Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

India Celebrates Another Replublic Day.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:05 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videoshow/4032357.cms

India celebrated another Republic Day on 26/11/2009.
Since this is exactly Two months since 26/11 terror strikes.the patriotism was higher than ever.
The comming months will determine India's response to the 26/11 terror attacks,after giving enough time for the Diplomatic Initiatives to work.

It was the Tricolour everywhere.

regds
MEL

comorin

RE: India Celebrates Another Replublic Day.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 am

Happy Republic Day to one and all! The PM must be watching from his hospital bed.

Brings back memories! In my time we used to watch Gnats and De Havilland Vampires fly by but presume things have changed. The thrill of 'Chacha' Nehru walking by, the spectacular Beating Retreat ceremony and other delights. The flowers at the Mughal Gardens, roses and chrysanthemums - felt like Paradise.

Dougloid

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
The comming months will determine India's response to the 26/11 terror attacks,after giving enough time for the Diplomatic Initiatives to work.

How about a deal on some nice clean one owner Predators, with the Hellfire package?

pnqiad

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Indeed a proud occasion to celebrate being a republic and a flourishing democracy for 60 years and counting. Given that India has had to celebrate this day in the shadows of 26/11 - I think Mel's comments were on the point.

As imperfect as it may be, the very fact that India has been able to thrive as a democracy (where as very few other countries coming out of colonization have been able to do) is a testament to the Indian spirit. Now only if India can make the world realize that her patience is a virtue not a symbol of her weakness.

A Happy Republic Day to all Indians and friends of India.....

OA260

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 5):
Given that India has had to celebrate this day in the shadows of 26/11 - I think Mel's comments were on the point.

But with all due respect it seems to creep into every thread. I can certainly copy and paste the posts if you want but I think thats not necessary. And as someone else has pointed out it was not a surprise. I knew before I clicked into this thread to be honest.

''The Republic Day of India is a national holiday of India to mark the adoption of the Constitution of India and the transition of India from a British Dominion to a republic on January 26, 1950. It is one of the three national holidays in India.''

Feel free to celebrate this national holiday but not to jibe at Pakistan and Pakistani Anet members .

I celebrate the fact that India got Independance and so do my Fathers family whose roots lead back to India.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:38 am

Given that India has had to celebrate this day in the shadows of 26/11

True.India awaits support from Pakistan to fight these elements & is not blaming the political leadership there.

Now only if India can make the world realize that her patience is a virtue not a symbol of her weakness.

Very true.Paitence to want peace should not be considered a weakness.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Feel free to celebrate this national holiday but not to jibe at Pakistan and Pakistani Anet members .

true.But I think the drifting occurs because of the lack of support from the other side towards attackers of India's 26/11,which is the latest attack.
The hurt is very bad out here following 26/11.Hence Replublic day celebrations had many mentions of it.which is very understandable.

The Parade as usual was fantastic & Amazing,Well organised & always a pleasure to watch.
I still remember this parade from many years ago till date,how it has evolved to be a very popular & family outing for most people visiting.

regds
MEL

grozzy

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:49 am

In Sydney, we had both Australia Day and Chinese New Year celebrations on 26th Jan. Didnt see any Indian celebrations but Im sure there would have been some somewhere.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 am

Quoting Grozzy (Reply 10):

In Sydney, we had both Australia Day and Chinese New Year celebrations on 26th Jan. Didnt see any Indian celebrations but Im sure there would have been some somewhere.

Interesting.Whats the history on both celebrations like.
regds
MEL

grozzy

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 11):
Whats the history on both celebrations like.

The Australia Day festivities are centred around the harbour with fireworks at night.
For chinese new year they have parades and stuff. Its actually fairly rare for the two to coincide.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting Grozzy (Reply 12):
The Australia Day festivities are centred around the harbour with fireworks at night.

Ok.But whats the reason for this being called Australia day?

regds
MEL.

AGM100

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Enjoy the Holiday Mel and all of our friends in India ! I Will go to my local Indian Restaurant and have a few KF's tonight ! That's all the excuse I needed ..

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 16):
Enjoy the Holiday Mel and all of our friends in India ! I Will go to my local Indian Restaurant and have a few KF's tonight ! That's all the excuse I needed ..

Thats exactly what I did....Dinner at the Bandra Gymkhana with Family & Friends.

http://republicday.nic.in/

I'm glad India is a Democracy..........Even the street kids selling paper flags & pins were very enthusiastic.

regds
MEL

Dougloid

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:44 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
I'm glad India is a Democracy

The alternative would be pretty damned hideous, don't you think?
It's a credit to the great nation of India that in the main, cooler heads have prevailed and people are often ready to listen to each other. Although one might conclude that colonialism was a bad thing, I think that the British made important contributions in the field of law and government-just as they did in this country.

It's ended up with India having a foot in both worlds. You gotta love that.

grozzy

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 14):
Ok.But whats the reason for this being called Australia day?

Sorry, its actually the anniversary of the first european settlement in Australia on 26th Jan 1788 in Sydney. Its grown into a national day to celebrate Australia as a nation and what we have become.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
The alternative would be pretty damned hideous, don't you think?

True.We see it in our neighbourhood,a strong Democracy always helps.
Its amazing,considering the structure of India in terms of Languages,castes,cultures,communities,religons....No one could have vouched for it to be a stable & successfull democracy for so many years.Its like a world with diversity in one country.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
I think that the British made important contributions in the field of law and government-just as they did in this country.

True.Apart for partition,they passed on a lot of great stuff.

I stay in Mumbai & its great to have friends from various communities, together celebrating each others festivals.Amazing.

regds
MEL

AGM100

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
I'm glad India is a Democracy

It is a credit to the character of the people of India to have been able to hold democracy together for so long. I am in the middle of reading "The Great Partition " by Yasmin Khan it is a bewildering story of major crisis and massive social and political change. Both sides have valid reasons to hate each other ,however India remains amazingly stable in light of all the history.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 15):
It is a credit to the character of the people of India to have been able to hold democracy together for so long.

Seeing its resolve...I'm sure it would be the last Democracy to fall,If democracy does start falling.
 Smile
regds
MEL

AGM100

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 16):
Seeing its resolve...I'm sure it would be the last Democracy to fall,If democracy does start falling.

I am frankly embarrassed at the my fellow countrymen Mel , we in the US hit some hard times and are willing to throw it all out the window. We have become week , and our leaders have betrayed us . We are not heading away from democracy , we just have too may voters who are week , spoiled and looking for free stuff .. not freedom.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 17):

I guess most Indians do not have too much,so although hope for more,but adjust well with what one has & that helps.
regds
MEL