Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Buick To Introduce 2010 LaCrosse At Detroit Show

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:32 am

Big version: Width: 630 Height: 420 File size: 42kb
2010 Buick LaCrosse Sedan

General Motors’ Buick division will debut the all-new Buick LaCrosse at the Detroit Auto Show next week.

GM says the new LaCrosse is truly global, with an exterior designed here; an interior developed in China, Buick’s biggest market; and a platform engineered by Opel in Europe. Following the Opel Insignia, the LaCrosse is GM’s first North American car on the European midsize platform. The next-generation Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn Aura will be next, due in 2011.

According to Autoweek.com, "the LaCrosse is instantly recognizable as a Buick, with portholes inside the character line on the hood and Buick’s waterfall grille. The interior is rumored to be "stunning". A flowing, uninterrupted design wraps around the instrument and door panels. GM sweated the details inside with nicely assembled, high-quality materials (wood, leather and chrome) and cool blue ambient lighting."

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090107/FREE/901079981

The base LaCrosse CX is equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 cranking out 255 hp and 211 lb-ft of torque and is mated to an electronically controlled six-speed automatic transmission. The CXL level adds lots of convenience goodies and is available with all-wheel drive. The top LaCrosse CXS is the sportiest model. This version gets a 3.6-liter direct-injection V6 good for 280 hp and 261 lb-ft of torque. The CXS comes standard with a "real-time active-dampening" suspension, heated and cooled leather seats, and chrome-plated 18-inch wheels. For maximum bling, 19-inch chrome wheels are available as an option.

I think that the new LaCrosse is very nice, but I'm not sure that it's enough of a "game-changer" to keep Buick relevant in the U.S. marketplace. Your thoughts, fellow luxury-mobile enthusiasts?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ACDC8

RE: Buick To Introduce 2010 LaCrosse At Detroit Show

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 am

I've never liked Buicks, still "grandpa's car" to me and even this new design doesn't seem to break that association for me.

I'm assuming that it'll still be badged as the Allure in Canada?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

aerobalance

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:23 am

One of my vehicles is an '08 Lexus ES350*, a competitor to the LaCrosse. I find the new LaCrosse to be an attractive car and has the interior size, front and rear, to suit my needs. However, I'm not sold on the long term reliability of Buick's - meaning cost of ownership in excess of 125K miles or 10 years. If GM decided to build engines with it's accessories to last, build suspensions to not deteriorate over time, and brake systems that don't need replacing - don't get me started with the interior switchgear - than I'll buy one - it's up to GM's bean counters to let the engineers design it right. We'll see.

*Picked after extensive cross-shopping, for me, best value for the money for a mid-size luxury sedan. Not a big fan of front-wheel drive but I enjoy how they designed this car to over-steer if provoked - Good manners. Next choice was a CLS550 but that was way too pricey. For the price of that one Merc. I got this Lexus and a BMW 335cic.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:35 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):

I would assume it would still be offered in Canada under the "Allure" name.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MAH4546

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:28 am

Good job. Too bad it's FWD.

I'm still hoping they end up offering the Chinese-market Regal (identical to the European-market Insignia) alongside the LaCrosse. GM made a proposal to the Canadian government in December that would involve committing building the Chinese-market Regal in Ontario in exchange for a bailout. Not sure what the status is, but the Opel Insignia/Buick Regal is slated to start production in Ontario in October 2011.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1052937

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):

Probably, as LaCrosse is slang for masturbation in French Canadian.

[Edited 2009-01-07 23:39:51]
a.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):

OMG! I never knew that  rotfl 

Flighty

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
I've never liked Buicks, still "grandpa's car" to me and even this new design doesn't seem to break that association for me.

You have every right to your opinion. That is what matters in the car business! The eyes of the beholder, right?

But honestly, this is a completely 1000% modern car (looks like the Infiniti G37 to me) with Buick badges on the front. If they put Buick badges on a Porsche Boxter, would it look like Grandpa's car? 70% of people would say yes. But actually this car looks really modern to me (and given its modern platform, it must be very up to date).

It's also really important to keep the China market. This is their Lincoln Town Car over there. It's becoming a part of their culture. Buick is playing their hand pretty smart.

cptkrell

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Flighty wrote: "It's also really important (for Buick) to keep the China market."

You bet; although there is a current slump in the Buick/China market, Buick has been the best-seller since 2005 and the division sells more units in China than the USA.

I really like the 2010 LaCrosse as pictured in the thread opener (although I don't see the mentioned portholes) and hope they can actually stay in business to build it, even though I'm not a FWD fan. regards....jack
all best; jack

Dougloid

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):

Don't sell the old man short. He probably bought Buicks for comfort and durability, which they have always been very good at.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

keesje

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:53 pm

I nearly got enthousiastic.

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
The base LaCrosse CX is equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 cranking out 255 hp and 211 lb-ft of torque and is mated to an electronically controlled six-speed automatic transmission. The CXL level adds lots of convenience goodies and is available with all-wheel drive. The top LaCrosse CXS is the sportiest model. This version gets a 3.6-liter direct-injection V6 good for 280 hp and 261 lb-ft of torque.

Maybe they should have had the engines also engineered by Opel in Europe.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

eaa3

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Note to Detroit: People don´t buy cars just because they exist.

slider

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
and even this new design doesn't seem to break that association for me.

Really? I think it's stunning! Very sharp car!

I have been one of the loudest critics of Detroit for a lot of reasons, but dig this car. It may be a platform for them to rob sales from would be Lexus, BMW buyers. No bad stigma for Buick except for being an "old person's" car....

I may go drive one.

Charles79

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Looks nice, and the interior looks cozy. Europeans are raving about the way the Insignia drives (almost Mondeo like) so maybe the LaCrosse will put its sophisticated platform to good use. But I agree with some comments that the design is still too traditional (mostly at the front) to undue the "old man's car" image of the recent Buicks.

Quoting Slider (Reply 11):
It may be a platform for them to rob sales from would be Lexus, BMW buyers.

I have a hard time seeing that, honestly. The product may be a leap forward but the Buick name is still no match for Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, or any other import brand. The car itself might be wonderful but how do you convince a generation (or even three!) of car buyers who got burned by GM that this one is really different? I doubt that GM has the resources to properly fund an advertising campaign which will bring in the conquest buyers while retaining the loyal customers. Add to that the fear fueled by the media about how GM will go bankrupt or worse disappear this year and many potential customers will shop elsewhere for fears of poor resale values or lack of after-sales support. It's sad but it seems like the great GM products that we waited for so long (CTS, Malibu, C6, this LaCrosse) might not be enough to overcome the 20+ years of eroding image. Hope I'm wrong.

slider

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 12):
I have a hard time seeing that, honestly. The product may be a leap forward but the Buick name is still no match for Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, or any other import brand.

Well, I totally understand your point. It is one of perception shift. Bigtime. The entire current generation of 30-somethings in the US has grown up now with those other lux brands and the quality gap (which is now largely gone) that is very difficult to overcome. There is an air of prestige with some brands, unquestionably that make people spend more for less because of the logo on the grille. Right or wrong, that’s the truth and your comments are accurate.

However, I think when you look at Buick, this is a line in the sand GM has to defend…the Buick is their Alamo as far as I’m concerned. If they’re going to have any inroads into the luxury market, or high end sedans, other than Cadillac, this is it and this is the time.

GM needs to be aggressive in marketing it. Where is Tiger Woods? He’s a paid endorser but the only time I see a Buick ad is, well, um, about never. Maybe in Golf magazine, but that demographic has the income to go above a Buick anyhow, so it’s a misfire. And the marketing of this has to hit other brands dead on, something Detroit has been reluctant to do. There are a lot of people who don’t like the ride of a BMW, the stiffness of some imports, the Spartan too-clean look of some Lexus models.

Buick got a lot of attention with the Lucerne, which is a terrific car. Hopefully this carries that forward.

flight152

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 13):
Where is Tiger Woods? He’s a paid endorser but the only time I see a Buick ad is, well, um, about never.

Maybe because Woods is no longer an endorser of the Buick brand.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 6):
But honestly, this is a completely 1000% modern car (looks like the Infiniti G37 to me)

I don't see any G37 here. This car will not take any buyers from BMW, Mercedes and the likes.

DucatiRacer

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 14):
don't see any G37 here. This car will not take any buyers from BMW, Mercedes and the likes.

I agree. I think it is a nice looking car, though, so kudos to Buick. That said, I think it is funny that everyone immediately begins talking about taking sales away from the luxury car brands as if that is a good thing for GM. Shouldn't that be Cadillac's goal? And if the point of Cadillac is to compete with luxury brands, wouldn't a Buick that also competes in the luxury market be a competor for Cadillac?

Slider says:

If they’re going to have any inroads into the luxury market, or high end sedans, other than Cadillac, this is it and this is the time.

Why does GM need inraods into the luxury market OTHER than Cadillac??

While I have to have faith that the Buick product planners do not really intend this car to compete against anything from BMW, Mercedes, etc., - if such competition is their goal, then they need to each have a CTS shoved up their ass to remind them that they work for GM. Until GM stops building a dozen variants of the same car, competing for the same customer, the nails will keep being pounded into its coffin.

slider

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Maybe because Woods is no longer an endorser of the Buick brand.

Doh! OK, well that answers that one! haha

Quoting DucatiRacer (Reply 15):

For the same reason the Japanese brands broke off sub-brands; Nissan w Infiniti, Honda w Acura, Toyota w Lexus. Broader reach.

I do concur however though that GM has had FAR too much cannibalization among its own plates for years and across platforms.

But there is enough product differentiation between Caddy and Buick I think that targets different audiences. I’m just talking aloud on that one.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't see any G37 here. This car will not take any buyers from BMW, Mercedes and the likes.

When I first looked at the '10 LaCrosse, I thought it looks alot like a Lexus GS350, especially from the rear.  yes 

DucatiRacer

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 16):
For the same reason the Japanese brands broke off sub-brands; Nissan w Infiniti, Honda w Acura, Toyota w Lexus. Broader reach.

Right, but Nissan is not premium - Infinity is premium. Similar situation with Toyota/Lexus. If Buick wants to steal sales from Merc, for example, it will be competing against Cadillac for that potential customer that is willing to cross shop a foreign lux brand with an offering from GM.

I doubt anyone at Toyota thinks the Camry will snag many customers otherwise considering a BMW 335 - rather, they are concerned with the guy who is also considering the Accord. Same case with Maxima vs. Mercedes C350. Lexus and Infinity, on the other hand, definitely want to entice the Bimmer and Mercedes crowd. My point is, Buick should try to compete with Toyota and Nissan, and leave Caddy to compete with Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc., etc.

The article quoted in the first post shows that GM is still not getting the picture as it regards their inefficient brand-engineering BS, however. It mentions that this same car will be warmed over again as the new Malibu, and then again as the new Aura. Why does this platform need to come in three different flavors from three different GM divisions? We all know that, despite GM talking about making them differentiated by trim options, etc., the Saturn and Chevy dealers will cry bloody murder if the Aura and Malibu don't come with all the same goodies available on the Buick since that would make their models less competitive, and GM will concede. Result being, 3 cars, all the same other than the badge - its the Cutlass Supreme/Regal/Monte Carlo all over again. Only problem is - this ain't 1982 anymore.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Quoting DucatiRacer (Reply 15):

In my opinion, GM needs to keep Buick relevant in the luxury market because Buick has long been known as a luxury brand in Asia, especially China.

In the end, GM will be Chevrolet, Buick (with an intense focus on Asian markets) and Cadillac. GM has already stated that the Pontiac will be a niche brand selling a few sporty models, and not a full line of cars. Saturn, Saab, Hummer brands are all up for sale to the highest bidder, if there are any bidders at all. GMC will continue to be marketed with a focus on selling light, medium, and heavy duty trucks.

It's just a damn shame that the senior management idiots that managed GM took 25 years to make this strategic decision.

cptkrell

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:27 am

Im inclined to vote merit in StasisLAX's division line-up ( Rep19) with the possible exception that GMC (if allowed to live) won't market light trucks. The Bow Tie far, far outsells GMC in light duty trucks (Silverado and the abominable-looking Colorado), so it would take some hefty marketing and a lot of blood-letting for GMC to take these away from Chevy. GMC would be strictly a heavy duty/utilitarian product lineup.

Reference DucatiRacer's fear that this platform will be in three different flavors, let's hope so! That's what good platforms are all about! Car companies (none of them) could survive with bringing different affordable vehicles to market with all unique platforms. The KEY here, is that we hope GM is smart enough to enable their flexible vehicle architecture plan to take a good platform and be able to stretch it, shrink it, widen it and if they are really smart, be able to change the proportions of it (ie: dash-to-axle dimensions) so that the same basic platform could result in different appearing and performing vehicle brands.

Getting back to the thread-starter, I really like the LaCrosse. I can see a Buick lineup of LaCrosse, Lucerne and Enclave with the rest of the line being 86'd. These would be Entry-Lux and Near-Lux products with Lux and High-Lux belonging to Cadillac. Regards...jack
all best; jack

Dreadnought

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:36 am

GM says the new LaCrosse is truly global, with an exterior designed here; an interior developed in China, Buick’s biggest market; and a platform engineered by Opel in Europe.

Interesting combo. But the chinese designing the interior? They should have given that job to the British - nobody does luxury interiors like the Brits. If nobody at Vauxhall (GM's British unit) is up to the job, steal someone from Jaguar.

the Opel Insignia, the LaCrosse is GM’s first North American car on the European midsize platform.

With a German-designed chassis, hopefully it will handle well. Anyone know if this is FWD or RWD? If it's RWD maybe it can be a competitor for Merc and BMW.

cool blue ambient lighting."

Ugh...

The base LaCrosse CX is equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 cranking out 255 hp and 211 lb-ft of torque and is mated to an electronically controlled six-speed automatic transmission. The CXL level adds lots of convenience goodies and is available with all-wheel drive. The top LaCrosse CXS is the sportiest model. This version gets a 3.6-liter direct-injection V6 good for 280 hp and 261 lb-ft of torque. The CXS comes standard with a "real-time active-dampening" suspension, heated and cooled leather seats, and chrome-plated 18-inch wheels.

Sounds good.

For maximum bling, 19-inch chrome wheels are available as an option.

Gag. Wonderful way of destroying a car's image, like what happened with the escalade. Nobody with taste like tons of chrome. I think of those people who like all that shiny crap as magpies.

LOL - I thought we got rid of mistakes like this in a global economy, alone with the Nova and Pajero.

General comment: Car companies in the US design cars too much with the US in mind, and nowhere else. This car should be designed to be attractive to export markets as well.

And by the way, what's with this latest trend of tall sides and small windows, like lowriders?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 7):
(although I don't see the mentioned portholes

The portholes are kinda stealthy. They're on the hood, close to the cowl along the character line pressed into the hood.

Charles79

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 am

the Buick is their Alamo as far as I’m concerned. If they’re going to have any inroads into the luxury market, or high end sedans, other than Cadillac, this is it and this is the time.

I have to agree with the other posters in here, though. The marketplace is not big enough right now for two GM luxury entries. Couldn't Buick fill the near-luxury niche? I'm talking about Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Lexus ES, and perhaps the VW Passat. G37, 3-Series, A4, C-Class...these are the ones that Cadillac can compete with the CTS.

The entire current generation of 30-somethings in the US has grown up now with those other lux brands and the quality gap (which is now largely gone) that is very difficult to overcome. There is an air of prestige with some brands, unquestionably that make people spend more for less because of the logo on the grille. Right or wrong, that’s the truth and your comments are accurate.

And that's this car's biggest mountain to climb. For as long as consumers continue to be of the human kind they will care about status symbols and brands, otherwise the world wouldn't need Business or First classes on planes, anything other than a Target or a Wal-Mart, and Rolex would exist as Timex. Buick does not register with anyone under 40, and even among many baby boomers. They could go as far and buy BMWs and re-badge them ad Buicks and still get nowhere. The new LaCrosse and the Lucerne are a BIG step in the right direction but the road ahead is certainly not easy. My recommendation to Buick would be to decide what it wants to be (a BMW chaser or a real Lexus/Avalon/Passat alternative) and focus its strength there.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 19):
In my opinion, GM needs to keep Buick relevant in the luxury market because Buick has long been known as a luxury brand in Asia, especially China.

Perhaps Buick can compete as luxury in China but I just don't see both Buick and Cadillac going after luxury buyers without hurting each other. The only way this can happen is if the top end Buick is positioned as a near-luxury car (think $35-$40K tops) and Cadillac's base model no lower than their current CTS.

DucatiRacer

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:42 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 19):
In the end, GM will be Chevrolet, Buick (with an intense focus on Asian markets) and Cadillac. GM has already stated that the Pontiac will be a niche brand selling a few sporty models, and not a full line of cars. Saturn, Saab, Hummer brands are all up for sale to the highest bidder, if there are any bidders at all. GMC will continue to be marketed with a focus on selling light, medium, and heavy duty trucks.

I agree that this is a likely scenario, and would certainly be a major improvement over the current GM lineup. However, I would still argue that GM could be even healthier with Buick gone as well. Just like Nissan sells mainstream cars under its own name, and luxury cars under the Infinity banner, so could GM have Chevy and Cadillac. The only real losers in that scenario would be the dealers that sell anything other than Chevy and Caddy - but those are the breaks. The fact of the matter is that, while I am really pleased to see the way Cadillac is headed with the CTS, and hope some of that momentum will end up pushing the rest of the Cadillac line upmarket (and away from their current pathetic front wheel drive models and Gangsta fabulous SUVs), they still don't make any product that comes close to the true top of the line foreign cars (think A8, S Class and 7 Series) in amenities or fit and finish. That being the case, Cadillac is, at best, still a "near luxury" brand and that makes Buick (which is certainly marketed as a "near luxury" brand) as useless as Mercury. Just as Ford should take the redundant nag of a mark, Mercury, out behind the barn and put a bullet between its eyes, so should GM do with Buick. Hell, keep selling them in China - I don't think their Buick line in Asia is going to be too dependant on US offerings anyway given the new Riviera, etc. Finally, I would also say they should make GMC walk the plank as well. Perhaps back in the "gool ole days" GMC's existence was necessary so that Buick dealers could offer a pick-up truck to its loyal customers, but with the extensive Chevy dealership network (which needs serious reduction, by the way) it is just useless. That said, if they do sh!tcan GMC, they really need to stick the bowtie on the GMC Sierra and ditch that butt-ugly face on the Silverado.

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 20):
Reference DucatiRacer's fear that this platform will be in three different flavors, let's hope so! That's what good platforms are all about! Car companies (none of them) could survive with bringing different affordable vehicles to market with all unique platforms

Hey, we totally agree. I am all for getting the best use out of a platform. Hell, I think Ford has done wonders with this. Unless I am mistaken, they have made the Mazda 3, Euro Focus, and Volvo C30 from the same platform despite all three cars having very different personalities and price points, and the Volvo S80 donated its bits to create the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, Lincoln MKwhatever, and even the Land Rover LR2 (I think). Pretty impressive. I even like that BMW sliced and diced the 3 Series to create the 1 (which although being WAY to heavy to be a true resurrection of the 2002, is at least a worthy "spiritual" successor). My complaint about GM is that the Lacrosse/Malibu/Aura will be essentially identical underneath the skin. While this is not as egregious as examples from years gone by considering that the doors, roofline, and most bodypanels will be bespoke for each variation - as opposed to GM corporate siblings sharing almost everything right down to door handles and side mirrors in years gone by - it is still making the same girl in three different dresses. If the ultimate deciding factor for someone shopping each of the Malibu, Lacrosse and Aura is which one has the prettier dashboard, then GM has really wasted 10s of millions of dollars on developing the 3 cars, and have once again created a situation where their dealers are competing against each other for the same customer.

As a last point, I wonder what the rest of you folks think about whether GM should ultimately require Cadillac dealers to all be stand alone dealership facilities, seperate from other GM properties, with particular standards of decor and service??? As much as it may be elitist, I bet there are plenty of folks that get turned off at the thought of spending time in a service area of a dealership waiting on their STS-V to be serviced, while some 20 year old mom with 2 screaming kids running around is arguing over the $20 charge for changing the oil in her Pontiac Vibe. I know when the German brands started requiring this in the early 90s a lot of smaller towns lost their dealerships (my hometown saw its BMW dealer - who also sold Buick - have to give up its franchise since it could not justify building a stand alone facility). However, as has been noted many times in this very thread, image is perhaps more important to many buyers than true quality, and there is a reason Lexus dealers don't park ES 's on the same lot with the Camrys that they were born from (in Dallas I think you would be hard pressed to find a Lexus dealer in the same zipcode as a Toyota dealer).

ACDC8

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 am

You have every right to your opinion. That is what matters in the car business! The eyes of the beholder, right?

Quoting Slider (Reply 11):
Really? I think it's stunning! Very sharp car!

Don't get me wrong, its alot nicer than previous models. Its got potential, but it still seems to be missing something in the styling. As Flighty said, its just my opinion. Which of course might change once I actually see one on the road  Wink And for what its worth, the Enclave is a very sharp looking vehicle.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 8):
Don't sell the old man short. He probably bought Buicks for comfort and durability, which they have always been very good at.

Comfort yes, but without going into a huge debate, the durability/reliability has been more hit then miss. My dads 92 Regal was very good, the 98 LeSabre (bought used) not so much and the 04 Century has seen its share of warranty work. Like I said, I don't want to get into a big discussion on product reliablity, besides, if they were that bad, he wouldn't be on his third one, right?  Wink
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Superfly

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 am

Good job. Too bad it's FWD.

checkmark 

It's a wonderful automobile but too bad it's wasted on a front-wheel drive platform.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

N243NW

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 am

But honestly, this is a completely 1000% modern car (looks like the Infiniti G37 to me) with Buick badges on the front. If they put Buick badges on a Porsche Boxter, would it look like Grandpa's car? 70% of people would say yes. But actually this car looks really modern to me (and given its modern platform, it must be very up to date).

I immediately thought Infiniti styling when I saw this as well. Honestly, I love it. Moreover, I don't envision myself having to be at least 65 years of age to drive one.

Makes me wonder if Buick is going to try to follow Cadillac's lead of marketing to younger drivers as well as older ones soon.  scratchchin 
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Marquis

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am

I think it is a great looking car, although it strongly reminds me of the '10 Toyota Avensis. Especially the interior looks great and high-quality. The Opel Insignia it is based on was just entitled "Car of the year 2009" in Europe. Hope they don't change the sporty design of the suspension and chassis.  thumbsup 

The base LaCrosse CX is equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 cranking out 255 hp and 211 lb-ft of torque[...] [...]This version gets a 3.6-liter direct-injection V6 good for 280 hp and 261 lb-ft of torque.

Why didn't they put the 2.0 Turbo Ecotec (220HP and 258 lb-ft torque), respectively the 2.8 Turbo Ecotec (260 HP and 258 lb-ft torque) with AWD from the Opel Insignia in?
Riding the radials...

TheRedBaron

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 am

they should bring the Vectra and rebadge not as a Saturn but as a Buick...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:29 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 29):
they should bring the Vectra and rebadge not as a Saturn but as a Buick...

Already being planned...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1052937

The Chinese-market Buick Regal is a rebadged Opel Insignia.

[Edited 2009-01-14 16:30:14]
a.

Cadet57

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:29 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
It's a wonderful automobile but too bad it's wasted on a front-wheel drive platform.

Just because a car isnt RWD, does not make it wasted.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:01 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 31):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
It's a wonderful automobile but too bad it's wasted on a front-wheel drive platform.

Depends on the person.

I would absolutely never buy a FWD car.

Most consumers, fortunately for car companies, are not like me.
a.

Superfly

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 32):

Depends on the person.

I would absolutely never buy a FWD car.

I am almost the same way.
The only FWD car I ever bought was my old 1987 Chrysler Lebaron convertible (in 1998).
I bought the car solely for it's looks. I still think that was one of the most beautiful cars ever made but the FWD on top of the horrible reliability, I eventually had to let it go.
Now if I HAD to buy another FWD car I would only buy a Buick with the trusted and very reliable and powerful 3.8 liter V6. Those engines are bulletproof.
My favorite would be the 1992-1996 Buick Park Avenue.
The 1986-1991 Electra and Park Avenues and Oldsmobile Ninety Eight were fantastic automobiles and it's no wonder why there are so many still on the road today.
My roommate sold his 1990 LeSaber a few years ago with 280,000 miles on it and it was still running fine. It never broke down, nor has his 1994 Park Avenue.

Other than that, I will only stick with rear-wheel drive.
Bring back the Concorde