Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keesje

RE: Ford Debuts 2010 Mustang Shelby GT500

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 44):
As for the car in your photo, I'd love to see your navigate around the Midwestern US during winter in that thing.

Some people need terrain capable cars. But a small minority. I remember when i had a very light car 20 yrs ago, it was the best in these conditions, because wheel pressure was low and 1 additional guy could push me out.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 45):
Quoting Keesje (Reply 41):
I think we have the SUV / Trucks by the balls here. Monsters from VW (Touareg), BMW X cars and even Porsches Cayenne, Audi and Volvo's.

So where's the words of condemnation? Live by your own rule, Keez.

Hereby I fully and utterly officialy condemn the Volkswagen Touareg, the terrible BMW X series, the totally unneccessary BMW SUV and everything on the road build in europe that has more then say 200 shp.

Thats more then enough to pull a boat or caravan etc uphill twice a yr. If not about 100 shp is more then enough to drive to fast with a family car. I think we should put in law that every car in Europe has their gaz millage / pollution level clearly mentioned on the back of his car. No need for privacy here.

BTW the above mentioned brands in Europe have already moved. They invested billions in clean technology over the last decade and are introducing it. Publicly sales are stimulated
by favorable write off period, tax rates etc. And high fuel prices helped.

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 44):
PS, I'll have your rough wing sizing parameters for your turboprops when I return to my work computer in a week. Pls refer to Tech/Ops. Have a nice day.

Thnx I'll do an update!
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Dougloid

Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 50):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 45):
I think we have the SUV / Trucks by the balls here. Monsters from VW (Touareg), BMW X cars and even Porsches Cayenne, Audi and Volvo's.

So where's the words of condemnation? Live by your own rule, Keez.

Hereby I fully and utterly officialy condemn the Volkswagen Touareg, the terrible BMW X series, the totally unneccessary BMW SUV and everything on the road build in europe that has more then say 200 shp

My hat's off to you, sir.

Some people need terrain capable cars. But a small minority. I remember when i had a very light car 20 yrs ago, it was the best in these conditions, because wheel pressure was low and 1 additional guy could push me out.

I'll go you one better. My 1957 Morris Minor sedan had such tall gearing and big tires that if you got stuck in the snow you could put it in first gear, let out the clutch, idle it up with the choke, get out, and push it out of the snow yourself.

It was a good car.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Boeing4ever

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm

It's a little different hear. And it's not necessarily SUV's either. I drive a Toyota Camry...large car by European standards. I use it both for commuting around Chicago and parts of Indiana, but also for long trips. While Chicago is "somewhere" I have to drive through a lot of "nowhere" to get "somewhere else". And while northern states are good about snow removal, something with enough power and decent traction is a plus in "border states" that take a "religious approach" to snow removal: "God put it there, God will take it away."

Not just that. I sought decent capacity since I still move around a lot, along with good fuel efficiency. Thus far I'm pleased with the car, if not for some mechanical quirks. A small car simply cannot perform the mission. In fact, browsing through a lot of the typical European vehicles, a lot of them won't cut it.

As for this car, niche cars, unlike planes, and swallowed up by collectors. Collectors can do whatever they want with their (clearly) ample funds. Might as well fork it over to Ford. Considering recent developments such as the Ford Fusion hybrid, Ford is on of the leaders in fuel efficient vehicles, even if perceptions still see only the F150. It is definately leader of the pack when compared to the Big Three.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

dxing

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 26):
If you know your automotive history you will remember that AMC built the AMX for homologation

My first car, a 1969 AMC AMX with a Ford 390 and a Hurst shift in it. Oh to be 17 with a muscle car again!

Most have less the 100 SHP and most females prefer stylish light french, german and italian city cars. Japanese cars too.

If you don't own any land or don't do your own home repair/remodeling then those cars would be fine. But lets see you get a new front door or large appliance into one of them. I have friends who only believe in matchboxs like you do and I constantly get the "hey what are you doing on Saturday?" calls from them.

Thats more then enough to pull a boat or caravan etc uphill twice a yr.

If you row the boat or the trailer is made for two. BTW, that's not snow those cars are driving on.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

keesje

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 53):
If you don't own any land or don't do your own home repair/remodeling then those cars would be fine. But lets see you get a new front door or large appliance into one of them. I have friends who only believe in matchboxs like you do and I constantly get the "hey what are you doing on Saturday?" calls from them.

Well, I have a small innovation for you its called "trekhaak" here. http://www.carperfection.nl/231/images/Home/Trekhaak.jpg. For $25 an afternoon I get a Utility Trailer around the corner that fits more then any pickup truck & for the rest of my 99.9% car use, I burn less have more comfort speed etc.

I think that if only people that really need a truck / SUV bought them, the manufacturers would be in serious trouble immediately. It for the most part its a live style / neighbours / family / self esteem thing.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

dxing

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Quoting Keesje (Reply 54):
For $25 an afternoon I get a Utility Trailer around the corner that fits more then any pickup truck & for the rest of my 99.9% car use, I burn less have more comfort speed etc.

Yep, that option is there, so it the cost of repair for overloading your transmission and suspension. No way you can load that trailer with dirt, a full pallet of sod, or a half pallet of concrete and pull it around without straining the auto's workings. Same with a load of wood, pipe, or any other extra long or extra wide item. My wife has a car, there are just simply too many uses for the truck for that car to replace it. And that doesn't begin to cover the help I give my neighbors.

If I lived in the Netherlands I probably wouldn't need a truck as from what I have seen in the ubran areas of that country, you have a house but next to no land. Those folks that did have land, had a small pick up truck to boot. I would skip the judgement part about who needs a truck and who doesn't till you've spent some time in a country as spread out as ours.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Dougloid

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 53):
My first car, a 1969 AMC AMX with a Ford 390 and a Hurst shift in it. Oh to be 17 with a muscle car again!

Was that a Ford 390 or the American Motors 390? Same CID, different motor. Hotrodding AMC products has always been a challenge.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn