KaiGywer
Topic Author

Stupid Things You Have Done With Your Cell Phone

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

So, I get a text from my girlfriend's daughter yesterday stating that her mom put her phone "in believe it or not the fireplace"... Wow...Just wow... So they get here and I ask what the hell she was thinking. Apparently she was sorting things to burn, got a text from me (hey, no blaming me!) and put her phone down on top of the burn pile. She keeps sorting, putting more stuff on top of the cell phone in the process before finally throwing it all in the fireplace. A few minutes later she starts looking for her phone, and can't find it. Her daughter, being a smartass, says maybe she put it in the fire, and it dawns on her...  rotfl 

After a little poking around with the fire poker, she must have punctured the battery as it explodes in the fireplace  bomb 

Anyways, the end result  faint 

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DocLightning

RE: Stupid Things You Have Done With Your Cell Phone

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 am

I washed mine. And dried it.

It was very clean, but it didn't work very well. I lost all my contacts, too.  Sad

Another time, I was at the pool and my phone took a suicide out of the pocket in my pants that were in my open backpack so that just as I swung it around, the phone sailed through the air and right... into the water. 3 feet of it.

I pulled it out, yanked the battery and SIM card and immediately took it to work (where I was going after I was swimming) and left on top of the coffee maker for 2 hours. Worked fine after that.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:40 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
I pulled it out, yanked the battery and SIM card and immediately took it to work (where I was going after I was swimming) and left on top of the coffee maker for 2 hours. Worked fine after that.

Yup that's the trick for a wet phone. Remove battery immediately and leave to dry, preferably for a couple of days to be sure it's dry

[Edited 2008-12-31 17:41:01]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

flyboyseven

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:49 am

I put mine entirly in my mouth and almost choked on it.

Due to almost tripping, I almost threw it at a B1900C taxiing by at YQQ while I was gliding.
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

stasisLAX

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:50 am

Dunked an almost brand new Razor cellphone in the toilet. It was sitting on a shelf next to the toilet, and when I stood up, I bumped the shelf with with my shoulder and splash....

I bought another cellphone the next morning.  banghead 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Fly2HMO

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:50 am

Two of my old phones fell victims of several 7.62mm rounds flying right through them at 3200fps. I was amazed they actually took 2 direct hits before actually completely dying.

The one phone had several pics of my ex, a few while she was going cowgirl on me, it was mildly relieving to shoot that phone to say the least... and the other was a long lost old nokia I found in a drawer . They worked fine but were old and outdated by then. So they became plinking targets for my Mosin Nagant. Big grin

bok269

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:53 am

I think this guy tops all:

"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

DocLightning

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):

The one phone had several pics of my ex, a few while she was going cowgirl on me,

Those get saved for blackmail.

Gosh, do I have to teach the boy EVERYTHING?  Wink  duck 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

lowrider

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:15 am

I have killed many cellphones through unintentional acts, proving you should never,
1. Use a cellphone and a forklift, you will end up running over it

2. Put your cellphone down on the engine of your car while you are working on it. You may start the engine, forget the phone is there, shut the hood, and cook your phone to death when it falls onto the exhaust manifold and becomes wedged between the pipes for the #2 and #3 cylinders. By the time you smell the plastic it is too late.

3. Toss your cellphone to the other pilot when you are in the plane and he is down on the ramp.

4. Put your cellphone in the cargo pocket on your pants when riding a motocycle. Never did find that one

5. Leave your cellphone anywhere a 3 year old can reach it

There are others, but those are some of the more memorable ones. My phones seem to have an average life expentancy of 9 to 10 months. That is why I always get the cheapest ones I can find.
Proud OOTSK member

DocLightning

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:31 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 6):
I think this guy tops all:

So the thing about an X-ray is that you cannot tell from a single view where a given object is in the axis that is orthogonal to the image.

So because this is a frontal view, that phone could be sitting in front of or behind the patient. Now, to be fair, the orientation is a bit unlikely for sitting in front of or behind. Also, there seems to be a lucency, seemingly of gas density, surrounding the phone. That would be consistent with an anatomical location inside the rectum.

Perhaps this patient got what he was due because he was talking loudly on it while on a bus?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

af773atmsp

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 am

During school we were watching a movie or something, I forgot. I sat on my backpack because it was the only I could sit on besides the floor. After school I check to see if I have any new messages and the screen was cracked. I got a new cell phone (same kind) a couple weeks later.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Phoenix9

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 am

One of my Nokia cell phones back when I used to live on the 16th floor of a building. The phone was in my shirt pocket and when I leaned on the balcony railings...it slipped out and all I could do was see it speeding down right onto the asphalt (time seemed to have slowed down until it hit the ground). Needless to say, hundreds of pieces later, I had to get a new phone.

Another Nokia phone....this time it slipped out of my hand when I tried to take it out of my pocket and off it goes flying on to the road to be run over by a car. Surprisingly it still worked after the incident. The screen was gone and cracked...scratches all over the body but I could still make and receive calls.

I learned my lesson after those two and now I'm much more careful with my phones.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

wn700driver

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:44 am

A certain mechanic, formerly employed at US Airways, who shall remain nameless, destroyed a nokia 5300 by fuel immersion.

There are few sounds worse than the tone of one's own ringer. Coming from inside the fuel tank one has closed, (By way of --no joke-- 300 50in/lbs tri-wing screws and sealed with PRC) It goes without saying that that certain mechanic had to skip his lunch AND stay late to solve the issue.

Word is that cursing could be heard on the other side of the FedEx ramp from us.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:53 am

In March last year while I was washing my car, I had just sent a txt and was putting my phone back in my pocket when it slipped out of my hands and landed in the bucket full of car wash soap. I can remember trying to grab my phone after it slipped out of my hands and I saw it falling towards the water and thinking "oh s***".

The phone was only 2 months old, but on three positive notes (1) I finally had the perfect excuse to get the phone I was really wanting, (2) I sold the water damanged phone for $40 on Trademe (New Zealand's online auction site) and (3) the replacement phone was on sale for $50 less then the RRP for that weekend!
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

DocLightning

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:51 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 13):
I had just sent a txt and was putting my phone back in my pocket

Wait. You have phones in New Zealand? I figured you just wrote little notes and attached them to messenger sheep.

duck 

I once got all the way home from the gym...couldn't find my phone, knew I'd had it when I'd left the gym. Drove back and found it on the ground in the snow in the spot where I'd parked. Another car had driven over it. The snow had cushioned it and it was fine.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

RussianJet

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:03 pm

I've never yet trashed one as the one that was put in the fire, but I did completely ruin one once by dropping it in the toilet. It took a while to convince my phone company's insurance department that they should replace it for free.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

stlgph

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:06 pm

called Adam Hackman.

ick.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

lewis

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Dived in a pool with the mobile in my swimshorts' pocket.

Dived in the sea with the mobile in my swimshorts' pocket.

Washed the salt off me after a boat ride with my mobile in my swimshorts' pocket.

I tend to do that every other year....

rineanna

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47 pm

2008 was my worst ever year for phones. Prior to 2008, I had the same phone for six years (those Sagems last forever!). Then I upgraded to my my first ever flip-phone, which fell victim to the old-reliable phone destroyer....the washing machine. My replacement phone joined me in the sea off Croatia as I slipped off steps on a pier and landed ass-first in the Adriatic. Not impressed. I replaced it with the exact same phone and so far so good! The Sagem's always there as a back up though...

CrimsonNL

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:58 pm

I was having a job interview so I was wearing other clothes then normally, and therefor had my flat moto razor in another pocket then usually. I was walking to a bus stop when I heard it falling, for some reason I never turned around, only to find it missing when I was already in the bus. I never found it again!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Stealthz

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Not a cell phone and not mine but...
Some years ago when I worked for HP we had a letter from a customer regarding his HP-12C financial calculator.

He was clearing leaves from his pool when calc fell from shirt pocket, as he was nearly finished skimming and figured calculator was a write off he left it for the next cleaning session.
Recovered it a few days later and returning to the house threw it on top of heater ready to put in garbage. The next couple of days were unseasonably chilly so space heating system came on, realising he should not leave things on the hot surface he went to move the 12C, too hot to touch he instinctively dropped it on the slate floor, sometme later picking it up to discard he pressed a coupe of buttons and it seemed to work.
At time of writing letter it was providing sterling service.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

GQfluffy

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:35 pm

It's been immersed, had de-ice fluid all over it, ran over with a bag cart, and yet it still works...hardly a scratch on it. Best phone I've ever had.
This isn't where I parked my car...

DFW13L

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 pm

I lost mine yesterday! I have a holster, I guess you call it, where it's in a case that attaches to a clip on your belt. Well the clip broke yesterday at some point when I didn't notice it. I got out of the car, reached for my phone, and felt a clip!

That's not really a good story worthy of this thread. But here's one, though I'll tell it second-hand because I'm not the guy who did this....

He was at a party, and had quite a bit to drink before jumping into the pool, fully clothed. Once in the water, he realized his cell phone was in his pocket. So he got out of the pool, and being a bit more than slightly tipsy, decided the best way to save his phone was to dry it out in the MICROWAVE!

Ka-BOOM!
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

ag92

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Wow, some really interesting stories, the stupidest so far is to play catch, but I am quite good at catching and didn't drop it either.

aero145

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:36 pm

On my 4th phone now - all the others are still intact and working well. That is, I’ve never destroyed a phone.

Still, a few years ago, a girl I know wanted to take my phone for a swim, to check out if it worked underwater. I denied the request but somehow she managed to take it and took it for a swim! It worked underwater but...

...em... after the swim it didn’t work, so I took it apart and let it dry for a few weeks. When it came to life again it wouldn’t vibrate anymore. But a year later it started vibrating again! Big grin

Now it works perfectly, but cannot be used here in BRD, so I’m using another phone.

Silly

Fly2HMO

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):

Oh I definitely thought about it. I did save one of her in her undies though, and made a demotivational poster out of it. Thought I'd spread it all over the internet on those ex-gf revenge sites but I refused because well a)I'm sure she could care less and b) there's nothing demotivating about the picture. I still have to get rid of it though, that was part of my new years resolutions.

Gosh, do I have to teach the boy EVERYTHING?

Might as well  Wink

staralliance38

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I've had a good amount of phone incidents:

-Left it in a life jacket pocket and then capsized

-Left it in pants and washed them

-Threw cell phone in a box I was carrying a box of ferns and is probably somewhere in a landfill by now  Sad
Roar, lion, roar

GQfluffy

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 25):
I still have to get rid of it though, that was part of my new years resolutions.

Get rid of it...to us. Big grin
This isn't where I parked my car...

Phoenix9

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:06 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 27):
Get rid of it...to us

I second that! The sooner the better Big grin
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Fly2HMO

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:32 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 27):
Get rid of it...to us.

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 28):
I second that! The sooner the better

HA! It's a really crappy picture. It's just her blow drying her hair in the bathroom in her undies, rear 3/4 view. But if enough of you insist I might just provide a link to it lol Big grin

jogales

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 am

Haven't destroyed one (yet!) but I have made a pocket call while spotting with my scanner in the same pocket as the phone. Made for a pretty confused person on the other line  Smile
-

greggarious

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:49 am

Fall into my pool with phone in pocket.

Wash jeans with phone in pocket.

Fall into pond with phone in pocket.

Jump into ocean with phone in pocket. (This was the only time that I couldn't save it!)

Drunk dial my ex. (No doubt the stupidest thing I've done with my phone)  Yeah sure

rleiro

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:09 am

My first cell phone was smashed against a wall in a Customer Service Office in Caracas, after they pretended to charge me over $2.000 in calls I didn't make.

My second cell phone ended under a CAT955 Track Loader. When I was checking the oil level of the engine I put the cell on the track. Once done, I just got up in the seat and when I pulled the lever I saw how my phone was crushed... You had to see the face of the salesman when I showed him the remains of it!

My third phone ended in the bottom of a swimming pool in a house in PMV.

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

DocLightning

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:46 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 29):

HA! It's a really crappy picture. It's just her blow drying her hair in the bathroom in her undies, rear 3/4 view. But if enough of you insist I might just provide a link to it lol Big grin

I'm sure she's not bad. I mean, for a girl and all...  Wink
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
I mean, for a girl and all...

Yes she was a goddess, but as hard as you try to make me reconsider, I'm NOT swaying away from girls.   

[Edited 2009-01-02 11:02:03]

Jpax

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm

I used a perfectly working cell phone as a hockey puck on a concrete floor. The front, back, and sides were completely grinded down after a while, but it still worked just fine! I had to end that with a hefty slapshot to the concrete wall. It hit the wall, the battery popped out, and the screen cracked. It still worked after that though. It survived enough trauma so I let it live to see another day...To be fair, I did have plans to buy a new one the next day.

steeler83

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I had a cingular (not AT&T yet) flip phone, I had a dropped call, so I punched the phone after being cut off...

Not wise...

Of course, the viewing screen on the phone was busted as a result of me punching it...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

DocLightning

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 34):

Yes she was a goddess, but as hard as you try to make me reconsider, I'm NOT swaying away from girls.

I trust nothing that can bleed for five days without dying.

duck 

I took my iPhone out of its protective cocoon for NYE so that it would fit better in my trousers. I now can't find the cocoon. And I dropped the phone last night. On a steep hill in SF. It bounced. Several times. Down the hill.  eek  Thank god it's only scratched.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):

ROFL! Good point, touché.  bigthumbsup 

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:39 am

Jumped into a pond with my mom's phone.
And I left my iPhone in the restroom the other day at work, but someone nicely returned it to me.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

QFA380

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:34 am

This is a stupid one of myself. The other night I had my phone plugged in and left the room for about half an hour. I came back to chck if I had any messages, upon opening it up the phone was off. I tried to turn it back on and it started halfway and then died, multiple times. After 15 minutes of trying I came to the conclusion my phone must be dead. This was at 2 in the morning so I decided I'd worry about it in the morning. I did not sleep at all that night as the prospects of fixing it within a few days looked grim at best.

When I finally got up at around 10, I came back into my room and saw that the charger was unplugged. I plugged it in, low and behold the phone came back on. The feeling of stupidity in myself was so immense I could not look at myself in the mirror without shaking my head.

Some of the scariest 8 hours of my life....

Currently though due to a lack of cell phone reception where I am holed up, I have not sent a text message or anything in about 30 hours, only 10 more until I return to the normality of 300 texts a day.

I had one of those of an ex-girlfriend....

I intended to give it to some people once school resumed on Monday.

Being the idiot that I am I told someone, who found the knowledge of it offensive. They decided it would be wise to tell my co ordinator who promptly took my phone and made me delete it. I am still incredibly pissed and am not talking to any of the 5 suspects.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):

The girl in the aforementioned picture lasted 10 once, how that is possible I'm not sure.