Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

safetyDemo
Topic Author

Unhappy With AT&T Wireless ... Are You?

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:06 am

Hello All,

I have been with AT&T Wireless for several years now, I came to them from Cingular.

I just found out tonight they have changed my rate plan on me and I am FAR from happy. My plan with Cingular was 59.99/mo for 900 minutes. I found out today (while viewing my bill online) that my plan is now 60.00/mo for 700 minutes.

I did not receive any prior notification from them that I am aware of - and upon further investigation, I found at least one other provider that still offers 900 minutes for $59.99.

I bought the iPhone in October and unfortunately my contract with AT&T extended two years from that date. Is there anyway to get out of this considering they changed my plan on me?

-safetyDemo
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

MOBflyer

RE: Unhappy With AT&T Wireless ... Are You?

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 am

I am too a grandfathered in AT&T customer. Originally with Suncom Wireless which became something which became part of Cingular which became part of AT&T.

I have been very pleased with my service, especially my new Blackberry.

--------------

A contract, however, goes two ways. You signed a contract to pay AT&T XX dollars per month for two years in exchange for some plan. They can't change the terms without your consent. Unless of course there was a provision in the contract that in fact did allow them to do that.

jcs17

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:08 am

I plan on switching to AT&T Wireless once my contract expires with Verizon. Not because I've heard rave reviews about AT&T, far from it, I just want a stupid iPhone. Verizon has great service throughout the US and Canada (through Telus). CDMA, in the future, is a dinosaur of epic proportions. Within two to three years, I believe that CDMA will be considered a network for rural areas, as more and more GSM antennas come online in urban areas.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mir

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):
I just want a stupid iPhone.

They can be cracked to other providers. A friend of mine uses one on T-Mobile.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Tugger

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:30 am

I've had at&t for 5 years now, it was originally AT&T Wireless, became Cingular, and it's... what.... at&t wireless (again)? Never had a big problem with them but have had a few drop outs and such. And I haven't heard much to convince me that any one service is truly better than another.

Quoting SafetyDemo (Thread starter):
bought the iPhone in October and unfortunately my contract with AT&T extended two years from that date.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):
I plan on switching to AT&T Wireless once my contract expires with Verizon.

I despise the "two year contract" crap that everyone seems to be happy signing up for. I think that a service provider should always earn customers and continued loyalty based on the quality of the service not by being locked in by a contract. If I like the service then I'll keep using it.

People end up trapping themselves into one carrier because they "get free phones" if they sign the contract. Then in a year or so they want a new phone or different coverage and so sign a new contact for another two years and are stuck. I say buy the dang phone and then just get a month to month fee, they still can't change your terms because you are still signing onto have a specific type of service and they have to provide it if you pay.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

stasisLAX

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:43 am

AT&T Wireless has a terrible network here in Long Beach and in the metro Phoenix area, from my personal experience. I had never had so many dropped calls in my entire "cellular" life.

So I switched about a year or so ago to Verizon because they supposedly had a much better network - which is not true, at least here...
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

LASoctoberB6

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 am

I have been with AT&T Wireless for several years now, I came to them from Cingular.

In my opinion, Cingular had way better service..

I just found out tonight they have changed my rate plan on me and I am FAR from happy. My plan with Cingular was 59.99/mo for 900 minutes. I found out today (while viewing my bill online) that my plan is now 60.00/mo for 700 minutes.

I recently got the Samsung Eternity (and stupidly returned it..) -great phone. I wasn't with my Ma at the time when she purchased the phone for me, but while she was at the phone store, she told the agent that she wanted the same plan I had before (Unlimited Text/Internet) but never put it on. So, my Ma goes to pay her phone bill over the phone and the Rep says our bill is upwards of $600. You can guess why... However, they did (or at least I hope..) some refund thing..

I bought the iPhone in October and unfortunately my contract with AT&T extended two years from that date. Is there anyway to get out of this considering they changed my plan on me?

Here's the exit plan for a contract that was signed over 30 days prior; You will have to pay $175 if you want out. Had it been within 30 days, it would have been free or $30 if the phone had any scratches or nicks in it...
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

UAXDXer

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:06 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
They can be cracked to other providers. A friend of mine uses one on T-Mobile.

Unfortunately with the new generation iphones Apple and AT&T made it a lot harder to do this. Now you have to activate the phone at the time of purchase, no more online sales of the iPhone. So now if you want to use you iPhone on another carrier you have to get it used or thru a third party some how.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

RussianJet

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):
I just want a stupid iPhone

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 7):
Unfortunately with the new generation iphones Apple and AT&T made it a lot harder to do this

We have the same ridiculous exclusivity deals with the iPhone in the UK. I don't care how good the phone is, and I do like it, because as long as they are limiting my choice of network provider or trying to push me onto one network or another then neither the manufacturer nor the provider concerned will ever see my custom. I hate that kind of thing.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

QXatFAT

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:11 pm

I had AT&T until today. Today I switched over to Verizon. My parents still have the family plan though.

Pros about AT&T:
Great phones

Cons about AT&T
Those suckers lock you in for a new contract constantly! Each individual phone is under a contract now instead of the whole family plan. Now that is lame!

With your particular situation, you MUST pay a different rate and plan for the iPhone. It is required to have the data plan if you purchase the iPhone in a AT&T store. Your contract does not need to be signed either. If you do anything over the phone or internet, there is no where to sign. You simply give them the last four digits of your SS and there you have it, new contract. ALWAYS do in person. They can not change your plan without you knowing.

For the other things going on in here, getting a cracked iPhone is easy...eBay!

Is there anyway to get out of this considering they changed my plan on me?

If you got the evidence that you did not sign anything if you did your deal in store, throw the stink at the manager. If he/she does not bite, call. Anytime someone throws a stink, things happen with AT&T. They screw up a lot.
Don't Tread On Me!

RGElectra80

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 pm

You're getting hosed, dude. I went to check my plan online and it's still the same price.

I was also grandfathered from the Cingular days, I joined it because I had had it with Sprint some 3-4 years ago. While I have not had any major service problems, I hated their Blackberry service for the brief period I had one. I still experience the occasional dropped call and undelivered text messages, both inbound and outgoing.

I am eligible for an upgrade in March but I'm not sure I want to commit for another two years.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

casinterest

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Not sure what happened to you, but you might want to go check it out with the store.

I just got my iphone and plan on Saturday, and it is the 59.99+30 dollar data plan for 900 minutes.
Where ever you go, there you are.

safetyDemo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 11):
I just got my iphone and plan on Saturday, and it is the 59.99+30 dollar data plan for 900 minutes.

Thanks all for the replies. Today I will be speaking with the AT&T store I use and also the Verizon store most of my family uses.

When I bought my iPhone I didn't mind signing another two years with AT&T because I have never had a problem with them and have always enjoyed their service and network. This, however, has severel upset me. I don't understand how or why they changed my plan. I initially thought it might have happened when I bought my iPhone, but they pro-rated me out of my 900 plan and into my 700 plan over a month after I purchased that phone.

I do know about the 175 fee to cancel - and I'm that upset with AT&T that I would very happily pay it. However, I have two numbers on my account - and its 175 PER NUMBER! But I am ALMOST that mad with AT&T that I'd pay the 350 to get out of this contract. I use 900 minutes a month, legitimately, and each additional minute over 700 (200 minutes a month!) would cost a LOT of money in a short amount of time.

-safetyDemo

CO7e7

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:44 pm

I have been with AT&T Wireless for several years now, I came to them from Cingular

Same here... my contract expires in 11 days.... so i'm debating switching over to Verizon or staying with AT&T....

Cingular was A LOT better than the current AT&T... in my opinion.

Tugger

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Does anyone here just buy the phone and then sign up for a plan? If not, why not? Also are European and Asia cellular carrier plans different or do they also have the 2 year plan?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

safetyDemo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm

I was also much happier with Cingular. I wasn't unhappy with AT&T until yesterday, but I do miss Cingular.

I spoke to the manager of the AT&T store I use at home. In November I added a line to my plan. Apparently, this bumped me to a Family Plan of 700 minutes a month for 60 dollars. All of this would have been fine - if they had told me when I added the line that I would be losing minutes and changing rate plans. However, no one informed me of this when I added the line and I didn't find out until I went 70 dollars over my minutes. I have always legitimately used 900 minutes a month.

The reason I added the second line is so I could talk (for free) with my best friend who is on Verizon. Being as unhappy as I am with AT&T, I went ahead and cancelled both phone numbers with them and switched to Verizon this morning. This negates the need for a second phone line (I'll talk free with my best friend) and it also returns me to all of the features and minutes I had before on my old plan with AT&T.

The manager at the Verizon store was INCREDIBLY helpful, pulled a couple deals out of his pocket and got me all set up - I am very satisfied.

AT&T never apologized to me for not informing me that my plan was changing, nor did they apologize when I told them I was choosing to leave.

Had they told me up front when I added the second line I'd be changing from 900 to 700 minutes, I wouldn't be upset about it. I don't appreciate finding out about it after I spend an additional 70 dollars I wasn't expecting to spend.

-safetyDemo

PS - Call me crazy but I'm happy to see my iPhone go. I hated that thing and couldn't stand having to charge it at least once a day, every day! Hello to my new Blackberry Pearl. (Touchscreen just isn't for me...)

RussianJet

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 14):
Does anyone here just buy the phone and then sign up for a plan? If not, why not? Also are European and Asia cellular carrier plans different or do they also have the 2 year plan?

Tugg

Having just yesterday agreed a phone upgrade with my provider I have entered into a new 18 month contract. 12 month contracts used to be more the norm here, but now 18 months is more usual in many cases.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

seb146

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:12 am

I, too, have had AT&T for years, starting back in the day as AT&T, then to Cingular, then back to AT&T. I have never had any major issue with them. Even when I bought a new phone last year. I bought the Pantech Duo. They explained to me that I had to go on a different pricing plan because my the new phone was classified differently. So, I had to choose a data/voice package as opposed to a voice only package. I was told this is the same as if I had purchased a Blackberry or an iPhone; I would have had to switch from voice only to voice/data plan. I am very happy with the service, and very happy with the connections. I also have a data card for connecting the desk top computer to the internet. Except for the ice/snow storm last week, it has worked perfectly both here in PDX and in SEA.

--------------

To the OP: One thing I wonder is: did you do this transaction online? If so, that is when you agreed to the contract extention and change. It is in the fine print.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

safetyDemo
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 17):
To the OP: One thing I wonder is: did you do this transaction online? If so, that is when you agreed to the contract extention and change. It is in the fine print.

I did this transaction face-to-face in an AT&T store. I walked in, told the person I wanted to add a line, and they literally took the phone we reactivated, asked us what area code we wanted for the number, and told me we were all set to go. Never did he mention the fact I'd be changing to a different plan.

I wouldn't have been angry if he had explained to me up front that I was going from an Individual plan to a Family plan. I'm angry because I was never told that you can't add a line to an Individual plan (I've never done this before) and never informed my plan would be changing. I found out when I saw an extremely high phone bill charge on my bank statement and went and looked at my bill online.

-safetyDemo

Tugger

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting SafetyDemo (Reply 18):
I did this transaction face-to-face in an AT&T store. I walked in, told the person I wanted to add a line, and they literally took the phone we reactivated, asked us what area code we wanted for the number, and told me we were all set to go. Never did he mention the fact I'd be changing to a different plan.

I wouldn't have been angry if he had explained to me up front that I was going from an Individual plan to a Family plan. I'm angry because I was never told that you can't add a line to an Individual plan (I've never done this before) and never informed my plan would be changing. I found out when I saw an extremely high phone bill charge on my bank statement and went and looked at my bill online.

You should be able to get them to give you a one time credit to cover the overage cost that you charged due to the reduced minutes. They often allow for things like this as long as you are willing to sign up to the higher cost of the family plan. Now it may also be a pain in the a$$, and you may have to talk to a few people and make the same call a few times (or they may just do it the first time, I doubt it though) but if you persistently explain that some reduced you plan minutes without telling you and as proof they can look at your "overage" that you were billed for (you would not have used the minutes if you knew, why would you when it would cost soo much?).

I've had billing challenges with at&t before and every time I have gotten what I wanted, normally what I requested, and never for significantly less. Though sometimes it has taken two or more calls and speaking with a manager, and another manager. Get peoples names, note when else you have called on it, do not raise your voice (you can and should be be mad but always state that you are mad at the situation not the person), be persistent, and know what you will accept as a solution.

Good luck.

Tugg