Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Klaus

RE: High Speed Rail

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:04 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 149):
I'm terribly sorry to be pedantic, but what does nuclear waste storage have to do with high-speed rail?

The french TGV is run primarily with nuclear-generated electricity. It's a side issue, but when it's about the question of rail travel being environmentally friendly, it's still a relevant one. Not that it couldn't be discussed separately, but this thread has sort of run out of steam anyway.

baroque

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 149):
I'm terribly sorry to be pedantic, but what does nuclear waste storage have to do with high-speed rail?

Not at all and perhaps we should be elsewhere allowing our decay constants to do their work. As Klaus writes, an energy source for the TGV arguably on of the better HSR systems. Not sure about him using a "brighter than a thousand suns" smilie though!  cool   duck 

Klaus

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:29 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 151):
As Klaus writes, an energy source for the TGV arguably on of the better HSR systems.

...which merely is an issue regarding the ways the TGV is being subsidized but has no bearing on its qualities per se...

Quoting Baroque (Reply 151):
Not sure about him using a "brighter than a thousand suns" smilie though!

Not here. Unfortunately I couldn't find the happy mutants for nuclear energy! smiley online...!  mischievous 

AverageUser

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:43 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 148):
That's just delusional. We can't even provide the necessary reliability in the short term, much less for millenia to come!

Ok, is it you or is it me who's going to start a new thread on how to successfully and safely store nuclear waste? You have an obvious need to vent so let's do it in a place more proper, right?

Klaus

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 pm

As soon as you can provide an example of successful containment of highly toxic waste over several millenia we can talk. If not, it's simply irresponsible to burden coming generations that way for a temporary and replaceable benefit. That is the crux of the matter which doesn't just evaporate with a few arguments.

AverageUser

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Ok, so it'll me mine. I'll now need to go and see some people, so stay tuned on the channel.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 67):
And as I said, I don't think you represent the attitude of an average American.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 68):
Attitudes change with opportunity. At this point, americans don't have a choice.

There's a lot of truth to Klaus's statement. Japan is an excellent example. Space limitations and the need for high capacity transport options aside, culturally there is no reason for Japanese to have any less love for motoring than Americans. Walk into any bookstore in this country and you'll find dozens more magazines devoted to cars, car parts, car design and car history than nearly any other topic except women's fashion. Despite an utter lack of necessity (and parking!) for it, most middle class Japanese households have two cars as well.

However, opportunity and advantageous efficiency have shaped the way people here commute and travel for leisure in a way that transcends this country's love for motoring. There are many places where JR and/or two or three other local private railways compete on similar services on adjacent rights of way, if not the same one. The land use patterns have something to do with that, sure, but it's the desire to have options that created the situation in the first place.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty