Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakeOrion
Topic Author

$30,000 Ring For Michelle Obama?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:00 pm

I figured I'd be the evil one and stir the pot and beat DXing and the gang by posting this up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-ring-wife-say-thanks-support.html

Quote:
Michelle Obama is to receive this £20,000 thank you from her husband for her support during the election.

The Harmony ring is made of rhodium - the world's most expensive metal --and encrusted with diamonds. It is being hastily made by Italian designer Giovanni Bosco in time for January's inauguration ceremony.

Only about 25 tons of rhodium are mined each year, mostly in South Africa, and as a result its price is typically around £5,000 an ounce.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-run-ring-the-changes-1044166.html

Quote:
Well, now we know: he does it with a £20,000 piece of jewellery, crafted from the world's most expensive metal: rhodium. Rhodium?

The "Harmony" ring that Obama has ordered for his wife has been designed by the A-list Italian jewellery designer Giovanni Bosco, who's now busy knocking the thing into shape and encrusting it with diamonds before Inauguration Day rolls around on 20 January. Even dearer than those diamonds, however, will be the rhodium ring itself.

And of course, the denial from a rep:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi.../Obama_aide_denies_ring_story.html

Quote:
The communications for Obama's transition, Dan Pfeiffer, flatly denied a Daily Mail report that Obama is buying an exotic $30,000 ring to thank his wife "for her support during the election."

The report is sourced to an anonymous spokesman for the manufacturer of the rhodium ring, who is quoted claiming, "Our agent in the United States was asked by Mr. Barack Obama about the ring because he wants it as a thank-you gift for his wife, Michelle, for her support the last two years."

What is your take on this? A nice gift? Too pricy? Perhaps he should have donated to her favorite charity instead?

fbgdavidson

RE: $30,000 Ring For Michelle Obama?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:03 pm

What's the big deal? If he's wealthy enough to afford it then he can spend his money on whatever he likes.

Sour grapes from the Republicans?

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 1):

Much to do about nothing here, he is an elitist, was an elitist and will always be an elistist. He says A and does B. He used his rhetoric to woo voters but if you look at this guy from the beginning this is not a surprise. For the next 4 years you are going to see a lot of differences from what he does compared to what he said before Nov 4th.

flynavy

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:09 pm

WTF?

It's his money. He can spend it on whatever he wants and spend however much he wants on his wife. He loves Michelle. Give us all a break.

Which party bought over $100K in clothing for their VPOTUS nominee, again? Which party's radical religious faction spent $22 million in support of getting anti-GLBT legislation passed in California? Could these monies have been spent on the GOP's favorite charity of choice (assuming they had any in mind to begin with)?

You people need to get a grip on reality before your party implodes in on itself.

Starbuk7

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Well, I thought that Obama ran on "spreading the wealth". Doesn't seem like he is spreading it very far now, does it??

I am sure that there are a lot more needy Americans that could use that money besides his family, especially if it is not a necessity (I.E food, clothing, roof over head, etc).

stlgph

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):

he's been very forthcoming in interviews and on the campaign trail about being well off.

last i checked, he worked for it.

last i checked, he was encouraging others to do the same.

tear.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 3):
Which party bought over $100K in clothing for their VPOTUS nominee, again?

oh, come on now, that's being reasonable. it was over $150,000.  Wink

ZBBYLW

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:14 pm

$30,000 is not that much, there are many more expensive rings out there. My mother got one from my step dad that was over $50,000. I doubt $30,000 is 1 month of his salary which I think is the line between expensive and not. If it is over 1 month of your take home pay, yeah your spending too much, if not then great why not.

stlgph

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 6):

it's often heard of to buy fine jewelry at one month's earnings.

U.S. president makes $400,000 a year.

do the math.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 5):
he's been very forthcoming in interviews and on the campaign trail about being well off.

Not the point, how many people that voted for him have the means to do go by a 30k ring? The majority of people that are responsible for him being elected did so on the premise he was one of them and understood what it is like be them and would bring the GOP rich Haliburton Dick Cheney thing to an end. These people at present time are scraping to get so you would think it would be in Obama's best interest not to do or let new get out that he is doing something like this.

ImperialEagle

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:22 pm

So what? If he has the bucks and the class to purchase jewlery of that caliber for a loved one, then I congratulate him for it.
Things this personal are no one's business anyway. Unless, of course, someone such as Haliburton supplies the jewelry.

iairallie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:24 pm

I couldn't care less because ...

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 5):

As a conservative I have no issues with people spending their own money how they choose.

Obama though did say he was for wealth redistribution so how about putting your money where your mouth is and tossing one of those rings my way too.

Klaus

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Much to do about nothing here, he is an elitist, was an elitist and will always be an elistist.

As long as he's competent and effective for the good of the country, he can be as elitist as he wants.

You've just had eight years with a chummy-acting guy who was actually born into a wealthy patrician family, basically inheriting the presidency and the country from his dad.

Now you'll get a president with an actual working-class background who has made something of himself. How unamerican!  mischievous 

And if that's supposed to be "elitist", elitist would be exactly what I'd want!  bigthumbsup 

He says A and does B.

When has he said people who could afford it shouldn't buy stuff?  eyebrow 

This business here with the ring is still just a rumour, but as long as he's spending money he has properly earned, it's okay in my book.

baroque

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:30 pm

You people need to get a grip on reality before your party implodes in on itself.

Appropriate warning Fly, but at this distance the implosion started soon after the convention. Or it looked like an implosion from this distance. This sort of criticism is very similar to the sorts of constructive policies being put forward by our now opposition, late government in Canberra. Must be a problem that goes with a major loss and bids fair to turn an inconvenience into a disaster.

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

You say this:

It's his money. He can spend it on whatever he wants and spend however much he wants on his wife.

But then say this:

I was under the impression the Republican party's funding came from donations, therefore, it is the Republican party's right to do whatever they want with it. So its OK for Obama to spend his money however he pleases, yet its NOT OK for the Republican party to spend its money however it pleases. Hmm...

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 4):
Well, I thought that Obama ran on "spreading the wealth". Doesn't seem like he is spreading it very far now, does it??

Oh no no no, he meant spread everyone else's wealth besides his own.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 6):
$30,000 is not that much, there are many more expensive rings out there.

Many Americans survive on $30,000 a year. To them, this is $$$.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):
These people at present time are scraping to get so you would think it would be in Obama's best interest not to do or let new get out that he is doing something like this.

Well, look at it this way; the economy. I mean, with the economy in the tank, is it considered wise to flaunt this type of purchase, when many others are in financial trouble? If he was a true, "Spread the wealth" man, he would have donated the $30,000 instead.

stlgph

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):

not the point? but yet you bring it up?

mmmkay...

Fly2HMO

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 pm

I personally know a few women that have rings/jewelery that are worth more, MUCH more than this ring and it would be the equivalent of wearing a Rolls-Royce Phantom on your finger. This ring is dirt cheap compared to other stuff that's out there.

If they have the money, all power to them.

And before I get flamed for "supporting" Obama, I DIDN'T VOTE. So send your flames elsewhere.  talktothehand 

Klaus

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 16):
He does donate to charities, which is good, but how about sharing more of it as he claims.

He has repeatedly said that "people like us" (meaning himself and the respective conversation partner) should get a tax increase, contrary to middle-class or low-income citizens.

Since that is one of the major ways to "spread the wealth" he proposed, he's been quite consistent thus far.

mt99

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 16):
"share the wealth.

Is it "share" or "spread".... its a big difference..

MadameConcorde

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:02 pm

I think the fact that Obama bought a nice gift for his wife -as costly as it may be- is a very nice idea and is nobody's business but their own.

Still I think it is much better if these things be kept quiet especially in these times of economic slump where a lot of people are without work or will be losing their jobs in the next coming months. A lot of Obama voters must have a difficult time paying their bills. Making this known to the general public is a tad bit shocking.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 9):
Things this personal are no one's business anyway. Unless, of course, someone such as Haliburton supplies the jewelry

LOL, oh yea. Keep telling yourself that.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 11):
Now you'll get a president with an actual working-class background

Huh? Working class? Check what he did when he got out of HS, far from working class.

When has he said people who could afford it shouldn't buy stuff

He didn't I mean how he ran his campaign from the left and is not governing from the center.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 13):

Exactly do as I say not as I do.

Beaucaire

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:05 pm

The French Justice minister Miss Rachida Dati wears Chaumet rings costing 22.000 $ -so what ??
If a French "Ministre de Justice" (actually it's called "garde des sceaux") can wear 22.000 $ rings, Miss Obama should be entitled to her 30.000 $ ring..
It's Obama's money -so who cares ?

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 19):
Is it "share" or "spread".... its a big difference..

My bad, it was supposed to be "spread." Complete typo on my part.

Dougloid

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm

At this point all anyone knows about this story is that it's a story that appeared in something close to the National Enquirer and which has been denied by the Obama people and is sourced to yet another anonymous spokesman.
And we know how reliable they are.

I'm not going to call bullshit on this story yet, but it's close.

MadameConcorde

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 22):
If a French "Ministre de Justice" (actually it's called "garde des sceaux") can wear 22.000 $ rings, Miss Obama should be entitled to her 30.000 $ ring..

Especially when she has got the job without proper qualifications and holding fake diplomas just only because she belonged to Sarkozy's "inner circle"?  Angry

She is not in the same position as Mrs Obama.

Klaus

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 21):
Now you'll get a president with an actual working-class background

Huh? Working class? Check what he did when he got out of HS, far from working class.

Does the word background tell you anything? He came from a very humble background and made his own career instead of inheriting a plush position from his parents. Especially compared to his predecessor it is utterly bizarre to call Obama "elitist" in that context.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 21):
When has he said people who could afford it shouldn't buy stuff

He didn't I mean how he ran his campaign from the left and is not governing from the center.

You're not making any sense.

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm

He has the money and he paid for it with his own money.
Big deal folks.
Get over it.

I think that's already happened.  Smile

Stretch 8

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Did Oprah lend Barry the money for the fancy ring?

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Thread starter):
What is your take on this? A nice gift? Too pricy? Perhaps he should have donated to her favorite charity instead?

His money, he gets to spend it as he pleases.

See what happens when you step on kitty's tail?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):

My sentiments exactly.

As long as he's competent and effective for the good of the country, he can be as elitist as he wants.

Disagree. There is a difference between doing what I say and doing as I do. In the position of President he has the authority to tell a lot of people what to do. In that case he can ill afford to act as an elitist. But buying a ring for your wife if you have the funds is hardly elitist.

So how long before Falcon chimes in with some good old class envy? There ought to be some here.

Rara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
Especially compared to his predecessor it is utterly bizarre to call Obama "elitist" in that context.

He is intelligent, can speak well and express his own thoughts. He also seems to have a profound knowledge of the world. In short, he's a bloody elitist in my book.

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 29):

His money, he gets to spend it as he pleases.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):

My sentiments exactly.

There is a difference between doing what I say and doing as I do. In the position of President he has the authority to tell a lot of people what to do. In that case he can ill afford to act as an elitist. But buying a ring for your wife if you have the funds is hardly elitist.

WOW!  Wow!
Did someone steal DXing's password?
DXing defending a Democrat?
That's a first.

OlegShv

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Much to do about nothing here, he is an elitist, was an elitist and will always be an elistist.

Of course. The real Americans never buy their wives jewelry that costs more than $20 at Wal-Mart. They just yell at them if they don't bring them another six pack from the fridge while watching a football game. Oh, and the real Americans never speak in complete sentences - it's just so elitist. Youbetcha, goshdarnit.

Proud educated elitist.

mbmbos

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm

The communications for Obama's transition, Dan Pfeiffer, flatly denied a Daily Mail report...

The report is sourced to an anonymous spokesman...

Um, so we're arguing about something that might not even be real and has the earmarks of a fake story?

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 24):
I'm not going to call bullshit on this story yet, but it's close.

I'm with you Dougloid.

max999

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, look at it this way; the economy. I mean, with the economy in the tank, is it considered wise to flaunt this type of purchase, when many others are in financial trouble? If he was a true, "Spread the wealth" man, he would have donated the $30,000 instead.

All these accusations of elitism are completely baseless. His spokesperson said he did not buy the ring so this debate should have ended right there.

By continuing to argue back and forth about this legitimizes the accusations that Obama might just be an elitist.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Ok tell you what go review all the statements Obama made before Nov 4th and compare them to his comments and actions after Nov 4th.

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 32):
Of course. The real Americans never buy their wives jewelry that costs more than $20 at Wal-Mart. They just yell at them if they don't bring them another six pack from the fridge while watching a football game. Oh, and the real Americans never speak in complete sentences - it's just so elitist. Youbetcha, goshdarnit.

Ahh time to make fun of middle America. You owe a bunch of people an apology buddy. Maybe you even have the courage to come here and say it to their faces maybe? So insulting.

Quoting Max999 (Reply 34):
might just be an elitist.

Oooooooooo k.

mirrodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Still boo hooing?

You've just had eight years with a chummy-acting guy who was actually born into a wealthy patrician family, basically inheriting the presidency and the country from his dad.

I'd like to see Niks' retort to that.

And you are just starting to realize this now?

The way I see it, didn't Obama make over 4 million from his past book sales? If you go by the notion that an engagement ring should be 3 months salary, I think Obama is actually undercutting what Michelle is owed.

iairallie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 15):
but totally okay with the $22 million the LDS church spent on Prop 8?

You know this is a lie you've been told before, you need to cease and desist. Private donations by people who happen to be members of the LDS faith do not equal the church itself donating that money and you know it. How this number was even derived is a puzzle. None of the donor declaration forms track the donor's faith. It is a guess at best.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 15):
How do you know Obama DOESN'T donate money to charities?

Their charitable spending is a matter of public record. I believe he does donate. No one is saying he does not. The difference is those donations are voluntary. Forced wealth redistribution through taxation is not.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
That's a first.

He's defending the right of Americans to choose how to spend their own money. I also agree who cares if he bought his wife a ring it's a nice gesture.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 36):
I'd like to see Niks' retort to that

Retort to what? Inheriting? Did we not vote that year? He just inherited it? His dad must have put it in his will. It's nonsense and doesn't deserve a response except it's justs more Bush bashing.

Still boo hooing?

Nope just merely stating the obvious.

The way I see it, didn't Obama make over 4 million from his past book sales? If you go by the notion that an engagement ring should be 3 months salary, I think Obama is actually undercutting what Michelle is owed.

That is all well and good but Obama ran on the premise that he would go after the big bad CEOs that were making more in a week than "Main St" people were making in a year and had no health care. Kind of ironic that someone like this would even consider a ring like this. I mean that buys a lot of health care doesn't it?

mt99

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 38):

That is all well and good but Obama ran on the premise that he would go after the big bad CEOs that were making more in a week than "Main St" people were making in a year and had no health care.

No silly buns. Obama went against the big bad CEOs that paid proportionally LESS TAX than "Main St" people

Klaus

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:32 pm

I'd like to see Niks' retort to that

Retort to what? Inheriting? Did we not vote that year? He just inherited it? His dad must have put it in his will. It's nonsense and doesn't deserve a response except it's justs more Bush bashing.

Can you claim with a straight face that GWB could ever have had a shot at the presidency without him being the well-connected son of GHWB, on his own merits?

I'd love to see you try.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

As a fairly conservative person, I say "who cares?"

Much ado about nothing. If I had the money to comfortably spend on it, I'd do the same thing. And seeing as it'd be for my wife and because I worked hard for that money, I wouldn't feel bad about it at all.

Good for him. As long as he doesn't somehow work it into the budget somewhere along the line, I'm happy.

rfields5421

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 pm

But buying a ring for your wife if you have the funds is hardly elitist.

Key point - for his wife

The only people who would see anything wrong would be very unlikely to have or have had a successful marriage.

The rules are different for keeping the wife happy no matter what political party / views you support.

One other point - Michelle Obama is going to represent you and the rest of this country to the world.

Do you want her in a $35 house dress from Walmart with a $150 ring from the junk counter?

OlegShv

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
Ahh time to make fun of middle America. You owe a bunch of people an apology buddy. Maybe you even have the courage to come here and say it to their faces maybe? So insulting.

I'm actually right here in Midwest. If someone feels offended by the description in my post - well, if lifestyle that I described there actually fits theirs, then they'd certainly feel uncomfortable because this is not the lifestyle that is considered normal these days. I don't see the need for an apology.

My point is that making statements about Obama being an elitist in the negative sense is utterly ridiculous. Is he more educated than an average Joe? - yes. Is he making enough money to afford a $30k ring as a (likely one-in-a-lifetime) gift for his wife? - yes. Did he study and work hard during his life to get to where he is now? - yes. What's the problem then?

He will definitely do a better job of running the country than an average Joe. You want to call him an elitist - fine, but don't drag the negative connotation with it. Would you rather have a POTUS who can actually speak in clear, proper English, or someone who who has no intellectual curiosity and can only mumble something that doesn't make sense when you read the transcript of their speech? The former would be an "elitist". Wait, I think we just had 8 years of the latter.

PS.
Speaking of "elitism" in material terms: IIRC, at one point in the campaign the other presidential candidate forgot how many mansions he owned (I believe it ended up being 7 or 8, can't remember myself).
 duck 

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
Can you claim with a straight face that GWB could ever have had a shot at the presidency without him being the well-connected son of GHWB, on his own merits?

I'd love to see you try.

Like I said the people voted pal, anyway he stole it from Gore remember?  sarcastic 

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 43):
I'm actually right here in Midwest

That's great yet I still would bet you don't have the stones to go say that to someone who shops at Walmart and does the things you said.

then they'd certainly feel uncomfortable because this is not the lifestyle that is considered normal these days. I don't see the need for an apology.

You wouldn't your too busy being pompous. Just beacause you don't consider going to Walmart and watching football on TV normal doesn't mean squat.

My point is that making statements about Obama being an elitist in the negative sense is utterly ridiculous. Is he more educated than an average Joe? - yes. Is he making enough money to afford a $30k ring as a (likely one-in-a-lifetime) gift for his wife? - yes. Did he study and work hard during his life to get to where he is now? - yes. What's the problem then?

Has nothing to do with being smart. I know plenty of people who are elitist and they are dumb as posts. As far making enough money to buy a 30k ring that is great but he exploited the notion that he was Robin hood who was going to steal from the rich and give to the poor. Mostly to get votes but something like this just doesn't jive with the rhetoric.

EMBQA

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Which VP nominee sent it back...? You mean to tell me the DNC did not spend one dime on Obama, Biden and their wives..? That number is out there.. the press just won't give it up.

But yea, good for Barrack and Michelle.... nice ring if the story is real..

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

Nope, I'm defending a person. As stated:

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 37):
He's defending the right of Americans to choose how to spend their own money. I also agree who cares if he bought his wife a ring it's a nice gesture.

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 42):
The rules are different for keeping the wife happy no matter what political party / views you support.

You got that right.  scared 

Besides, at Tiffany's they are probably wondering why he settled for something so cheap.

mt99

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 45):
Which VP nominee sent it back...? Y

Would she have given it back if it hadnt come out?

QANTAS077

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm

so is spending $30,000 not spreading the wealth? I mean that money will keep someone in a job, right?

Aaron747

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 10):
Obama though did say he was for wealth redistribution so how about putting your money where your mouth is and tossing one of those rings my way too.

Well, I thought that Obama ran on "spreading the wealth".

Even after all the fact-checking in the campaign this nonsense is still going around? Talk about living in the past. Name me a President since Teddy Roosevelt that didn't support wealth redistribution in some way, shape, or form.

But buying a ring for your wife if you have the funds is hardly elitist.

checkmark  I have friends who can't afford new cars, but I bought one for my wife last year anyway. According to some in this thread, I'm therefore elitist.

Kind of ironic that someone like this would even consider a ring like this. I mean that buys a lot of health care doesn't it?

One red herring after another - you're building a mountain out of them dude.

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 48):
so is spending $30,000 not spreading the wealth? I mean that money will keep someone in a job, right?

Yep, an Italian jeweler, so guess what, he outsourced the job to an overseas manufacturer!

http://www.theodoresworld.net/

The stunning thank you ring is made by top Italian designer Giovanni Bosco, who are based at Valenza Po near Alessandria and who counts a select list of VIPS's and celebrities as his clients

rotfl  Do as I say, not as I do.

kmh1956

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 28):
He is intelligent, can speak well and express his own thoughts. He also seems to have a profound knowledge of the world. In short, he's a bloody elitist in my book.

If that's your definition of elitist then I am elitist also.

The man made his money honestly, through hard work. Should he not be able to treat his wife to something special after she stood by his side throughout what must have been a gruelling campaign and was also trying to maintain some sense of normalcy for their girls as well?

Good Lord, the man hasn't even taken office yet and I'm hearing stuff about broken campaign promises.

And...in case anyone wonders, I am not American so cannot vote in the elections...