

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:54 pm

I was a student at Stanford when Condi was our Vice Provost. I can tell you that the woman is mean-spirited, autocratic, very full of herself, and was spectacularly unpopular among both students and faculty. There were a lot of dry eyes around the University when she left. I can also tell you that I had the pleasure of attending a piano recital of hers and that she is a stunning pianist. .

You know Doc, I don't know you, and I don't even know your posting history, but I feel that I've got more insight into Ms Rice from you than from all the media reports I've read about her. I'm more inclined to believe "first-hand" stories I hear from strangers than articles and features that come through the media which I suspect are massaged.

I know it shouldn't be that way for me, but it is.

DocLightning

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 7):

You know Doc, I don't know you, and I don't even know your posting history, but I feel that I've got more insight into Ms Rice from you than from all the media reports I've read about her. I'm more inclined to believe "first-hand" stories I hear from strangers than articles and features that come through the media which I suspect are massaged.

At the same time, Chelsea Clinton was a student there. I didn't know her that well, but nobody ever had anything bad to say about her and the few times I met her she was really sweet. She was also a student in a class that I TA'ed (not in my section, though) and I hear she was a hard worker and a good student.

If there WAS bad scuttlebutt about her, it would have gotten out. Fred Savage was also there at the time and he was not a popular guy at all. Apparently he's somewhat of an ass.

You can say what you will about the Clintons, but they raised a remarkable young woman.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:00 pm

You know, from what I've heard about Ms. Rice, I don't envy her. From childhood on, she must have been under an immense pressure to succeed and to perform better than her white classmates, in the beginning by her family, later by herself. She seems to be such a perfectionist that she sacrificed her whole personal life for her career.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

RussianJet

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):
You know, from what I've heard about Ms. Rice, I don't envy her. From childhood on, she must have been under an immense pressure to succeed and to perform better than her white classmates, in the beginning by her family, later by herself. She seems to be such a perfectionist that she sacrificed her whole personal life for her career.

I find her a truly loathesome individual, talented pianist or not.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MOBflyer

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:06 am

Condi would be a showstopper president, and she has the personality to run a country. I'm not sure if that same personality would get her elected though!

DocLightning

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 11):
Condi would be a showstopper president, and she has the personality to run a country. I'm not sure if that same personality would get her elected though!

I don't want someone that mean-spirited leading my country.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

oldeuropean

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
I am sure she won't end up in the unemployment line on January 21. She is a woman of many talents, a politician, a professor and a pianist.

... and was a active part of a government, which used torture and war crimes and btw. helped to ruin the US.

Oh yes her piano play was so lovely. I'm sure that she will have a bright future with her talents.

Yeah sure

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

bwest

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 am

If I used the words that are most appropriate to describe that woman, this post would get pulled and I'd probably get banned.

does it figure prominently in this song?

UAL747

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:35 pm

I think the queen is a little more scary than Condi, but I'm trying to figure out which Brahms piece she is playing. Condi can't be that cold hearted, I mean, for god sake, you can't lack emotion and play Romantic period music. I mean, you can be a flamboyant **tch and get away with it, but not cold.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

DocLightning

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 15):
I think the queen is a little more scary than Condi, but I'm trying to figure out which Brahms piece she is playing. Condi can't be that cold hearted, I mean, for god sake, you can't lack emotion and play Romantic period music. I mean, you can be a flamboyant **tch and get away with it, but not cold.

Beethoven was a total dickwad. People HATED him. And yet he almost invented the Romantic period.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

blrsea

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 5):
I would also rather have Condi Rice for Big Boss rather than Hellary, any time.
No Clintons, no thanks.

My thoughts exactly!

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 15):
I'm trying to figure out which Brahms piece she is playing

I asked myself that same question when I saw the video. Let's see. This is chamber music.

There is the pianist with her page turner, then a cellist, two violins and a viola so it's got to be one of Brahms Piano Quintets.

What we hear on the video is the beginning of the second movement.

There is only one piano quintet that he composed, the Piano Quintet in F minor. Incidentally I located another performance of hers with a different chamber music ensemble, looks like an official concert as the U.S. flag is there behind the musicians and there is quite a crowd in the concert hall. They also perform a piano quintet by Dvorak in that concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq6_nHyFSrc

A practice session with an interesting interview in Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7djvhOCK4lo&feature=related

Kuala Lumpur, Ms Rice in a Jazz duet with a violinist, in a concert hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2djaP_Rduo&NR=1

She isn't the only Republican VVIP to be a pianist. How about listening to Richard Nixon playing one of his own works. Not bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsGSMze_6Q&feature=related

UAL747

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:03 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
Beethoven was a total dickwad. People HATED him. And yet he almost invented the Romantic period.

Beethoven was a Classical as Mozart until he went deaf. Only until his later pieces did they start to resemble anything from the Romantic Period.

BTW, you can be a total dickwad and still play and compose well. Dickwads are usually deeply angry and emotional about something.

The world "cold" to me means having no feeling whatsoever.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Klaus

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 19):
Beethoven was a Classical as Mozart until he went deaf. Only until his later pieces did they start to resemble anything from the Romantic Period.

BTW, you can be a total dickwad and still play and compose well. Dickwads are usually deeply angry and emotional about something.

As far as we know today, he suffered from a massive lead poisoning, leading to many physical symptoms but also to depression and other mental issues.

I'm not sure what Rice's excuse is...!  mischievous 

UAL747

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
he suffered from a massive lead poisoning, leading to many physical symptoms but also to depression and other mental issues.

Well, there's good enough reason to inspire the Romantic period. Drugs, mental issues, and physical symptoms....probably from too much sex.

Rachmaninov was deeply depressed, and in particular hated his music for the most part, but it tends to be the richest form of Romantic music in history.

Contemporary (classical contemporary) music, well, you are either a mathematician or schizophrenic. The term, "Scherzo" comes to mind, though it predates Contemporary music.

Klaus

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25 am

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 21):
Well, there's good enough reason to inspire the Romantic period. Drugs, mental issues, and physical symptoms....probably from too much sex.

Where did you get that from? It wasn't drugs nor sex — just an ordinary lead poisoning.

UAL747

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 am

LOL, it was just a comparison to drugs, sex, and rock and roll....nothing more.

Lead being the drug....the mental problems stemming from too much sex, which produced rock and roll and the journey from music of the 1950's to the 60's.

Romantic music was like the "rock and roll" of it's era.

UAL

Klaus

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 23):
LOL, it was just a comparison to drugs, sex, and rock and roll....nothing more.

Lead being the drug....the mental problems stemming from too much sex, which produced rock and roll and the journey from music of the 1950's to the 60's.

Romantic music was like the "rock and roll" of it's era.

Okay... free association noted!

DocLightning

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 23):

Define "too much" sex. This concept does not compute.

Happy Birthday, man.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

GDB

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Madame, Edward Heath died in 2005.
He was a conductor, many said he was rubbish at it, I'd never know and of course there probably is a certain snobbery in that field.
He was also a proficient sailor.
However, he was a lonely person who was not easy to get on with and could be spectacularly rude.
Very intelligent, a man with a real vision for Europe (prior to fighting in WW2, pre war he had traveled around Europe, seen Hitler at close hand, returning totally convinced of his malignant evil).
He is now seen as a very poor Prime Minister, across the political spectrum.

Ual747, I doubt the Queen could ever be anything like as scary as Condi, for one she is no ideologue. They usually are rather 'scary'.

UAL747

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Happy Birthday, man.

Wow, didn't even realize it until you said something! Thanks!

Smile

UAL

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
Chelsea Clinton

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
. Fred Savage

at Stanford when Condi was our Vice Provost.

Incidentally the one school that didn't accept me is now below the school I went according to the last US News ranking Wink
I don't take responsibility at all

diamond

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Is it really appropriate for the current Secretary of State to perform a piano recital for the Queen (or anyone else for that matter)?

What's next? Michael Chertoff will now perform his baton-twirling routine, and Vice President Cheney will do interpretive dance to the music of ABBA?
Blank.

canuckpaxguy

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 pm

What's inappropriate about someone demonstrating a talent for someone who appreciates it? Clinton entertained people with his saxophone on many occassions.

Behind their titles, they are indeed real, live, breathing people. The Foreign Secretary's wife accompanied Rice on the violin. Sounds to me like the two chief ambassadors for their nations had a good time. Simple as that. Are they not allowed to politely enjoy themselves once in a while?

G

GDB

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm

It might have been a bit off for such a recital for the Queen (or any other head of state), in the wake of say Sept 11th or another major event involving the US, now Rice is, like the whole Bush administration, on the way out.
Effectively lame ducks.