rootsair
Topic Author

Earthquake In Costa Rica

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Yesterday my parents called from Costa Rica all scared because they had just felt a terrible earthquake. Its magnitude was of 6.2 on the Richter scale. So far, the death toll is of 13 people and there are around 30 injured.

In English

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/09/crica.quake/

FULL COVERAGE IN SPANISH

http://www.nacion.com

Regards

BM

[Edited 2009-01-09 11:32:41]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

MadameConcorde

RE: Earthquake In Costa Rica

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 pm

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

PSA53

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Its magnitude was of 6.2 on the Richter scale. So far, the death toll is of 13 people and there are around 30 injured.

Being hit with a 4.5 here and it's the epicenter,I can only imagine if a 6.2 hit us of what damage and injuries it might have created.I extend my tremendous concerns and hope you and your nation will smoothly recover.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

viaggiare

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 pm

So far, the death toll is of 13 people and there are around 30 injured.

Saludos, Braulio! Quite sadly there are now 14 confirmed casualties. However there are at least 22 people missing, so the death toll is expected to rise during the next few days. Over a thousand people are being housed in shelters as I type this.

From local news sources......

"Today is a day of mourning for Costa Ricans," President (and 1987 Nobel Peace Prize laureate) Oscar Arias told a joint news conference with the head of the Comisión Nacional de Emergencias this morning.

Public Works and Transport Minister Karla González said the government had contracted most private helicopters in the country, which abolished its armed forces sixty years ago, to help with rescue operations.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 2):
I can only imagine if a 6.2 hit us of what damage and injuries it might have created.

The initial figure of 6.2 has been revised down to a 6.1 (meaning the shaking amplitude was 1/10 times smaller than originally reported) but the thing is this quake stroke along a shallow (less than three miles deep) fault line, so it was more intense than your typical 6.1 seismic event. As a result, it triggered numerous landslides (responsible for several casualties in rural areas) and tore apart a number of secondary roads.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

cedars747

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 pm

All my sympathy for the people of Costa Rica.

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

LTU932

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:49 am

Three little girls were buried as a result of the landslides. All unfortunately dead and one of the first reported casualties. Another woman died from a heart attack that she got from the scare of the quake.

My father was at the hospital at the time, awaiting surgery for his broken hip that he got from a 5 metre fall. He told me today that the quake did scare him, because some of the ceiling beams were shaking like crazy, but in the end, it was a non-event in terms of damage to the place and to him.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

viaggiare

Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 am

We were at 15 confirmed casualties and 100 people missing at last count......

In other news, Joint Task Force-Bravo (under USSOUTHCOM) has deployed a number of UH-60s and military personnel out of XPL/MHSC to take part in the ongoing rescue and relief efforts.

Once again the good ol' US of A coming through with humanitarian assistance. God bless them!  Smile

These JTF-B units arrived in LIR last night and will temporarily be based at SYQ for the next few days.

SJOtoLIR

Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Next week I must go close to the damaged zone due strictly to my work.
Some projects related to power generation have been developed not far away from that area and it seems that the uncontrolled water and mud unfortunately damaged the structures.
Watching the news on TV, most regional roads have totally disappeared though.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

viaggiare

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 7):
Some projects related to power generation have been developed not far away from that area and it seems that the uncontrolled water and mud unfortunately damaged the structures

Apparently tons of mud from flooding and landslides unleashed by the earthquake flooded the powerhouse at Cariblanco. I heard the plant (and its 82MW capacity) will remain offline for about a year.

As a follow-up to my previous post, the U.S. sent three UH-60s and one CH-47 to assist the Costa Rican authorities.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Shull

viaggiare

Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 am

After touring the areas ravaged by the earthquake, President Arias had this (among other things) to say......

"Now that we have witnessed the power of nature, it is our turn to show the strength of humanity, the strength we all have together in support of each other.

With God's help, I trust that we will overcome this test, that we will rescue all the survivors, and that we will help all those affected.

This is a wonderful country, a country full of hope. Through the tears and the debris, I know that very soon we will see the light of a new day."

viaggiare

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 am

Some of the thirty-four U.S. servicemen hard at work making ambulance runs and hauling supplies...

Turns out the Colombian Air Force sent a UH-60 of its own (FAC-4136) to help us out. Gracias, Colombia!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Orlando Suarez

[Edited 2009-01-10 23:47:57]

ME AVN FAN

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:11 pm

all scared

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 5):
scare him, because some of the ceiling beams were shaking

-
I only once felt a rather minor earthquake (without damage). Seeing, right in the middle of the night, the lamp moving forth and back, and strange sounds of the windows, I thought I urgently had to reduce my alcohol consumption, and only in the morning heard that it had been an earthquake. So that people confronted with a REAL thing have all my feelings with them !
-
15 or 20 dead is sad and tragic, but ........... well ........... not what might be possible. Let's hope that there is not something not yet known somewhere outside !

viaggiare

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Rescue crews keep digging for victims... 34 dead and 64 missing are the latest official figures. So this will probably go down as the second-deadliest seismic event in my country's recorded history......

1. Cartago quake (04 MAY 1910) magnitude unknown = between 400 and 700 dead
2. Vara Blanca quake (08 JAN 2009) magnitude 6.1 = number of casualties yet undetermined
3. Orotina quake (04 MAR 1924) magnitude 7.0 = 70 dead
4. Limón quake (22 ABR 1991) magnitude 7.5 = 50 dead

SJOtoLIR

Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:07 am

The local authorities have not yet reported the event in terms of the acceleration of gravity which is commonly used for the structural analysis.

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 12):
1. Cartago quake (04 MAY 1910) magnitude unknown = between 400 and 700 dead
2. Vara Blanca quake (08 JAN 2009) magnitude 6.1 = number of casualties yet undetermined
3. Orotina quake (04 MAR 1924) magnitude 7.0 = 70 dead
4. Limón quake (22 ABR 1991) magnitude 7.5 = 50 dead

The level of damage derived from any earthquake is not exclusively inherent to its intensity. For example, during the 1985 Mexico quake, the event was placed off the Mexican Pacific coast. The poor condition of the average soils in Mexico City increased the vulnerability of the whole area taking into account that the former city was built over the old Lake Texcoco.
It also should be noted the very negative consequences when the acceleration of the ground equates to the own acceleration of any structure. Speaking again about the 1985 Mexico quake, most of the structures configured as 15-20 stories totally collapsed due to this seismic behavior, which is technically known as resonance. However, the colonial buildings as well as the tallest structures in town [Torre Latinoamericana, WTC Mexico and so forth] did not suffer more than minimal damages.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

viaggiare

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 13):

The level of damage derived from any earthquake is not exclusively inherent to its intensity.

Intensity? That last post referred strictly to magnitude. Two different concepts.  Wink

rootsair
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks viaggare for your complete coveage of this earthquake..i have been reading La Nacion all these days to sadly discover more victims every day.
Thanks also to everyone who has given their regards to my country and its population!

Regards
BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots