Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luv2fly

RE: Obama's Cabinet Picks Get Better And Better.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 47):
Quoting AGM100 (Reply 46):
See how it works?

You mean like Barbara Bush and what she did with her donation for post-Katrina relief?

Wow talk about a half ass donation, though give her snaps for keeping her money in th family.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11999884/

luv2fly

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 49):
Knowledge of what? We must have watched different hearings because all I heard was a laundry list of things she wants to do and what was particularly interesting was how it was described as "her" state department. Not the Obama administration foreign policy.

Let's be honest here it really did not matter what she said, your mind was already made up.

mariner

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 49):
Knowledge of what? We must have watched different hearings because all I heard was a laundry list of things she wants to do and what was particularly interesting was how it was described as "her" state department.

Then we did watch different hearings.

For the record, I am much more taken with Christopher Hitchens condemnations of Mrs. Clinton, even though his - ultimately - don't make any political sense. At least, there is some intellectual rigor to them.

mariner

[Edited 2009-01-15 11:38:38]

dxing
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 48):
I can't just take your word for it.

They seem to have just taken Mr. Geithner's word for it.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 48):
Otherwise they might think you're a poor sap who can't afford it. Or just a slob.

Or that I am just able body enough to clean my own house.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 51):
Let's be honest here it really did not matter what she said, your mind was already made up.

Let's be honest, she was not asked to display any real knowledge of diplomacy.

PSA727

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 31):
So, does this mean that if he was never nominated that he would have NEVER paid his taxes??

You mean never paying THOSE taxes? I would say no. The statute of limitations had run out in IRS terms, so he really was no longer responsible in that regard. Since he made no effort before his nomination to pay those taxes, I'm using that as a basis for my conclusion. Do you really think that his upcoming nomination hearings triggered something in his head which then made him remember that he never paid those taxes??? I think the country needs a better Treasury Secretary than one who has such a faulty memory.

dxing
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 54):
I think the country needs a better Treasury Secretary than one who has such a faulty memory.

It'll be perfect for him though. If there are any more tax skeletons in the closet he can bury them forever.

The President is free to choose whomever he wishes to serve him. The Senate is free, and failing outright criminal or other such negligence, to confirm them. My question remains, you have a Treasury Secretary nominee that failed to know that he had not paid his personal taxes. An AG nominee that has taken part in several questionable pardons involving political donations. And a Secretary of State nominee whose husband's foundation, for all the good that it does, could easily lead to conflicts of interest. The question remains, after all the rhetoric of the campaign about this administration coming to Washington being squeaky clean and above reproach, is this the best they can come up with? If it is then it should speak volumes of what we can expect over the next 4 years.

mariner

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 55):
And a Secretary of State nominee whose husband's foundation, for all the good that it does, could easily lead to conflicts of interest.

Scarcely "easily."

Donations to the foundation are subject to extraordinary (and annual) review, and go well beyond that which is required by law.

And every anti-Clintonite out there has a micron spectrometer trained on the foundation now.

Smile

mariner

WellHung

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 53):
They seem to have just taken Mr. Geithner's word for it.

Agreed, unfortunately for you, those who took his word for it were appointed by Bush.

The tax issue stems from income from 2001-2004.

The Federal Reserve Board of Governors, all of whom were appointed by Bush, confirmed Geithner's appointment as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in 2003.

Had they done their due diligence instead of just giving the thumbs up to their buddy, this would have been disclosed long ago.

Quoting DXing (Reply 53):
Or that I am just able body enough to clean my own house.

Or too poor to afford a house big enough to require someone to clean.

dxing
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 57):
Agreed, unfortunately for you, those who took his word for it were appointed by Bush.

Really, Bush appointees are on the Obama transition team? Makes no difference what the Fed missed at this time, that is water under the bridge, right now he is applying for the job of Treasury Secretary.

AGM100

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 50):
Wow talk about a half ass donation, though give her snaps for keeping her money in th family.

Sounds kinda shady to me I agree , but Clinton and his pals are doing it with the big money. $ 115 k ? that's a weekend venture in Monaco for his crowd.

I just don't like how Bill , moves in and out of public and private ventures. He plays all the fields and uses his numerous hats depending on what crowd he is addressing. The voters of the USA gave him his title , he seems to use it for his own needs.

I don't want to make a cloud on PE Obama over this , but the Clinton's need be watched carefully by him and his confidantes. I will always be grateful to PE Obama for beating Hillary ... but then he turned around and gave her the corner office . We will see .

seb146

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 36):
Cheney a former wartime Sec Def and Bush who sepnt more time in the Military that Clinton, Gore and barry combined.

Bush was busy defending the volitile skies over Alabama when he was not AWOL. How many deferments did Cheney get? Still does not show leadership. Laugh all you want over Obama being a community organizer, but, he knows how to work with people, not just show for the military.

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 36):
Does that not bother you when he was running on change and as a Washington oustsider being new to Washington.

This is what people don't get: Change from Bush II. That is what he is running on. The country was mad that Bush was doing nothing. The majority thought, since Palin/McCain had an (R) behind their names, there would be no change from the Bush Administration. Just because Clintons people, who have experience, are being nominated, it is a HUGE change from the percieved poor running of the country by Bush. Change from running this country into the ground. The Clinton Administration, by Obama and his advisors, and by a lot of his supporters, is a HUGE change and a positive change from Bush. As we have pointed out many, many, many, many, many, many times: this is all sour grapes that the Bush policies will not be carried on.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 33):
Quoting Seb146 (Reply 32):
How much experience did Roberts have that he was nominated for Chief Justice before he had even been confirmed?

Nominations always come before confirmation.

You missed the point completely. Roberts was nominated. Fine. No disagreement from me. Confirmation? Great. No probmem. But, before he even got the job, he was promoted to Chief Justice. How does that work? That little SNAFU just always seemed funny to me.

WellHung

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:27 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 58):
Makes no difference what the Fed missed at this time, that is water under the bridge, right now he is applying for the job of Treasury Secretary.

Your logic doesn't float. These folks are charged with fixing the economy. Their attention to detail should be impeccable. They were Bush appointees who failed to spot what you call an obvious and egregious breach of the public trust. I sure don't want them deciding who gets our $700-850 billion if they can't identify simple tax "fraud".

Was it ok to overlook his errors prior to nomination by Obama? That doesn't jive with your phony outrage. There is no statute of limitations on errors by presidential appointees.

And since the information came out as evidence prior to confirmation, all is well and good. It is now up to the Senate, acting in this case as the "decider".

Of course, if this information came out after his confirmation by the Senate, I'm sure you'd consider that "water under the bridge", as well.

dxing
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 61):
These folks are charged with fixing the economy.

The Fed is? What country do you live in?

I sure don't want them deciding who gets our $700-850 billion if they can't identify simple tax "fraud".

That's good, cause they don't. This has been the Hank Paulsen show up till now. A week from now it will be a tax cheat's show if things continue.

Was it ok to overlook his errors prior to nomination by Obama?

Not at all, but he is not applying for that job now, Treasury Secretary carries a lot more weight than the one he had as Fed President in New York.

Of course, if this information came out after his confirmation by the Senate, I'm sure you'd consider that "water under the bridge", as well.

Not at all. He should step down from the Fed post and go back to work for IMF. Obviously he wasn't very truthful with them either. But that's not going to happen and he will most likely be confirmed. So once againt he question becomes, is the the best we could get? Has the campaign rhetoric of being the most above board, honest, and ethical administration already gone over the side? Between the AG and Treasury, not to mention the former cattle futures speculator with incredible sixth senses at State, you have to wonder.

Confuscius

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
Obama's Cabinet Picks Get Better And Better.

checkmark 

You got that right. Pretty good team so far. A+  bigthumbsup 

WellHung

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 62):
That's good, cause they don't. This has been the Hank Paulsen show up till now.

Did he raise all that money from his lemonade stand and piggy bank?

Things you should look up:

Ben Bernake
Bear Stearns
Where bailout funds came from
Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac
Mortgage-backed securities
Bank of America / Merrill Lynch

Not at all, but he is not applying for that job now, Treasury Secretary carries a lot more weight than the one he had as Fed President in New York.

And Fed President carries a lot more weight than the guy who cleans bathrooms at Wal Mart.

He should step down from the Fed post and go back to work for IMF. Obviously he wasn't very truthful with them either.

Wait, so it's not "water under the bridge"??

Quoting DXing (Reply 58):
Makes no difference what the Fed missed at this time, that is water under the bridge

???

767Lover

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Come on people.

Let's not let party affiliations blind us to the facts.

1) The guy signed papers that indicated he knew he would face some tax liability through his IMF work.

2) Even if the IMF stuff confused him, he claimed overnight camps as "dependent child care expenses." Publication 503 from the IRS clearly explains that overnight camp is NOT an allowable expense.

3) He was audited a couple of years ago and paid taxes for the years covered by the audit, but didn't pay for the other years that he made the same "mistake" in until the nomination came up. (Hmmm, if it were an honest mistake, and he were a person of integrity, he would have said, after the 2006 audit, "If I made this mistake in these years, I obviously made it in other years because my understanding was that I didn't have to pay. I should pay those taxes as well."

4) Yes, he is human, and humans make mistakes. That doesn't mean he is qualified to be in a position to oversee tax policy and enforcement. How many "mistakes" will he allow other filers? Is he going to waive penalties on them since penalties were waived for him?

5) Even if these were honest mistakes, his work in regards to tax payments and liability is sloppy and not confidence-inspiring.

The bottom line is that this doesn't pass the sniff test. There are others more qualified who have PAID their taxes in full, correctly and on time.

I'm sorry if those of you who take this as "liberal bashing" or hate-mongering or whatever can't see it for what it is. As a side, I was buried last week and didn't see this story come up in the news.

It was told to me last night by a VERY pro-Obama member of my family who generally doesn't believe he can do any wrong...and yet even he is extremely disappointed in this nomination and believes Obama is completely wrong on this one.

dxing
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 64):
Did he raise all that money from his lemonade stand and piggy bank?

Nope, but as the law is written the Treasury Secretary is the one who get to decide how to spend it.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 64):
Wait, so it's not "water under the bridge"??

I said He, that assumes honor which is obviously lacking.

WellHung

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 66):
Nope, but as the law is written the Treasury Secretary is the one who get to decide how to spend it.

If you are referring to TARP, you are wrong again. A couple of other things you might want to check out:

Office of Financial Stability
Neel Kashkari

Quoting DXing (Reply 66):
I said He, that assumes honor which is obviously lacking.

So it's water under the bridge for the guys Bush appointed, but not for the guy Obama appointed...

dxing
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:19 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 67):
If you are referring to TARP, you are wrong again

That's not what the law says.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1424&tab=summary

Title I - Troubled Assets Relief Program
Section 101 -
Authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury (Secretary) to establish the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to purchase troubled assets from any financial institution, in accordance with terms, conditions, policies, and procedures the Secretary develops.
Directs the Secretary to establish within the Office of Domestic Finance of the Department of the Treasury an Office of Financial Stability, through which TARP shall be implemented.
Authorizes the Secretary to: (1) designate financial institutions as financial agents of the federal government; and (2) establish vehicles to purchase, hold, and sell troubled assets and issue obligations.

Directs the Secretary to prevent unjust enrichment of participating financial institutions, including any sale of a troubled asset (with certain exceptions) to the Secretary at a price higher than what the seller paid to purchase the asset. Exempts from this requirement any troubled assets acquired in a merger or acquisition, or a purchase of assets from a financial institution that is either under conservatorship or receivership, or that has initiated bankruptcy proceedings.
Section 102 -
Requires the Secretary, if TARP is established, to establish also a program to guarantee troubled assets originated or issued before March 14, 2008, including mortgage-backed securities.
Establishes the Troubled Assets Insurance Financing Fund for deposit of premiums collected from participating financial institutions in order to fund such guarantee program.

And now we'll have a tax cheat running things! Way to go Barry!

[Edited 2009-01-20 20:20:13]

[Edited 2009-01-20 20:20:40]

Aaron747

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 68):

And now we'll have a tax cheat running things!

As I said, the weasel's gotta go. But at the same time, I seriously doubt there's anyone at the upper levels of our federal reserve banks that aren't cheating on their taxes. As a non-government entity, they already run things, as it were.