Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo
Topic Author

OpenOffice Vs. Microsoft Office

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:09 pm

I just purchased a new HP desktop and am installing all of my software onto it. I still have my copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Student & Teacher and am debating whether or not to replace that with OpenOffice. It is fully compatible with Microsoft Office and is free. I was wondering if any of you have experience with both products and which you would recommend? My intentions are fairly basic school related tasks, nothing too hardcore. Thanks.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

wilco737

RE: OpenOffice Vs. Microsoft Office

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Thread starter):
It is fully compatible with Microsoft Office and is free. I was wondering if any of you have experience with both products and which you would recommend? My intentions are fairly basic school related tasks, nothing too hardcore. Thanks.

I have openOffice on my laptop (which I got from the company) and I use it and it works fine. Most functions are the same, so easy to adopt to it.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ShyFlyer

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:45 pm

My intentions are fairly basic school related tasks, nothing too hardcore. Thanks.

OpenOffice will be just fine. I use both regularly and like Wilco found it (specifically Writer, Impress, and Calc) to be a fairly painless transition. I haven't noted any problems opening programs created in Office nor have I experienced any difficulty saving files created in OpenOffice in the Office format (doc, xls, ppt).

My only gripe with OpenOffice is the built in PDF creation in Writer. Sometimes, not always, it garbles the text in the resulting file. Upgrading to 3.0 seems to have solved this, though I haven't tested it extensively yet.
I lift things up and put them down.

ktrick45

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Open Office. Without any hesitation. It has yet to fail me in any application.

Cadet57

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Seem's I'll be the first to say that open office was horrible. I downloaded it for my mac and it was a piece of garbage. Very slow and it was a memory hog. I stuck with office.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Rj111

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:13 pm

MS Office '03 is what you want. '07 is 'orrible.

Open Office is alright, but i'm not as familier with it as i am with MS stuff.

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 5):

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I have '07 on my work computer, and I can't stand it. I can never find anything I need.

I haven't used Open Office yet, but I may switch to it (or to Google Docs) soon, if I get a new computer.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N867DA

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 pm

OpenOffice is not that bad. However, I had a lot of problems switching between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007. They're usually small problems though--a different font or some images moved to a different spot.

...but you can't argue with OpenOffice's price!
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

RussianJet

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Open Office is fine, particularly for your stated needs, It is worthy of our support, and best of all is not Microsoft and not a few hundred pounds or dollars.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Gemuser

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 am

My BIG problem with Open Office, (it may not affect you), is that it only comes with an American English dictionary for the spell checker. That's a deal killer for me I'm afraid. I could live with a UK English dictionary but really need an Australian English one like MS offers.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

mham001

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:46 am

I use both and Open Office is adequate. I really like the Office 2007 upgrade though. Things are easier to find. Big improvement over 2003.

Flighty

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:55 am

If you are a hardcore user, only the Microsoft Office product will do.

Further, only the Microsoft Windows product will do... their Mac products are a candyland joke. No VBR, no macros, just no nothing basically. No Access.

For basic tasks, OpenOffice works OK. But if you already have the Microsoft product, use that. One thing Microsoft does better is the Equation Editor to put math problems into documents. OpenOffice has one but it is woefully inferior.

OpenOffice has improved a lot. It is very good. But if you really need the Microsoft features then OO will not be good enough. Excel documents and formulas do not always work on OpenOffice either, in my experience. Its formula syntax is a little different.

Bottom line, Microsoft is evil and they will find ways to screw you unless you use their products. But can you survive on open freeware, yes I reckon you can. I have always tried to do it but for me it is impossible to survive without genuine Office.

Elite

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:31 am

Microsoft 08 for Mac is horrible; but I don't have a choice. I can't use OpenOffice because most people don't have it and they get all confused when they see .ODT as an extension.

asuflyer05

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:32 am

I have Open Office and it is sufficient for what I use it for. If I were doing heavy spreadsheet work, I would probably opt for Office though.

austinairport

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 5):

Open Office is alright, but i'm not as familier with it as i am with MS stuff.

yes  '07 sucks nuts. '03 is fine. I have '03. But any free software is already a huge plus over paying money for Office.
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

RussianJet

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:49 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 12):
I can't use OpenOffice because most people don't have it and they get all confused when they see .ODT as an extension.

Can you not save in other formats? On the PC you can.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

DfwRevolution

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:10 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 11):
If you are a hardcore user, only the Microsoft Office product will do. For basic tasks, OpenOffice works OK.

OpenOffice has improved a lot. It is very good. But if you really need the Microsoft features then OO will not be good enough. Excel documents and formulas do not always work on OpenOffice either, in my experience. Its formula syntax is a little different.

checkmark  I use OpenOffice at home because my personal office needs are quite simple. But for lab and school work, Microsoft Office runs circles around OpenOffice. The "power" features in OpenOffice are woefully inferior.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 8):
Open Office is fine, particularly for your stated needs

Well his stated needs include "school," which for someone in their early 20s could mean university work. OpenOffice will make a pie chart and book report just fine, but if you start inserting error uncertainty bars, figures, annotations, or (god forbid) need to compile a mail merge.... just buy the real thing.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

cannibalz3

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:29 am

For most things, particularly the word processor, Open Office is great, but I had incredibly frustrating issues doing certain statistics in Calc, and the presentation software was a nightmare. I use MS Office now, but wouldn't usually mind using Open Office if I had to.

Klaus

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
Seem's I'll be the first to say that open office was horrible. I downloaded it for my mac and it was a piece of garbage. Very slow and it was a memory hog.

For the Mac you are better off using NeoOffice, which is also a version of OpenOffice ported to MacOS X.

The "official" OpenOffice version for the Mac was not adapted to MacOS X very well, which caused various kinds of unpleasantries. As far as I know they are trying to catch up, but NeoOffice still is the better-adapted OpenOffice suite at this time.

MD-90

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:58 am

I installed my copy of Office 2002 on my new computer this summer and I'm happy with it. Why bother having to learn the intricacies of a new version or a similar program?

wn700driver

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:05 am

For my usage, it has been great. Every short or full length story I've sold since '07 has been an ODT. I do like the new 3.0 better, but overall, it has been great. I can't speak for spreadsheets and the like, of course, but I've no problems, even on submitting work.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

afterburner

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 am

I bought Microsoft Office 2007 because I got a very good offer: 75 Australian dollars. It was only applicable to university students and teaching staff. I use it in my laptop computer. For my desktop, I use OpenOffice. For basic typing tasks, it is ok.

ag92

Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 pm

I used both at one time whilst transitioning from Ubuntu to Windows, and I found that after using Office 2007 it got kinda hard for me to adapt to open office however after office stopped working on me I have since used Open Office and I understand that if I change the basics then I can make it work way better then I am now, but I can't really be bothered with that to be frankly honest

If I were transitioning from Office 2003 then I wouldn't mind switching to OO but after Office 2007 I quite like the ribbon interface

Dreadnought

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 5):

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
I have '07 on my work computer, and I can't stand it. I can never find anything I need.

I am what you might call an Office power-user, especially Excel and Access. My initial reaction was similar to yours - the new interface is quite alien compared to what we have been used to for the past 15 years. But work with it, and you will find that it is much much better and more intuitive.

Not to mention 2007's advantages in terms of memory management and capacity. 2007 is much more stable with large files. Excel sheets can have over a million rows, rather than 2003's limit of 65,000 rows.

I can't pass judgement on OpenOffice - I've never used it. But 2007 was the first major improvement in MS Office in well over a decade.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

MOBflyer

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:02 pm

For basic tasks, OpenOffice is a great alternative, especially considering its free. For major things, however, like Database design, OpenOffice falls short relative to Access.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):
But work with it, and you will find that it is much much better and more intuitive.

Indeed. I love it! And here's another Access nut! I especially like the more liberal distribution mechanisms in Access 07.

IH8BY

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Used OpenOffice for two years, and now back on Microsoft Office. The latter feels so much smoother and more polished; however, for the home user, I'm not entirely sure that that feeling is worth £80 for the student and teacher version or a few hundred for the basic version.

I seem to be one of the few who likes Office 2007 - I don't regret changing from OpenOffice. That said, OpenOffice is a pretty impressive product and I'd recommend it for those who would use an office suite occasionally or just for word processing and the odd bit of spreadsheet work. I just found myself back in education and needed something a bit slicker.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

corocks

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:50 am

The biggest problem I have seen is if you are switching files back and forth with other people. The conversion between regular office and open office is terrible, especially Powerpoint. All formats get lost and screwed up. You spend a lot of time reformatting.

sccutler

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:01 am

I avoid the whole issue by using WordPerfect Office, which continues to be a dramatically better tool for text processing than anything MS has conceived. In addition, of course, there is no forced upgrade.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...