Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcs17
Topic Author

Wow, I'm Kind Of Glad I Didn't Go To Auburn!

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Going to high school in Atlanta, pretty much everyone there listed Auburn University as a "fall-back" option when applying to college. It's not Ivy League, its not Tech or UGA, however I guess it beat other Georgia state schools in prestige (I didn't apply anywhere in Georgia, at the time). I did apply to Auburn simply because it had some sort of aviation management program, I never visited the school, and generally didn't care if I got in or not -- since I probably wasn't going there. I was admitted, along with half my graduating class.

Fast forward six years and change to today. I'm Christmas shopping for my sister in Macy's, and I notice a lot of the rather-athletic girls shopping around me are wearing Auburn letter jackets or Auburn sweats. I think nothing of it, just an Auburn womens sports team probably at some kind of tournament. I continue looking through the clothes and then I hear abruptly, "How much this be?" I spun around, and this Auburn athlete is looking at a 50% off table, and she's showing the tag to her teammate. Her teammate shrugged, and I take a quick glance. The price is $29.99. In my best "trying not to sound condescending" voice, "Uhhh... I think that would be $15."

Look, I'm not good at math, in fact I'm atrocious at it. I took Calculus I at least twice in college and probably ended up with a low C. However, I do consider myself capable enough to round $29.99 up to $30.00 and divide by two. I could even understand her difficulty if it was a 15% off. I've worked retail so I know a lot of people aren't mental giants when it comes to percentages, but to think I came relatively close to attending the same college as that girl made me hang my head in shame.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

flymia

RE: Wow, I'm Kind Of Glad I Didn't Go To Auburn!

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:24 pm

This could be the case at many large schools famous for athletics. Athletes don't need to do as well in school as others to get into the college since sports teams make the schools money. I have two friends at Auburn both are pretty bright and would do this math with no problem. You could even find a basketball or Football player at UCLA or UNC who is not exactly the best suited for college. That's just the way it is. But it does not have much to say about the rest of the kids in the University.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 1):

checkmark 

To put it another way: she's probably as good at math as I am at whatever sport she plays.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArmitageShanks

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:42 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 2):
To put it another way: she's probably as good at math as I am at whatever sport she plays.

So what?

Just because someone isn't good at math or whatever doesn't make them any less of a person that you.

Can you frame a house or weld two completely different metals together? Those jobs are usually taken by non-college graduates yet they are amazingly skilled at what they do.

sccutler

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:54 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):

Can you frame a house or weld two completely different metals together? Those jobs are usually taken by non-college graduates yet they are amazingly skilled at what they do.

Yabut....

...No one in such a skilled trade could ever get by without the ability to use significant math skills, applied on the fly and with consistent accuracy.

JCS did nothing to imply that he was "better" than the athletes, but he did express justifiable concern that college athletes, who are (at least putatively) students, cannot manage the most basic of mathematical computations.

As the bumper sticker says, "Stupid kills... but not enough to help!"
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

MOBflyer

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:19 am

It is entirely unfair to make a judgment of a 24,000 student university based on your limited experience with a few of their girls...

I for one am proud that I will be attending Auburn in the fall, at the nation's only Aviation Management program to have AACSB and AABI accreditation.

You can find idiots everywhere.

jcs17
Topic Author

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 1):
This could be the case at many large schools famous for athletics. Athletes don't need to do as well in school as others to get into the college since sports teams make the schools money. I have two friends at Auburn both are pretty bright and would do this math with no problem. You could even find a basketball or Football player at UCLA or UNC who is not exactly the best suited for college. That's just the way it is. But it does not have much to say about the rest of the kids in the University.

All D-I (and some D-II and D-III) schools ditch standards when it comes to sports recruitment, even Ivy League schools, to a degree. In my opinion, it's an absolute disgrace, and shouldn't ever happen.

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 5):
I for one am proud that I will be attending Auburn in the fall, at the nation's only Aviation Management program to have AACSB and AABI accreditation.

Good for you. I was just saying it doesn't have a great reputation for academics, especially around Atlanta. I went to UND (very much Ivy League  Wink ) and if you're trying to apply for a job outside this awful God-forsaken industry, the reaction is generally, "You went where? Why?"

However, my point was, what kind of dummy can't round 29.99 to 30 and divide by two. The only reason I picked on Auburn is because I happened to run into one of their sports teams, and it was good for an easy laugh... especially because I was admitted there.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mham001

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):

Both of those trades require a fair amount of math skills.

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 2):
So what?

Just because someone isn't good at math or whatever doesn't make them any less of a person that you.

You took my post completely the wrong way.

She may not be good at math. I may not be good at whatever sport she plays. I have no problem with that whatsoever. She's not going to college for math, and I'm not going to college for whatever sport.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MOBflyer

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 6):
I was just saying it doesn't have a great reputation for academics, especially around Atlanta.

The way I took your OP, you were indifferent prior to meeting these yayhoos - and now you feel as though they are a diploma/degree mill - which is completely unbased if you've seen just a few of their tens of thousands of students.

Auburn has a quite a good academic reputation. It's in the top 50 public schools in the nation, top 25 public business schools, and first rate professional programs in architecture, pharmacy, architecture, and engineering.

Gatorman96

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow, it really is a good thing you didn't go to Auburn. We wouldn't want your intelligence level to be affected by these people, since they only exist at Aubrun  Yeah sure

JBirdAV8r

Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:59 pm

Ah and the JCS condescension continues. Where'd you ever get on your high horse?

One friend of mine (an Auburn grad) is an engineer at Boeing working on the International Space Station, and another family friend is a project manager working on the Ares rockets at Marshall...geez, yeah, terrible school...

Although what would I know? They're both from East Pigsknuckle, as your myopic brain sees it, and only went there because they couldn't get into Bob's Technical Community College.

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 9):
Auburn has a quite a good academic reputation. It's in the top 50 public schools in the nation, top 25 public business schools, and first rate professional programs in architecture, pharmacy, architecture, and engineering.

Absolutely. JCS, you must not know anything about academics...this is fairly widely known.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

stlgph

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 pm

how do you even know they're Auburn athletes?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

bagoldex

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Thread starter):
Fast forward six years and change to today. I'm Christmas shopping for my sister in Macy's

What's the matter there killer, can't afford Barneys or do you just hate your sister? Pompous ass.

Dougloid

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Well, somebody over at Auburn doesn't have their thinking cap on because they went and paid top dollar for Gene Chizik and relieved us of what to do with a losing coach. What does that tell you?

Bah. Good riddance.

grumpy 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn