Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dougloid

RE: Have Dell Lost Their Mind?

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 49):
Considering that Bob in Bangalore probably speaks better English than Billy Bob in Texas isn't this a backwards step?

You're assuming a lot based on your stereotype
notions of what you think people are like.

Lemme see...you generalized about 300 million americans and 1 billion Indians more or less....where did you say you're from? Where did you get your ideas from?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Triebwerk

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 6):
What they're basically saying is that if you want good customer service then you have to pay extra for it. If you don't want to pay extra fees then you will get poor customer service

Dell is really saying that, if you'd like good customer service, don't buy Dell products. (Though I've been a patron of the company for about three years, and have little to complain about.)

RussianJet

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Quoting Triebwerk (Reply 51):
Dell is really saying that, if you'd like good customer service, don't buy Dell products. (Though I've been a patron of the company for about three years, and have little to complain about.)

Precisely what I've been maintaining. If they offer a 'better' customer service for money then it's a poor indictment of their customer service in general.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Dougloid

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 52):
Precisely what I've been maintaining. If they offer a 'better' customer service for money then it's a poor indictment of their customer service in general.

I think they're trying to squeeze out every penny they can right down to picjing up the ones people drop on the pavement, and someone identified the service department as a profit center. It shows a good understanding of human psychology although as long term, 'build your business' customer oriented strategy it does suck.

Howevah....howevah.

My Dell desktop was bought nearly five years ago and has run about 16 hours a day since then. It has had no mechanical failures in about 28,000 hours and I have never had to call Dell for service. the only repairs I ever made were a more powerful cooling fan and an upgraded power supply, total cost about thirty bucks.

They called me when the warranty ran out and asked if I wanted to buy an extension. I said "No. You built such a good machine I won't need it."

My general opinion is that laptops don't hold up as well because there's too much stuff packed in too tight and inadequately cooled. Plus they get toted around and banged into things. I've got one but it never leaves the house.

Flighty

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 53):
My general opinion is that laptops don't hold up as well because there's too much stuff packed in too tight and inadequately cooled. Plus they get toted around and banged into things. I've got one but it never leaves the house.

Definitely. Laptops all have a day when they quit working. It is sad when that day comes.

But they are getting better. The new Apples appear to be the toughest laptops ever (one piece cast aluminum). This is good because I bent at least 1 laptop a little too much and cracked logic boards. Very sad situation.

Dougloid

Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 54):
But they are getting better. The new Apples appear to be the toughest laptops ever (one piece cast aluminum). This is good because I bent at least 1 laptop a little too much and cracked logic boards. Very sad situation.

Panasonic makes laptops for our military that are ....very rugged....of course they're very expensive too.

moo

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Congratulations, you have just discovered the difference between standard support and premium support - something business buyers have been choosing between for years.

CPDC10-30

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 30):
I don't know...it might be easier to understand Bob from Bangalore

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 49):
Considering that Bob in Bangalore probably speaks better English than Billy Bob in Texas isn't this a backwards step? Maybe some of you don't realise it but English is an official language in India, millions of Indians have English as there first language.

Bob in Bangalore also speaks better english than Cyril in Glasgow. When I reach the Scottish call centre I am tempted to ask to be transferred to India so that I can speak to someone in English  Smile

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 50):
Lemme see...you generalized about 300 million americans and 1 billion Indians more or less....where did you say you're from? Where did you get your ideas from?

Having been in both countries I found it easier to understand the Indian English than most of the english spoken by Southern State Americans.

Plus I was involved in the transfer of NCR's NZ and Australian call centers to India, and know the standard of English spoken by the staff very well.

YWG

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 pm

There is only one atrocity here: Should have bought a Mac!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

Dougloid

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Quoting YWG (Reply 59):
There is only one atrocity here: Should have bought a Mac!

You are in the wrong room. The Klaus Appreciation Society meets down the hall.

Wink