Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

austinairport
Topic Author

Windows 7 Beta?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Anyone Tried It?

Had it for about 3 days. It would memory dump, then reboot every, like, 10 minutes. So went back to old faithful Windows XP.
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

DeskPilot

RE: Windows 7 Beta?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting Austinairport (Thread starter):
Anyone Tried It?

Yes, been running it on a HP laptop since it was released. Very stable and nice features.

No crashes or issues at all.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

N867DA

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

I would get it but I don't think the hassle of uninstalling it is worth it. I believe the trial beta only lasts until August 1. For what it's worth I'm probably the only person in the state of Georgia who is 100% happy with Windows Vista.  Silly
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

captaink

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 am

I installed it couple weeks ago when it was released, ran it for a few days without any worries, but really as my second OS as Vista is my principal OS. Needless to say, I think Microsoft is on to something, it may be a decent OS when the final version is released, possibly less resource hogging than Vista.
Look Up

Phoenix9

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 3):
I think Microsoft is on to something, it may be a decent OS when the final version is released, possibly less resource hogging than Vista.

I quite agree. I have been running it on my 6 year old laptop without any problems since it came out. Surprisingly, its running faster than XP.

But don't get me started on Vista...I almost smashed my new laptop on the wall because of annoying crap in Vista. Dual core / 4GB RAM was running like a turtle....until I turned a lot of automatically starting crap / services off.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Brendan03

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:43 am

I was running WIndows 7 on my old Machine because I couldn't get Windows XP to install due to a problem with my motherboard.

I was running Windows 7 X64 on my new machine and it was runnning absolutely beautifully until one morning I turned the computer on and couldn't get the wireless to connect (Driver issue, More than likely Linksys's fault)

I have to say if you wanna make the effort, You'll probably get a nice reward out of it providing you don't have some fancy, unusual setup.

As far as BETA's go for OS's - This is probably the best I've seen in a long time and a very good indicator to how good the final product will be.

I'm already waiting to buy it.
Coolier than thou.

n234nw

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 am

The early beta's of Vista looked pretty cool too, but then look what we wound up with by the time it went RTM...

I'm hoping Windows 7 won't turn out the same way.

I've got it running on 2 laptops, 1 PC, and 3 Virtual machines at work, (mostly for our software engineers to test our product on), It runs much faster than vista does on the same laptop. I don't know how I feel about the new "Dock" yet, it might take some time to get used to.

Phoenix9

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 am

Micro$oft better let vista users download it for free! After the torture they were put through after spending so much money for Vista.....the users really deserve a break. Win 7 seems to be what vista could have been.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

mham001

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:20 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 4):
But don't get me started on Vista...I almost smashed my new laptop on the wall because of annoying crap in Vista. Dual core / 4GB RAM was running like a turtle....until I turned a lot of automatically starting crap / services off.

Was that a function of Vista or the manufacturer putting all the junk on it? I had the same issue with an HP notebook for a buddy. Vista was fine but I'll never buy HP myself after that.

ajd1992

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 am

I've just installed Vista and that's bad enough, I don't want anymore Microsoft crap on my PC than I already do.

I miss XP with a passion. I hate Vista with a lot of passion too  Silly I will say though, it does look nice, probably at the expense of performance unfortunately.

austinairport
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:15 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 3):
possibly less resource hogging than Vista.

yes  I agree. It actually ran well(leaving out the spontaneous shutting down for a second) on my resource deprived Slimline.  Big grin

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 9):
I've just installed Vista and that's bad enough, I don't want anymore Microsoft crap on my PC than I already do.

Another thing. I had all my Vista data backed-up onto an external hard drive anticipating the installation of Windows 7 to wipe my harddrive, but no. To my very pleasant surprise, the transition from Vista was SEAMLESS. Everything was how it should be. I lost NOTHING.  Smile
Took a reality check for me to actually realize that something GOOD actually came out of Microsoft.  Big grin

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 7):
Micro$oft better let vista users download it for free! After the torture they were put through after spending so much money for Vista.....the users really deserve a break. Win 7 seems to be what vista could have been.

You can get the BETA for free. Try it, if you like it. Pay for it.
 Smile
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Braniff747SP

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:13 am

Windows is terrible... Mac all the way!!!
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Klaus

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 am

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 10):
To my very pleasant surprise, the transition from Vista was SEAMLESS. Everything was how it should be. I lost NOTHING.  
Took a reality check for me to actually realize that something GOOD actually came out of Microsoft.

They finally managed to copy another one of the standard features of MacOS after how many years now...?  mischievous 

austinairport
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 12):

They finally managed to copy another one of the standard features of MacOS after how many years now...? mischievous

LOL. You got me there.  Big grin

Lumberton

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Quoting N234NW (Reply 6):
've got it running on 2 laptops, 1 PC, and 3 Virtual machines at work,

I'm running it virtually as well and like the clean presentation. I'm using virtualbox and my Dell Inspiron laptop (Vista HP) as the host. I can't get the thing to access the files on the host, though, so I can't (yet) try out the media player. This ain't an issue with Windows 7--probably the operator!

Any suggestions?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".