Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

10 Years Of The Euro / New Coin Issued .

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Special €2 coin marks Euro anniversary

A new commemorative €2 coin has been issued to celebrate ten years of the Euro.

The Irish version of the coin is issued by the Central Bank.

All Eurozone member states are issuing the coins using a common design.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0105/euro.html

-------------------

So after 10 years has the Euro proved itself?

LTU932

RE: 10 Years Of The Euro / New Coin Issued .

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

It's been 10 years since the Euro was introduced as an accounting currency. It wasn't until 2002 when the Euro fully replaced other currencies such as the D-Mark, Italian Lira, Austrian Schilling, French Franc, the Spanish Peseta, etc. as currency. Nevertheless, 10 years since it's introduction as accounting currency, I have to say that the Euro has become a genuine hard currency. It sure had its ups and downs initially, but eventually, the Euro became stronger and is now even starting to become more dominant than the US Dollar in the global reserves.

[Edited 2009-01-05 13:56:37]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Braybuddy

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
All Eurozone member states are issuing the coins using a common design.

If this is the winning design, I wouldn't like to see the losers. While the currency has proved to be a success, the same can't be said for it's contribution to numismatic aesthetics. Some countries have indeed good national designs (Italy, Greece, Slovakia) while others are severely lacking in imagination (em . . . . Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium). The common designs to all denominations look like they were designed by a committee. I love the simplicity of the notes, but again they suffer from the committee syndrome in that the designers were restricted in what they could depict. The €5 and €20 are superb, but the others could do with a redesign.

Usually banknote designs have a shelf life of ten years, so we should be getting a new design soon. Anyone any information on this?

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:19 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
Ireland,

Yes Ireland was a dissapointment. When you think of all the culture and Celtic designs that could have been used.

HT

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
I love the simplicity of the notes, but again they suffer from the committee syndrome in that the designers were restricted in what they could depict. The €5 and €20 are superb, but the others could do with a redesign.

Usually banknote designs have a shelf life of ten years, so we should be getting a new design soon. Anyone any information on this?

A new series of bank notes is foreseen to start circulation from 2010 onwards.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Braybuddy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:53 am

Quoting HT (Reply 4):
A new series of bank notes is foreseen to start circulation from 2010 onwards.

Great! Any chance of Roger Pfund's superb designs being adopted this time round?

http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No39

Klaus

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 5):
Great! Any chance of Roger Pfund's superb designs being adopted this time round?

Horrible!   

[Edited 2009-01-12 04:08:13]

jush

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm

http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No39

Are you sick? Sorry they look hideous. Yuck.

wouldn't want to pay with them. I rather take the pre 90s D-Mark notes back

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
Horrible!

checkmark 
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Elite

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:09 pm

The images on the design are oddly scary for some reason  boggled 

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 pm

The only one I like is the €5 one.

http://www.admirabledesign.com/IMG/jpg/t835_005f.jpg

Braybuddy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Google to the rescue! It would seem the changes will be minor. There will be new security features which will be kept under wraps until just before issue. The new notes will replace the old ones one denomination at a time.

And polymer bills don't have a high priority. Plastic is apparently unpopular among manufacturers of ATMs and other machines that handle notes as apparently they stick together more than paper notes.

Quoting Jush (Reply 7):
Are you sick?

Looks like I'm in a minority here! Pfunds notes are eye-catching, to say the least, and I like his inclusion of classic European art, and how he integrates it into futuristic designs. Bearing in mind that nothing lasts forever, and banknote design has a shelf-life of around ten years, I can't see the harm in being adventurous. You have to remember that what is initially considered horrible can, over time, become a thing of beauty, such as the Eiffel Tower. I have a feeling that should these designs be adopted, they would become much-loved over a period of time.

And how many new airline liveries have been slated on this site, only to become liked and admired with the passage of time?

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 10):

The Northern Bank £5 with a space shuttle was plastic.

Dougloid

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Looks like I'm in a minority here! Pfunds notes are eye-catching, to say the least, and I like his inclusion of classic European art, and how he integrates it into futuristic designs. Bearing in mind that nothing lasts forever, and banknote design has a shelf-life of around ten years, I can't see the harm in being adventurous. You have to remember that what is initially considered horrible can, over time, become a thing of beauty, such as the Eiffel Tower. I have a feeling that should these designs be adopted, they would become much-loved over a period of time

I can't think of anything nicer to look at than the Vermeer on the 100 euro note. On the other hand, are you surprised, really?

[Edited 2009-01-12 08:01:25]
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
Horrible!

another  checkmark 

Quoting Jush (Reply 7):
I rather take the pre 90s D-Mark notes back

Yeah. Here in Kosovo it's been now almost 7yrs (since 1st Feb 2002) when we don't use D-Mark anymore. Miss these banknotes. All I remember now are 10DM Carl Gauss, if I'm not getting wrong?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
The only one I like is the €5 one.

Actually I love €500 ones but don't have too often. Lol  Smile

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
So after 10 years has the Euro proved itself?

Absolutetly not! Till now I mean... hope to prove itself in the future...  optimist 

P.S. Tonight is too cold. I mean really!  cold 

Fatmir

Klaus

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Looks like I'm in a minority here!

And as an exception we're on different sides of the issue.  silly 

Pfunds notes are eye-catching, to say the least

So are hyenas or naked mole rats. I'd still not want to cuddle with them.  mischievous 

I agree with some of your conceptual reasons why you like these designs, but the execution is heavy-handed and amateurish, they are visually inconsistent and aesthetically lacking in many respects.

As Euro notes the use of identifiable images which are directly linked to specific nationalities would automatically make them a no go. The current designs have been designed explicitly with images of ficticious architecture which exemplifies styles which have been part of our shared european history and culture all across the continent (and isles). I think that was a good choice.

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 13):
Here in Kosovo it's been now almost 7yrs (since 1st Feb 2002) when we don't use D-Mark anymore. Miss these banknotes. All I remember now are 10DM Carl Gauss, if I'm not getting wrong?

Yes, you are right:
DM notes

I liked these designs as well... they were really nicely done. And of course with a national currency it was only fitting to have references to various concrete personalities and items from our history on it. Nice, but part of history itself.

HT

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:02 pm

It would seem the changes will be minor

From http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/oth...hanniversaryoftheecbmb200806en.pdf :
The first denomination in the second series is planned to be put into circulation on 1 January 2011, and will be followed by the other denominations over a period of several
years. The designs will be evolutionary, for they will incorporate the present “ages and styles of Europe” theme as well as state-of-the-art and user-friendly security features. The designs and features of the second series, in terms of functionality, are based on market research involving the public and people who handle cash professionally, and also on consultations with the main stakeholders in the cash cycle. The ECB will announce well in advance when the current series ceases to be legal tender, i.e. when it can no longer be used to make payments.
However, the NCBs will redeem euro banknotes of the “old” series for an unlimited period of
time.

To my perception, even though the theme of the bills will remain the same, this does not indicate that the banknotes will not change to a different layout (having different pictures / drawings).
Colors might stay in order to make the denomination easier recognizable.
In case that the design would remain untouched, but only new safety features added, it might be harder to recognize a bill from series #1 in daily life, once they have ceased to be legal tender for daily trades ...

We will have to see how they look ....

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):

My personal favourite also was the back of the 10-DM note featuring the small map on the right. It is also the only design of which I kept one example for nostalgic reasons.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Ahh... nostalgia!  ashamed 

I found also this picture. D-Mark coins.
5DM (metal) coin was a little big or I was kid and it seems kinda giant coin?  Smile

Fatmir

Klaus

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 16):
5DM (metal) coin was a little big or I was kid and it seems kinda giant coin?

Maybe that too, but it's really been a very large coin!  Smile

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:26 pm

haha I remember those coins as a kid. We used to do school exchanges where we went to Germany for 3 weeks to a school. Dont know why but I always liked the 5 Mark coin.

Braybuddy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm

As Euro notes the use of identifiable images which are directly linked to specific nationalities would automatically make them a no go.

Which is a shame. I understand the reasoning behind this, but is it really that important whether images depicted favour a particular country? I'd much prefer a designer given free reign and use his imagination, which is, after all, one of the fundamentals of art and design. How can a designer create something inspirational when he is restricted? Rather than being offended by a Vermeer, or say a Monet or a classical Greek sculpture on one of my notes, I'd like to think of these artists' work as part of our shared European heritage, much in the same way as I can feel as much at home now in former foreign cities such as Lyon or Lisbon.

Quoting HT (Reply 15):
To my perception, even though the theme of the bills will remain the same, this does not indicate that the banknotes will not change to a different layout (having different pictures / drawings).

I came across a pic earlier which was claimed to be an approximate rendering of three of the new notes, but to be honest I couldn't see any difference, apart from the colours being more intense. There's talk of the cyrillic "euro" being dropped, and also "ECB" appearing in Polish, Hungarian and some other language.

Quoting HT (Reply 15):
Colors might stay in order to make the denomination easier recognizable.

Which makes sense, but why were similar colours chosen for the €50 and €200 notes in the first place?

LTU932

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Yes, you are right:
DM notes

You forgot the Gebrüder Grimm (the 1000 Mark notes): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Mark

It's in German, but it also contains some of the old post-war dollar like notes from just after the Währungsreform (currency reform, when Germany dumped the old Reichsmark). There were even 1/2 Mark notes as well, as well as notes for 5 and 10 Pfennig.  

Nothing better than asking for a Groschen back in the day. Those old Pfennig-coins out of copper were really nice. And yes, those 5 Mark coins were huge.

Personally, my favourite note was Clara Schumann (100 Mark).

[Edited 2009-01-12 11:41:31]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Klaus

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 19):
How can a designer create something inspirational when he is restricted?

Almost all the great classical artists worked under rather restricted circumstances much of the time... True artistic freedom has always been the exception, and still the best of them produced real masterpieces!

Braybuddy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Or you could have Reinhold Gerstetter Leonberg's wonderful designs instead:

http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No9

It would be a shame to miss this opportunity to go for something radical . . . if only to keep the counterfeiters on their toes.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 20):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Mark

It's in German, but it also contains...

Here's link in english http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Mark

Also you can find here all banknotes all over the world.
http://www.banknotes.it/

Fatmir

ME AVN FAN

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Roger Pfund's superb designs

-
well, THIS here indeed IS beautiful

-

Pfunds notes are eye-catching, to say the least, and I like his inclusion of classic European art, and how he integrates it into futuristic designs

-
I in this happily agree ! Even if joining a minority
-
-
And THIS series below would be a beautiful choice
-
www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No6

petertenthije

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 24):
And THIS series below would be a beautiful choice
-
www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No6

That's my favourite as well.

I also quite like
http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No24
http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No32
http://www.admirabledesign.com/Serie-No38

Number 38 reminds me of the old Dutch banknotes. No surprise they where designed by a Dutchman, quite possibly the same one that designed the Gulden notes as well.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 25):
Number 38

-
Nr 38 would really also be a nice solution !