ryanb741

RE: Are You Paid Well For Your Current Job?

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 pm

This year has been a pretty good sales year for me as my client base is Public Sector and so not affected as much by cuts in recruitment as the Private Sector. I will finish off the year having earned around £130,000 which is just shy of $200,000 which is a pretty decent wage for a 31 year old, even in London.

Have a load of debt and mortgage payments to get rid of though so I haven't been living the life of Riley (in fact I don't own a car). I did just fork out £7k on a watch though so I have been able to enjoy life at times.

Really want to try to do £200k next year, should be possible due increased online migration of Public Sector recruitment advertising.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

GQfluffy

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:12 pm

This isn't where I parked my car...

stratosphere

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 25):
Damn and here I work in the main base for FedEx and I only earn 85k.

Oh and make that 5% less as of January 1st. (permanent) and no 401K match for 1 yr. Announced today for salaried exempt employees of which I am one. Personnally I don't care about making sacrifices during the rough times as long as everyone does and right now the hourly and pilots are not a part of this. We have pilots here who are being paid to sit at home because we have a surplus with the 3 man crew a/c going away and the age 65 rule change. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs but I have issues with making sacrifices in my pay to protect the pilot group surplus and not only that some of them want to play hardball with the special rates for the 777 pilots. During hard times EVERYONE needs to sacrifice. But make no mistake I am still better off than a lot of people right now and am still greatful to be here.

lincoln

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:38 am

I alternate between feeling like I'm underpaid or paid well depending on who I've dealt with on any particular day. Sometimes I think going the salaried route was a mistake, but on the other hand it's nice knowing that if I decide I'm going to leave at 2:00 as long as my projects get finished it doesn't affect my pay.

And for fairness, every time I look at comparable jobs to get a feel for the market, they're advertised at $15-30k per year less with worse benefits... but I'm also doing network admin, phone admin, little bit of in-house legal so I can't always convince myself it's apples-to-apples.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 3):
Funny a lot of weird jobs garner good money and the required, decent ones pay minimal.

I don't know this is a fair comparison; I have several teachers (either retired or current) in the extended family -- all California public schools (a mix of urban, suburban, and rural districts)... The pay (with a few years of senority) isn't terrible and the retirement benefits are fantastic... I may take a slight dip in pay now if I knew I had a substantial % of my monthly income gaurnteed in retirement.

Private schools are a whole 'nother animal, though.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 10):
That and not being home with family, loved ones, etc.. That price.

... and waking up in a different bed every night of the week.

(I've spent the past three nights in two different hotels and I'm changing timezones tomorrow after one night in my own bed)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

iairallie

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:02 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 48):
I haven't seen a person that would say that he/she is compensated fairly

I and several others on this thread have said exactly that.

Can't find my original post where I said that but I feel I am compensated fairly for what I do.

[Edited 2008-12-18 17:07:16]
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

f1eddie

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:12 am

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
I guess we could chalk this up with the self-gloss crap, but I just got my review and annual raise and I hit six figures. I'm only 28 years old so I feel (relatively) accomplished. I know my father was only 24 when he made his first $100,000 annually, but I feel pretty good right now.

Do you feel underpaid? I'm not asking for anyone to share approximate figures on annual salary, but I'm asking for thoughts regarding it, given the current state of the global economy.

From having a very quick eye through this thread, it seems like we here in europe are much better paid than our american counterparts. I currently work in retail, and i earn in the region of 25K euros. Well im nearly 28 and would love to be earning your kind of money, but i did only take the job up 4months ago. I have had a ball up to now and i dont really regret anything, including wasting my working carrer away. I dont mind that im only really starting it now.

Apparently a 24year old irish guy is going to buy 20% of EI which i would be quite jealous of, as i love property which is where this guy apparently made his money, and im 4 years oder than him. But i bet he has not travelled like i have, and worked his ass off since he has been 16. Life is all about balance.....
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

Emirates773ER

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:37 am

I just got out of school in april with my engineering degree, due to my previous internships in the oil industry I had job offers lined up. I cleared 150k from april to december so doing pretty good alhumdullilah (knock on wood).
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

lxa333

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:03 am

I am making zip right now, but I go to college and have 2 internships under my belt. Hopefully I'll get a job lined up right after graduation which pays around 60k-70k(Standard in NYC for most starting Financial Advisers). Or if not that, I'll probably head to biz grad school in the UK/France seeing as I will eventually move back to the European home land. But grad school seems to be the best option with the current economy if you're an undergrad student.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

airportugal310

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:10 am

got the ol' "budget is frozen" speech the other day...you know what that means...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

767Lover

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:50 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 48):
I haven't seen a person that would say that he/she is compensated fairly, everybody wants more than they are worth/deserve.

Actually, I believe I am paid just about right for the amount of work I do and the lifestyle it allows me to have. I make a great living but work very hard for it, with some crazy hours at times.

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 56):
it seems like we here in europe are much better paid than our american counterparts.

Your taxes are much higher, so it's all relative.

dw747400

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:19 am

I'm probably paid fairly for the job I do, but the job I do doesn't really challenge me at all. Thus, I'd argue I'm worth more than I'm being paid, but given the current economic situation I'm pretty thankful to have what I do.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

steeler83

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 pm

Well, I am about to take on a second job, another housekeeping job, but at an assisted living place, while I pursue my MA in Geography at West Chester University of PA. Between these two jobs, I will be making up to about $800 bi-weekly...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

kbfispotter

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Well, I am still trying to figure out how if the airline I work for is having a hard ime financialy, then why is our CEO, and VPs taking close to a seven figure bonus? They keep on telling us that we need to cut costs every way we can, and say that they might have to lay people off, yet they can give themself a major bonus??????????????

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

WESTERN737800

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm making what I wanted to be making about 3 years ago. I work outside about half of the time. Some days I feel like I'm fairly compensated, but days like today with temps in the single digits and wind chills around -40F I dont feel like I get paid near enough.
Bring back Western Airlines!

aaflt1871

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:37 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 51):
http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...601087&sid=aMvc7aZRvXiU&refer=home

Yet you got a raise?

Doubt it. Smells like Bullshit to me.
Where did everybody go?

goboeing

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:43 am

No I am not paid well and I give the company what they pay for.

I do my job 100% and that is it. Anything not in my job description, I don't do.

I don't answer the phone when my company calls me.

I have little loyalty because of the pay and if offered a higher paying job I would take it and that would likely mean moving out of the USA.

Most others in my company in my position do just the same.

I enjoy the job itself very much and I look forward to it but I simply have no incentive to do anything more than I need to. And I treat passengers well regardless of pay, too. Not their fault I'm underpaid. I'm not bitter. I am happy at work.

I just do NOTHING extra for them, EVER. With what they pay me, they should expect nothing else.

[Edited 2008-12-24 20:47:28]

Dazed767

Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:25 am

$14.31/hr ramp rat. Who knows what raise I'll get 3 months from now (if any). YTD I've made around $35k (lots of O.T.), but with a little over 10k in taxes and deductions taken out I've taken home around $24k and change.  Sad

Of course I could be paid more, but I'm doing ok. Just glad to have a job at this point even though I hate it lol.

airportugal310

Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 65):
I just do NOTHING extra for them, EVER. With what they pay me, they should expect nothing else.

This doesnt sound like the same guy I knew in college!  laughing 
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”