Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moo

RE: Battlestar Galactica: Final Episodes

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 99):
"Triple the fleets jump capacity" How? Longer range? More frequent jumps?

I understand that it's a upgrade and that it's 3 X "better" but what I'm asking is "what's the upgrade"

At this point in time I think you are asking questions which have both been answered previously in the series (the Cylons superior jump capability has been discussed several times, directly and indirectly) and doesn't particularly matter in the slightest to the story line.

zanl188
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 100):
At this point in time I think you are asking questions which have both been answered previously in the series (the Cylons superior jump capability has been discussed several times, directly and indirectly) and doesn't particularly matter in the slightest to the story line.

Neither the nature of the upgrade or, and perhaps more importantly, the military necessity has been explained. It's just the dramatic basis of the arc..... No need to explain Adamas motivation I take it...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Tugger

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 101):
Neither the nature of the upgrade or, and perhaps more importantly, the military necessity has been explained. It's just the dramatic basis of the arc..... No need to explain Adamas motivation I take it...

The upgrades will improve the jump capability such that they we at least match, and no longer be inferior to, their enemy that is pursuing them with the intent to destroy them all.

Seems like good motivation. And the "technical's" (what the hell, it is science fiction, there is no reality here. I mean do we have any clue as to how the engines really work, and how they go or how much they exceed light speed?) are unnecessary beyond the fact that the improves the engines to be equal to the Cylons.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

moo

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 101):

They have been explained within the story as much as required, the fact that you do not accept that explanation and require a more indepth one does not change that.

Sometimes you just cannot get things laid out in black and white just because you want them...

c172akula

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Battlestar refuses to do the 'technobabble' thing, so just accept the reasoning they state and enjoy the excellent storytelling.

Here is a quick reason why they have FTL's but still appear to drive around in Hummer's and use prosthetic legs and 20th century medicine. Because when Ron Moore created the show he wanted to ground most of it in a setting that we as the audience would be familiar with.

Klaus

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 pm

They've obviously tried to make identification of the audience with the story as easy as possible while keeping the science fiction aspect just as far as necessary. Of course it helped to keep production cost down as well, but they could have departed from contemporary american circumstances to a larger degree. It just made more sense this way.

I still found it funny that Galactica's FTL drive basically appears to be a steam engine! I'm sure the cylons have at least graduated to diesel motors by comparison...! Big grin

Springbok747

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:56 am

WTF? 13 Cylon models? So there is another cylon?
So Daniel Greystone was #7? Damn I'm so confused now! What if he is Starbuck's father?

Ellen seems to believe in the One True God, Cavil is all bitchy..wow. That Cavil line is a miserable frak. They need to be boxed permanently. And another big what the frack - they're going to rebuild the resurrection hub?

Cavil played everyone - including the final five..WOW! Too much info for one episode...have to see this one again.
אני תומך בישראל

comorin

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:08 am

WOW! is right! What a great episode - a super 'Reveal' !!

Not to detract, but even today the word 'subroutine' is a little passe....

I want to move to a parallel universe where they have 20 more episodes of this great show!

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:12 am

So the 5 made the Cylon 8... and Ellen Tigh is basically mother to the cylon skinjobs... ok thats one frack of a curve.

I always wondered why we never saw a #7... i mean we had sixes... and eights... but no sevens... now we know... sort of... and now its Daniel... mathematical equilibrium is restored we can all rejoice.

And now, look at this...

13 tribes
13 colonies
13 cylons

Do we see a pattern?

And now Boomer is changing sides to save "Mother" too no less! So now the Cylons are balanced again... question is, how many are left... and what is this "colony"?

and Cavil's name is John... oh how appropriate!

Other news: Anders mind is AWOL... awww
Galactica is falling apart at the seams, literally
Starbuck is still ?
Lee is the President to be... soon?

and it looks like Cylon tech is gonna be used in the fleet regardless...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

comorin

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:20 am

So what draws us all to this thread? We're perfect strangers, and if we were all seated in the same cabin on a flight we might appear to have little in common. But this silly show on TV has drawn us together, brothers! Perhaps we are the Final whatever now, and it's not really a TV show?

I gotta go to bed now....

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:22 am

oh one more thing...

Daniel... which Daniel...

I doubt it's Greystone myself... though he might of been named Daniel as some sort of homage to him... and im starting to think its Bulldog... Daniel Novacek... would fit wouldn't it?
John/Cavil/One sent him to the colonies to cause the incident as an excuse to cause the holocaust... though would the Cylons really of cared, who knows, might just of been the easiest way to guarantee that the 6s and 8s would go along with it?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Springbok747

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:06 am

Ok wow having watched the episode again..several questions arise:

What is the 'colony' that Cavil speaks to Ellen about?
Now that Sam is a vegetable - so even if all the Five get together - they still can't build the resurrection hub?
When the Final Five resurrected from the Earth holocaust, how did they know where to go to find the 12 Colonies? My recollection is the 12 tribes leaving Kobol didn't have a specific destination in mind, so there shouldn't have been any clues.

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 110):
Daniel... which Daniel...

Just listened to the pod cast with Ron Moore and he did say as for "Daniel" # 7 that he has significance in the upcoming Caprica series...I'm thinking Daniel is a created model (like the Final Five) of Daniel Graystone who created the first cylon and to help add something to spark interest in the new series.

What else....

Chief is back...yes!
Tigh gets all emotional about being a dad with 6, talking about getting a crib and other baby stuff!!
The look on Adama's face when he sees the crack in his quarters - WOW!

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 108):
Ellen Tigh is basically mother to the cylon skinjobs

Ellen eating that apple on the baseship - is that supposed to be like Eve (you know like Adam and Eve) signifying she is the 'mother' of everything? Wow, interesting!
אני תומך בישראל

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:02 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 102):
The upgrades will improve the jump capability such that they we at least match, and no longer be inferior to, their enemy that is pursuing them with the intent to destroy them all.

Quoting Moo (Reply 103):
They have been explained within the story as much as required, the fact that you do not accept that explanation and require a more indepth one does not change that.

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 104):
Battlestar refuses to do the 'technobabble' thing, so just accept the reasoning they state and enjoy the excellent storytelling.

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 104):

The problem is that the fleet was in mutiny because of the upgrade and the Cylon techs sent to do it. Aren't you curious why all of sudden it's no longer an issue? Zarek & Gaeta only took advantage of the situation created by the upgrade - they didn't create it, Adama did. The Fleet's happy that Zarek/Gaeta and the Quorum have been executed? yeah right

For some reason it was important then, but now it's not.... In fact Galactica can't jump at all now.

Either there's more to the story or it's a poor excuse to do a mutiny arc

Quoting Comorin (Reply 107):
Not to detract, but even today the word 'subroutine' is a little passe....

Well John is a SkinJob v1.0... sort of a 5.25 floppy in a usb thumbdrive world.

Do we see a pattern?

"They have a plan"

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 111):
Chief is back...yes!

Ugh...

I see "PC" is assisting Doc Cottle in the O.R. Will "Mac" show up on a basestar? Might explain why Sam is now crashed/braindead...  Smile

comorin

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 112):
I see "PC" is assisting Doc Cottle in the O.R. Will "Mac" show up on a basestar? Might explain why Sam is now crashed/braindead... Smile

Yeah, I was really taken aback when PC showed up out of nowhere! It was even wierder than hearing "All Along..."

I have a feeling that Sam will 'come back' somehow.

Ellen's biting the Apple reminded me of Snow White biting into poisoned fruit...

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 113):
Yeah, I was really taken aback when PC showed up out of nowhere!

I'm afraid the actor who plays PC, John Hodgman, is going to be pretty well typecast by that series of commercials....

I kept waiting for him to say "...and I'm a PC".  Smile

Bramble

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 106):
WOW! Too much info for one episode...have to see this one again.

and what is this "colony"?

Exactly....will have to watch again as I missed the 'colony' reference.

comorin

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 pm

TGIF!!!

8pm - 'The Summer Glau Chronicles' - oops , I mean 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'
9pm - 'Dollhouse'
10 pm - 'Battlestar Galactica'

Life is good  Smile

Springbok747

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 116):
8pm - 'The Summer Glau Chronicles' - oops , I mean 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'
9pm - 'Dollhouse'
10 pm - 'Battlestar Galactica'

You people up there in North America are so lucky. I have to get all the above shows off the net here. Our TV here is full of crap  Sad
אני תומך בישראל

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:00 am

ok so...

this weeks spoilers...

Ellen Tigh is still a bitch
Baltar now has his own little army
Six's baby is dead
and Anders brain is no longer AWOL

Honestly not as much as i hoped for this episode... next week though looks like we MIGHT get some answers about Starbuck?

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 118):
Ellen Tigh is still a bitch
Baltar now has his own little army
Six's baby is dead
and Anders brain is no longer AWOL

...and Boomer is at home... in the brig...

Ellen didn't waste anytime getting back to her old self did she?

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:37 am

and oh frack i just thought of something...

I don't think Boomer has switched sides... I think she's leading the others straight to the fleet.

Either that or her undying love for Tyrell... nah...

Also is it just me or is Six really hot as a "Rosie the Riveter"?

Springbok747

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:19 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 120):
I don't think Boomer has switched sides... I think she's leading the others straight to the fleet.

Thats what I thought too. Wow...Ellen is still a bitch.

Some thoughts on the cylon goo. The trailer for next week's episode showed a clip of Galactica exploding (from the flight pods)? I'm guessing that the end game here is that even with the cylon goo Galactica is done. The last military vessel of the colonial fleet isn't space worthy anymore. Does that leave the basestar as their only defense?

They should have held on to Pegasus and sacrificed Galactica in "Exodus". Would have made more sense, but the show is called BSG. Oh well.

And what the hell is wrong with Adama? He has just become a wandering drunk?! Crazy!
Overall..not a great episode.
אני תומך בישראל

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 121):
Overall..not a great episode.

Agreed but with Capricas baby dead the ep does establish the need for humans & cylons to "get along" - unless of course the 5 decide to rebuild the resurrection hub.....

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 120):
I think she's leading the others straight to the fleet.

The others probably know where the fleet is just like Boomer did... makes me wonder why Adama did not jump the rest of the fleet (less broken Galactica) or at least assume a defensive posture.

comorin

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 117):
You people up there in North America are so lucky. I have to get all the above shows off the net here. Our TV here is full of crap

Well, at least you're not shivering out there!  raincloud 

I was not pleased with the last episode. Every now and then the show lurches into Soap Opera land, and last night was a bit excessive. Could've been an episode of "The Edge of Night" for all I care...

It's nice to see Boomer again, she was such an important part of the early episodes, I do hope she'll get more of a speaking role!

So after it's all over, which character will you remember most? Who was the best actor in the series?

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 123):
Who was the best actor in the series?

Edward James "Give me my check! Gracias" Olmos

Springbok747

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 124):
Who was the best actor in the series?

Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan. Even though the last episode was too much like a soap-opera, the chemistry between Adama and Tigh is evident. They're great actors and bring so much to the role.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 122):
Adama did not jump the rest of the fleet (less broken Galactica) or at least assume a defensive posture.

Adama seems to have given up. He has accepted the fact that the cylons are now part of everything - they are part of the fleet, he can see them everywhere on Galactica - even Galactica has become part cylon. Interesting that Baltar of all people convinces Adama that he is the last "human resistance" and gets weapons! Hmm..wonder how that will play out. Only 4 episodes to go, and a lot of unanswered questions:

1. Who or what is Kara? (maybe the next episode will answer this one)
2. Who or what is Head Six and why has she started appearing again?

I would not have called this episode, "Deadlock". I would have called it:

"Head Again"
- Baltar gets Head 6 back
- Baltar heads up his nymph squad again
- Saul and Ellen do their wrinkly horizontal thing within the first 5 minutes of the show
- Anders returns back to his brain in the last moments of the show
- Ellen is out of her mind
- Adama will be at his head, spewing his guts if he continues drinking, if he hasn't already lost his head for giving Baltar guns

However, I did like the scene in which Roslin and Adama watch a 6 put photos of their kindred on the wall of the honoured dead. Awesome. Sets up some good drama.
אני תומך בישראל

Lumberton

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Could someone please post the link to the last episode on the web? Missed it. Much obliged.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

comorin

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 pm

My humble opinion:

I think Olmos is the center that holds the show together. In the early episodes, it's hard to forget Tricia Helfer's role. After that, I was touched by the heart and passion that Grace Park brought to her role. I think Katee Sackoff did an amazing job as Starbuck too. In the end, I will always remember the team of Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan, as Adama and Tigh, for masterful acting.

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:05 am

alllrighty then...

yes spoilers...

ok so...

Boomer is:
A kidnapper
A bitch
and truly is a traitor...

Starbuck... is a hybrid? Daddy= Daniel/7?! But then WTF is the body on earth?!

and Tyrol is an idiot... Boomer broke his heart TWICE already... WTF was he thinking?!

jcs17

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 am

I'll let Ogre tell you about my feelings towards Sci-Fi garbage:

NERRRDDDSSS!!!

Wink
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Springbok747

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 am

Great episode...much much better than the last one! What the frack is right...wow! Boomer is a total bitch!

Tyrol is such an idiot. He knows what she is capable of, and he knew that she sided with the 1s. He has made some really dumb choices ever since he found out he was a cylon.

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 128):
Starbuck... is a hybrid? Daddy= Daniel/7?! But then WTF is the body on earth?!

She could have resurrected on Earth? I have a feeling the Earth they found is not the real 'Earth'..there has to be another explanation.

What I did not understand was - Is the blond Cylon 6 that asked for Boomer's extradition Caprica Six? If so, why is she not mourning the loss of her child...or has she moved on so quickly? I thought if anyone had a motive for taking Hera it was Caprica six- now she has lost the baby and Tigh.
Have to see this one again. Can't imagine how they are gonna end this in 3 episodes!

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 129):
Sci-Fi garbage

Go away please. This is not the usual SciFi garbage  Wink
אני תומך בישראל

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:26 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 130):
Tyrol is such an idiot.

No kidding! Why doesn't this effin' guy airlock himself already and put himself out of our misery?

Just SO sick of his ass...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 131):
Why doesn't this effin' guy airlock himself already and put himself out of our misery?

Adama, the President, and Lee should have known from the moment Tyrol said "You're gonna kill her?" that Tyrol was up to no good... especially Adama..

Hera is getting big... too big for that box....

Starbuck, Tyrol, and Boomer all "projecting" is curious... Tyrol doing it by himself at the end - is he becoming more cylon as he goes?

Feldercarb Toothpaste? Yuck

[Edited 2009-02-28 10:06:02]

comorin

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Musical cues... are we going 'Close Encounters' here?

I'm still rooting for a '2001' style ending...a supernova tour would be very nice, thank you!

The Five don't seem to be at the top of their form - this is the team that built the Resurrection Ship? Reduced to walking around wringing their hands?

The only bright note seems to be that we are finally done with Roslin (and her glasses).

Nevertheless, only 3 episodes left of the best TV around...

jm017

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 133):
The only bright note seems to be that we are finally done with Roslin (and her glasses).

What do you mean?
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

comorin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 134):

What do you mean?

In the last episode someone feels her carotid artery (neck) for a pulse and it looked like she died. I didn't watch clips from next week's episode so I could be wrong. She is a character type I dislike so I will be happy to see her go.

jm017

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:39 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 135):
In the last episode someone feels her carotid artery (neck) for a pulse and it looked like she died. I didn't watch clips from next week's episode so I could be wrong. She is a character type I dislike so I will be happy to see her go.

Woa....I completely missed that. I have to go watch that episode again (God bless DVR....  Smile)
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

comorin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:01 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 136):
Quoting Comorin (Reply 135):

Woa....I completely missed that. I have to go watch that episode again (God bless DVR.... Smile)

Hopefully I wasn't projecting!  Smile

northstardc4m

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 137):

Hopefully I wasn't projecting! Smile

No you weren't, i rewatched tonight, i think shes dead as a... ummm... dead?

Thats about all i picked up from the rewatch though.

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 am

Not quite yet....

Although Galacticas days do seem to be numbered....

Springbok747

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:13 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 139):
Not quite yet....

Although Galacticas days do seem to be numbered....

I am beginning to wonder...is the Galactica the dying leader? She certainly is dying.

But about Head Six......she is an angel?! And what the hell is Starbuck? A hybrid? A toaster? I'm confused. And where was Tyrol? I thought he'd be conspicuous in this episode since he was responsible for all the crap that happened in the last episode.
And was that Jupiter? Can't wait for the conclusion but so sad I'll have to find something else to watch.....sniff sniff.
אני תומך בישראל

comorin

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:28 pm

First of all, my deepest apologies for 'projecting' Roslin's demise...just wishful thinking, I guess.  blush 

Trivia - I just realized that Cavil's speech to Ellen "I have seen the birth of supernova" etc is a tribute to Blade Runner - fellow android Rutger Hauer says " I have seen the gates of Tannhauser" as he dies...

Now to speculate:

Will Galactica self-heal and become driven by Anders from the bathtub?

Will they all become immortal like Starbuck?

Will Adama quit drinking, enough already!

Is Boomer really evil?

Other than that, we need to buckle up and find new things to do with our lives until 'Caprica' airs in a year...

Cheers

Lumberton

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 141):
Will Galactica self-heal and become driven by Anders from the bathtub?

Adama's comments on Glactica's exit lead me to believe that it will go out in a blaze of glory--possibly the destruction of the Cylon colony.

[Edited 2009-03-07 08:56:31]
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 142):
Adama's comments on Glactica's exit lead me to believe that it will go out in a blaze of glory--possibly the destruction of the Cylon colony.

Yeah Adama was briefing a one way mission in the trailers for next week....

northstardc4m

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:50 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 143):
Quoting Lumberton (Reply 142):

Yeah Adama was briefing a one way mission in the trailers for next week....

Yup... and im guessing that will be the final 2 hour series finale's crescendo... Galactica committing kamikaze style suicide to destroy the.. umm... thing Boomer took Maya to.

And dangit.. Roslyn ain't dead yet! gah!

comorin

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 144):
And dangit.. Roslyn ain't dead yet! gah!

I feel your pain, bro...

So how is it going to end? Anybody care to put down their opinions?

There are quite a few loose ends to be tied up real soon:

1. 'Galactica' herself - destroy or self heal? My vote is on destroy.
2. People: What will happen to Anders, Cavil, Boomer, the kid, and Starbuck?
3. Where will they all end up - maybe Caprica again?

In a way, the show is mostly over. Most of the questions of the last few years have been answered, and it'd be nice to see them all just find a new home and settle down.

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:04 am

Well we are down to the final episode...

- Roslyn is getting worse.
- Thrace was Zacks significant other... that's gotta mess with Lees head...
- What was Adama going to do on Caprica that only takes an hour?

Springbok747

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:50 am

Two episodes left and they just give us more questions and answer none. I am sure I will love the final episode, but I am also sure that I will be disappointed because all the questions won't be answered.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 146):
Thrace was Zacks significant other... that's gotta mess with Lees head...

Wasn't that fact known from the miniseries?

The only thing I learned today was that 6 was actually a caring Cylon for the elderly before she decided to kill a baby and wipe out mankind.

And did Baltar actually say the f-word...and not 'frack'?!

Hope the finale will be EPIC!
אני תומך בישראל

comorin

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm

One thing I'll miss for sure is the beautiful production design on BSG. The visuals are spectacular, from the design of the base ships, to the balletic beauty of the battle scenes, and every detail perfect.

I remember when '2001' came out, and it was a major jump in design and set the standard for a long time. Then came 'Alien' which gave us another way to look at space. Humanoids also made their appearance (Ian Holm), followed of course by 'Blade Runner'. I think BSG has moved the art form further than any other show - hats off to the production design team there.

zanl188
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 148):
One thing I'll miss for sure is the beautiful production design on BSG. The visuals are spectacular, from the design of the base ships, to the balletic beauty of the battle scenes, and every detail perfect.

I enjoyed the CGI flyovers of Caprica in this ep - Spectacular! Good setup for the new series as well...