Phoenix9
Topic Author

RE: Shoes Thrown At President Bush - Video

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:50 am

Well what do you know....W is in Afganistan now!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/553710

If he is doing this to really meet up with the troops and showing that he really cares then kudos to him, it is a generous gesture....but if it is being done for photo op. and "improving" his image....then shame on him.

[Edited 2008-12-14 18:51:36]
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

nzblue

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:26 am

just when you thought the pretzel and the segway couldn't be topped...  duck 
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

zootrix

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:45 am

Full marks for Bush's quick reflexes, esp. at his age.

cedars747

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:46 am

This is the best video of the year 2008.
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

johnboy

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 am

I could watch that video all day long!

It just gets better and better each time.  Smile

I'm waiting for the Joan Crawford face-slap/ George Bush shoe-throw remix on YouTube now.

Marco

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 am

Kudos to Montadar!
Bush deserves it for destroying our country!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

keesje

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:33 am

I don't support Bush or his administration, contrary.

Still this is no way to protest an elected head of state during a public visit interviews.

IMO Bush handled it ok / cool.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 am

Saw the video clip on another forum. I had a big laugh.

Taken from a serious aspect, being the president of any country incurs some risks. If they are not willing to take the risks then why take the job? They should be in the Senate or do something else.

I am not in favour of super-hyper protection for any head of state it would be fascistic/dictatorial a la Kim Jong il, Marcos, Franco, etc.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

bravo45

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 64):
Still this is no way to protest an elected head of state during a public visit interviews.

Applicable to those who elected him, namely Americans. Iraqis never asked for what he did to them.

P.S I wonder where is he right now...

[Edited 2008-12-15 02:24:23]

ltbewr

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 am

As much as I despise GWB, this shoe throwing attack is wrong. I suspect he will spend a lot of time in a nasty prison. The Secret Service detail should have stopped the guy when he was taking off his shoes and reacted much sooner to cover the President, get him out of the room immediatly.
The reporter was using shoes as his weapon of choice as probably about the only thing one could bring into the room and as others noted the cultural idea that hitting a person with a shoe or showing the sole of a shoe or one's foot is a gesture of great insult there. The reporter did his act in protest for the many killed, crippled or made refugees by the US and GWB led war in Iraq.

baroque

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:25 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 67):
The reporter did his act in protest for the many killed, crippled or made refugees by the US and GWB led war in Iraq.

checkmark  What else needs to be said other than that apparently Bush still does not get it?

The symmetry of the US applauding Iraqis hitting Saddam's statue with their shoes and this protest will hardly be missed by the locals.

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 am

Watch :

Iraqi Journalist Throws Shoes At George Bush *BEST QUALITY*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYBG...knet.info/?p=m49596&hd=&size=1&l=e

Embarrassment

baroque

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 69):
Watch :

Iraqi Journalist Throws Shoes At George Bush *BEST QUALITY*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYBG...knet.info/?p=m49596&hd=&size=1&l=e

On the cricket replays here, the elapsed time for the event is usually given. Someone should work it out for the shoe avoidance and see how Bush compares with the reaction time for a slip catch. Pretty good at a rough guess.

But he still does not get it, does he?

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 pm

hmmm... wondering if they will get ALL inaugural attendees (guests and public) stripped off their shoes by security?  Confused

GrahamHill

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Great reflex from President Bush! Did he do some martial arts when he was young? Big grin
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

airtrainer

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:40 pm

well done, I just wish it happened before...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

cedars747

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 73):
well done, I just wish it happened before

Just the right moment to say Hasta la vista baby !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

johnboy

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 72):
Great reflex from President Bush! Did he do some martial arts when he was young?

I think it's all that cheerleader training.

Elite

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):
I'd also defend him from bodily harm; But he has more than earned his share of humiliation, not least for his blatant lack of humility.

Oh, come on, the guy has already had enough humiliation from being the most made fun of President in history. Just Google / YouTube George Bush Parody or something like that and you'll get millions of results.

itsjustme

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 26):
I like Bush he is down to earth honest but definitely not eloquent.

"Bush" and "honest" in the same sentence?  thumbsdown 

captaink

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Its a real messy situation. Bush got them out of the mess with Saddam and led them into another. It is difficult to come out a winner in this situation. Maybe some prefer to be under the Saddam regime.
Look Up

itsjustme

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Update:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – The Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush in a supreme insult has suddenly become the talk of Iraq.

The little known Shi'ite reporter said to have harbored anger against Bush for the thousands of Iraqis who died after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, had previously made headlines only once, when he was briefly kidnapped by unknown gunmen in 2007.

TV reporter Muntazer al-Zaidi remained in detention on Monday, accused by the Iraqi government of a "barbaric act."

His employer, independent al-Baghdadiya television, demanded his release and demonstrators rallied for him in Sadr City in Baghdad, the southern Shi'ite stronghold of Basra and the holy city of Najaf, where some threw shoes at a U.S. convoy.

"Thanks be to God, Muntazer's act fills Iraqi hearts with pride," his brother, Udai al-Zaidi, told Reuters Television, demanding that the Iraqi government free him.

"I'm sure many Iraqis want to do what Muntazer did. Muntazer used to say all the orphans whose father were killed are because of Bush."

Zaidi shouted "this is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog," at Bush in a news conference the U.S. president held with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki during an unannounced farewell visit to Baghdad on Sunday.

The journalist then flung one shoe at Bush, forcing him to duck, followed by another, which sailed over Bush's head and slammed into the wall behind him. Throwing shoes at someone is the worst possible insult in the Arab world.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081215/ts_nm/us_iraq_bush_shoes_1

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):
Talk about the security lapse

A Shoe attack.

Got to give credit to GWB for fantastic reflexes  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Elite

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 51):
Maybe the Knicks will offer him a contract.

Oh boy, another swing at my poor Knicks  Sad

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 80):

Phoenix9 is right. The shoes could have easily been something else that could hurt President Bush. And, after the first shoe was thrown, I expected security personnel to come rushing out... but it took a little longer than expected.

The person that reacted the fastest was George Walker Bush!

Dougloid

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Someone help me out here. What is the significance of tossing your Bruno Maglis at someone aside from the fact that it is an insult? I mean, there must be some specific meaning attached to it, right?

On the other hand, it does point to a certain liberalization of the press in Iraq. I'm quite sure that anyone who tossed his brogans at...well...Saddam or his crew would have had some serious problems, but they wouldn't have lasted very long. There's a video of Saddam with a bunch of people in an auditorium, he's got them all accusing each other of scurrilous things, and I understand they later got topped.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ronglimeng

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm

I remember the "attack" on Saddam's statue with all those barefoot guys slapping the fallen statue with their sandals - I just thought it looked dumb. Why didn't they pee on it?

And now we have a guy throwing his shoes at President Bush. The worst insult an Arab can make? It just seems ineffectual and stupid to me.

I know we're supposed to have sensitivity and understanding for other cultures but this thing with the shoes....I just don't get it. Sorry!

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 70):
But he still does not get it, does he?

If you bothered to listen to the end of the tape he gets it. The guy was making a political point, as you are. Feel free to take the actions of one man and ascribe it to the majority though. I guess we all hated Kennedy if that is the case.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Klaus

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:17 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 84):
If you bothered to listen to the end of the tape he gets it.

Hardly. He takes it as just another day at the office, nothing to do with his own performance.

No, he doesn't get it – or he's unable to deal with it if he does.

Dougloid

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 83):
I know we're supposed to have sensitivity and understanding for other cultures but this thing with the shoes....I just don't get it. Sorry!

I'll tell you that if you tossed a set of logging corks at somebody's head and they didn't duck they'd probably be dead. Of course you'd have to have more muscles than your average Iraqi journalist to get them up and launched too.

There's some footwear with real heft.

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 pm

The sad part is it looks like he's had plenty of practice at home!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 85):
He takes it as just another day at the office, nothing to do with his own performance.

And as he stated, people yell at political rallies or give him the finger as the motorcade goes by. Guess what, same thing has happened to all Presidents in on fashion or another, just as it will to PE Obama. It's called Free Speech. Of course I had forgotten that had been one of the main guaranteed rights under Saddam  sarcastic 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

baroque

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 85):
Quoting DXing (Reply 84):
If you bothered to listen to the end of the tape he gets it.

Hardly. He takes it as just another day at the office, nothing to do with his own performance.

No, he doesn't get it -- or he's unable to deal with it if he does.

Well that is what I concluded, and not casually either. Having listened to it on two different news programs and the link given by MC, I was about to wonder what I had missed. Looks like nothing much, but if you care to explain the point at which he explains how he "gets it" DXing, I will try yet again. Don't want to be unfair to the guy after 5.5 years of that particular war.

I did notice however at a different point that he now concedes the Iraq war is not over, which is quite an advance. But as for getting what Iraqis think of it all -  no 

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Iraq rally for Bush shoe attacker - BBC

Thousands of Iraqis have demanded the release of a local TV reporter who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush at a Baghdad news conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7783608.stm

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 89):
but if you care to explain the point at which he explains how he "gets it" DXing, I will try yet again.

As the President said, the man was trying to draw attention to himself. People do that all the time at political rallies and as he is being driven down the street. I suppose you feel that PE Obama will not face the same sorts of gestures when he takes office?

Quoting Baroque (Reply 89):
I did notice however at a different point that he now concedes the Iraq war is not over, which is quite an advance. But as for getting what Iraqis think of it all -

You know, strike all that. I was going to ask you to clarify but what's the point. That the country is coming up on yet another free and fair election is completely lost on you. It's pointless to argue with someone who does not understand security. Save the "I got bombs dropped on me" speech, it flat lines and means nothing in this context. No matter what President Bush says about Iraq you'll never agree, but one thing you can't dismiss, no attack has occured on our soil since 9/11. I wonder how long that record will hold.

[Edited 2008-12-15 08:10:37]

[Edited 2008-12-15 08:11:21]

jcs17

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm

What would have happened if he had thrown his shoes at Saddam Hussein? You kind of have to chuckle at the irony of this entire story. I'm sure the New York Times though is getting a job offer ready for this guy.

[Edited 2008-12-15 08:06:21]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Klaus

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 91):
As the President said, the man was trying to draw attention to himself. People do that all the time at political rallies and as he is being driven down the street. I suppose you feel that PE Obama will not face the same sorts of gestures when he takes office?

You're on par with Bush in terms of denial.

The man blew up after Bush went on about the wonderful state Iraq was now in due to the wonderful US invasion. And the public reaction speaks volumes as well.

AGM100

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Just think if that was Saddam , the guy would be just getting ready for his acid bath. Then its off to the old piano wire noose ! Damn the good old days...where have they gone...?
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

solarix

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 94):
Just think if that was Saddam , the guy would be just getting ready for his acid bath. Then its off to the old piano wire noose ! Damn the good old days...where have they gone...?

Sad isn't it? And Bush is called the war criminal. That shoe throwing hadji would be worm food if that were Saddam. Oh wait, actually, no he wouldn't... I forgot... there was no free press back then so he couldn't have been a reporter. Whooops!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

DocLightning

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Solarix (Reply 88):

Sad isn't it? And Bush is called the war criminal.

Right. Because nobody was ever tortured to death under Bush. No sovereign nation was ever invaded under Bush.

Sorry, but war crimes are war crimes. Saddam hung for his. And I think Bush should hang for his.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 86):
You're on par with Bush in terms of denial.

So you believe that Iraq was a better nation under Saddam Hussiens rule. That the Iraqis will again go to the polls for free and fair elections in a month or so where they will actually be able to choose without fear of a knock on the door at midnight is something you abhor?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 89):
No sovereign nation was ever invaded under Bush.

Hmmmm...Italy, Germany, Japan, North Korea, Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Iran, Grenada, Panama, just a few that come to mind in the last century. Guess there should be a few Presidents hanging by that line of reasoning.

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 90):
That the Iraqis will again go to the polls for free and fair elections in a month or so where they will actually be able to choose without fear of a knock on the door at midnight is something you abhor?

Oh god here come the 25% of the US that are Bush defenders......  Yeah sure  banghead   vomit 

Confuscius

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 74):
I expected security personnel to come rushing out... but it took a little longer than expected.

Because there's no glamor in taking a shoe for the president. Bullet yes...Shoe no.
Ain't I a stinker?

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Yeah..... that dent and red-mark would be reason for torture from his fellow Secret Service members that he'd never get away from. A bullet hole can be hidden in the future under clothes.

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 91):
Oh god here come the 25% of the US that are Bush defenders......

That would actually be oh God and the "we can't fathom two fronts in the same war" crowd has made its presence known.

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Wasn't it Bush last month that admitted to the press that the war in Iraq isn't with the WAR ON TERROR. This is 2 seperate wars we're fighting...... I'm not whining about Afghanistan, but why are we in Iraq?

Bush slammed Putin and the Russian government this summer when they invaded Georgia, but we did the same thing 5 years ago, and nobody thinks anything of it. Its a war for resources in IRAQ, not the War on Terror.

[Edited 2008-12-15 10:19:16]

Dougloid

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Sorry, but war crimes are war crimes. Saddam hung for his. And I think Bush should hang for his.

Wait a minute! Weren't you the guy who was giving me the what for about what I think ought to happen to the Westboro Baptist Church? That's pretty judgmental in the absence of anything resembling a conviction.

And the rest of you, no crap about the court of public opinion, OK?

Wink

greggarious

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 10):

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 7):
possibly the best legacy of the presidency.

So, your saying the reporter who threw the shoes is a hero? Is that right?

Yeah, I'd say that.  Wink

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Its funny that the Bush apologists say "oh the sunni's and shi'ite groups were about to have a war in iraq, and we we're trying to help". Look at the position of the country now.... both sides have united to try to get the Americans out of their land. Bush apologists don't get that.... they only see a "justified" war.

AGM100

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Sad . Its sad I have friends actually risking there lives to defend your type. Sad that we have great Americans in harms way trying to bring some form of sane governemnt and freedom to these people. Not asking them to kiss our ass , but instead why dont they try fixing up there neighbourhood ?. Hey Saddar city residence ... instead of burning our flag again .. go clean up and sweep your streets. How about bending your backward ass over and picking up some trash ? .. maybe paint you freeking house?. Have some freekin pride in yourself. Dispicable. If these fools would put half the effort into making their city livable they would be alot better off.

You know I regret now that we did not just flatten Saddar city ... freekin Archlight the crap hole. We lost many guys there trying to fight them without pissing them off. We should have saved our people and just flattened the place.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

smcmac32msn

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 99):

You're defending this war as a matter of asthetics?? Seriously?? They've lived there since the beginning of mankind, and have their traditions.... just as we do. Leave them be. If you want to bother with how neighborhoods look, go help fix up the inner city of any major urban area.

[Edited 2008-12-15 10:52:13]