Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

plateman
Topic Author

Your Traffic Tickets

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Saw the topic of sports tickets and made me think of parking/traffic tickets...so let's share, what have you been ticketed for in your life? why? how much were the fines?

For me, three camera tickets and 1 parking.
*$50 Red light camera in DC (Nebraska and Connecticut)-fighting it because I was clearly making a right on red, which is legal. As I wrote in my fight, you can see my blinker on and if I wasn't turning "you would have had a 4-alarm fire as I would have hit a gas station

*$75 Speed Camera (Arizona Ave NW, Washington)-11mph over
*$75 Speed Camera (MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington)-11 mph over
----I learned my lesson with these, now I'll got 30 in that 25mph zone

*$25 Parking ticket in Chinatown DC--who know meters there go to 10pm, unless the rest of the city.

So share away! Let's see who has the most, the largest fines, the worst offense.

[Edited 2009-01-28 05:44:58]

[Edited 2009-01-28 05:45:12]
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

signol

RE: Your Traffic Tickets

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I've only ever had 1 ticket in my life. I'd driven to Paris, and parked up on a side street, amongst a line of parked cars. I didn't see the sign saying no parking during the daytime  Sad
I arrived the next morning at about 10am to find all the other cars gone and a ticket (like a postcard) on the windscreen. 400FF (This was in 2000, so about EUR30)
They had an interesting way of paying the fine - I had to go to a tabacconists and buy "fine stamps" ("timbres d'amende"), like postage stamps. I also bought a postage stamp, stuck the fine stamps onto the card, and the postage stamp above the address, and posted the card off.
An interesting experience, but expensive at the time! (I was a poor student).

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

mirrodie

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:37 pm

When I was a student:

$50 for being too close to the handicap ramp.

$135 for ...3 to 4 speeding tickets over the last 15 years.

But my happy gloat is that this past October, a MeterMonster of NYC (about an hour from where I live) ticketed me for an expired inspection...It had expired LESS THAN 24 hours on Friday and I got a ticket on Saturday.

I forgot the NYC Parking Violations Bureau and won. Very honorable of them.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

northstardc4m

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Only ever had 1 traffic ticket, red light Camera downtown Toronto, King and Bay, i was making a left (on green, had to wait for a streetcar to clear), got pinged AFTER the turn, argued it with the phone number on the back, voided and expunged on the phone after the guy looked at the photo... I have a funny feeling not the 1st time at that intersection either.

Otherwise... so far clean record.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Daleaholic

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Parking ticket...
The ticket ran out at about 1pm, I got back to the car at 4pm having forgotten. £40 fine  mad 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Fly2HMO

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm

$1700 for felony speeding, and supposedly invalid insurance. It was a very phony ticket though, and that cop in particular has been known for being overzealous. The charges were dropped and only a normal speeding ticket fine was left for $100 or so, but not until after I paid $2000 for a lawyer. Yes I hated the fact the lawyer would cost more than the ticket, but I can't afford having a felony in my record If I'm a pilot.

The only other ticket before that was $130, for doing felony speeding 75mph in a 25 zone, but the cop was lenient (heck it was 2am, I was sober and it was a rural road and the cop and I were the only vehicles in miles) so he didn't actually give me the felony charges. And the "normal" speeding ticket charges got dropped by going to traffic school.

I've had two warnings since then, for mildly speeding.

Yes I have a severe lead foot syndrome but It doesn't help I live in a town where the limits are ridiculously slow and the roads are infested with old people, so it gives the illusion I drive at light speed compared to everyone else. On bigger cities though with higher speed limits and better drivers I usually drive about 15mph or so over the traffic flow. Heck I've passed cops in large cities going faster than traffic flow and they've left me alone. The cops out here in PRC have a reputation for being run like the Gestapo.

I've bought a radar detector since. It paid for itself in less than a week.

[Edited 2009-01-28 10:45:41]

[Edited 2009-01-28 10:52:05]

flymia

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 6):
Heck I've passed cops in large cities going faster than traffic flow and they've left me alone

Yea, city cops are not all about catching speeders much, they will set up speed traps once in a while but unless your doing somehting really stupid they have better things to do than catch somone going 10 over on a street of 15 over on a highway. Most of the time I see a city cop on the highway they are already driving 20 over anyway.

Quoting PlateMan (Thread starter):
Speed Camera

I think both Speed and Red Light cameras should be illegal, Thanfully they have any speed cameras in Miami but I also live in DC but I still have never seen a red light camera.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Cadet57

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:06 pm

So far just one speeding ticket. 85mph in a 65, $294.00. Other than that, one written warning, and a speech by a friendly MA State trooper who lectured me on blowing cars off the line and making it noticeable by leaving a nice turbo whistle  angel 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

smcmac32msn

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Speeding 80 in a 65 between Beaver Dam and Columbus, WI in 2002. It was $151 which was appropriate since that was the highway it was on. Speeding 42 in a 25 - fought it, and won (kinda). I was about 10th in city court, 8 of the 9 in front of me were caught doing 15-17 over immediately after a right turn. I pled not guilty, went and talked to the DA and bitched him and the cop out that maybe there really aren't speeders here, that the equipment is the problem and they agreed to reduce it to a defective spedometer.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Fly2HMO

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 7):
I still have never seen a red light camera.

Heh, PRC has 3 of them. And this is a town of 50k people at most. PHX is infested with them. It doesn't help that RedFlex (the company that runs them) is based in SDL. I don't have a problem with the red light cameras, which is the only thing they had in IAH (speed cameras are illegal in TX, damn you lucky texans) I've never run a red light and don't plan on it anytime soon, but I hate the ones in PRC which are red light AND speed cameras.

They seriously makes things more dangerous. Stupid people slam their brakes right before they reach the cameras, I wish they bothered to do the research and read they don't go off until 11mph over the posted limit (I've tested them myself).   

And interestingly enough the only times I've seen accidents in that intersection were AFTER they put the cameras. Coincidence? I think not.

I fortunately am immune to said cameras, I've been flashed lots of times (not purposely), but I don't get any tickets. And no I don't use the stupid license plate covers and glossy spray that don't work. Don't ask me how because then I'd have to kill you   (It's a no brainer, seriously)

[Edited 2009-01-28 11:23:50]

cainanuk

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:30 pm

None in the last couple of years but in my past...

In California...

Exhibition of Speed (doing burnouts)
Speeding

In Utah...

Commercial Vehicle logbook violation

In Tennessee...

And in Virginia...

Speeding
Posession of illegal equipment in a commercial vehicle (radar detector / police scanner)
Cainan Cornelius

jfk69

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 pm

All in NY:

1 red light camera: $125

2 cell phone while driving: $105 & $125.....On one, I was pulled over by a cop crouching behind his cop car at a stop sign......I suck

Chi-town

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm

- 65 mph in 45 mph (North bound LaGrange Rd. Orland Park, IL) Orland Park Police
- 83 mph in 65 mph (North bound Interstate 55 Channahon, IL) Illinois State Police
- 40 mph in 25 mph (East bound 195th St. Mokena, IL) Mokena Police

greasespot

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

About 250-300 in parking tickets every year....(will continue to get them).

Lots of speeding tickets over the years...Hey I have been driving for 24years

No tickets in the last 2.5 years...  wink 

Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Springbok747

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Three tickets so far, no tickets since May 2006  Wink

1. Parking at an expired meter - $15 fine.
2. Speeding 145 km/h in a 130 zone - $150 fine
3. Speeding - 130 km/h in a 110 zone - this was crap because I was the only car on the road, guess the cop dropped out of the sky - it was the middle of nowhere (literally) - on the Stuart Highway. Got a $200 fine for that.
אני תומך בישראל

ZBBYLW

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:10 pm

I have paid about $1500 in speeding tickets in the last few years. One being a 349 dollar one in Washington state, (60 in a 30) but the worse I have was an excessive speed on the Coquihalla highway (well on the connector) , got got doing 159 in a 100 but I was slowing down from well over 200kph so I got off REAL lucky there! At 61 kph and over it is a suspension and impounding of the car. I was also fortunate enough to get a warning for going 170kph in a 100.
Keep the shinny side up!

sunshine79

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm

I've only ever had two speeding tickets. One in 2002, 3 points and a £60 fine, and the same in 2004.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

kmh1956

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 12):
2 cell phone while driving:

One of my pet peeves. Put down the phone and drive!

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 14):
Hey I have been driving for 24years

Shouldn't you know better by now?

Slow down, people!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

vikkyvik

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 am

I've gotten a grand total of zero moving violations.

That said, I've been pulled over for speeding 3 times, but got a warning each time.

Gotten a few parking tickets here and there....including one a few weeks ago that I guess I really should pay....

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
So far just one speeding ticket. 85mph in a 65, $294.00.

Which highway was that on?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Cadet57

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Which highway was that on?

I-91 Down in Enfield, CT state police arent any fun, them and their stupid unmarked cars. hmph.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ajd1992

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 am

Quoting CainanUK (Reply 11):
In California...

Hey, least if you're going to get a ticket, get it for something fun  Wink

I've never been caught speeding in a car, as I can't drive because I'm only 16. I was however, 3 months or so back pulled over because me being the yob I am ( Wink) decided to go hammering down a hill on a bike, "slightly" pissed (In reality, quite a bit more than slightly..). Policeman in a car saw me laughing like an escaped mental patient half way down, and I got a stern talking to. Whether I was technically speeding or not I'll never know because he didn't radar gun me (It was a 30 zone, a residential area) but obviously being drunk and being on the road (car, bike, scooter, push bike, whatever) is still a criminal offence. He did let me off though because I didn't look that drunk, and I didn't have any booze on me (Small wonder where that went....  Silly) and I didn''t have any warnings or anything previously. I was quite drunk though, and just after he left the 7 or so cans of lager/cider i'd had over the previous few hours decided to see the light again... all down my ex girlfriends driveway. Her parents (as well as her) weren't happy with me and made me hose it off. God knows how I managed to stay on the bike, because by this point the alcohol had really hit me.

In all seriousness though... don't ride a bike drunk. It doesn't end well, caught by the police or not. I ended up nearly getting hit by a truck at the bottom of the road. Could have ended a LOT worse than it did considering 45 tons of metal at 50mph = pretty much dead.

flanker

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 am

I've had around 10 tickets (parking/speed/tint etc)

the worst one was back in 2005 when i got clocked doing 120mph in a 55. I was going about 130 but i got clocked at 120.

It was a 175$ dollar ticket, the third in 2-3 months.

I got 1 year probation,10 days of community service and i got to keep my DL. It also went off my record if i was good for that year, which i was.

I had a blast going that fast and would love to do it again in a safe enviornment. I go that fast all the time when i go flying, but its different in a car!

ACDC8

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 am

I used to get lots of speeding tickets but my last one was in 2005. As for parking tickets I've only had one years ago. Its usually a $25 fine, but if you pay it within 24hrs it reduces down to $5 (thats a deterrent, huh?). I've only gone through 2 stop signs in my life and never a red light, at least not by accident  Wink

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 15):
but the worse I have was an excessive speed on the Coquihalla highway (well on the connector) , got got doing 159 in a 100

Being a 100km/h zone on the Connector, I would assume that would have been between Merritt and the turn off for HWY 5a down to Princeton or coming down Drought Hill by Peachland (which is actually 90km/h)? One place the cops really like to hang out is on the straight stretch between Loon Lake and Elkhart and at the bottom of the hill coming down from Brenda Mine. The Connector is such a well designed road, such a waste that the speedlimit is only 110km/h, same goes for the Coquihalla itself between Merritt and Kamloops. On a side note, have you noticed that there seem to be more RCMP up there since they took the toll off? Might just be my imagination, but in the last couple of years I've seen very few up there and on my last few trips including this past weekend there are at least 6 or 7 now.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):
I've bought a radar detector since.

I've been using a radar detector for 11 years now and have since only had two speeding tickets compared to 2-3 a year. The first time I forgot to turn it off and the second time I was in a rental car so I didn't have it with me.

My current Beltronics has been acting up lately though, it keeps self calibrating every 10-15 minutes so I don't really trust it anymore. Guess its time to look for a new one. What are you using?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ZBBYLW

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 22):
Being a 100km/h zone on the Connector, I would assume that would have been between Merritt and the turn off for HWY 5a down to Princeton or coming down Drought Hill by Peachland (which is actually 90km/h)? One place the cops really like to hang out is on the straight stretch between Loon Lake and Elkhart and at the bottom of the hill coming down from Brenda Mine. The Connector is such a well designed road, such a waste that the speedlimit is only 110km/h, same goes for the Coquihalla itself between Merritt and Kamloops. On a side note, have you noticed that there seem to be more RCMP up there since they took the toll off? Might just be my imagination, but in the last couple of years I've seen very few up there and on my last few trips including this past weekend there are at least 6 or 7 now.

Yup you know the spot, I usually took Jazz or AC to YVR so I was not well versed with the locations of the speed traps. I left my radar detector in my other car, and that was that. It is a well designed road and it really is to bad about the low speed limits. I only drove the Coquihalla once since the tolls were closed and there was only 1 radar trap (I did not get caught). But they do have to get there money somewhere dont they?
Keep the shinny side up!

Fly2HMO

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 22):
What are you using?

Passport 8500 X50. Best investment I've ever made. Several acquaintances had other brands, including Beltronics, Cobra etc and my best friend had this Passport. I was really impressed with its performance. Sometimes it may seem too sensitive, especially in roads infested with automatic door openers, but you get used to it quick as I'm sure you know. On my last roadtrip between IAH and PHX I was doing (well, lets just say fast  Wink ), on I-10 in NM headed west back to AZ. I picked up a cop about 5mi out coming in the opposite direction. That thing was beeping way before I ever saw him. Even driving around here in PRC it picks up cops right around bends, blind corners and behind shallow hills over a mile away. I picked it up used but in mint condition and relatively new (in age) at ebay for just over half the retail price. I was desperate to get one right after the $1700 ticket ordeal and needles to say my wallet was running thin. But I would've gladly paid full retail price had I had the chance and it still would've paid for itself in a week.

This website has good reviews, the Passport 8500 was always one of their favorites and even outperformed the new 9500 in some instances:
http://www.radartest.com/

ACDC8

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 23):
Yup you know the spot,

HWY 97 by the airport right across from UBC-O has been a hotspot over the last couple of weeks, so take care if you're in the area  Wink

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
Sometimes it may seem too sensitive, especially in roads infested with automatic door openers, but you get used to it quick as I'm sure you know.

Better to be over sensitive than under sensitive Big grin

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
This website has good reviews, the Passport 8500 was always one of their favorites and even outperformed the new 9500 in some instances:
http://www.radartest.com/

Ok, I'll take a look at the site and into the 8500. Thanks for the tip  bigthumbsup 
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:13 am

Only ticket I've ever had was last year. I took my Grandad out of hospital for a few hours and was in the Wellington CBD, when he started complaining of leg pains. I tried to find a disabled car park as I had his disability card in my car, but couldn't find one, so I parked in a loading zone (this was at 4.30pm on a saturday when shops were closing during winter), put his card on my dash board, got out his wheel chair, took him inside the shop and 3 mins later, came out to find a $40 ticket on my windscreen.

I appealed the ticket on the grounds that there weren't any disability parking spots near by (it was in he CBD), but the Wellington City Council rejected the appeal. Under New Zealand law, a parking warden has got to allow double the time for a vehicle displaying a disabled card. Knowing how arragant the Wellington City Council is towards parking tickets, the council are cruel towards disability card holders. I'm considering going on a TV programme which fights for consumers rights.

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 20):
Quoting CainanUK (Reply 11):
In California...

Hey, least if you're going to get a ticket, get it for something fun

If your caught doing burnouts here, then you loose your car and licence for 28 days and appear in court on dangerous driving charges.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

cainanuk

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 26):
If your caught doing burnouts here, then you loose your car and licence for 28 days and appear in court on dangerous driving charges.

In my defense, I was 18, it was the 80's ( I even had a kick ass mullet) and I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO. I had a white trash reputation to uphold and it would have been rude not to!
Cainan Cornelius

co777er

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am

Never pulled over in my life. I've been in the car for an MIP and numerous speeding tickets, but I've never had a cop write me up.

tpa36r

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Not a single ticket. Florida has its perks ya no...

Now talking about cops going over, when I lived in IL the state police would blow your doors off going down the interstate...while I was doing 70!

AustrianZRH

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 pm

2 tickets 7 Euro each for parking without a parking ticket (paying everytime i parked there would've cost me 150 Euro the least Big grin).

Plus once overlooked the city entrance panel in Ravensburg, Germany. A camera got me with 58 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. 25 Euros...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

helvknight

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:05 pm

3 times,

Twice doing 56-58 in a 50 - 40 CHF
Once doing 132 in a 120 (Autobahn) - 60 CHF

Besically here you get 5 km/h (or 3 in Zürich with the new laser cameras) then they fine you. For about 10 Km/h over it's just a pay and go faster tax.

If you're caught seriously taking the mick (> 35 over) prepare for an income related fine (heavy) and possibly a few weekends in the local slammer.

Someone who was caught doing 239 in a 120 (according to the news) is going t find this out the hard way.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

flybaurlax

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 am

Up until the summer I had never gotten a ticket before. My first ticket came when I was driving through Colorado to Colorado Springs to visit a friend on my trip from Indiana to LA. In some little town I got pulled over doing "50" in a 35, although I must have been doing about 75 or so. The cop was nice, and I made a deal with them once I got back into LA. The fine was $110 or something like that, which was surprisingly small. They wouldn't submit it to the Colorado DMV if I didn't get a ticket between then an August (this was about May 5 or so).

Then, on June 28, after dropping 2 college friends off at Pt. Mugu NAS (they're in NROTC) I got a ticket in Camarillo on my way back to the valley for doing 75 in a 50, but he wrote me up doing 68. That cost me $230, although I did get to do online traffic school for $20 which let me whipe the ticket off my record.

Then AGAIN on July 1st, I was on my way to the Santa Monica hospital to see if I could get this boot off my leg and see if there was any damage done to my leg after stupid kids pushed me in the pool and banged my leg on the concrete ledge. I was unfamiliar with the area and made a 30 second phone call to the Dr.'s office to see which entrance I go in, and then all of a sudden there is a motorcycle cop pulling me over. He ticketed me for not using my hands free device, and it was the 1st day the law was in effect. I was furious! He even noted that I had a motorcycle license and hoped I didn't have the boot on for an injury from the bike, ha! Anywho, ticket came to $97, even though it's supposed to be $20 for the first offense, but then they tack on all these stupid fines and fees. Knock on wood haven't been pulled over since.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

don81603

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 am

3 speeding in a month (as a cab driver) $250, and the right to walk for the next month
$115 in Wawa ON. He said I was doing 125 in a 90 zone. Would've cost more to fight it than pay it, even though the truck is governed at 105, and I was climbing a hill.
$271 in California 110km/h in a 90 km/h or 70 mph in a 55 mph. Again climbing a hill in a truck governed at 105 (65 mph)
$198.00 in South Dakota over weight on a set of axles. Damn hanging meat loads.
$350 in California. Smoking in the truck (workplace)
$40 parking ticket (expired meter)
$300 excessive idling in New York City. Hey, it was 0F (-18C), and I was sleeping in the truck.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ManuCH

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 am

I got caught by a speed trap on a mountain road at 56 km/h on a 50 (40 CHF fine, about $30);
then another speed trap on the highway, 140 km/h on a 120 (250 CHF fine, about $190);
I ran through a red light, although not on purpose (I just got my license back in 1995 and wasn't too experienced - the traffic stopped in the middle of an intersection and instead of waiting, I just joined everyone else behind - 100 CHF fine, about $75);
I got caught talking on the cell phone, another 100 CHF.

That's about it, not too bad, 4 tickets in 13 years...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 am

I just opened my Manilla folder of Love courtesy of the Police Forces of America especially for this thread.

Ticket #1 - Reckless Driving (changing lanes too quickly) / Schaumburg, Illinois $95
Ticket #2 - Speeding, 55mph in a 40 / Hoffman Estates, Illinois $75
Ticket #3 - Right turn on Red Light (stopped for 1.5 seconds instead of 3) Camera. Chicago, Illinois $75
Ticket #4 - Speeding 82 in a 55 / Elk Grove Village, Illinois $95
Ticket #5 - Speeding 45 in a 35 / Hoffman Estates, Illinois $75
Ticket #6 - Speeding 61 in a 40 / Chicago, Illinois $95
Ticket #7 - Failure to stop at stop sign / Daytona Beach, Florida $140
Ticket #8 - Speeding 92 in a 65 / Elgin, Illinois $145
Ticket #9 - Failure to have highway sticker / Zurich, Switzerland (never paid, US plates..car since re-registered)
Ticket #10 - Speeding 130km in a 100kmh zone / Kielce, Poland (never paid, US plates...car since re-registered) around $180USD
Ticket #11 - Speeding 50 in a 40 / Schaumburg, Illinois $75
Ticket #12 - Failure to have highway sticker / East Czech Rep. (Never paid, US plates...car since re-registered, ticket sent to Poland address)
Ticket #13 - Failure to have EU regulations lights / Warsaw, PL almost $100 (On imported Jeep)
Ticket #14 - Speeding 38 in a 25 / Palatine, Illinois $75

Online Driving School - 4x. 2x4hrs in IL, 1x8hrs in IL, 1x4hrs in FL
Driving School - 5x - 2x4hrs in Polish in Chicago, 2x4hrs in English in Chicago, 1x8hrs English in Chicago
Probation - 3 months by Circuit Court of County County District 3 - Rolling Meadows

0 Accidents (2x got rear ended, both time by an Asian woman who went right under my SUVs hitch)
-No tickets ever on driver record.

Thats all, although Im pretty sure Ive thrown out at least 1-2x tickets in Poland to the trash on US plates following car re-registry

Good thread for me to come back to after my lengthy vacation

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 am

Also if we are to add Parking tickets then:

-3-4x in Schaumburg in High School
-1x in Chicago which turned into me towed near a strip club.
-10-15x Parking tickets all over Poland and Lithuania on US plates.

fraspotter

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:28 am

I have only been pulled over once in my entire life (though I've only been driving for 2 years). It was for speeding going 85 mph in a 65 mph zone. The fine was $200. This was in Grimes County, Texas on State Highway 30 between College Station and Huntsville... It was in October '08.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

MCOflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 am

Here are mine:

One reckless driving ticket in October 2004 for one accident
I took driving school so it is erased off my record
One written and two verbal warnings for parking in staff area at my local college

For radar devices,
I'm on a limited budget so I am going to need one under $100. Whats your best advice? It seems that I get good mpg at the 60mph range.

Don,

Are you still truck driving? Those idling tickets must hurt and I would have took that one to court.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

SQ948

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:58 am

I only got one traffic ticket so far:

65km/h in a 50km/h zone: 25€

don81603

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 38):
Don,

Are you still truck driving? Those idling tickets must hurt and I would have took that one to court.

Yup, still driving. The company paid that ticket, as well as the over weight ticket in South Dakota. The only thing that saved my butt there, was I had a ticket from a certified scale that showed me legal before I got the over weight, but they only certify the gross weight, not axle weights. But the guy at the scale couldn't care less, he still wrote me up.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

MCOflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:05 pm

Well, glad to hear that. My dad payed mine as my employer was responsible for that ticket since
A) they refused to let me go when I sick
B) my employer was more concerned about themselves
C) My health insurance covered my ambulance ride and I was in enough grief

Keep in mind I was 17 and was a minor.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Sabena332

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:29 pm

I am driving motorized vehicles since almost 17 years now but I only got four traffic tickets so far. One for parking in a no-parking zone and three others for being slightly over the speed limit. When I want to drive fast, I simply do it on a part of the Autobahn without speed limit.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LFutia

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 pm

I got a ticket in May of 2007 for doing a left turn from the right lane - Park Ridge, IL
and 5 days later a rolling stop - Skokie, IL

I did online traffic school and then had to go to traffic school.
Leo/ORD

Fly2HMO

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 38):
I'm on a limited budget so I am going to need one under $100. Whats your best advice?

Save up for a better one. I've seen how those cheap $100 and even $200 radar detectors sold at places like Wal-mart perform, they suck big time. Let your piggy bank grow some more.

Or, use Ebay, though be careful from who you buy it. I got my radar detector there for $180 instead of $300. Mint condition and pretty much brand new. I've had for almost two years now and it's been a lifesaver. See my earlier posts above.

bwest

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:51 am

Got a €50 fine last year for forgetting to put on my seatbelt (I always always do that... except that one day where I was completely stressed out).

Another €50 for turning left where it was forbidden, 3 or 4 years ago. I had done that numerous times before there and never ever saw the sign not allowing it. My own fault I guess...

A speeding fine around 10 years ago... can't remember how much it was. I think 6000 Belgian francs, around €150.

And ofcourse numerous parking tickets. Once a private company fined me. I never payed, and if they would've sent the fine to my home, I would've gotten a lawyer for breaking of privacy laws. (ah, badly written laws...)

I know some of my colleagues flash their badge when they get pulled over. I've never done that, I just don't think it's right.

RGElectra80

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Haven't had one since May 2004 but I racked up a couple until then, in chronological order:

-Running a red light on 15th and Lavaca St. in Downtown Austin. I was yielding traffic to turn left and when my arrow had just turned red I went for it. There was a cop at that intersection! D'oh!

-Doing 12mph over the limit on Loop 1 in North Austin. Usual speed trap stuff.

-Doing 17mph over near Gallup, NM. Just got distracted and didn't see the speed limit had changed.

-Doing 27mph over the limit in Gillespie County, TX on US-290. It's a two-lane highway and fun, I had no clue there would be a cop wedged in there somewhere. I had driven there before and would have never guessed there is any room out there for trapping. I guess I learned my lesson after that $220 doozy because I haven't gotten a ticket of any kind since.

I have driven my car, literally, all over this country and the one in NM was the only one I got outside of central Texas.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

aero145

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 45):
I had done that numerous times before there and never ever saw the sign not allowing it.

Are you talking about this sign?

If so, I also didn’t notice it straight away when I moved to Europe. In Iceland, you’re shown what you MAY not do, but here, you’re shown what you SHOULD do.

Smile

itsjustme

Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:23 am

Been driving 24 years. No cites (although I have been stopped half a dozen or so times) and no crashes. Guess I have been fortunate.

dallasnewark

Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 am

I've been driving for 17 years and only got caught once for speeding due to the Laser Radar/Jammer getting defective due to the summer heat of Texas.

42 miles over the speed limit in Plano, Texas, paid 255 dollar fine, which is very inexpensive.
I have a New Jersey driver's license, so it didn't registered with the insurance company.

Generally traffic fines in the NorthEast are ridiculously expensive when compared to the ones in the South
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F