Dad: "What does 'financially' mean?"

faint 

gardermoen

RE: Boy Becomes A Dad...At 13

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 am

Did anyone else see the interview?

Reporter: "So what are you going to do financially?"
Dad: "What does 'financially' mean?"

LOL. Yes, had me cracking up. The poor kid can barely understand English properly yet knows how to stick it in!

DocLightning

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 am

Quoting Gardermoen (Reply 59):

LOL. Yes, had me cracking up. The poor kid can barely understand English properly yet knows how to stick it in!

Again, "Stupidity, when protected, breeds."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ManuCH

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 50):

Thank you for sharing these stories, they were really interesting. And good job for what you accomplished with "case 4"! I wish there were more docs like you around...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

gardermoen

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 am

And the plot takes on a Trisha/Jenny Jones/Jerry Springer twist..

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25057516-948,00.html

Kind of knew something like this just bound to happen..

OA260

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 am

Quoting Par13del (Reply 57):
so when she turns 16 the relationship has to cease at least sexually at least until he attains the age of 16, or she will be charged with statutory rape

Thats a very interesting point.

Quoting Gardermoen (Reply 59):
The poor kid can barely understand English properly yet knows how to stick it in!

Sadly its not uncommon amongst Kids in the UK today.

SOBHI51

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Seems the girl was sleeping with not less than 8 teenagers at the same time.Ok i am for freedom and everything but 8 boys at the same time makes the girl a W... And for sure a paternity test should be done.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

OA260

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 64):
And for sure a paternity test should be done.

A test must be done. This 13 year old might be having his life ruined for nothing.

JFKMan

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:33 pm

This is simply disgusting.
NYC

sunshine79

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:16 pm

I've just been reading that the boy is agreeing to a DNA test to prove that is his child after three other teenagers are claiming to be the father. The plot is thickening by the day with this story. The Jeremy Kyle Show is looming even closer now, lol.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2239272.ece
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

DocLightning

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 65):
I've just been reading that the boy is agreeing to a DNA test to prove that is his child after three other teenagers are claiming to be the father.

See what's going on here?

"But if I don't get her pregnant, how can I prove I had sex with her?"
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

757gb

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Shocking as this is, unfortunately there are so many cases we don't know about!
Reading through DocLightning's post gives us a glimpse, and that's just one account.

There are tons of pressure today towards freedom but very little towards the responsibility that comes along with that "freedom". And when somebody does act without responsibility most often they also want the easy way out from the consequences.

I suppose that besides a mistake that can occur, in most cases it has to do with dysfunctional families that do not transmit values to their children. I'm saying most cases because there are always exceptions.

It's pretty tragic that things happen that way, and the only thing one can hope is that maybe this will serve them in some ways to learn and grow. But that's a coin toss right now unfortunately.
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

G-CIVP

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I think this could turn out to be a false story. I doubt that the 13 year old boy is the father and apparently the mother has numerous relationships (well, I say relationships) with other young male teenagers her age. Roll on the DNA tests.

757gb

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 68):

I agree with you, however the baby is real, and the father will not be much older than 13 in any case. So it doesn't change things for the baby unfortunately (unless the real father is hiding, which in any case would make it worse). The stories about the mother are already making things much worse.
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

cumulus

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 pm

I laughed at the Sun newspaper video interview:-

Reporter: "How are you going to support the Baby Financially?".
Alfie (The Father): "I don't know what Financially means".

How much is this going to cost the State with Social Services monitoring them continually?
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Springbok747

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):
I believe that no individual under 18 should be permitted to raise a child.

Totally agree. They are considered too immature to cast a vote - so what makes them mature enough to raise a friggin' child?! BTW excellent post there Doc, a lot of insight into this stuff.

Quoting Gardermoen (Reply 60):
And the plot takes on a Trisha/Jenny Jones/Jerry Springer twist..

Meh..told ya it wasn't his. Still a sad story though. I can only imagine how desperate some of those boys must be if they want to go sleeping around with someone like her!! However, if the father is someone aged 18 or older, then no wonder he is hiding and passing off poor Alfie as the dad...he'll surely be in big trouble for having sex with a minor.
אני תומך בישראל

andz

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:30 pm

I see the UK's number 1 sleaze Max Clifford is involved, has that ass no morals?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

RussianJet

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 72):
has that ass no morals?

Nope, none. He has consistently shown as much.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MCOflyer

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Very good stories doctor. do your patients pay or it free service?

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

SOBHI51

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:18 pm

DocLightning ,

Thank you very much for a very interesting posting.It is surely an eye opener.
I agree with your opinion but i would like to add that only teenagers need advice but parents also.Seems this days parents are more occupied with day to day living they do not have time to speak to there children and sex,pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.Gone the days were the parents started the discussions about bees and birds.
Doctors can do so much,but the parents have a leading role in the sexual education of there children.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

DocLightning

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 74):

Very good stories doctor. do your patients pay or it free service?

In both New York and California, minors can apply for a "sensitive services" form of Medicaid that allows them to access these services for free. Not sure about other states.

The problem is that if a teenager comes in for confidential STI testing and uses their parents' insurance, the insurance company will send an Explanation Of Benefits to the parents and the parents will know that they just got billed for GC/CL, RPR, and HIV testing. So that's why it's done that way.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Flighty

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:03 am

In fact, over the course of 3 years, the boy brought a total of 4 girls to me and got them all on birth control. Think of what I accomplished as a pediatrician

It sounds like you both accomplished a lot.

ual777

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:04 am

This whole situation is just sad. Whatever happened to keeping it in your pants or waiting until you are married?

Even more shocking is that children can hide STD testing from their parents!
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

MYT332

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):
I believe that no individual under 18 should be permitted to raise a child.

Well that is your opinion but just thank god not everything you say goes! You're basically denying people the right to exist either at all or with their birth parents if the parents are 17 but hey if it's their 18th birthday then no problem? What exactly is that about? It's a sweeping generalisation and quite insulting to a lot of people. In regards to this case then I agree completely with OA260 and whilst, yes, 13 is a ridiculous age to have children, what you say may need tweaking ever so slightly.

I know you're a pediatrician but I too have been involved with children and their families of all ages and backgrounds since the early 1990's through fostering (whilst still a child myself) and I can tell you that whilst you may be on to a good thing with making young kids use protection and get checked out, some other things are quite absurd. I guess in a way you are more about trying to prevent the problem and have strong views about it where as I have been involved in addressing the problem in depth and to it's conclusion after it has occurred. As such I can tell you that with help from social services, as useless they may be appear at times, and a family close by, things work out. Family is the most important thing.

What amuses me about some of what you say is the fact that in the 1940's when my grandmother was evacuated to Wales from Liverpool she went with her elder and younger sisters (eldest 15, youngest 6) and whilst they all lived with a new Welsh family, the eldest sister was the one who they credit, still to this day, with looking after them. Apparently they weren't welcomed with open arms by this new family. Also my grandfather can reel off stories of how he was brought up mostly by his older brothers and sisters thoughout the 1930's and 40's. In fact the children in his family never really saw their mum and dad.

Don't misunderstand me though, I think 13 is a totally stupid age to have children but just don't underestimate what some under 18's can do. The world is a diverse and surprising place and you of all people should know that!
One Life, Live it.

lhr380

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 79):

wow

Amazing post, and agree 100% with what you have said.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

gordonsmall

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 am

in the 1940's when my grandmother was evacuated to Wales from Liverpool

Bloody scousers! Even at that time they were polluting the rest of the country with their thieving ways.

By the way, did you manage to acquire those nice split rim alloys I asked you for?  Wink
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

JoshSixtySeven

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:23 pm

As a few of you suspected, I'm of the belief this will turn out to be some elaborate hoax.

I find it shameful we live in a country where we have publications such as 'The Sun' who pander to the sort of mindless people who are willing to sell these type of stories to gain a few quid.

How about we insist on a more socially responsible media who criticise our pathetic government or issues that are of some importance, rather than fill our lives with stories of how some child got pregnant.

If I want to see stories and evidence of parents before the age of consent, I'll go to Scotland.
Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you...

BCAL

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Quoting JoshSixtySeven (Reply 82):
I find it shameful we live in a country where we have publications such as 'The Sun' who pander to the sort of mindless people who are willing to sell these type of stories to gain a few quid.

Am I alone in thinking that this story might encourage other young children to have babies so that they too can earn a small fortune by sellling their stories to the likes of "The Sun"?

This weekend the Press is reporting that other young boys, one under age 12 years, are now claiming to be the father of the kid, and the original claimant now has a publicist to handle his relations with the media. Also, the family live on state benefits totalling GBP 30,000 per year. Will the benefits agency deduct the family's earnings from the Press in determining their future eligibility for benefit?

Welcome to Blair's England where you are rewarded when you lie, cheat, or otherwise have a total disrespect for decency, honesty and hard work.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

JoshSixtySeven

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 83):
Am I alone in thinking that this story might encourage other young children to have babies so that they too can earn a small fortune by sellling their stories to the likes of "The Sun"?

No, you're not. It crossed my mind too.

The trouble with it all starts with the parents, as I'll try to illustrate here:

Firstly, you have a couple of adults who have a couple of children. They're total waster and rely on benefits from day one. I'm not on about genuine people who are on benefits for a legitimate reason, I'm on about the people who just don't care, they don't make an effort to find work and have no intention to ever do so: their existence, in their mind, is justified to be one of claiming from the state.

When their children reach an age where they can make a decision for themselves, they see mummy and daddy not working and general getting "easy money". What does the child do? Follow example of what the parents do, afterall, they don't know any better and they think it's acceptable because their parents do it.

Then you end up in a situation where the kids are selling drugs, commiting serious crime or just polluting society with the sort of rubbish stories 'The Sun' are willing to print. The more kids hear through the media of how degenerates like the ex Mrs Paul McCartney make money by selling tell-tales to the tabloids, the more they're going to look for their "slice" of the action.

in my opinion, the papers who print and encourage such rubbish are just as much to blame as the people who do it themselves.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 83):
Welcome to Blair's England where you are rewarded when you lie, cheat, or otherwise have a total disrespect for decency, honesty and hard work.

Sadly, you're right again.

I often deal with single mothers who have a child or two, but are good, honest and hard working people. Each month becomes a struggle to pay all the out goings and then still feed the kids.

One lady I've dealt with before couldn't get any benefits to help with her children. The failure called the CSA (Child Support Agency) couldn't make the father pay. She was in an average job earning about £20K.

Her local council, however, still found it appropriate to press charges against her because the help she receieved as payment on rent for her home was overpaid for six months by some nominal amount which was roughly £52. That's a Labour government for you, I suppose.

The point to my rant: this woman would have been better off going onto benefits, claiming everything be paid through the state. Infact, we worked it out one afternoon that she would actually have some cash to spare come the end of the month if this were the way.

It's a terrible failure of society, social responsibility and above all respect.
Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you...

oly720man

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Quoting JoshSixtySeven (Reply 84):
in my opinion, the papers who print and encourage such rubbish are just as much to blame as the people who do it themselves.

I do wonder who originally went to the media with this. If my daughter, or son, in years to come found themselves as parents to be at similar ages my first instinct would not be to go to the tabloids with the story. But then I'm not a benefit scrounger on the lookout for money at any cost.

I'm sure they were hoping for tie ins with Pampers, baby food companies, etc..... who would no doubt be queuing up to support underage sex, questions over paternity, etc.

And when baby Maisie grows up she'll be delighted to read her online history and the media storm associated with who might or might not be her father and that her birth was a byproduct of a teenage leisure activity. Or maybe she'll be another of the don't give a damn generation.

Romeo and Juliet it isn't.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 83):

It might encourage them, but the story's been done now and no newspaper's going to give the next one anywhere the same attention. Old news...... if you ain't the first you ain't anywhere.

And another thing. How often do we hear of names not released to protect the identities, especially when it comes to children? Why not in this case?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 78):
This whole situation is just sad. Whatever happened to keeping it in your pants or waiting until you are married?

As long as man has been alive, people have been having unwed sex. We are mammals, and mammals have urges and needs.

People aren't going to abide by a book written thousands of years ago when they're in the heat of the moment.. Sorry, just a reality.

Why? This is doctor-patient confidentiality, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

More children would end up in potentially life-threatening situations if they did not feel comfortable talking to their doctor without worrying that their doctor was going to talk to their parents.

It sounds like your line of thinking is sorta in line with about ancient times my friend.. times that have long been gone.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

scbriml

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 65):
I've just been reading that the boy is agreeing to a DNA test to prove that is his child after three other teenagers are claiming to be the father.

As a parent I would have to say that if a 15yo girl claimed to be pregnant by my 12yo son, the first thing I would do is demand a DNA test.

Quoting 757GB (Reply 69):
I agree with you, however the baby is real, and the father will not be much older than 13 in any case.

In which case one would have to ask the girl (and her parents), exactly what is she doing shagging 12-13yo boys?  Wow! If an 18yo boy was found to be shagging 15yo girls, the police would be very quick to step in. Given the current situation with a baby involved, there's little they can do other than shrug their collective shoulders.

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 85):
I do wonder who originally went to the media with this.

It could easily have been someone outside the immediate families looking to make a few easy £££s for bringing the story to the attention of the "gentlemen" of the press.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DocLightning

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 pm

As opposed to not getting tested because they're afraid that their parents will find out, so they keep on spreading the joy around to each-other?

Whatever happened to keeping it in your pants or waiting until you are married?

It never existed. That's why babies were left on the front steps of the Church back in the Middle Ages.

You're basically denying people the right to exist either at all or with their birth parents if the parents are 17 but hey if it's their 18th birthday then no problem? What exactly is that about? It's a sweeping generalisation and quite insulting to a lot of people.

And voting? Drinking? Consexual sex? Entering into contracts? Consenting for ones own general medical care? You get all that at 18. Raising a child is far more complex than any of those.

As long as kids raise kids, this will continue to happen.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

ual777

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 88):

It never existed. That's why babies were left on the front steps of the Church back in the Middle Ages.

And how often did that happen may I ask?

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 86):

As long as man has been alive, people have been having unwed sex. We are mammals, and mammals have urges and needs.

People aren't going to abide by a book written thousands of years ago when they're in the heat of the moment.. Sorry, just a reality.

We are mammals and we have NEEDS? What kind of thinking is that. How about I have future to think about? How about having a little discipline and fighting those urges...or is the rule of the day "if it feels good, do it" now?

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 86):

Why? This is doctor-patient confidentiality, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

More children would end up in potentially life-threatening situations if they did not feel comfortable talking to their doctor without worrying that their doctor was going to talk to their parents.

It sounds like your line of thinking is sorta in line with about ancient times my friend.. times that have long been gone

No. If the child running around and having to worry about catching an STD at 15 years old, then the parents have been failures. The parent has every right to know, and has the right to discipline the child accordingly.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 88):

As opposed to not getting tested because they're afraid that their parents will find out, so they keep on spreading the joy around to each-other?

See above.

Don't get me wrong guys, I haven't always kept it in my pants either but teaching children to be more responsible and to hold off is not a bad way to go.

ajd1992

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 89):

No. If the child running around and having to worry about catching an STD at 15 years old, then the parents have been failures. The parent has every right to know, and has the right to discipline the child accordingly.

How come it is shocking? At least here, anybody can have an STI test. You don't need to give a name, address or anything barring age. I was first tested for an STD at 2 weeks before my 16th birthday. Is that wrong? Granted, I only went so a friend wasn't going alone, and I ended up being talked into having it done (still a virgin at this point too...).

I've only ever had unprotected sex twice - and there was no risk of pregnancy, or at least a very tiny chance (The Pill was used in both cases) and the other 15, 20 odd times since I lost my virginity (19th of Jan) has been with a condom, even when I was drunk I managed to put one on.

My dad is not a failure with regards to sex. Sure, he wasn't exactly brilliant about it, and school taught me what I basically needed to know.

I don't see how parents have the right to know. Sexual health is a personal matter whatever age you are and sexual activity is definitely not something you talk about with your parents... It's an unwritten rule of teenagers. I'm sure you didn't talk about it with your parents.

Define "discipline" as well... is it like a "Bad Johnny! No premarital sex for you!" even if they were being as safe as possible? If Johnny had knocked the girl up, fair enough. If not... kinda unfair, especially at 15. Younger... I can see your point.

ual777

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:37 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 90):

Define "discipline" as well... is it like a "Bad Johnny! No premarital sex for you!" even if they were being as safe as possible? If Johnny had knocked the girl up, fair enough. If not... kinda unfair, especially at 15. Younger... I can see your point.

My point is that from 12-17 kids have enough to worry about without STDs and pregnancy in the equation. Parents do have a right to know because at those ages the brain is still developing and teenagers tend to make very dumb decisions. Parents are supposed to be there to help correct these issues.

When I say discipline it means having the common sense to control yourself instead of "raw dogin" it and getting someone pregnant or catching the "gift that keeps on giving."

There was a study done a while back I will have to look up that discussed the psychological effects of having multiple sexual partners on teenagers. I don't want to say something thats not true, but if I recall correctly many of those teens had lasting effects when it came to relationships because of it.

On a side note I find it humorous you remember what day you lost your virginity.

On another side note I have had 2 friends who have caught an STD. Ghonorrea is not pretty (although being able to make fun of your friend after going with him to the clinic is)...lol.

DocLightning

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:01 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 91):

On another side note I have had 2 friends who have caught an STD. Ghonorrea is not pretty (although being able to make fun of your friend after going with him to the clinic is)...lol.

And you are a blushing virgin?

You would make fun of a friend for getting gonorrhea?

So tell me:

Would you rather that a child: 1) Not get tested/treated for a disease until the symptoms got so bad that they were irreversible because he is afraid that his parents will find out, or 2) allow him to get tested and treated confidentially?

Those are your TWO CHOICES. "Keep his pants on" is not an option it's unrealistic. Teenagers have been having sex since teenagers were invented and short of castrating them all, they will continue to.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

fridgmus

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 am

Hey Doc,

You're a helluva guy, you know that? You have my utmost respect and admiration, especially the way you take care of your patients. I don't know if you realize the service you and your colleagues are providing our Great Nation. bigthumbsup 

Big thanks Doc, big thanks.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 75):

DocLightning ,

Thank you very much for a very interesting posting.It is surely an eye opener.
I agree with your opinion but i would like to add that only teenagers need advice but parents also.Seems this days parents are more occupied with day to day living they do not have time to speak to there children and sex,pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.Gone the days were the parents started the discussions about bees and birds.
Doctors can do so much,but the parents have a leading role in the sexual education of there children.

Well said my friend, well said. Both my Mom and Dad explained to my Sister and I on numerous occasions the "Birds and the Bees". And the long-reaching implications of ignoring sexual responsibility.

It's too bad I'm firing blanks (born that way), but sometimes it ain't so bad, especially when I'm in my "Superfly" mode!

Good posts, all!

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

ual777

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 92):

And you are a blushing virgin?

You would make fun of a friend for getting gonorrhea?

So tell me:

Would you rather that a child: 1) Not get tested/treated for a disease until the symptoms got so bad that they were irreversible because he is afraid that his parents will find out, or 2) allow him to get tested and treated confidentially?

Those are your TWO CHOICES. "Keep his pants on" is not an option it's unrealistic. Teenagers have been having sex since teenagers were invented and short of castrating them all, they will continue to.

I never said I was a virgin, and yes it was funny because he was stupid. Second those are not the only two options. Option 3: Kid catches something and tells his/her parents and then they help their child to be more responsible.

Lufthansa411

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 am

I think what happened here is a case of unawareness. I still remember in 5th grade having my parents sign a permission slip and being brought into an auditorium at school where we were shown a video about puberty and sex, and then a doctor answered questions about STD's, wearing condoms etc. I think it was good that it was done so young, and to virtually everyone. There was no real political agenda attached. Purely from a medical perspective. There was a lot of giggling, but a lot of learning too.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 83):

Welcome to capitalism, where the press will pay for a headline, decent, indecent or some of both as long as it makes more money. No regard for
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

Kiwirob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 am

According to the latest news Alfie might not be the father, there are another 8 guys who were banging the 15 year old minger (she must have been the local bike) so a paternity test will be carried out.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ticle.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10556870

NZ107

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:03 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 98):

Why would you want to admit you slept with a minger? Publicity affects a lot of people! I guess they'd never have another chance to try and get on the news..

If it's true.. 9 guys.. No protection.. Just doesn't sound right for a 15 year old.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

AustrianZRH

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 am

DocLightning, I congratulate you to your efforts, and this thread put you right onto my RU list (FWIW from an almost-newbie like me  Smile).
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

gardermoen

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 am

All this is so Skins meets Vicky Pollard.

Kiwirob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 99):
Why would you want to admit you slept with a minger? Publicity affects a lot of people! I guess they'd never have another chance to try and get on the news..

I think the Sun paid Alfie 25,000 pounds for his story, the other twerps want there slice of the pie and whoever is the dad will probably get on some talkshows.

seemyseems

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Now this is the last place I'd expect to see people talking about this story!

:D

In my school a girl had a baby at 16, which isn't as young as the girl in this story, but still very young!

Wish them all the best!  Smile
seemyseems in ATL

ACDC8

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 82):

The way I see it, parents have every right to know about the children's medical history until they reach the age of majority and are responsible for it.

HOWEVER, unfortunately, in the real world it just doesn't work that way anymore. Doctor/patient confidentiality is probably one of the most effective tool in getting kids tested, cured and kept from spreading STDs. I just hope that most parents and children have relationships that are strong enough where they can be open and honest with each other and don't have to hide things like this from each other.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

signol

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:21 pm

It has been reported that Alfie Patten has joined Fathers for Justice.
Apparently he has no idea about the politics but loves his new Spiderman suit.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

DocLightning

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 88):
Option 3: Kid catches something and tells his/her parents and then they help their child to be more responsible.

Or they beat the heck out of the kid. I've heard of "honor killings," too. I heard of one case where a girl told the doctor that if she was pregnant, her father would kill her boyfriend. The doctor said "you're exaggerating." She wasn't pregnant and then the father's reaction was "Good, because I would have had to kill her boyfriend if she were pregnant."  Wow!

However, I have sat down with both the kid and the parent in a few situations and helped moderate the conversation between the kid and the parent. I always encourage kids to be honest with their parents. It's amazing how many parents simply never have the birds-and-bees talk with their kids.

About that: I recommend two books, both by Peter Mayle. Where Did I Come From? and What's Happening to Me?. The first is about how a baby is made and the second is about puberty.

I don't have a good book to recommend about safer sex, though. Any recommendations?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

lamedianaranja

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Too bad that it has come to the attention of the media. That baby would have been better off being adopted by a couple desperate for a child.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!