Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dreadnought
Topic Author

GOP Is Cleaning House

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Republican source says newly elected Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele has requested the resignations of the entire RNC staff and signaled a dramatic turnover at the party organization.

Some aides may be retained, though Republicans are under the impression that Steele will lead a large-scale changeover in the institution, which has about 100 staffers.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi.../0209/Resignations_at_the_RNC.html

Good news for the GOP - hopefully a sign of putting conservatives back in control after 8 years of neoconservative/liberal-lite wilderness.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

JakeOrion

RE: GOP Is Cleaning House

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Finally a step in the right direction. Now the trick is to rebuild the Republican image that the so called "Republicans" of the last 8 years tarnished.

I'm starting to like Michael Steele more and more. Hopefully, he and his staff will not be corrupted by the oh so addicting drug called OPM (Other People's Money.)
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

lowrider

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:42 pm

We shall see. He has a long way to go before I am convinced that this isn't just more of the same. The last guy that tried to sell me on "Change" isn't impressing me, so far.
Proud OOTSK member

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
hopefully a sign of putting conservatives back in control after 8 years of neoconservative/liberal-lite wilderness

Let's hope not.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Tugger

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 pm

My main hope is that he removes the religious zealots and their dictum's from the party. It's one thing to aspire to hold to the morals of the nation, its another to kowtow to a religion.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

dxing

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:02 pm

If he adheres to looking for solid fiscal conservatives and national security conscious types I'm all for him. If he seeks to promote those that go along to get along, he's no better than the person he replaced.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Confuscius

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 4):
My main hope is that he removes the religious zealots and their dictum's from the party.

I doubt it. The Religious Right and social conservatives constitute "The Base" ( or "al-Qa'ida" in Arabic) of the GOP.
Ain't I a stinker?

Aaron747

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:02 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 6):
The Religious Right and social conservatives constitute "The Base" ( or "al-Qa'ida" in Arabic) of the GOP.

A highly questionable comment given the both the tone of your words and the reality of the situation. The GOP has no idea what it's base really is at this point in time. Until the RNC can be run as a cohesive whole, that question will remain unanswered.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Yellowstone

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
A highly questionable comment given the both the tone of your words and the reality of the situation.

His translation is accurate, though. Kind of ironic, don't you think?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 6):

By the same logic you can call unions, welfare recipiants, and journalists as Democratic Al Qaeda?

Silly.

What we are looking for is a return to the GOP's conservative roots, particularly fiscal responsibility, scepticism of government competance, and desire to keep government limited to essential services.

Elite

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:23 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 9):

What we are looking for is a return to the GOP's conservative roots, particularly fiscal responsibility, scepticism of government competance, and desire to keep government limited to essential services.

That is exactly what we need. House Republicans already see their defeat in both Presidential and Congressional Elections in 2008 as a sign that they were not conservative enough. Their response, however, was to first vote unanimously against the $890b stimulus plan proposed by President Obama.

FlyPNS1

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:28 am

But there's never been a Republican president who has done the things you list above....not even Reagan who was fiscally irresponsible and loved expanding gov't.

Elite

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 11):
loved expanding gov't.

Reagan may have increased military spending by a lot, but I don't think he ever "expanded" government.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:48 am

But there's never been a Republican president who has done the things you list above....not even Reagan who was fiscally irresponsible and loved expanding gov't.

The Republicans never controlled Congress while Reagan was President. Congress controls spending and revenue.

WarRI1

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:49 am

What I am looking for as an Independant Voter is a Democrat or a Republican that I can vote for without a bad taste in my mouth.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Confuscius

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Silly.

Perhaps, but the GOP has the "Party of God" (or "Hezbollah") wing in the Religious Right.
Ain't I a stinker?

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 15):
Perhaps, but the GOP has the "Party of God" (or "Hezbollah") wing in the Religious Right.

Yes, and the Democrats have the loony left on their side, including terrorist sympathisors, eco-mentalists (even some eco-terroists), people who want the Southwest to become part of Mexico, and gay sado-masochist exhibitionists.

Do you really want to concentrate on the fringes, or shall we talk about what the principle constituencies?

Confuscius

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 16):
Do you really want to concentrate on the fringes, or shall we talk about what the principle constituencies?

I don't think the religious right is a fringe wing in the GOP. It was instrumental in electing Reagan in 1980 and George W. Bush in 2000.
Ain't I a stinker?

DocLightning

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 pm

I dunno, Sarah Palin was a religious nut-case who supported abstinence-only education when her own daughter got pregnant. She opposed any move to giving gays equal rights on no solid policy basis, but just because God told her so. And, she never said it, but I'm sure she would have supported anti-sodomy laws. She was pretty "fringe," and yet she would up with the VP nomination.

Small government does not tell people what to do in their bedrooms.

The GOP needs to reaffirm the First Amendment or they are doomed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MOBflyer

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):

Or understand and accept that they'll never get the likes of you, and continue as they have - with a largely Conservative Christian base and policy objectives that reflect that.

Tugger

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 5):
If he adheres to looking for solid fiscal conservatives and national security conscious types I'm all for him. If he seeks to promote those that go along to get along, he's no better than the person he replaced.

checkmark 

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 17):

I don't think the religious right is a fringe wing in the GOP. It was instrumental in electing Reagan in 1980 and George W. Bush in 2000.

Actually it is, the "religious right" is typically credited with about 2-4% of the vote, an important and key swing vote. This is where they have made a big difference is the last few elections where the vote has been close. During this past vote about 40% of the religious right folk voted for Obama. The most important thing about the religious right is that they do get out a vote, especially if there is an issue that piques their membership.

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 19):

Or understand and accept that they'll never get the likes of you, and continue as they have - with a largely Conservative Christian base and policy objectives that reflect that.

Religion and government do not belong together, this has been proven many times the world over. Sure follow your morals, be religious, ask God what is the best way to vote, but once you bring religion into government (not politics so much but into the governing actions of the nation), democracy, politics in general, and society begins to fail.

I am a Republican but I do not follow or support anyone who wants to bring personal religious arguments into a discussion to convince me why we should do something. If you can't say it as a value that is about the nation without bringing your religion into then you (a politician) should rethink your statement. Government should be smaller, stay out of peoples lives as much as possible, create a society that gives everyone a fair chance to live their life effectively, and leave churches and religions alone to do what they do best: Lead and advise their followers on how to best live their lives.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

FL787

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:02 pm

I dunno, Sarah Palin was a religious nut-case who supported abstinence-only education when her own daughter got pregnant. She opposed any move to giving gays equal rights on no solid policy basis, but just because God told her so. And, she never said it, but I'm sure she would have supported anti-sodomy laws. She was pretty "fringe," and yet she would up with the VP nomination.

Yes, first order of business for Steele should be to lock up Palin and make sure she never runs for president. And thats from a republican.

N174UA

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 14):
What I am looking for as an Independant Voter is a Democrat or a Republican that I can vote for without a bad taste in my mouth.

I have a feeling you'll be looking for a long time to come...hope you find it.

To me, the best way back for the GOP is to stay at arms-length from the necons and religious far right. Focus only on fiscal conservatism, by hammering away on this non-stimulus package that awards those who don't pay taxes, and punishes those who do.

If things don't improve in the economy in the next 6-months to a year, the public is going to start wondering where their "change" is and become dissatisfied with what they bought last November. While I don't expect them to retake Congress anytime soon, I think the GOP will win back some seats next November.

MOBflyer

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Quoting FL787 (Reply 21):
Yes, first order of business for Steele should be to lock up Palin and make sure she never runs for president. And thats from a republican.

I'm sorry the media had such an influence on your perception of this intelligent and gifted potential leader.

Klaus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 22):
by hammering away on this non-stimulus package that awards those who don't pay taxes, and punishes those who do.

Actually, the mess you're in right now is largely due to excessively stimulating "those who pay taxes" (or who at least should)...!

[Edited 2009-02-07 14:26:15]

MOBflyer

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
Actually, the mess you're in right now is largely due to excessively stimulating "those who pay taxes" (or who at least should)...!

And how on EARTH do you come up with that conclusion?!

Klaus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 25):
And how on EARTH do you come up with that conclusion?!

Tax cuts contributed to the "creation" of additional free capital which fueled the crazy excesses in the unregulated derivatives market.

A side effect was the inflation of ficticious capital in the banking system which was made available to the mortgage market (not least to create the illusion for the middle class and below that their falling wages didn't matter all that much).

Tax cuts shovel wealth upwards from the middle class and those below to the upper few percent, where it is used to a much larger degree for speculation and other unproductive purposes than it would have been by people who would actually stimulate the real economy by buying stuff with money they've earned in real jobs.

Taxes can of course be excessive; But the first order of the day should not be lowering taxes at all costs, but a realistic assessment of the real needs of the state and the tax level required for those. Preaching against government is all nice and well, but there is a difference between making the state work so well that taxes could in fact be lowered as a consequence and simply ruining it by choking off its finances and not giving a damn about the consequences.

MOBflyer

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):

That's a VERY interesting description of the origins of this problem, one that I do not subscribe to. I would also like to remind you that the vast vast majority of the Government's income comes from the wealthiest 20% of the country. 35% is entirely too high.

N174UA

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):

I guess I don't understand how people who don't pay taxes get a tax break. Am I missing something? While some don't know how to manage their money, many do, and those folks keep the economy going. Help them - not those who don't want to work and just expect a handout.

The more taxes are raised on businesses that provide jobs, the less likely they are going to have excess capital to hire new people and invest in their business.

But, I only see higher income tax rates in the coming years, and that will only prolong our current economic problems.

Klaus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 27):
That's a VERY interesting description of the origins of this problem, one that I do not subscribe to. I would also like to remind you that the vast vast majority of the Government's income comes from the wealthiest 20% of the country. 35% is entirely too high.

Oh, I'm fully with you there.

The state income should be distributed much more evently – by not letting the nation's wealth be concentrated so extremely among a such a tiny percentage of people at the top of the pyramid in the first place!  mischievous 

Tugger

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 27):
I would also like to remind you that the vast vast majority of the Government's income comes from the wealthiest 20% of the country. 35% is entirely too high.

I would like to go back to the tax levels that existed at the end of the Reagan years. What was hammered out worked well for the country, it fostered investment, taxed appropriately and allowed the country to prosper into the future. Clinton was a particular benefactor of this, and combined with his more centrist leanings and a Republican controlled congress that would allow nothing else, the budget and economy were becoming balanced.

As to the wealthiest paying most of the taxes, I say: "Of course they do!" When the median household income in the USA is $50,233 (2007 latest data), why is it any surprise that the wealthy not only do, but HAVE TO pay predominately more in taxes? A "fair" tax system is one that minimizes impact to lifestyle while maximizing benefits to the population in general (read: provides security, structure, infrastructure, insurance, etc) that is needed for the society to prosper and for people to be able to work effectively.

The biggest problem today for the Republican party is/has been their inability to say "No" to increases in bloat of the federal government. Their is too much bureaucracy that needs to be shrunk and the monies applied better but no one, so far Republicans included, has been willing to reduce (lets start with Congressional office staffs and perks and go from there).

Tugg

Klaus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 28):
The more taxes are raised on businesses that provide jobs, the less likely they are going to have excess capital to hire new people and invest in their business.

The tax code must certainly make sense in total, but a middle class that's simply in the process of falling off the wagon and infrastructure that's failing across the board brings nothing but crisis, no matter how little taxes the upper few are paying.

The middle class is where a nation really starts to prosper, and a healthy and efficient infrastructure not just feeds some businesses which build and maintain it, but it also makes the rest of the economy that much more efficient, reliable and resilient.

Right now, the USA has damaged and neglected its infrastructure on so many levels that a reconstruction is absolutely unavoidable if you don't want to fall back to a second-rate economy. Yes, catching up on this neglect is expensive, but arguing that it was "wasteful" to repair the basic essentials is completely bizarre. You haven't "saved" money on infrastructure in recent years, you've paid out the money through tax breaks and instead of reasonable costs for maintenance you now have much higher expenses for large-scale reconstruction.

No doubt, we've got our own shortsighted politicians an our own problems (our education system needs another overhaul, for instance), but ideological extremism which has led to shortsighted undermining of the entire economical basis on the scale seen in the US is fortunately not one of them.

DocLightning

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 19):

Or understand and accept that they'll never get the likes of you

I'd have voted for Ron Paul... Unfortunately he's viewed as "too liberal" because he believes in such anachronisms as science and personal liberty.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

usair320

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 12):
but I don't think he ever "expanded" government

He did add 1 cabinet department....

I think the GOP needs to atleast move somewhat to the center. We as a party need to bring back fiscal responsibility, while becoming more moderate on social issues. If the party continues to move to the right on social issues, more and more moderates like myself will leave the party (I even voted for Obama this year....). Face it, if the only cities we can win are Witchita and Tulsa we're dead. In my city of Philadelphia, Republican Registration has continued to decline to somewhere in the 20,000's. Also on Fiscal issues we need to promote lower taxes and limited government , but we also should not make signifigant cuts on Medicaid and other such programs, or else we may alienate many voters. We could promote limited Welfare, and Welfare to work programs, but not irresponsibly shift control of Welfare to the church. We also need to re-enstate the idea of limited government, which to me means many things. To me it means a more humble foreign policy, without all the pre-emptive wars. It means moving to a flat tax system on personal income. It means recignizing a State's right (No Dept. Of Education, let them choose on Gay Marriage ect ect) . It means getting government off your back. Returning control of th failing federal War on Drugs to the states (Not gonna' happen, just my personal belief). Allow choice on health care (yes, abortion included) and I could go on and on, but the party must change.

Confuscius

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:16 am

The bro might have his own skeletons.

FBI probes GOP national chairman's state campaign spending

By Paul West | Tribune Newspapers
February 8, 2009

WASHINGTON - Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele said Sunday that he will provide records from his 2006 Maryland Senate campaign to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in an effort to speed an apparent federal investigation into allegations of improper campaign spending.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...90209-steele-probe,0,3829778.story
Ain't I a stinker?

DocLightning

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 30):
The biggest problem today for the Republican party is/has been their inability to say "No" to increases in bloat of the federal government.

No, their biggest problem has been allowing religious megalomaniacs to take over the government. Invading two countries at once? One without any good reason? All while doing nothing at home?

That single waste of resources cost this country more than anything.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

dxing

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 am

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

I'm sorry, but to what party do the majority of the PC police identify with? You know, the ones that preach "tolerance" until they may have to tolerate a view point they don't agree with?

Quoting FL787 (Reply 21):
Yes, first order of business for Steele should be to lock up Palin and make sure she never runs for president.

I would say let her run and stand on her own merits. Anything less would be wrong.

But the first order of the day should not be lowering taxes at all costs, but a realistic assessment of the real needs of the state and the tax level required for those.

We are not a socialist state, just yet any way. The responsiblities of the State are outlined in the Federal and State Constitutions. Once those have been met everything else is optional.

Preaching against government is all nice and well, but there is a difference between making the state work so well that taxes could in fact be lowered as a consequence and simply ruining it by choking off its finances and not giving a damn about the consequences.

Yes, we want to continue to ignore the fact that every time tax rates are lowered, tax receipts go up. Of course how much money the government is taking in versus how much they decided to spend have not gone hand in hand in this country since 1965.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 34):
The bro might have his own skeletons.

All he should have to do is apologize and claim it was an honest mistake. Seem to work just fine for our new Treasury Secretary.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Klaus

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 36):
Yes, we want to continue to ignore the fact that every time tax rates are lowered, tax receipts go up.

Cause and effect are not always what you think they are.

Of course how much money the government is taking in versus how much they decided to spend have not gone hand in hand in this country since 1965.

All the more reason to make the state so effective that at some point expenditures can in fact be reduced. But much of what I hear from the right (that applies to the german right as well) is simply starving the state of resources and to hell with the consequences.

Elite

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
I'd have voted for Ron Paul... Unfortunately he's viewed as "too liberal" because he believes in such anachronisms as science and personal liberty.

Ron Paul was actually a great conservative candidate in many ways, but people felt that he was too messy with his “revolution” ideas and his libertarian views.

Ending federal income tax, ending gun control, strongly pro-life, against NATO and the UN – a lot of his views were good ideas.

dxing

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
Cause and effect are not always what you think they are.

In this case the effect of tax reduction has proven to cause higher tax receipts every time it has been tried in the past 60 years. The inverse is true as well. When the tax rates were raised the receipts over time went down. On the other side of the balance shee, we only have a couple of years in which the government actually reduced spending, the rest of the years, going all the way back to the mid-60's our only experience is in spending more regardless of how much was coming in in revenue.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
All the more reason to make the state so effective that at some point expenditures can in fact be reduced. But much of what I hear from the right (that applies to the german right as well) is simply starving the state of resources and to hell with the consequences.

Which is a baiting statement since nobody on the right wants to starve the State and in calling for responsible reductions in taxes, which have proven beneficial to government each and every time they are tried, actually show they want the government to have more money. Hopefully if we can ever get that part straightened out we can begin to work on responsibly reworking the budget to exclude Social Security payments from the general budget and thereby start working towards an actual balanced budget that begins to pay down the nations debt.

Aaron747

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:24 pm

All he should have to do is apologize and claim it was an honest mistake. Seem to work just fine for our new Treasury Secretary.

If memory serves, the above strategy has worked for just about every slimeball to emerge from Wall Street investigations of late, including our new Treasury Secretary, who has been busy provoking the Chinese at a time when we can least afford it  Yeah sure
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WarRI1

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
No, their biggest problem has been allowing religious megalomaniacs to take over the government

I can agree with you on that one. Their religious views do not belong in a parties doctrine, Democratic, nor Republican. Somehow it has crept into the Republican Party. All it should be is Freedom of Religion.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 38):
Ron Paul was actually a great conservative candidate in many ways, but people felt that he was too messy with his “revolution” ideas and his libertarian views.

Ending federal income tax, ending gun control, strongly pro-life, against NATO and the UN – a lot of his views were good ideas.

I kinda liked his domestic policy, but his foreign policy stance was too extreme. Basically, his stand on the rest of the world, friend and foe alike, was "f&$k 'em, f&$k 'em all".

slider

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Reagan had to go along with some deficit spending to get the structural tax cuts he wanted.

This is very well documented across the board, and also at a time when the entire Congress was controlled by the Democrats. Reagan was very fiscally conservative but alas, didn't have the firepower to do what he sought. I'd say 100 months of consecutive continued economic growth due to tax cuts worked though.

I wish there would have been line item veto authority though. Something needed today!

Confuscius

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 43):
Reagan was very fiscally conservative but alas, didn't have the firepower to do what he sought.

Yours was a false prophet unlike our current Messiah.

Ain't I a stinker?

slider

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 44):
Yours was a false prophet unlike our current Messiah

LOL!

Well, you have your version, I have the truth. But I don't rely on ANY living person to be my "messiah"....unlike the Obama crowd that seems to adulate incessantly.

I left the GOP a long time ago.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 44):
Yours was a false prophet unlike our current Messiah.

Oh...My...God...

I'll be using that picture, LOL

usair320

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 38):

I voted for him in the Republican Primary. The only reason I supported Obama over Bob Barr (L) was simply to prevent Bush's third term (After all I supported Bush/Cheney in 2000, so I felt the country needed a more Humble approach to Foreign Policy). By 2012 Ron Paul will be too old to run again. Former New Mexico governor Gary E. Johnson (R) is who I would really like to run, but due to him being an activist of Pot legalization (Which I agree with) I don't even think he would get past New Hampshire.

WunalaYann

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 20):
Government should be smaller, stay out of peoples lives as much as possible, create a society that gives everyone a fair chance to live their life effectively,

I agree.

Now the biggest part of the job will be to define "a fair chance" and "to live one's life effectively".

I think most people think along the lines you expose, but I also think you will find many different opinions as to how to get there, and why.

Smile

MOBflyer

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 47):
but due to him being an activist of Pot legalization (Which I agree with)

WTF?! You'd like to see a guy run for president cause he's a proponent of pot legalization? Besides the fact that the president cannot due that by himself; that is an awfully stupid reason to hope a guy ascends to one of the most powerful positions in the world.