Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KaiGywer
Topic Author

My 50 State Visit - Part 2

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm

So what happens when I don't update my states? My thread gets locked  Silly

Here's the original

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ums/non_aviation/read.main/2036390

Last time I posted I had just visited GA, CO, and WY.

Did a couple more these last few days:

February 20: Topeka, KS

Really cool visit, as we actually got to go all the way up to the top of the dome. Good view from the balcony

February 23, 2009: Charleston, WV

That dome sure is shiny

---

8 down, 42 to go
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

skygirl

RE: My 50 State Visit - Part 2

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 am

Only 42? Good luck! I've done all 50 states, and eventually I want to visit all the state capitols (I'm not sure how many I have left)

My current goal is to visit every national site ie parks, monuments, and the like.

Where to next?
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

MSYtristar

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:16 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
Really cool visit, as we actually got to go all the way up to the top of the dome. Good view from the balcony

When you visit LA be sure to check out the observation deck on the 27th floor of the capitol building. It's the tallest state capitol in the U.S (34 floors and 450 feet) and it gives you a good view of the BTR area.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 2):
When you visit LA be sure to check out the observation deck on the 27th floor of the capitol building. It's the tallest state capitol in the U.S (34 floors and 450 feet) and it gives you a good view of the BTR area.

Cool, thanks for the tip
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ALexeu

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Good job !

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 1):
My current goal is to visit every national site ie parks, monuments, and the like.

Where to next?

Every county in the USA !! There are over 3000...

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:03 am

Have a friend in Newport News, VA, so went out there last weekend. Got lucky and got the last seat on an overbooked flight coming back home(I hate snow in ATL even though I'm hundreds of miles away...).

Feb 28, Richmond, VA --- 9 down, 41 to go

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 2):

Cool, a IPSO deputy friend of mine will be showing me around  Smile

max550

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:47 pm

I've tried to do something similar, driving through all 50 states. I've got 40 so far, just missing MN, ND, SD, NE, WY, MT, ID, and WA. I'm excluding HI and possibly AK. I'd like to finish it up this summer with a nice long drive but that will depend on financing and if I can get the time off.
Good luck in your travels.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 pm

I hate public transport... Currently sitting at BNA waiting for the once an hour bus.. Oh well, only 25 minutes to go now  Smile

Go3Team

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):

Hmmm, I live in the same city, and I didn't know what it looked like.
Yay Pudding!

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, I'm over 20% done  Smile

Went down to Nashville on Friday and the weather was beautiful. I'm definately going back here some time. Then on Saturday did Madison, WI where the rain was pouring down. Oh well, I only spent 48 minutes in Madison  Smile

March 6 - Nashville,TN - 10 down, 40 to go

March 7 - Madison, WI - 11 down, 39 to go

WA707atMSP

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):

Richmond was my first state capital, and it made me a state capital enthusiast.

It is still among my favorites, because it was designed by Thomas Jefferson, and even has a dome that is not visible from the street.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:43 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 10):
even has a dome that is not visible from the street.

Yeah that was kinda cool

Superfly

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:29 am

8 down, 42 to go

KaiGywer my friend.
I've been to 45 of 50 states and can honestly tell you that about 35 states look exactly the same. I hope this isn't all in one trip.
If so, for the amount of money you spend on these trips you can get a very 'cultural' experience in Havana, Rio, Bangkok and Amsterdam.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
I hope this isn't all in one trip.

Haha no...I'm not that crazy  Smile

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
If so, for the amount of money you spend on these trips you can get a very 'cultural' experience in Havana, Rio, Bangkok and Amsterdam. Wink

Money? What?  Silly

Superfly

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:22 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 13):
Money? What?  

Ah-ha.
Seeing that you are working in customer service/crew support, I guess you get to fly for free.  Smile
Didn't know that Airliners.net treated their crew members so well.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

austinairport

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Come to Texas!!!!

The capitol is a scale model of the US Capitol!
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Seeing that you are working in customer service/crew support, I guess you get to fly for free. Smile

Yeah you know  Smile

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Didn't know that Airliners.net treated their crew members so well. Cool

You didn't know we have Global Express standing by for all our travel needs?  rotfl 

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 15):
Come to Texas!!!!

It's on my list  Smile Just waiting for a day with empty loads  Silly

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Des Moines, Iowa
March 12, 2009
12 down, 38 to go

A friend rented a Piper Arrow and we flew down to Des Moines where we got a courtesy car from the FBO at the airport. It was a fun flight  Smile

ALexeu

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Are you planing on visiting San Juan (Puerto Rico), Charlotte Amalie (US Virgin Islands), Hagatna (Guam), Pago Pago (American Samoa) and Saipan (N.Marianna Islands)?
These territories are overseas territories of USA.

Dougloid

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 17):
Des Moines, Iowa
March 12, 2009
12 down, 38 to go

I sure hope you took the time to take a look around the capitol. There is some fabulous artwork and sculpture there. Also, you could have had a look at the Polk County Court House with its frescoes and stained glass skylights...wonderful stuff.

Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:04 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 18):
Are you planing on visiting San Juan (Puerto Rico), Charlotte Amalie (US Virgin Islands), Hagatna (Guam), Pago Pago (American Samoa) and Saipan (N.Marianna Islands)?
These territories are overseas territories of USA.

Maybe at some point, but for now I'm sticking to the 50 states

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):
I sure hope you took the time to take a look around the capitol. There is some fabulous artwork and sculpture there. Also, you could have had a look at the Polk County Court House with its frescoes and stained glass skylights...wonderful stuff.

My buddies didn't wanna go inside...they much rather go eat...oh well..

steeler83

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Ah, so you're hitting the State Capitals (Capitols)... I thought you were going to hit as many popular tourist destinations as possible in each state.

Well, at least lets us know what you think of Harrisburg, PA! When it was built in 1902 to replace the one destroyed by a fire, it was considered to be the nicest State Capitol in the country. I've lived here all my life and have never had the privilage of being inside. I've been across the street numerous times tho, but I guess that does not count...

Do you plan on taking a hop and a skip down to Lancaster?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

DiamondFlyer

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Hate to bring up an old one, but did you see the spot in the top dome where there is a whole? Some lady jumped through it back in the early part of the century, if I recall.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:36 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 21):
Do you plan on taking a hop and a skip down to Lancaster?

Wasn't planning on it....why?

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 22):
Hate to bring up an old one, but did you see the spot in the top dome where there is a whole? Some lady jumped through it back in the early part of the century, if I recall.

Hmm, no, the dome looked pretty intact to me. Lots of interesting graffiti though

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:24 am

Looks like I might get another couple in this coming week. I'll probably do either LAN or BOS...or both  Smile

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:49 am

FINALLY...another one  Smile

Pierre, SD
April 18, 2009
13 down, 37 to go

ltbewr

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:25 pm

I have been in, actually touched my feet on the ground in 36 states, as well as Washington DC. That includes: my home state of NJ, where I work in NY; ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, PA, DE, MD, VA, WVA, NC, FL, AL, MS, TN, KY, OH, IN, MI, IL, MI, MO, SD, NM, AZ, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA. I did not count where only in the airport terminal for a state/territory (TX, HI, PR).
I have been inside the capital buildings for VT (Montpelier), IN (Indinapolis), MT (Helena), CO (Denver) & VA (Richmond, also a capital building for the CSA). I have been either in the city of the state capitol and in some cases within in walking distance of the capital buildings for WA (Olympia), NH (Concord), NJ (Trenton), NY (Albany), PA (Harrisonburg), KY (Frankfort, I was only in the old capital building), TN (Nashville), AZ (Phoenix), NM (Santa Fe), WY (Cheyenne), UT (SLC).
I do wish you could spend some time in some of these states to meet some of the locals, try good local food, see some great sights. Sounds like the justification for a grand road trip or a flying mileage run.

wcs

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:08 am

Hi all,

I think my counter stands at 42, which is nice for a European, isn't it?
I always have a blast anywhere in this country. States are different for sure but I can't remember one I would not visit again.

I'm right now in the Air France arrival lounge in CDG, back from another great trip between New York and Miami, via Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida. My flight arrived from MIA and I'm waiting for my upcoming one (from ORY) to BIQ, France.

My current passport proudly holds 15 stamps from customs in USA and Canada. Next trip? As soon as possible!

Feel free to have a look at my profile and see the website I run with Anthony, my brother and my frequent co-traveller. Anyone is by the way welcome to participate!

Edit: I realize this post is worthless without a couple of links, here they are, in sequence:

http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3297
http://www.usa-pictures.com/photos-of-chicago-illinois--3363.picture
http://www.usa-pictures.com/photos-of-chicago-illinois--3404.picture
http://www.usa-pictures.com/photos-o...Missouri-Saint-Louis--3431.picture
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3472
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3487
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3510
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3507
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3509
http://www.usa-pictures.com/big-pictures.asp?photos_id=3644

Hope you guys will enjoy!

I'm by the way still short of some States (less than 10). They definitively are on my To Do list!

Raphaël

[Edited 2009-04-21 02:15:54]

[Edited 2009-04-21 02:17:56]
FLY SKYTEAM JETS

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Another one down. Washington lived up to its reputation, it was raining. I also got to try Amtrak and I was pleasantly surprised.

Olympia, WA
May 3, 2009
14 down, 36 to go

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2009 7:47 pm

8063 miles, 3 flights, 26 hours away from MSP  Smile

Honolulu, HI
May 5, 2009
15 down, 35 to go

Superfly

Wed May 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
Honolulu, HI
May 5, 2009
15 down, 35 to go

Did you get a lay?
Bring back the Concorde

ALexeu

Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 26):
I did not count where only in the airport terminal for a state/territory (TX, HI, PR).

You should count that too! after all, the territory of the airport is an integral part of the state.

Quoting WCS (Reply 27):
I think my counter stands at 42, which is nice for a European, isn't it?
I always have a blast anywhere in this country. States are different for sure but I can't remember one I would not visit again.

Lucky you!! How about visiting all regions and departments of France?

Regards, Alex